Menu

Besides fondue, what did you eat in 70's?

I am going to a potluck party next week at a friend's house and for the theme, we are supposed to bring food from the 70's. (We always do a different theme for each get together.) For those of us that were alive in the 70's, what do you remember eating? I'd like to skip fondue because for our December gathering, we are going out to The Melting Pot fondue restaurant.

Thanks for your suggestions!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so healthy stuff:

• Tang (that orange sugar powder drink)
  • Kool-Aid
  • Lucky Charms cereal
  • Push-Ups (yogurt popsicle things that pushed up on a stick)
  • Tuna casserole
  • Fondue
  • Tootsie Pops
  • Astronaut sticks (I can't remember what they were really called)
  • Swedish meatballs
  • Molded Jell-O salads with cottage cheese, shredded carrots and celery :ack2:
  • Shepherd's Pie (recipe from Jr. High Home Ec) made with boxed mashed potatoes (isn't there a thread about potato buds?)
  • Kraft singles

"Health Food"

• Sprouts
  • tasteless granola
  • fruit leather
  • Banana chips
  • Roman Meal bread
  • "Diet" bread - it was sliced thinly, hence less calories

ETA: I'm having too much nostaligic fun with this thread!

Edited by BikeBookBread
thought of some more

Gallery of Regrettable Food (not that I ate like that mind you! LOL)

And I keep coming back to add more caveats.... 1) it's perhaps more Mid-century than 70s (although if I remember correctly it does go right up through the 70s... but I can't get the book without waking the DH) and 2) I apologize in advance for the humor. It's, uh, colorful. ;)

Edited by KAR120C

Funny you should ask this- my dc asked abaout snacks in th 70's a few weeks ago! I graduated high school in '76:001_smile:

I remember that I was in jr high school when I first tasted rice crispy treats and Rotel-cheese dip.:001_smile:

I love Rotel Cheese Dip.

Sloppy Joes are 70's? The kids and dh eat those all the time here ~ it's one of their fave meals. And someone mentioned Hamburger Helper ~ we use a lot of that too. Who knew we were so retro? :lol:

And I thought people were going to say:

Sloppy Joe's??? What are Sloppy Joe's? :D

Bill (who hasn't had a Sloppy Joe in 30 years :tongue_smilie:)

that grew under her bird feeder. She giggled and giggled, and it was only years later I found out what they were. This would be a good "mock" hash brownie.

• Sauerkraut Brownies

Yields 12 servings

Ingredients:

3/4 cup salted butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

3 eggs

1 tsp. almond extract

1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. flour

1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder

1 pkg. (16 oz.) Krrrrisp Kraut® or Silver Floss® Sauerkraut, rinsed and drained

1 cup water (approximate)

1/2 cup whole pecans

1/2 cup butterscotch chips

Method:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9" x 9" baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in sugar until blended, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in almond extract. In a medium bowl sift the flour and cocoa together. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stirring until combined. In a blender, puree Sauerkraut with approximately 1 cup water. Drain, then squeeze the Sauerkraut until water is removed. Mix Sauerkraut into batter. Stir in pecans and butterscotch chips. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes.

Cook’s Tip: May substitute walnuts or almonds for pecans; instead of butterscotch chips try chocolate, white chocolate, or peanut butter.

Per 1 brownie serving (135g): 340 calories (170 calories from fat); 19g total fat (11g saturated fat); 85mg cholesterol; 260mg sodium; 41g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber; 32g sugars); 4g protein

...mashed potato casserole....

...sloppy joes....

...whole milk...

...and my all-time not-so-favorite hot lunch at school....braised beef (more fondly known by us kids as braised barf)

Thanks for the memories!

Hey, we drink whole milk all the time--I guess we're retro too!:D

I unfortunately grew up on the typical So Cal healthy diet. Broiled halibut with lemon, white rice and vegetables. I was just telling my girls about getting fish bones stuck in the roof of your mouth. I attended every party and picnic I could, so I could get my hands on red punch, cake from a grocery store, and red meat!

When I became a latch key :) kid I was so excited because my mom took me to the market and let me stock up on frozen foods. The guilt got the best of her. I remember making chicken ala king by cooking the plastic pouch in boiling water, then pouring it on toast (wheat).

I remember shake and bake....was that the 70s or 80's? My parents didn't eat chicken but I remember begging to try it, it was fun but maybe not so good.

Edited by helena

Guest Virginia Dawn

cheddar and sardines on ritz

campbell's soups

spaghettios

green jello with canned pears

fried bologna

liverwurst

oven fried chicken rolled in corn flakes

frosted flakes or rice krispies for breakfast, with sugar sprinkled on top!

I had olive loaf on white bread too.

How did we survive?

