Menu

Phonics Suggestins for K or 1st?

Guest stugroupie

Guest stugroupie

Hey all. We have been through way too many phonics programs already. My favorite has been Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, but he absolutely hates it. I love how the book is organized and new words are gradually added after the lesson on how to decode those words is completed.

We are currently using Modern Curr Press Phonics A. My 6yo really likes the workbook approach, but I am very unhappy with the overall program. It doesn't seem progressive and throws in words that he couldn't possibly have learned yet. For example... the words "little, pretty, flies, think" are in a story he is supposed to read when they have only gone over three letter words.

Anyway, I am wondering (hoping) someone can suggest something that uses a workbook format that also teaches *progressive* phonics.

Thanks so much!

Guest RecumbentHeart

My son is currently progressing well with Phonics Pathways. It's usually recommended right up there with OPGTR. So far my son hasn't taken to OPGTR either though.

McRuffy is gradual in the introduction of sight words. 'A' and 'the' are introduced early on to begin reading easy books. Many lessons later, the next sight words introduced are color words. A poster and lots of practice and review with colored paper helps review them. Near the end of the year, other sight words that are in the readers are introduced, one that I can think of is 'her'.

There's one workbook page per lesson, and the lessons are short and fun. There's also lots of games to review phonics concepts. We really like McRuffy because the stories are funny and quite entertaining for such limited vocabulary.

Another program to consider is Primary Phonics.

I have all three too (somehow :confused:) and dd also hates OPGTR and we're so-so on the MCP. I like the look of our Explode The Code though--like MCP but cooler and more enjoyable with a different way of thinking for dd. But we're waiting for book 1 to come before we start--I have 2 & 3 and am very excited to get going!!

For Kdg we did Phonics Pathways (reading about a page a day was all my son could handle at the begining of the year, and this felt like torture to him.) We also did Explode the Code starting w/ 1 and again he did it (my compliant oldest) but didn't LOVE it. With PP just read it, don't do spelling or writing.

For 1st we continued w/ PP and ETC and he liked it much better and we were able to do more. Now in 2nd he loves to read and he's a great reader. (BTW - we got PP from the library)

While you didn't request this, thought this may help you or someone else. We used TONS of library books. It was really hard to find good initial books b/c they'd have sight words or more difficult words he couldn't figure out. Initially we used:

* BOB Books

* Sonlight's I CAN READ IT - it's a book that SL publishes that starts easy and get's harder

* k12s Kdg and 1st grade readers (you can frequently find these used on-line)

* Calvert's Early Reader books (borrowed from a friend)

I took a look at our Kdg grade readers. They included the SL book, Calvert Readers, Bob Books, Starfall books (see link below), Brand New Readers (link), Snake Cake by Ziefert, Level 1 Green Light Readers (link), Step into Reading (link), Clam I am - Rabe, Road to Reading (link), by the end of the year, with a good amount of help, he was reading Mercy Watson books by DiCamillo (the adults snuck the away to read on their own... we LOVED them)

http://www.starfall.com/n/N-info/onlinebooks.htm?n=downloadcenter&educators

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=brand+new+readers

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=green+light+book+easy+reader

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=step+into+reading

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=road+to+reading+mile+1

Not a workbook, but there's a free online program called Progressive Phonics. We use it once in a while for a change of pace from ETC and Phonics Pathways. We don't print out the books; we just read them on the computer screen.

Why not take a break and try something new? Check out the free trial of ReadingEggs (online). My daughter absolutely loved it.

My second dd also started to hate OPG. I love it, though. I looked at all kinds of other programs. I bought Phonics Pathways and decided I really like OPG better, so I returned it. I started to look at a lesson in OPG the night before and type up the words. Sometimes I spell them out on the magnet board for my dd to read. Sometimes I write them on a piece of paper. Sometimes she reads them directly from the computer screen and deletes them as she goes (a current favorite). I usually split the lesson up into two days. This has been working well for us, and she doesn't hate it anymore! I'm sure if I pulled out the book and asked her to read from it again, she would throw a fit though! She just doesn't know it's the same program.

