Menu

This is a stupid question about Kohl's

My sister works there. They have great deals and sales all the time. I buy all my daughter's clothes there because the clothes are better quality than target but cost the same or less. They have good buyers for their clothes, their in house brands are good quality, and they tend to buy too much for it to fit in the store and then reduce prices to move it out. I don't think the prices on their housewares are as good as the prices for clothes. I think their vacuums are more expensive than other places, but I may be wrong. I don't have a Kohls card or use my sister's discount, but I find there is always a good deal there anyway.

My sister works there. They have great deals and sales all the time. I buy all my daughter's clothes there because the clothes are better quality than target but cost the same or less. They have good buyers for their clothes' date=' their in house brands are good quality, and they tend to buy too much for it to fit in the store and then reduce prices to move it out. I don't think the prices on their housewares are as good as the prices for clothes. I think their vacuums are more expensive than other places, but I may be wrong. I don't have a Kohls card or use my sister's discount, but I find there is always a good deal there anyway.[/quote']

Oh, I know the quality is good (I'm not slamming Kohl's at all!)...I just want in on how to pay less than the tag-price of an item, like so many people say they do!

I rarely get out to go shopping and when I do, it's only places with shopping carts and I have a list. But, I love Kohl's. I got this really cute "Simply Vera Wang" shirt, that was originally $59 and I paid $5.40 for it. You do have to have time (and no children with you) to go through the clearance racks, but every time I've been there I've gotten really good deals. I rarely get a chance to shop there (once or twice a year), but when I do I don't regret it.

Watch the papers - it seems they are always having a grand opening somewhere, which means every store has the prices. They have special "early bird" pricing which saves even more than the sale 50% off. Thier clothes hit the clearance rack nearly as soon as they come out, and those are like 70-90% off - definitely worth the trip because a lot of the time the clearance clothes are still in season. Often, we will recieve extra discounts in the mail for an additional 15-20% off the already sale price, or $10 off a $50 purchase. Those started to come when they began to have financial probs last year.

I don't have a Kohls credit card, but I'm told they mail you even more coupons if you do.

We shop at Kohl's. It can be irratating, but I can also find deals. They mark up their pirces and then mark it down. SO you have to watch sales. When things are on sale, you can get a good deal. But I would not buy most stuff unless its on sale. We watch for sales, and shop sales racks. I don't usually wate time looking at stuff that isn't marked down. ANother reason I like it is because they have petites for me, and tall sizes for my dh and ds.

That's what I've wondered. Yeah, they have sales, but the sale price is still WAY more than Walmart or other places we get things!

This is true, but, the quality of the merchandise is much better. Anything I buy at Kohl's outlasts purchases from other stores.

I bought shoes at both Target and Kohl's for myself. My Kohl's shoes are in wonderful shape after over a year of ownership, my Target shoes barely survived the season.

My husband and I both own clothes from Kohl's that are over a year old and barely show any wear. We have similar clothing from Target, and they are visibly getting worn.

Kohl's always has a sale. I get spammed with email sale notifications from them. Last year I bought some Levi's there, on sale, and spent enough money that at the register they gave me a coupon for $10 of my bill. I ended up getting an item for my daughter completely free.

So for things I want to last, I buy at Kohl's if I can.

Boy, I just haven't seen prices like that at our Kohl's! We were looking at jeans for my ds and they advertized 50% off sale on some--the cheapest we saw at that 50% off were plain jeans, and they were $28. The same jeans were at Costco for $12.99! Maybe I'll have to look again, but surely didn't find great prices on the clothes when I went!

As for quality, I look for things that are better quality, and I have stuff that I've gotten at other stores that are YEARS old and still going. I buy more for the kids than for me, since they're still growing, and I'm trying NOT to keep growing! ;) Like I said....I'll take another look or two and see if I can find some good deals. I was just disappointed at my last try!

Edited by Brindee

Yeah, they have sales, but the sale price is still WAY more than Walmart or other places we get things!

This is especially true for small appliances from Kohls! I purchased a hand held steam cleaner that was 40% off at Kohls, and on my way home I needed to stop at Walmart, so I checked the price there ... it was $2 cheaper at Walmart's REGULAR PRICE!!

So, yeah, watch those sales.

But, as another poster pointed out, I agree that the quality for clothes, shoes, bedding, etc is better than other large discount chains.

We NEVER pay full price--if it is not on sale now it WILL be next week...

Right now they are selling fall sweaters and long-sleved shirts--well here in central Texas it is late December before we are ready (cool enough) for those items--but they WILL be on clearance then---so PERFECT TIMING!

