Menu

30-60 lb. dog breed that's really good with young dc?

We have a wonderful Airedale. They are supposedly "100% Childproof" - of course that is in quotes, because nothing is that way - but they are really great.

No shedding, but you do need to clip them. They are great guards, as well and really bond to their people. They are clowns and need training and exercising. They tend to be very smart and need someone who is good at being dominant.

:iagree:

I have a yellow lab/Golden mix. He is the greatest dog ever. He is 56 pounds of pure joy. He doesn't have a mean bone in that body. Purebred Labs can be very hyper as puppies, so you need to train them right away, especially with the jumping issues. But they are pretty smart, so you can nip that in the bud. He loves, loves, loves everyone:001_smile:

Labs are terrific :-)

I have a yellow lab/Golden mix. He is the greatest dog ever. He is 56 pounds of pure joy. He doesn't have a mean bone in that body. Purebred Labs can be very hyper as puppies, so you need to train them right away, especially with the jumping issues. But they are pretty smart, so you can nip that in the bud. He loves, loves, loves everyone:001_smile:

Labs are terrific :-)

:iagree:We had a lab mix that passed away about a year ago. He was absolutely the best dog ever. Very friendly and happy and loving and smart. We are looking for another dog but I still can't quite bring myself to replace him :sad:

We have a Norwegian Elkhound. She's 48 pounds. She's wonderful with the kids. Very loyal. My youngest who is six can lay all over her. We got her a year ago April from a rescue coordinator for the breed. All the neighborhood kids adore her, too. The breed does shed so we don't wear a lot of black anymore. Also she is a family dog, that is she wants to be with us and doesn't like to spend a lot of time in the backyard on her own. She'll run out and do her business, but she wants right back in where the action is!

I second (third? fourth?) the lab suggestion. My husband's family has had labs forever and they're great. My daughter has a wonderful black lab that we were given for her when she was five. She was a few years old already so we didn't have to do the puppy thing, but they're the very best friends now. Even if the dog's kind of retarded and doesn't know that labs are supposed to fetch and enjoy the water. =p

My mutts have always been good dogs and love the children. My old dog is right around 50 pounds (or was). My young dog is probably closer to 70. You may not be able to predict size as well, but my mutts have been very loving, obedient, exactly what I want in a dog. They run with me. Play with the kids.

They both have put up with so much from my kids, it makes my head spin to think of it.

Mutts definitely the way to go. Besides, they are cheaper to buy. :)

Adding my vote to the Golden Retriever side. Love our Riley! He's completely trustworthy, easy to train, eager to please, has enough smarts to handle tricks and obedience but not enough to be obstinate!

He's gorgeous, but honestly, his coat is a little harder than, say, a lab's to take care of--we live in the woods and he does bring in leaves and such, but if we keep him brushed, it's not a big deal.

With any dog, training is the key. Temperment-wise, tho, can't beat a Golden.

I've never owned one, but I've heard that boxers are great with children. Although I'm sure a retriever would be easier to train.

We had a samoyed for 9 years. He was such a sweet dog. I never heard him growl and he never bit. As a matter of fact, the breeder that we bought him from was the first person I heard mention that boxers were gentle and great with children.

Our keeshond is the best dog we've ever had. We got him from some people who were not home much and, according to the AKC, the main thing this breed needs it to be around people. Ours weighs about 40 pounds, doesn't need a huge area to run around, and is great with the kids.

We currently have what I lovingly refer to as North American Cheese Hound or German labrabeagle.

The appreciative mutt is the way to go.

We adopted a 12 week old pup from a rescue organization when the local shelter didnt have any pups. We listened to the recommendations of the people who had the dogs in their homes because they knew the dogs. It has been a wonderful 9 months with our Poppy.

So very many choices but Keeshound would be in the proper weight guideline and behavior for what you are looking for.

I grew up with many dogs, trained my Keeshounds in Freestyle and agility as a young preteen girl.

My children's best friend is our terrier mix, even at his very advanced age(20 years old) can still keep up with the children playing endlessly.

Have fun searching.

My mutts have always been good dogs and love the children. My old dog is right around 50 pounds (or was). My young dog is probably closer to 70. You may not be able to predict size as well, but my mutts have been very loving, obedient, exactly what I want in a dog. They run with me. Play with the kids.