My second dd also started to hate OPG. I love it, though. I looked at all kinds of other programs. I bought Phonics Pathways and decided I really like OPG better, so I returned it. I started to look at a lesson in OPG the night before and type up the words. Sometimes I spell them out on the magnet board for my dd to read. Sometimes I write them on a piece of paper. Sometimes she reads them directly from the computer screen and deletes them as she goes (a current favorite). I usually split the lesson up into two days. This has been working well for us, and she doesn't hate it anymore! I'm sure if I pulled out the book and asked her to read from it again, she would throw a fit though! She just doesn't know it's the same program.
Great post explaining how to use OPG! Thank you!

Great ideas!

I personally work from the white board at that age no matter what program I'm using, that makes it more fun and interactive.

You could also try my phonics concentration game for a fun supplement.

I went from OPGTR to Phonics Pathways to Explode the Code and have landed on Abeka. I did the first 2 with my dd after pulling her from ps, because of her lack of reading skills. It looked like a simple enough program, but ended up causing tears from the both of us. I did Explode the Code with my son for a while, but he needed more interaction from me to want to do it. Abeka has been, by far, my favorite out of all 4. I have brought 3 kids through it and will do my 4th next fall. It is progressive and covers all the bases. The readers are a great resource, because they back up the rules you've already learned. They incorporate games if you want them, but I never use them. The price is a little high, but you can find things used all the time. All the flashcards are used for multiple years, so you won't feel like you dropped a bunch of money on something you use one time. HTH

Have you thought about doing the lessons from OPGTR on a black(or white) board.

Not sure why he doesn't like it, but it is helping with my dd6 (I am pretty sure she has some vision issues). I don't know if it is mom having to move, or the bigger words, or what. I got the idea on these boards somewhere (maybe from Oh, Elizabeth).

Personally, I would rather tweak things that I (or they like) then try something all new (especially if you have tried several things already)

Good Luck!

For my first 3, we used Sing, Spell, Read and Write. Crazy but they all loved it. I switched to OPG for #4 bc/ I am a bit tired of SSRW myself and thought it would be fun to try OPG, but the kids all begged to play a SSRW game today. How funny is that? Even the 9 yr old and 13 yr old played. And the 6 yr old begged to do SSRW today. I had given it a break and just been using the I Can Read It stories from Sonlight that another person already told you about. For all of mine, we've used those for extra practice, as well as the R&S and Pathway Readers and enjoyed the mix of all of these. BTW, having used SSRW to teach my older ones, they are speed readers with wonderful comprehension. Don't know if that is nature or nurture, but it sure is the case.

We're using Phonics Pathways with Starfall.com and Bob books and it's working really well. When my oldest gets tired (and cranky) reading out of the PP, we use the white board and I usually just copy out the words and sentences onto the board.

I had a little trouble getting started with PP because there is SO much on one page. A good friend suggested a blank piece of paper to cover what we weren't looking at and it's been fabulous. It helps with the visual tracking and keeps both my girls from being overwhelmed. I really like that in the newest edition there are lots of games included in the text that are easy to use and flexible for many different lessons.

Another friend of mine is using OPGTR and one of the differences we've noticed is that OPGTR teaches the end of three letter words, while PP teaches the beginning of them. For example, her son learned in OPGTR "-at" and "-ot" then was taught "c-at" and "c-ot." In PP, my daughters learned "ca-" and "co-" and then added ending consonants.

Hope that helps!

Check out these little readers http://www.teacherweb.com/CA/PomeloDriveElementary/Mrssakamoto/printap2.stm They are super cute and very progressive and don't have the kids reading things they haven't covered yet. They also don't throw much new in each book--just a gentle progression.

http://www.3rsplus.com sells the books as well and they have the other sets of them which take a child through all the phonics they will need---about a mid 3rd grade level.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CareBear

I do this same thing with Phonics Pathways. If I take the book out she runs the other way. She likes doing the lesson in other ways.

