Menu

Are you guys watching this?

how do attics in houses in Colorado work?

Most I have seen have had doors with stairs connected. These doors are in the ceiling. It would be REALLY tough for a 6yo to pull the door and stairs down at all; but to do it, he'd need a way to reach the string on the door. Then, he gets up there; but someone would have to close everything up and move the chair or whatever he used. How'd all that happen? And then how on earth can a little boy usually so rambunctious and naughty stay SO still and quiet for SO many hours?

Now, I know that there are some attics with stairs to them and that work just like a room, but you would have thought they wouldn't have waited 4-5 hours to check the house anyway.

It just seems fishy to me.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was watching the news, which was around 3pm (when I first saw it posted here), all they kept saying was "I hope this isn't an elaborate hoax...", "If this is an elaborate hoax, the really need to get a lawyer asap...", "Could this just be an elaborate hoax?..." I watched just before and as the balloon landed.

I didn't get to watch much of the coverage because no one at my house would be quiet enough to let me watch, but that struck me as interesting since that was about all I got out of the 10 minutes or so of coverage.

I really hope that that is not what the deal was.

how do attics in houses in Colorado work?

And then how on earth can a little boy usually so rambunctious and naughty stay SO still and quiet for SO many hours?

Now, I know that there are some attics with stairs to them and that work just like a room, but you would have thought they wouldn't have waited 4-5 hours to check the house anyway.

It just seems fishy to me.

Our house has a separate "attic" above the garage. I would call it: a space in the rafters with plywood down as a floor, but I could see someone calling it a garage attic, as there is enough room for a grownup to stand and it is about 2 cars wide. The previous owners put a ladder up there and let their kids use it as a fort and let neighborhood kids have sleep overs up there.:scared: But who knows how this will turn out. I am thinking he probably was scared and climbed into the box and then fell asleep. I am already imagining that social services will be called in regardless of how this went down.

Edited by Quad Shot Academy
forgot something

Our house has a separate "attic" above the garage. I would call it: a space in the rafters with plywood down as a floor, but I could see someone calling it a garage attic, as there is enough room for a grownup to stand and it is about 2 cars wide. The previous owners put a ladder up there and let their kids use it as a fort and let neighborhood kids have sleep overs up there.:scared: But who knows how this will turn out. I am thinking he probably was scared and climbed into the box and then fell asleep. I am already imagining that social services will be called in regardless of how this went down.

I thought he might have been the one who untethered the balloon and then hid because he thought he'd be in trouble. Perhaps?

After that theory popped into my head I sat my girls down to make sure they knew to NEVER, EVER hide from us, even if they thought they were going to get into trouble about something.

I thought he might have been the one who untethered the balloon and then hid because he thought he'd be in trouble. Perhaps?

After that theory popped into my head I sat my girls down to make sure they knew to NEVER, EVER hide from us, even if they thought they were going to get into trouble about something.

One of the first reports I heard was that one of his brothers told the parents he saw the 6 year old get into the balloon and untether it. Either way, glad he is safe.

My very first thought was that he probably hid thinking he was in trouble for losing the balloon, but once the hunt continued with so many people involved I figured that was not possible because the second thing I would do after calling 911 would be to strip my house and neighborhood of every hiding spot. I assumed if the parents didn't do that, police would.

It will be interesting to hear later details.

My very first thought was that he probably hid thinking he was in trouble for losing the balloon, but once the hunt continued with so many people involved I figured that was not possible because the second thing I would do after calling 911 would be to strip my house and neighborhood of every hiding spot. I assumed if the parents didn't do that, police would.

It will be interesting to hear later details.

I know. I guess they were so caught up in watching the balloon and trying to figure out how to rescue him that there was little focus left for searching for him back at home.

I just read that he had gotten in trouble (Dad yelled at him) for messing with the balloon and that is why the boy hid. Apparently played with toys and napped in the attic.

I also read that he was asked if he hid a lot and he said YES! So why the heck was that not considered?? Mind boggling.

But I guess I cannot judge since I have never thought my child was careening through the atmosphere :)

Nope. They really SHOULD have to pay for those costs, if it was a publicity stunt.

ITA! I am disgusted that they would pull this stunt. Between this story and the one about the teen set on fire, my heart was in my throat all day with worry for this children that I don't even know. To find out that this one was simply a stunt, for publicity, that I was on edge and wasting my energy worrying about a kid that was told to hide really irks me. They should be forced to pay for the rescue efforts.

my heart was in my throat all day with worry for this children that I don't even know.

you know, this is sorta off topic, but my mom and I had a discussion about this very thing a while back.

