Menu

I believe that when Sylvia Plath made her...

fateful decision, it was really dinnertime. She had been standing in front of that oven, hoping to be inspired.There was no inspiration, only little voices that were asking her, "What's for dinner?" She tells them only to be met with stoney silence. Then, "Is there anything else?" "I don't like..." "We had that last week." "Is there a vegetarian option?"

The only thing that keeps me from running through the streets sans clothing yelling, "No more dinner-ever" is that some of you have even more bodies asking those questions than I do. Out of respect, I will serve my tortellini with Alfredo sauce and a whole grain french bread. After I clean up, I will go to a dark corner and press a stiff, cool, glass of adult beverage of choice against my head. And think about tomorrow night...

Vegetarian Indian food. Woo Hoo! :D

Can I come to your house?? I LOVE Indian food, but I'm the only one in my house who does. :( I rarely cook it because it is only for me and I would still have to cook something different for my dh and dd and then of course my son only eats pizza.:tongue_smilie: Can your wife make roti?? If she can I'm so there if you'll have me of course. ;) I can bring dessert. :D

Yep. I won't answer that question when the kids ask either. And when dh calls me to tell me he's on his way home that's one of his first questions and I often get met with a disappointed sounding "Oh." I'm sick of making dinner for these people.

Dh hasn't figured out yet that when I'm tired of cooking and want to eat out, I tell him we're having one of the things he doesn't like!:D

When I tell my kids I am making food for dinner, they ask me what kind of food. I usually say the edible kind. We have a few rules about dinner because I work very hard at making dinner, or any meal for that matter.

1. Anything they serve themselves they must eat.

2. Anything I put on their plate, they must take a 'polite bite.'

3. No one is allowed to say anything negative about the meal. We observe the rule of Thumper's mother. In fact, the only comments about the food should be positive. They are allowed to say, "It is not my favorite," if they didn't like it.

I know some people think I am squishing their opinions about food but to be honest, I am not interested in their opinions. I am not cooking for the newspaper food critic. I am a mom who is doing her best to nourish their bodies and souls. Those efforts deserve positive recognition not a constant litany of who doesn't like what.

Menu planning and bulk prep also help me cut down on the daily grind of dinner.

Amber in SJ

Believe it or not (and I know it sounds extreme) one of the reasons we moved to India was...dinner time! I was tired of my (Indian) husband turning up his nose at American food and my kids turning up their noses at other food - all after I spent time planning and preparing a meal! So we moved to India with the understanding that we will hire a cook (a very typical thing for a family here to do.) Now my husband doesn't like the cook's Indian food, my kids still complain but somehow not having been the one to prepare the meal - I don't take it personally any more!

When I tell my kids I am making food for dinner, they ask me what kind of food. I usually say the edible kind. We have a few rules about dinner because I work very hard at making dinner, or any meal for that matter.

1. Anything they serve themselves they must eat.

2. Anything I put on their plate, they must take a 'polite bite.'

3. No one is allowed to say anything negative about the meal. We observe the rule of Thumper's mother. In fact, the only comments about the food should be positive. They are allowed to say, "It is not my favorite," if they didn't like it.

I know some people think I am squishing their opinions about food but to be honest, I am not interested in their opinions. I am not cooking for the newspaper food critic. I am a mom who is doing her best to nourish their bodies and souls. Those efforts deserve positive recognition not a constant litany of who doesn't like what.

Menu planning and bulk prep also help me cut down on the daily grind of dinner.

Amber in SJ

Yes, exactly. It is not squashing their opinions to require that my children accept graciously what others' hands have prepared for them. They may have opinions all they want, but expressing them rudely is not an option.

And I don't make disgusting food.

(Except for that time I accidentally boiled half the water out of the rice and the 8 y.o. declared the crunchy - nasty, chalky, inedible - rice was her *favorite*!)

Believe it or not (and I know it sounds extreme) one of the reasons we moved to India was...dinner time! I was tired of my (Indian) husband turning up his nose at American food and my kids turning up their noses at other food - all after I spent time planning and preparing a meal! So we moved to India with the understanding that we will hire a cook (a very typical thing for a family here to do.) Now my husband doesn't like the cook's Indian food, my kids still complain but somehow not having been the one to prepare the meal - I don't take it personally any more!

Oooh, that makes me want to move to India!

Believe it or not (and I know it sounds extreme) one of the reasons we moved to India was...dinner time!