Every month or so they give 'Kohls Cash'--a $10 coupon for every $50 spent. With a family of 5 we wait until these sales to purchase jeans (and shoes if we can find them), plus DH goes through dress slacks very quickly. A few days after the 'sale' (prices are always good at this time too) we go back and use the Kohls Cash on something else we needed/wanted. One year I had $70 in Kohls Cash at one time (we waited as long as we could to purchase new clothes/shoes as a family--with 3 growing girls who can't pass down because of age/body type). Even though I spent $350 the sticker price was $1000 and with the Kohls Cash I purchased another $300 worth of stuff... too bad we don't have the money to shop like this very often.

We are happy with the quality of the clothing we purchase there--DH likes certain brands and I saves me a trip to the mall because they sell his brand at Kohls.

I shop at Kohls. The Kohls card does give you extra discounts during the course of the year. Flyers will be either 15, 20 or 30%. If it isn't 30%, I don't even bother with it. So it has to be a good sale, plus a 30% discount. I few weeks ago they had spend $50 and get $10 back for a future purchase. I made a couple of large purchases and had Kohls money to spend, I took my dh shopping (he hates to shop but needed new clothes) and was able to use my 30% disocunt again, plus use the Kohls money. Kohls is one store where the store card is of benefit. The 15, 20 or 30% discounts for card holders are good for the duration of the sale period, usually a week or so.

Yvonne

Edited by yinne

I'm not sure why I'm on their list, but I get coupons in the mail a few times a year that give me an extra 20% off my entire purchase (including sales items). Last year, I did a bunch of Christmas shopping one day when they were having a big sale and I had a 20% off coupon. Then I also got a $10 certificate for every $75 I spent (or something like that), which I used on a future purchase.

Wendi

I shop at Kohls. The Kohls card does give you extra discounts during the course of the year.

You get the sale price PLUS and additional 15, 20 or 30% off 12 to 18 times/year with your Kohl's credit card.

Check the clearance racks for STEEP discounts.

Yes, the quality of clothes is usually better than Walmart or Target clothes.

You can get great deals there but look at the clearance racks. Unless it is AT LEAST 50% off, I don't even look. Then when you add in the $10 off $50 (includes clearance) or 30% off your total bill (again includes clearance) the deals are pretty good.

I have also found good towels on 60% off sales with more off which makes them affordable and better quality than Walmart.

For clothes, Sears clearance can be good as well. They also will replace any worn out clothing (like holes in knees) etc. if the child wears it out before they out grow it.

I love shopping at Kohl's but usually shop online - for me, it's easier than dragging the kids along, and I can usually find an online coupon to use (there's almost always one for Kohl's cardholders), and then take advantage of free shipping on orders over $75. If something doesn't fit, I can take it back to the store. They also run the get $10 for every $50 you spend online, and you just print off the coupon (and then I will take it to the store and shop).

I love Kohls because of their clearance and coupons. This is the only dept store credit card I have because of all the coupons they send you. I use the cc and then pay it off in full. For instance - I just bought 2 blouses marked down 90% off and then got and ADDITIONAL 30% off on top of that. Combined it with some stuff my mom was buy and got $10 of Kohls cash (basically a gift certificate) for spending $50. I never, ever buy something full price there or actually anything JUST on sale. I almost always have a % off coupon or Kohl's cash. You can't beat their clearance prices either. Yep, I love Kohls.

Everything is always on sale. And if its not I won't buy it.

I have bought a ton of clothes their for my kids over the past few years. The quality has been great (they have lasted for two years before they outgrew them).

You can also get great deals on sneakers and other things.

I just bought my son 3 shirts for $48 (on sale of course).

This is especially true for small appliances from Kohls! I purchased a hand held steam cleaner that was 40% off at Kohls, and on my way home I needed to stop at Walmart, so I checked the price there ... it was $2 cheaper at Walmart's REGULAR PRICE!!

So, yeah, watch those sales.

But, as another poster pointed out, I agree that the quality for clothes, shoes, bedding, etc is better than other large discount chains.

:iagree:Their housewares section seems to be overpriced. The only people I know who buy from there want to be able to take the item back if they don't like it. They have a good return policy.

You've gotten some great responses. We have a Kohl's card I use to earn the % off coupons. I come directly home and pay the bill but it still counts as actually using the card. I wait until the end of season sales and buy ahead. I have 2 boys so I'll often spend a bit more on my oldest with the knowledge that my youngest will use it too. I usually buy jeans at the end of season for under $5 each. I do this by waiting until they are 70% off or more and add another 10-30% coupon on top (or Kohl's cash). The quality of the clothing, I find, is better than Walmart, etc.