They both have put up with so much from my kids, it makes my head spin to think of it.

Actually, I agree with you, to a point. Most mixed breeds come from an adoption/rescue situation and I would be careful about adopting if you have young children. All of our dogs have been rescue dogs (4 total), even our current purebred. However, we had one dog that began to show aggression when we had kids in the house. We were told by many people that it would be very tricky to train it out of him as we did not completely know his history. If the aggression came from fear, we were in very dangerous territory. the dog was very sweet most of the time, but he would have these short bursts of aggression that were scary. No rescue place could risk taking him in due to his history and we had to put him down. I would have not problem adopting now as our children are older, but after our experience, I would be wary of adopting. If you know the owners and how they treated the dog, I say go for it.

Actually, I agree with you, to a point. Most mixed breeds come from an adoption/rescue situation and I would be careful about adopting if you have young children. All of our dogs have been rescue dogs (4 total), even our current purebred. However, we had one dog that began to show aggression when we had kids in the house. We were told by many people that it would be very tricky to train it out of him as we did not completely know his history. If the aggression came from fear, we were in very dangerous territory. the dog was very sweet most of the time, but he would have these short bursts of aggression that were scary. No rescue place could risk taking him in due to his history and we had to put him down. I would have not problem adopting now as our children are older, but after our experience, I would be wary of adopting. If you know the owners and how they treated the dog, I say go for it.

This is why we adopted a younger puppy.

BUT most reputable rescues will temperment test a dog and match a family to a dog. You should not be afraid to rescue an animal from a good organiztion or well regarded shelter.

We adopted two dogs from shelters. The first dog was a lab mix and the shelter workers swore up and down that he was fine, just hyper, and that he was a young dog. Our vet told us he was much older than we were told, and put him on anti-anxiety meds for aggressive anxiety. He ended up living his last days as a basement/outdoor dog b/c he bit and we were afraid to have him around our daughter. But I think he got better treatment from us than he would have from anyone else, so we did a good deed I guess...

The second dog we got from a different shelter, run by an older woman who knew the dogs personally b/c they lived on her farm, and we described our needs well. We ended up with the sweetest, most loveable hound/beagle mix that is the best dog EVER. We love this dog like she is one of our children.

So, in essence, go to a reputable shelter. And be wary of people that say things like "just high energy" or any other word that might seem like a code.

Overall, I vote for beagles/beagle mixes. They come in different sizes. Ours is a beagle/hound (looks like a typical hunting dog) and we hear they have been bred over the years by hunters to have very people friendly personalities. They're smart, cuddly, and can be dressed in doll clothes if your children so desire. They aren't a "security guard" but they're a very good alarm if anyone is near your home. However, they bark and then they lick the strangers hand, KWIM? So it depends on what you want...

I don't know where the OP lives but in certain areas of the country, just about every dog in the shelter is a pit bull or pit mix or some other type of very aggressive dog. Definitely if you live in those areas, do not adopt from a shelter. Breed rescue groups are often a good place. I got my lab from a breed rescue group and I got my current mini poodle from another breed rescue. They often have these animals in foster care and can really tell you what they are like. Depending on where the OP is living, a reason that the breed rescue gets the pet may be often that it came from an elderly person's home who was no longer able to care for the pet or who died. Those pets are usually really great animals because they were loved and cared for. Strays and seizures are a much different proposition as are a lot of surrenders. All those animals are much more likely to have serious problems and with little ones, you don't want to take that risk especially with choosing a larger size dog. Because while a 15 pound dog can bite, a 60 pound can kill and you don't want to take any chances with your children. Also, do the investigation and checking out of places by yourself and not with the kids, if you can manage that. Shelters will either make your children really sad or make them fearful. Many of the dogs are aggressive and come right up to the fence and bark and growl. It isn't something you want any susceptible children to be witnessing/