You are too awesome. I commend your brilliance.

At least in many cultures, a reasonable response to "What's for dinner?" is to name the main starch, e.g. "Rice." :) Works in my house.

We have similiar rules....and my daughter's phrase is "I have different preferences". Uh ok.

I was tired of the disappointment in both kids and hubby's voice when I answered what was for dinner too.....so I decided to turn that horrible decision making process back at them. You don't like what I figure out for meals, then figure it out yourselves bucko! So now we have a white board on the inside of the pantry cabinet....it is labeled with the days of the week. Once a week we gather together and decide what we are going to eat for the next week....I provide a list of things that are in the freezer that we should be using, or what is on sale that week at the grocery to give us a jumping off point. Then everyone has to contribute at least one suggestion. Sometimes we can't do a particular request that week for various reasons (not on sale/too expensive right now, busy week and it's a more difficult or time requirement meal, etc).....those items are listed on the much smaller white board under the main one to be used at a future time. During the summer there is also a ban on long oven use, lol, so we have a lot of fall/winter items on our "future" board right now.

Not only does this save me the staring into the freezer at noon (if I'm lucky, 4pm if I forgot) in a panic about dinner tonight.....no running out to the store last minute because now I know exactly what we'll be eating so my grocery list for the week is set.....and best of all the "What's for dinner" is responded by "look at the board".

The "food" response was also big in my husband's childhood and it sets him in a bad mood, so I have to avoid it, unless I'm in the mood to annoy him, lol. But I have had a wonderful time annoying the kids with that......hmmmm, guess when they're adults they'll hate it just like Daddy does and for the same reason. More fodder for their psych's couch at midlife crisis I guess.

I will go to a dark corner and press a stiff, cool, glass of adult beverage of choice against my head. And think about tomorrow night...

Hmmm, just my opinion and observation....but a much better practice is to press it against your partly open lips. :lol: Repeatedly.

My son asks me what's for dinner almost every night. Recently, I answer and then brace myself only to get a surprise response of, "That sounds like a really nice dinner Mom". What?! When did that happen? This is my allergic, picky child. The one who I used to have to put his breakfast in front of and then run upstairs to my bedroom, shut the door and start the blow dryer because he would automatically have a meltdown at every meal.

I don't know what made him decide to turn it around, but boy, I do love that kid. I need to make sure he knows how much I appreciate that response.

Lisa

This is why when my children say "what's for dinner?" I say "food." Seriously, I won't even discuss it until it's on the table. :tongue_smilie:

I try this approach, but they are more persistent than I am stubborn. At least we have finally reached the point where the kids wil no longer voice their disgust. I don't make them eat everything ... they don't say anything negative ... I consider it a fair trade.

DH has learned that he can smile and say "that was a great meal" no matter what it was and it wins him points. He's getting good at that :D

Karen

No one is allowed to ask what's for dinner in our house. It's a rule. And a great one!

Same here, and the only comments allowed on dinner are, "Thanks mom, this is delcious," if they feel so. "Thank you," is required whether they think it i delicious or not. We are training them to be fabulous dinner guests. :D

This thread has made me realize I need to go give my dh a hug. No matter what I make, or how badly I may mess up dinner from time to time, he always thanks me for the meal. Like he means it too. He hates cooking so badly, I think he's just thrilled to have someone prepare anything edible for him! And I hate doing laundry so badly, that I am thrilled to have a husband who prefers to wash his own clothes. It all works out.

I guess he has provided a good example for our daughter too. She's a little more likely to let me know when she doesn't like something! But she's respectful about it, and always thanks me. The one time she got a little snippy, Daddy was quick to point out that she should be grateful that I always provide her with nourishing food.

Oooh, that makes me want to move to India!

Of course, it doesn't eliminate the "what's for dinner" question - but now it is the cook asking it. I tried the "food" answer to her a couple of times - but it didn't translate! All I got was a really confused look!:tongue_smilie:

Same here, and the only comments allowed on dinner are, "Thanks mom, this is delcious," if they feel so. "Thank you," is required whether they think it i delicious or not. We are training them to be fabulous dinner guests. :D

As a potential future hostess, I thank you for that.

I'm not prone to violence but one family did run the risk of being tomorrow's dinner with comments like "Do I have to eat this, can't we go to McDonalds". To which his potential side-dish mother said "we'll get you a burger on the way home". Last time they got an invite. I understand picky eaters...I understand it's not mom's cooking (or maybe it's not mom's drive through skills).....but at least sit quietly and just don't eat. I'm wise enough to not ask questions like my aunt did "Don't you like the cream of crud dear".