The same deals can be had on line if you prefer.

I love Kohls because of their clearance and coupons. This is the only dept store credit card I have because of all the coupons they send you. I use the cc and then pay it off in full.

:iagree: Same here.... I have two store cc's, one is Kohls for the coupons, I just pay it off when the bill comes in. Same as cash to me. And Firestone because for a major car repair, I can pay it off in 90 days with no interest. Sometimes, with car repairs, it's got to be done (dh can't just call work and say "sorry, the car won't start", and it's not easy getting my car on post), and it might not be in the budget for one month, so this really helps.

I fell for it many years ago... got the cc for Kohl's and did the sales. At first, it SEEMS you are saving $$$. But when I'd go to pay the bill at the end of the month, I got upset to see the APR % and fees add up to the "savings". I cancelled the card after a year of that folly. Plus, they charge a lot of $$ for items! WalMart is way cheaper.

I've had much better luck at the big Macy's clearance sales than at Kohl's. I never pay more than 50% off for anything, and it's usually more like 75-80% off. I recently picked up some beautiful bath towels for $4 each that were originally $24, and I got several pairs of capris off the clearance racks this summer for $7/pair (originally around $40).

You can sign up for a Macy's card and get all the emails and sales flyers and discount coupons and "preview days," but you don't have to use the card for purchases in order to get the discounts (if you want to avoid any fees or interest).

Jackie

The way to save at Kohls is to only use their charge card. When I shop, I only shop if I have a discount coupon that they have mailed to me. It's either 15, 20, or 30% off. Then I buy items that are 40-50% off. I don't shop often but I buy a lot when they have a sale (which is most of the time) and it's a new season and I have 4 dc to buy for. The more you shop the higher the discount coupons get, although once they send me a 30% off coupon then next ones are one of the lower coupons. Also, they do have the "door buster" items/categories that are good deals as well.

My Kohl's charge card is the only card I use besides my Discover since we pay our cards off each month and only want to keep up with one. I make an exception for Kohl's because I want the savings. I think now that the Kohl's bill comes to us online, it's easier to remember to pay it.

I think the quality is simiar to Target (at least for the ladies clothes). The kids clothes may be better than Target quality. The little girl clothes are nice and I buy many of my boys' pants there.

I fell for it many years ago... got the cc for Kohl's and did the sales. At first, it SEEMS you are saving $$$. But when I'd go to pay the bill at the end of the month, I got upset to see the APR % and fees add up to the "savings". I cancelled the card after a year of that folly. Plus, they charge a lot of $$ for items! WalMart is way cheaper.

As long as you pay the bill in full each month, there are no finance charges or fees. I agree it would not be a good deal to use the credit card unless you are going to pay your balance in full each month. I actually pay mine the same day I make the purchase because I can go online and make the payment.

They do have great sales, and I only shop the clearance racks.

I went in this past week and spent $75 on summer clothes for me for next year. It said at checkout I had saved $385 as most of the clothes were on clearance for anywhere from 60 to 80% off plus I had a $5.00 off coupon.

I bought 7 new shirts (dressy and nice), 2 pairs of shorts (nice knee length), 2 capris and a pair of new Levi's for $75....pretty good deal. :D

Two weeks ago I bought at Kohls on clearance:

I bought dd a gorgeous dress, marked $75.00 for $8.00 (Vera Wang) and another daughter a dressy dress marked $56.00 for $10.00. So yes they have good deals but you have to dig and look through the clearance.

Every.

Single.

Time I have ever shopped at Kohl's I picked stuff out and added the total up in my head and EVER TIME I had vastly over-estimated the total! Why? Things were marked down again, but not marked on the tag, so I always ended up getting a better deal than I thought I would!

Oh, and we also pay the bill as soon as we get home from the store. No extra charges!

I have no idea how they do it and stay in business but my kids love Kohls. Everytime we go we end up with a boatload of clothes for MUCH less than I would expect to pay for that much clothing.

Another place like that is Old Navy. Sometimes it seems like they practically pay me to shop there.

Throw in ROSS, Goodwill, Plato's Closet and Rue 21 and you can tell why I am drowning in clothes here.

My kids spend a lot of their own money on clothes and then when I give then a budget for clothes they stretch it to the breaking point.

It has reached a point where I am going to start paying them for every piece of clothing they give me to get rid of just because it is becoming impossible to manage all these clothes.

There is no APR or fees if you pay the bill in full before the due date. Most clothing items are better quality than Walmart/Kmart but about the same price, if not less, when they are on sale plus a coupon. At least for me, they are....