I don't know where the OP lives but in certain areas of the country, just about every dog in the shelter is a pit bull or pit mix or some other type of very aggressive dog. Definitely if you live in those areas, do not adopt from a shelter. Breed rescue groups are often a good place. I got my lab from a breed rescue group and I got my current mini poodle from another breed rescue. They often have these animals in foster care and can really tell you what they are like. Depending on where the OP is living, a reason that the breed rescue gets the pet may be often that it came from an elderly person's home who was no longer able to care for the pet or who died. Those pets are usually really great animals because they were loved and cared for. Strays and seizures are a much different proposition as are a lot of surrenders. All those animals are much more likely to have serious problems and with little ones, you don't want to take that risk especially with choosing a larger size dog. Because while a 15 pound dog can bite, a 60 pound can kill and you don't want to take any chances with your children. Also, do the investigation and checking out of places by yourself and not with the kids, if you can manage that. Shelters will either make your children really sad or make them fearful. Many of the dogs are aggressive and come right up to the fence and bark and growl. It isn't something you want any susceptible children to be witnessing/

Don't worry - we would never take our dc to a shelter! My dh doesn't even allow me to go LOL.

Don't buy while shelter pets die.

I have a Basset/Lab mix that was adopted from the local pound........he has been wonderful with the kids!

Check your local shelter and rescue groups........ many amazing animals need loving homes.

We looked at shelter dogs, but all of the dogs said they were not appropriate for homes with young kids.

When we decided we wanted a Norwegian Elkhound, I went to their national website. Most AKC breeds have breed specific rescue groups all over the country. I knew I didn't want to go through puppy training. We found one near us and called. The rescue coordinator liked us so much so offered us one of her dogs who had finished showing and had a litter of pups and wouldn't be bred any more. Another of the dogs up for rescue was in a similar situation former show dog who didn't have bad hips, but not what they wanted for breeding. Another was a year old pup who was too much work for a mother with a young family and unlandscaped, muddy yard.

These breed specific rescuers know the animals that come in really well. Often they are placed with local rescue families ahead of time and the groups will take the dog back if it doesn't work out for you. So if you figure out what breed you want, it might be worth a little googling to see what rescue groups are in your area. We couldn't be more happy with how things worked out for us!

SPCA doesn't allow families with kids under 7 to rescue any dogs...at least none that I've seen.

The rescue price is about equal to what a mixed puppy goes for, and you know the breed (generally). One of my favourite ads was for puppies that were 'part lab, part sneaky a$$ neighbour dog' :lol:

I don't mind mixed breeds, as long as I know the mix, and am getting the puppy.

I won't go shelter/rescue routes again. Not worth the risk. Tried it, and Princess nearly had her face taken off by the lab. Older dogs are somewhat risky (to me) too, because I've found folks will lie like a cheap rug when questioned about WHY they're giving up the dog. Experience first hand again.

I'd go with labs or goldens for the size you're looking for.

I wanted a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, but looked at the humane society first(petfinder.com )... drove 4 hrs for him... it was marked that he was food aggressive (found that out when I got there) I wanted to see him after the drive... I took my hand and "shoved" it towards the dog to see if he flinched... got aggressive... left. He just looked at me.... and I was hooked. He played tennis with us... and I said the aggressiveness doesn't look right. (I still think that was a lie or misprint) I fed him separately from the kids for a while. (He was so aggressive:-) that I had to feed him kibble by kibble before he would eat.)

After a while of getting to know him... I realized that he couldn't growl or bite to save his life. (Proven while we were at the park...he got attacked... and couldn't protect himself.)

Anyway, Humane society dogs.... can be great! They aren't my responsibility...so I don't feel I have to get one... but I loved the fact that we saved his life. (he really was going to be put to sleep...so we did save his life:-)

Love Brownie... our Black dog:-)

Carrie:-)

Consider a Boxer! Boxer are wonderful housedogs, and I have never seen a breed so loyal to children. Boxer Rescue is always looking for good homes, and they would help you find a housebroken, good with children one ....

In the Northeast here: http://www.boxerrescue.com/

Midwest here: http://www.midwestboxerrescues.com/

Texas here: http://www.savetheboxers.com/

If you adopt thru a rescue, they have had time to analyze the dogs personality and can help pick a dog that is very good for your family.

Consider breed rescue no matter what breed you choose, the AKC will have the local clubs for the breed you choose.

I agree with the mutt call. If you get a mix, you have much less chance of probs--purebreeds have the most probs. Mutts have many less--health, temperament, etc. Plus, if you go to a shelter, you are saving a life. Also, although everyone loves a puppy, if you get a dog that is not a puppy, you will know what the temperament is, you won't have to deal with potty training (which can be a nightmare), and teething (they can literally eat your house), etc.