We use Phonics Pathways too, but it's not workbook... very progressive though. Easy to do in short lessons.

:iagree: I added ETC for some pencil work and some independent work (he could sit at his desk and do most of it alone, if he was in the mood). But, these were back fill for SWR, which I did when I had the energy (I school after coming home from a hectic job and a freeway commute and I'm just not always up to SWR). It made phonics like a fun conspiratorial game.

I'd give a hint ("the second sound of ea"), he'd squint his eyes and think and SUDDENLY the pencil would go straight up, his back would go straight up, and his feet would lift off the floor! And then he'd pipe up.

How much does he hate OPGTR? I mean, is it really unbearably awful for him, or just not his favorite thing?

Because my ds likes OPGTR the least out of everything we do, but I stick with it because he learns the most from it. The reasons he doesn't like it - no pictures and the stories are rather contrived - are also the reasons why it's so effective. He has to practise sounding out the words because he can't make a guess based on the context or the illustrations. So my strategy is to slog through a heap of lessons on OPG and then do a Reader or two to let him see how much more he can read, the result being that he does the OPG with few complaints because he can see it's helping.

Just a question--What is SWR? Thanks!

Spell to Write and Read. If you search this forum you'll find lots of posts on it. In later years, it could be a spelling program, but it is a reading program for me, right now. She has good advice on beginning letter formation and pre-reading.

But, it is a commitment. It helped me learn all the phonics WITH my son, and therefore, when he is stuck on a word, I can hint "the third sound of A" and he grabs that and goes on. It sounds small....I could just say /ah/, right? But it makes his brain take an extra step with pulling this out for himself. It also made reading interesting....it was a game we played together.

BTW, while my kid isn't a "natural reader" and has to work at it, I started with SWR because I was afraid he might be dyslexic...because his dad has it very badly, and because kiddo clearly needed systematic teaching to learn to read. I don't believe he is dyslexic, but he wasn't an "early reader" either. All in all, I'm glad I put the time into SWR.

But use the search function to your upper right to learn more. Many people here know much more about it than I.

I'm using Happy Phonics, which is entirely games-based, and my Monkey is usually very willing to do it. She's got some clever games. And if there's something that Monkey struggles with - b & d right now - I make a new game to do some extra practice on it. Once he gets the blending thing figured out we'll get the Bob Books out. Then after that I plan to just "read everything" with him to practice. OPG and 100EL looked like so much work and so little fun, and I would really like reading to be fun. It's working beautifully for us.

I went from OPGTR to Phonics Pathways to Explode the Code and have landed on Abeka. I did the first 2 with my dd after pulling her from ps, because of her lack of reading skills. It looked like a simple enough program, but ended up causing tears from the both of us. I did Explode the Code with my son for a while, but he needed more interaction from me to want to do it. Abeka has been, by far, my favorite out of all 4. It is progressive and covers all the bases. The readers are a great resource, because they back up the rules you've already learned. They incorporate games if you want them, but I never use them. The price is a little high, but you can find things used all the time. All the flashcards are used for multiple years, so you won't feel like you dropped a bunch of money on something you use one time. HTH

:iagree::iagree:This is exactly what I did and what I am currently doing.

CLP Adventures in Phonics is good and inexpensive for K. I have used it with two dc with easy, fantastic results.

I have Also used Abeka pre-K and will be using Abeka for 1st grade next year. Abeka is a more colorful, and fun, than CLP.

If you have the money, get Abeka, bit if you are tight CLP is Almost just as good.

I wish I had used Abeka with my son. It is straigtforward and colorful, and the handwriting reinforces the phonics. It is extremely well planned and well laid out.