Menu

Christmas gifts - biggest hits with kids

What are the best gifts or toys you have bought in previous years for your kids? Every year I try to find a great gift for each child that they will really enjoy. I also like to buy a new family board or card game each year. So, I would love some ideas...

FYI... My personal overall favorite toy for my kids: KEVA planks. They can't get enough of these. I've taken them to Co-op for game time and kids of all ages just flock to them.

A game we love is Ticket to Ride. It's a little pricey, but it's been a big hit with everyone we've played it with. It's a strategy game, sort of like Risk, but it moves much faster. With four players, I'm thinking it's probably still under an hour start to finish.

Thanks for the info. That's one of the games on my wish list.

Those Keva Planks look interesting.....I'm always looking for something that I think my kids will play with a lot. How many Keva planks do you need for it to make interesting things and keep them occupied? I noticed it is $70 for 200 planks....is that enough?

Two years ago, I bought a box of 200 planks. That kept them pretty busy, but they did want more. So, last year I bought another box of 200 and they have been content with that. Although, they would say they could always use more. The sets were on sale around Christmas (I think I paid around $50 a box) and the quality is very good.

Those Keva Planks look interesting.....I'm always looking for something that I think my kids will play with a lot. How many Keva planks do you need for it to make interesting things and keep them occupied? I noticed it is $70 for 200 planks....is that enough?

These have been THE best toy for our house!!! Everyone plays with them. The Christmas we bought them, I took them to my mom's and dad's house for New Years. There were 40 relatives there. I have wonderful pictures of everyone playing with them - all ages!!!

We bough the 1000 pack. It was expensive, but very worth it in terms of play value. In fact, right now, my 11 yo is down in the play room building a princess castle for his 3 yo sister!

The other item that gets LOTS of playtime is our marble run. We splurged and got a gorgeous wooden one. Dd can't put it together by herself yet. But, the boys always help her out and they love to do it!!

I always try to buy toys that can be used outside for exercise. We've got a bunch of ride-on toys from Constructive Playthings. The kids will play on them for hours. This year, we're going to buy a unicycle! Another popular outside toy has been a HUGE frisbee. It's diameter is at least as tall as my 3 yo. All the neighbor kids love it. Our basketball hoop has brought over lots of neighbor kids too.

Another popular outside toy has been a HUGE frisbee. It's diameter is at least as tall as my 3 yo. All the neighbor kids love it.

:iagree: Our monster disk has always been a huge hit.

Lego sets

Magazine subscriptions

American Girl or Breyer stuff

Drawing supplies -- tracing kits, nice drawing pads, good colored pencils, a pack of tracing paper, etc....

Memberships or tickets to something

Board Game: Settlers of Catan

Hit Individual Gifts:

good binoculars & nature journal

Zoobs

magazine subscriptions (they love getting something just for them every month concerning a topic they really like - favorites have been Highlights and National Geographic)

Magnatiles and Plasma Cars

We got a Plasma Car here three years ago, and it still gets played with A LOT. It works just as well in the kitchen as it does on the deck and the driveway :)

Whoonu by Cranium Games is also well-loved, as is Apples to Apples.

We have Kapla Blocks, which are like the Keva Planks, and they get used quite a bit too.

Heather in MD

Well, on the very slim chance someone hasn't heard of them or wasn't thinking about them, here are the toys my boys play with non-stop:

1. Playmobil people--they like the historical ones mostly. (The don't care for the circus or doctor ones, but my boys seem to have a historical bent.) The also don't care for all the extras (like horses or houses or boxes and stuff.) They just like the people and their swords or helmets or clothing.

2. K'nex sets.

3. Legos

4. Paper and lots and lots of pens, pencils, staplers (to make books) markers and tape. They spend a good hour or more a day making books and sketching pictures.

For a recent idea that also is a lot of fun, but very mainstream, and probably has a short play life (maybe a year or so):

My son just turned 7 last week and he got an Alien Maker. You use various molds, some sort of goo and some sort of playdoh type stuff to make little rubbery aliens. My sons love this and the 4 and 7 yo can do this entirely on their own.

He also received a bunch of Ben Ten (a cartoon) aliens. What they like about these aliens is that the arms, heads, and legs pop off, so you can mix and match the aliens. They spend a great deal of time pulling off the arms and legs and creating new aliens. (My son received about 6 aliens, so there are many different combinations--hmm... is he old enough to do a math equation to figure out how many combinations there are??? :))

The Alien Maker and Ben Ten aliens aren't really long-term toys, but for now they are a LOT of fun and the kids love them. (Maybe an idea to ask for from the grandparents as a gift.)

Edited by Garga

Well, when our eldest was four years old, her favorite gift was her very own hot water bottle!

As far as games go, given the ages of your children, I'd recommend Wise and Otherwise

Other fun games include:

Bananagrams

Quiddler

Set

Fluxx (This is a game that people seem to either love or hate. There are also many versions such as Zombie Fluxx, Monty Python Fluxx, Eco-Fluxx, etc.)

Regards,

Kareni