The hazard of modern life - with media, and even more so now that we are in media saturation - our emotions, adrenaline, etc get worked up and wrought over people who are actual strangers. Which leaves me to wonder how much we have left for those we know in real life who are hurting . . . .

Of course, I am posting this on an internet message board.

To complete strangers. ;)

I hardly call this a publicity stunt.....

If you were watching live, then you would see that when they interviewed the family in their front yard minutes after he was found, the anxiety and tears from the parents were very real and the situation was credible. The father was obviously shaken. He didn't want to talk about his inventions or himself and as hesitated as he described the craft as if it was not worth talking about, as if nothing was worth talking about beyond his son. A man who obviously had his heart wrenched out for most of the day. He broke into tears as he said he was sorry for yelling at the boy earlier in the day.

He said he was going to talk with his family before resuming any of his projects.

As we were listening live, just south of where this happened, no one was talking about this family's youtube stuff or the Wife Swap stuff. It wasn't until later on in the day as folks started wanting to know more about them did any of their family activities come out....

I found it particularly disappointing to hear different folks on the news and radio call them odd and strange, the only evidence being that the father likes to involve the family in projects and tries to involve them in thought beyond what they get in the Public School.

Many of us on here could be called strange and odd because we involve our kids in family activities other than watching TV. Oh, and there's that homeschool thing.

you know, this is sorta off topic, but my mom and I had a discussion about this very thing a while back.

The hazard of modern life - with media, and even more so now that we are in media saturation - our emotions, adrenaline, etc get worked up and wrought over people who are actual strangers. Which leaves me to wonder how much we have left for those we know in real life who are hurting . . . .

Of course, I am posting this on an internet message board.

To complete strangers. ;)

I think you have a major point there. I was snappish (okay out right grumpy) with my kids today because I was drained from worrying about these strange kids. My own kids were mostly good today, but because I was drained I wasn't as patient as I would have been normally. It is a weird thing for sure. Yet like you end up posting (and feeling connected) to strangers online.

Definitely watch if you can LaurieNE. It's not disturbing, and it's fun to see the dad squirming as his little boy tells the truth.

Essentially, the dad asks the boy why he didn't come out if he heard them calling him. Then the boy says it's because they (the parents, I'm assuming) said they were doing it for the show. It's VERY obvious.

If you were watching live, then you would see that when they interviewed the family in their front yard minutes after he was found, the anxiety and tears from the parents were very real and the situation was credible. The father was obviously shaken. He didn't want to talk about his inventions or himself and as hesitated as he described the craft as if it was not worth talking about, as if nothing was worth talking about beyond his son. A man who obviously had his heart wrenched out for most of the day. He broke into tears as he said he was sorry for yelling at the boy earlier in the day.

He said he was going to talk with his family before resuming any of his projects.

As we were listening live, just south of where this happened, no one was talking about this family's youtube stuff or the Wife Swap stuff. It wasn't until later on in the day as folks started wanting to know more about them did any of their family activities come out....

I found it particularly disappointing to hear different folks on the news and radio call them odd and strange, the only evidence being that the father likes to involve the family in projects and tries to involve them in thought beyond what they get in the Public School.

Many of us on here could be called strange and odd because we involve our kids in family activities other than watching TV. Oh, and there's that homeschool thing.

Did you watch the youtube link posted?

I think you have a major point there. I was snappish (okay out right grumpy) with my kids today because I was drained from worrying about these strange kids. My own kids were mostly good today, but because I was drained I wasn't as patient as I would have been normally. It is a weird thing for sure. Yet like you end up posting (and feeling connected) to strangers online.

I didn't follow it as closely as you did, Brandy, but you know what? I understand. And fwiw, my mom and I had this discussion after JFK Jr. died. I was asking her what it was like when JFK died, and we talked about how much impact the "new" medium of TV had on her reaction. . .

I'm seriously in need of an internet/board break, I think. Maybe for the weekend. My patience is down, I'm distracted . . . but right now, I'm using it as a diversion for some less than good things going in IRL. Pathetic, but true. There, I admitted it.

of course, now I'm about to watch The Six Wives of Henry VIII on Netflix.:D

I'll go watch the YouTube link. I didn't see anything on TV, but i read that the parents were crying. When I read that I thought it's not hoax, although I had wondered a bit at first.

So they faked it all? They had all those little boys lie? Could the little boy be confused by the question? Nothing surprises me, really, But geesh, little kids being used like that makes me angry. I hope it's not true. For the kids' sake.