We have similiar rules....and my daughter's phrase is "I have different preferences". Uh ok.

I was tired of the disappointment in both kids and hubby's voice when I answered what was for dinner too.....so I decided to turn that horrible decision making process back at them. You don't like what I figure out for meals, then figure it out yourselves bucko! So now we have a white board on the inside of the pantry cabinet....it is labeled with the days of the week. Once a week we gather together and decide what we are going to eat for the next week....I provide a list of things that are in the freezer that we should be using, or what is on sale that week at the grocery to give us a jumping off point. Then everyone has to contribute at least one suggestion. Sometimes we can't do a particular request that week for various reasons (not on sale/too expensive right now, busy week and it's a more difficult or time requirement meal, etc).....those items are listed on the much smaller white board under the main one to be used at a future time. During the summer there is also a ban on long oven use, lol, so we have a lot of fall/winter items on our "future" board right now.

Not only does this save me the staring into the freezer at noon (if I'm lucky, 4pm if I forgot) in a panic about dinner tonight.....no running out to the store last minute because now I know exactly what we'll be eating so my grocery list for the week is set.....and best of all the "What's for dinner" is responded by "look at the board".

The "food" response was also big in my husband's childhood and it sets him in a bad mood, so I have to avoid it, unless I'm in the mood to annoy him, lol. But I have had a wonderful time annoying the kids with that......hmmmm, guess when they're adults they'll hate it just like Daddy does and for the same reason. More fodder for their psych's couch at midlife crisis I guess.

Great idea. I think that I am going to try this system. I am getting tired of the pitful looks of dispair concerning my cooking choices. I will make them decide, but then I get to critique, right? I now my daughter will want to have spegetti tacos as her choice, thanks to ICarli. But I don't see that happening.

I use 'food' here too. In fact, Diva caught Tazzie yelling, "What's for supper?" over and over, hustled him out of the kitchen, and seriously informed him that it was 'food' and if he didn't quit bugging Mommy, it might be Tazzie roast.

:lol::lol::lol:

A time or two to Diva when she was bugging 'Whats for supper?', I've been known to say a time or two, "You know...Your older sister used to ask me that all.the.time." "But I don't have an older sister!" "Not any more...*insert crazed maniacal laugh here*"

She doesn't ask much anymore :tongue_smilie:

More than almost anything, I hate the, "What's for dinner?" question.

I finally explained to my guys that the question feels as if they are really asking, "What will you be serving us tonight, Maid?"

They were surprised, since that wasn't at all what they intended.

Now they take a different approach. My husband will usually comment, "Wow! That smells great. What are you cooking?"

Everyone is happier. :D

Let's see, asking "what's for dinner" is better than the disgusted looks at what is actually on the table.

The other night dd7 was obviously not happy. Dh and ds hid it a bit better but they weren't ecstatic either. I said, "It is nutritious and healthy for you!" My dd muttered to dh, "Yeah, and it looks like it too. . ."

Dh prayed, "Thank you for this food we are supposed to eat. . ." :glare:

This thread has made me realize I need to go give my dh a hug. No matter what I make, or how badly I may mess up dinner from time to time, he always thanks me for the meal. Like he means it too. He hates cooking so badly, I think he's just thrilled to have someone prepare anything edible for him!

This is my dh, too. He would rather change a dirty diaper or clean the toilets than cook.

My boys try to be kind, but sometimes the kindest they can be is "Thanks, Mom. This isn't as bad as it usually is." :lol:

Now, they do ask what's for dinner and it drives me nuts. Then when I answer, they ask "Do I like it?" to which I always reply "Of course!" (like I'm gonna tell them they hate it).

I thought for sure that I had to be the only insane mother who actually says this to her kids sometimes! LOL!

I think it was passed down from my mom, I dont know where I got it. I think her version was s*** on a shingle. Sorry for the crudeness.

I use the clean version.

This thread has made me realize I need to go give my dh a hug. No matter what I make, or how badly I may mess up dinner from time to time, he always thanks me for the meal. Like he means it too.

