Menu

Are you guys watching this?

I hope this is not a hoax, but rather a case of a little boy scared to come home because of the ruckus. They usually come home safe and sound though. I hope he really didn't fall out somewhere though.

Either way, I hope this doesn't yet prove to be a tragedy. And that the boy is safe.

Bill

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read it on the internet and we all know the internet can't be wrong :D

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/tv/episodeguide/wife_swap_s5_e16/

I really hope this is a hoax.

Bill

That article states the other Wife Swap family was homeschooling, not this family with the missing boy.

I also hope all is well, but I can't help but think something would have come out by now, with so many people involved.

Surly ~ You didn't sound insensitive at all. "My first thought" is a figure of speech. Of course our very instant reaction is oh no!! For the parents, for the boy. For everyone.

But my second thought, too, was: uh oh. Now I've gotta call my mom and promise not to build helium balloons that the kids could climb in.

Alley

I can't find it now..there are so many articles...one said there was a box attached to the balloon that was not there on landing. That's too much to think about. Poor little guy if he really was up there.

Yes, I just read, they are searching for a box that was attached to the balloon :(

I'm thinking that if he is at home, or near home, and just hiding, he might be even more afraid to come out of hiding if there are cameras and reporters and police everywhere....

I don't know if a six-year-old boy could have that much willpower for that long. And while I know the descriptions of families are always altered to seem worse on those reality TV shows, it doesn't sound like they have the sort of family atmosphere where kids are afraid of adults. I have gone from really hoping the kid wasn't in there to really hoping the parents weren't dumb enough to put the kid in there. Reports are saying the family didn't think it would go more than 20 feet up.

I can't find it now..there are so many articles...one said there was a box attached to the balloon that was not there on landing. That's too much to think about. Poor little guy if he really was up there.

Yes, that is what our local news is reporting:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=125161&catid=339'>http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=125161&catid=339'>http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=125161&catid=339'>http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=125161&catid=339

including what appears to be a digital picture of something falling:

http://www.9news.com/

I was reading an article about it and thought that the family sounded unusual. Homeschoolers--I thought. I just came here to see if it was true. So it's true?

Despite rumor-mongering by the usual suspects (OK it was me :D) it does not appear they were homeschoolers.

Bill

I've been struggling with the "box" attachment thing. Part of me just doesn't want to think there was something there that has fallen off, I think. But, if there was a box attached, wouldn't the parents have said something during the 2+ (3?) hours that thing was floating in the air? I mean it was on live television and it was obvious there was no box, yet the family & rescue team expected to find that boy when the craft landed. Heck, I have no idea. I just want a nice, safe ending to this... now.

How much weight could 500 cf of helium carry?

ETA: DS and I figured it should only be able to carry about 45 lbs (using some pretty rough estimates). My (soon to be) 6 yo weighs 44 lbs. (He's tall but skinny.) Hmmmm... I wonder how much the balloon itself weighs.

He weighs 37 lbs. They have done a reverse 911 asking people to go out and look in their fields for him.

He weighs 37 lbs. They have done a reverse 911 asking people to go out and look in their fields for him.

That poor little thing....could he have landed in a place where the fall could be broken and/or gentled? Is that a possibility in the area? Do they know how high the balloon was when they thought they saw something fall?

I've been struggling with the "box" attachment thing. Part of me just doesn't want to think there was something there that has fallen off, I think. But, if there was a box attached, wouldn't the parents have said something during the 2+ (3?) hours that thing was floating in the air? I mean it was on live television and it was obvious there was no box, yet the family & rescue team expected to find that boy when the craft landed. Heck, I have no idea. I just want a nice, safe ending to this... now.

That's what I was thinking.

Still hoping he's hiding somewhere...

I had never been on the twitter site before yesterday. When I was reading online about this situation, I noticed you can get breaking news from MSNBC on twitter.

Anyway... here is what was just posted:

Cops say balloon had no basket. 'From our understanding, the balloon that landed is in the same condition as what had taken off.'

http://twitter.com/msnbc_breaking

That poor little thing....could he have landed in a place where the fall could be broken and/or gentled? Is that a possibility in the area? Do they know how high the balloon was when they thought they saw something fall?

Sadly, it is either houses or empty fields, not many lush forests around here. They are racing the sunset right now. Too sad. They are getting out infrared sensors now.

11:30 MT took off

no basket according to police

balloon had limited capability of even lifting a 37 pound kid

the something falling was quite aways away from home...it wouldn't be the basket as no one saw the basket all the time they had cameras on the balloon. And they saw there was no evidence the kid had been in balloon so not likely he fell out of it.

Doesn't it seem kid is probably on the ground somewhere? WCS would be someone is doing this as a coverup. Best case is it's a gag by kids or hoax but family. Not sure what other options there are.

hopefully kiddo is okay....

ETA: If he's been found (not on CNN yet!), YAY!!!!!!!!!!

now listening to the news anchors is hilarious...

boy can that boy hide...

staff in the newsroom have been talking about crazy stuff their kids have done in the past and how lucky they were...

rotflol

kid was hiding in a cardboard box in the attic above the garage.

oh man. once I got done bawling and squeezing the life out of him! kwim?

brother may have seen him crawl in and the thing take off, but not seen boy jump out and go hide? I can totally see that happening.