I don't find the parents strange at all; in fact, when I first heard their story I thought they sounded like the kind of people I'd really like to hang out with! But, the more I heard about their appearances on television, as it became apparent there was no basket attached to the balloon...I became suspicious. I don't know the family, and I am not from the area, so I'm sure you have a better hold on this than I do, but it is certainly an uncomfortable moment in the video when a six year old boy tells his parents "you said it was for the show", and they're both at a loss for words. I agree with what you're saying though: when we don't know the story, we (especially I) need to try not to judge people in the limelight. It's especially bad when they're in the spotlight for a missing child...

Huh.

I wonder who was all involved in this thing, though. As I said in an earlier post, the news channel I was watching earlier today kept contemplating (a lot) about whether it may have been a hoax. And this was before/during landing. I have a feeling it wasn't just the parents and a fun hoax.

I'll go watch the YouTube link. I didn't see anything on TV, but i read that the parents were crying. When I read that I thought it's not hoax, although I had wondered a bit at first.

So they faked it all? They had all those little boys lie? Could the little boy be confused by the question? Nothing surprises me, really, But geesh, little kids being used like that makes me angry. I hope it's not true. For the kids' sake.

I don't think lying is a problem for this family. Have you SEEN the wife swap? The father is out of control. The boys ALL gave the finger to the camera when introduced. Even the then 5 year old Falcon. After watching the youtube interview it is patently OBVIOUS that the whole thing was set up, the boys were in on it, and Falcon just messed up by accidentally telling the truth. His father was virtually tongue tied after his truthful answer. He ignored Falcons words and went on to make no sense. Disturbing to say the least. They most certainly should be charged the cost of the "rescue" and then some. Someone could have died or been injured trying to help that boy!

I After watching the youtube interview it is patently OBVIOUS that the whole thing was set up, the boys were in on it, and Falcon just messed up by accidentally telling the truth. His father was virtually tongue tied after his truthful answer. He ignored Falcons words and went on to make no sense. Disturbing to say the least. They most certainly should be charged the cost of the "rescue" and then some. Someone could have died or been injured trying to help that boy!

Yep.

Edited by Spy Car

In regards to whether or not the parents are lying the mere fact that their affects are respectively not matching to the words they are uttering gives me pause. I have dealt with some skilled liars before and these two are just not any good...they are definitely hiding something other than the obvious dysfunction in the home.

Sick. Disgusting. Pathetic.

Could it be that the boy's response, "You said it was for the show," is because he thought the balloon/aircraft thing was for a show and he thought he was in trouble for letting it go? I'm just trying to figure this out and not rush to conclusions. I know 6 yr olds sometimes get their facts wrong or say things incorrectly.

Could it be that the boy's response, "You said it was for the show," is because he thought the balloon/aircraft thing was for a show and he thought he was in trouble for letting it go? I'm just trying to figure this out and not rush to conclusions. I know 6 yr olds sometimes get their facts wrong or say things incorrectly.

Doubtful. Why wouldn't the dad just clarify instead of dancing around and making no sense? He was on national television, if he could have corrected or clarified the boy's statement, he certainly should have done that instead of what he ended up doing.

It's a nice thought, though ;).

I did watch the clip of Wife/Swap posted in this thread, and I thought the father had serious anger management issues.

But then, if you want to be on TV like that, I am sure you need to step it up a notch. Or 100.

I am just glad the boy did not plummet to his death from thousands of feet up in the air.

If it's a hoax, law enforcement in that town better keep their eyes on those kids in the coming years.

Edited by LibraryLover

I think it was a hoax because:

A - the brothers said they saw him get into the balloon before it took off, but obviously they didn't.

B - the parents didn't mention the attachment the he was supposedly inside being missing from the balloon until much later.

C - the little boy seemed confused when asked by his father why he didn't come out when he was called.

D - the little boy said something about it being "for the show".

E - his father was obviously flustered after that and his explanation made no sense.

F - in another interview after the slip-up, the father became unnecessarily defensive when the reporter was just asking for clarification about the "for the show" comment.

It's really sad that they would do something like this and there should be some consequences. There was a lot of money and time wasted today.

Now, with that said, I hope that I am wrong about it having been a hoax.

Presley probably considered linking the Heene boy youtube video. Considering the title of the boy's video is offensive, I can't even imagine. Seriously, what kind of people have their 5-9yr olds talking in ways that the average adult can't stomach? It's worse than flipping off the camera on the show that someone mentioned above.

Good parents aren't encouraging this behavior!

Anyway, I saw the father after the boy was found. I wondered if it was an act. Something seemed off to me. I pushed that out of my mind, but...

I think had it been for some other show, the dad could easily have said, "oh yeah, you thought I'd be upset since the balloon was for the Such-N-Such show. Falcon, I want you to know that I might have been mad, even yelled, but no matter what you do I love you and you are much more important than a balloon or a show."

Parents were caught in a lie.

Edited by 2J5M9K