I remember:

TV dinners-The ones with the fried chicken (thigh & leg), mashed potatoes, and corn. Of course, they took thirty minutes in the oven!!

Hamburger Helper-I remember when it was a new thing and our baby sitter made it for us for supper!

Kool-aid-I drank enough grape kool-aid one summer to sink a ship!

Tab-I don't think it's around any more. It was a diet cola type soda.

Texas Sheet Cake-my mom made this every time we went on a picnic

Lucky Charms-may have been around before the 70's, but I remember it being a favorite

When I became a latch key :) kid I was so excited because my mom took me to the market and let me stock up on frozen foods. The guilt got the best of her. I remember making chicken ala king by cooking the plastic pouch in boiling water, then pouring it on toast (wheat).

I was a latch key kid too :) I bet your Chicken a la King was Stouffers, too, huh? Remember the when the (still so) AWESOME Stouffers Mac & Cheese came out? Hey, there's another 70's food -- Stouffers frozen entrees made in the OVEN.

Oh oh oh! Thought of another! Swanson's frozen dinners in the foil trays with the strange dessert in the top center spot...

My mom often made Swiss steak and liver with onions. Have never cooked them, and don't intend to. All the other food must have been either really plain or really bad, because I don't remember any other foods from my childhood. Well, except the cabbage soup from my step-father's mother. And cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers. Oh, now the memories are flooding back.

My mom also made this thing called "Joe's special" or somesuch...spinach, hamburger, and scrambled eggs.

No wonder we all wanted to buy the world a Coke 30 years ago! :lol:

Actually my parents were both good cooks so I didn't suffer like so many others in the 70's. That's also when I learned to cook courtesy of my dad.

BikeBookBread, those Astronaut Sticks you remember had to be Space Food Sticks. Awesome. I loved the peanut butter flavor. One time my high school band went to Mexico City and I packed a suitcase full of 'em. It was almost all I ate all week. I was the only one of the marching band to not get dreadfully ill by the end of the week.

Another thing I miss is Carnation Breakfast Bars. I loved the vanilla flavor. Even though I was a teenager I would come home from school, pour a big glass of milk and eat a vanilla breakfast bar while watching old reruns of the Mickey Mouse Show and Leave it to Beaver. The closest thing to these nowadays is the Vanilla Yogurt flavor of the Power Bar - very close in taste and texture, although the Breakfast Bars were more like two squares of cake. Sometimes I have to get one just for the nostalgia.

Actually my parents were both good cooks so I didn't suffer like so many others in the 70's. That's also when I learned to cook courtesy of my dad.

BikeBookBread, those Astronaut Sticks you remember had to be Space Food Sticks. Awesome. I loved the peanut butter flavor. One time my high school band went to Mexico City and I packed a suitcase full of 'em. It was almost all I ate all week. I was the only one of the marching band to not get dreadfully ill by the end of the week.

YES -- Space Food!! Thank you!!!

Both of my parents were great cooks too...so I can't complain...except for the whole vegetables in Jell-O thing at church pot lucks.

And I thought people were going to say:

Sloppy Joe's??? What are Sloppy Joe's? :D

Bill (who hasn't had a Sloppy Joe in 30 years :tongue_smilie:)

Manwich sloppy joe's are a big favorite around here. Even DH, who is a very healthy eater, gets excited about those.

Michelle T

Guest Cindie2dds
If you want to make something kind of good from the 70s, the smart-set ladies in my neighborhood were making Boeuf Bourguignon from Julia Child's recipe in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."

It beat Tuna Casserole :D

Bill

Eww, Tuna casserole, I had forgotten about that. That brings back more memories.... fried spam, salmon patties, raw egg smoothies.... I will *not* torture my daughters!

How about "Shake and Bake"?

Remember that?

"For Chicken OR Pork!"

Oh, remember that ad for Wesson oil where Loretta Lynn left her feeeried chicken soaking in the oil for an hour because somethin' came up, and it was STILL CRISPY?! Mmm doggy.

Oh, and how about that pizza kit that came in a box. You poured the dry flour mix into the pan, added water, stirred it with a fork, them spread the sauce on top, added your toppings and baked. Mmmmm, "just like the pizzeria."

A salad I haven't had in years...but why? They were good.

Iceberg lettuce (either cut in wedges [really retro] or broken into leaves.

Sliced cucumbers.

Cherry Tomatoes, or sliced Tomatoes.

Bob's Big Boy Roquefort [best] or Blue Cheese Dressing.

Served on [and this is the IMPORTANT PART] frozen dinner plates. These must be in the freezer for hours prior to serving. Tossing the salad in a frozen stain-less steel bowl is a nice touch too.

Add fresh ground pepper at serving.

And a martini [gin, like I should have to say it :tongue_smilie:] couldn't hurt. Two olives please :D