My dd and I have volunteered at an SPCA for three years, and they are wonderful. They check the dog to see if it is good with other dogs and cats (something you cannot tell with a puppy--it can just end up being freaky later on). They tell you about the temperament, and all background they can find out. They test it for everything, and it is neutered or spayed before you take it home. And don't just say no to any breed. You can think lab is the greatest breed, then have one that is a total freak! People go on and on about pit bulls, but they are actually some of the best dogs, especially in mixes--incredibly loyal, great with kids--it is that so many people who own them train them to fight or to be vicious, and they have a horrible rep!

When we went to get our second dog (got one at an SPCA 70 miles from us) we looked online at petfinder.com, where you can put in your info, and they will show you pics of dogs like what you want, and give info, and you can pick the distance you are willing to go. A ton of shelters participate. You can also look at local shelters. I guarantee you, missing the puppy stage is not a huge deal, but they also show puppies, and you can also check local shelters that may not participate. They main thing is to let the kids know that they may not find the perfect dog and not to settle on one that isn't perfect (easier to say than do). Some places have a waiting period, some want to inspect your house, so even if you find the perfect dog, you may not be able to take him home right away. But this if for keeps, so be patient.

Best of luck!!!

Goldens are fabulous family dogs. Ours is bigger than you're looking for, 85 pounds. Her parents were pretty large though. We got her from a breeder. All our previous dogs were giveaways or from the pound. Our best previous dog was a puppy from a pregnant dog who had been abandoned at a kennel. The kennel owners were giving away the puppies. The mother was a sheltie. The puppies looked more like English spaniels, so the kennel owners assumed that's what the father was.

We didn't want to go through the whole puppy stage when we got our goldendoodle because I had a baby and I knew I couldn't do a proper job of training it so once we knew we wanted a goldendoodle I contacted breeders and put our name in for dogs that need to be rehomed. Usually good breeders will tell their families that if for some reason they can no longer take care of their pet that they will take the dog back and find a new home for it. We happened to find a breeder who had a 14month old who they were going to use for breeding and decided not to. The nice thing was that they already knew his temperment which was so sweet and gentle. He has never even barked. The first week we had him off leash in the yard and he stood right by us. We love him. The dogs that are brought back to the breeders to be rehomed are usually dogs that have been loved but are moving or something and they care enough about it to not bring it to a shelter.

We have a black lab mix...he was a rescue dog. We are foster parents and have had many children in our home. He has been pulled on, yanked on, ridden like a horse, had his food compromised and so on. He has NEVER been aggressive in any manner. He walks around wagging his tail all day and is forever happy. He loves everyone and is the sweetest dog we have ever owned. You cannot go wrong with a lab.

Amen! We just had to put our dog to sleep over the weekend, but he was by far the best animal we've ever had. He was supposed to be a boxer/pointer mix. Not only was he good tempered and smart he was as healthy as could be right up until the last month. I've watched families with purebred dogs and everyone of them has some issue with chronic illnesses.

Found this article about Keeshonden. Everything in this article is accurate from what we have seen, even down to waitng at the door patiently for us. Mac, our keeshond, is under the the table right now. He has no health problems save for a sensitive tummy, so we don't switch his food around. I am not a purebreed advocate, but I would get another keeshond in a heartbeat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeshond

We have a black lab mix...he was a rescue dog. We are foster parents and have had many children in our home. He has been pulled on, yanked on, ridden like a horse, had his food compromised and so on. He has NEVER been aggressive in any manner. He walks around wagging his tail all day and is forever happy. He loves everyone and is the sweetest dog we have ever owned. You cannot go wrong with a lab.

Weeeellll . . . have you read Marley & Me?

As the former owner of a lab who closely resembled Marley, I can testify that there is a downside to some labs. We were heartbroken when our lab had to be put to sleep (he was dying of cancer), but life is a lot calmer with our Golden.

Oh, I agree that labs can be awesome family dogs. I was just cautioning against the idea that you can't go wrong with a lab.

Even if you pick a "good" breed, it's still critical to look closely at the individual dog. We ignored several warning signs when picking out our lab, in part because we believed we couldn't go wrong with a lab.