I think I would die from SHOCK if somebody in my house thanked me for a meal. You are a lucky lady. It's so nice to be appreciated. :)

Can I come to your house?? I LOVE Indian food, but I'm the only one in my house who does. :( I rarely cook it because it is only for me and I would still have to cook something different for my dh and dd and then of course my son only eats pizza.:tongue_smilie: Can your wife make roti?? If she can I'm so there if you'll have me of course. ;) I can bring dessert. :D

Sorry, I was busy eating :D

Come on over anytime. We love Indian. We don't make roti though.

You know what you might consider, because they are so easy (especially for one) and good? There are foil-packed Indian dishes (my wife and I call these "boil-in-bag" Indian) that are delicious and super-convenient.

Have you seen (tried) these?

Bill

Sorry, I was busy eating :D

Come on over anytime. We love Indian. We don't make roti though.

You know what you might consider, because they are so easy (especially for one) and good? There are foil-packed Indian dishes (my wife and I call these "boil-in-bag" Indian) that are delicious and super-convenient.

Have you seen (tried) these?

Bill

No. I didn't even know they had such a thing.:tongue_smilie: I usually cook everything myself to cut down on food costs so I confess I'm not often in that aisle in the grocery store. Can you get that in a regular grocery or do you have to go to an Indian grocery??

No. I didn't even know they had such a thing.:tongue_smilie: I usually cook everything myself to cut down on food costs so I confess I'm not often in that aisle in the grocery store. Can you get that in a regular grocery or do you have to go to an Indian grocery??

Usually Indian grocery stores, but our Trader Joes has them. And they are pretty inexpensive (about $2 at TJs or a buck fifty at Indian markets).

Usually we go for home-made, but these are nice for those moments when you are too tired to cook. They don't need refrigeration and are so easy and good.

Bill

I think it was passed down from my mom, I dont know where I got it. I think her version was s*** on a shingle. Sorry for the crudeness.

I use the clean version.

That is actually a name for biscuits and gravy. My fil was an army cook and that's what everyone called the sausage biscuits and gravy they severed.

Its a rude phrase, but he loves my biscuits and gravy, so he can call it anything he likes.

Usually Indian grocery stores, but our Trader Joes has them. And they are pretty inexpensive (about $2 at TJs or a buck fifty at Indian markets).

Usually we go for home-made, but these are nice for those moments when you are too tired to cook. They don't need refrigeration and are so easy and good.

Bill

We don't have Trader Joe's in Florida unfortunately. :( But we do have Indian groceries so I'll have to pop in there. What do they look like? Are they in a pouch or box or ?? Thanks for the suggestion. :)

We don't have Trader Joe's in Florida unfortunately. :( But we do have Indian groceries so I'll have to pop in there. What do they look like? Are they in a pouch or box or ?? Thanks for the suggestion. :)

They come in a flat-ish boxs (about 7" tall x 6" wide x 1" thick). Approximate guess.

Inside the boxes the food is in a foil pack. There is a term for this. But I'm blanking.

You can just throw the pouch (or several pouches) into a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes or so, tear them open and serve. Delicious!

Bill

They come in a flat-ish boxs (about 7" tall x 6" wide x 1" thick). Approximate guess.

Inside the boxes the food is in a foil pack. There is a term for this. But I'm blanking.

You can just throw the pouch (or several pouches) into a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes or so, tear them open and serve. Delicious!

Bill

Thanks!! I'll bring my ruler to the grocery. :) Do they have curry goat?? ;) :D

:lol::lol::lol:

A time or two to Diva when she was bugging 'Whats for supper?', I've been known to say a time or two, "You know...Your older sister used to ask me that all.the.time." "But I don't have an older sister!" "Not any more...*insert crazed maniacal laugh here*"

She doesn't ask much anymore :tongue_smilie:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I have GOT to remember that the next my food diva starts complaining about what's IN the 'food'

Tetra pak, I believe.

The box contains a description and photo and nutritional info. The inside foil is completely plain. So the box is normally an essential part of the packaging.

Here are some examples. I have no affiliation with this company; they just have clear photos:

http://store.asianfoodcompany.com/ready-to-eats-packs.html

Tetra pak, I believe.

The box contains a description and photo and nutritional info. The inside foil is completely plain. So the box is normally an essential part of the packaging.

Here are some examples. I have no affiliation with this company; they just have clear photos:

http://store.asianfoodcompany.com/ready-to-eats-packs.html

That's what I'm talking about. That's a good brand too (but there are many).

The term I was searching for was "aseptic" packaging. I wonder why more meals aren't package this way. It's better than freezing or traditional canning IMO.

Bill