Menu

Have you seen any companies going a little too far into the 'green'

Tap

Dh works for a large, international company. We live in the PNW which is know for its 'greeness', the company has a reputation for trying to be 'green', combine the two and sometimes it seems to go a little too far.

2 months ago, his company decided to stop having any bottled water on site of the corporate offices, despite the fact that the bottled water they used to stock...was one of its own best selling products. So, people were supposed to bring reusable bottles to drink out of. Dh, being a bit snarky, had me start saving used glass jars that items like spaghetti sauce can in. He took the jars to work, making the point that reuse was the best way to recycle (instead of buying a bottle-creating more waste in the manufacturing) and started using them for glasses. It caught on, and the corporate table was covered in old spaghetti jars being used for drinking glasses. LOL

I think someone higher up the food chain decided they didn't like this idea....the bottles of water returned to the cooler, and most of the jars have dissapeared from the cupboard. Dh still collects and uses the jars, he has always like drinking out of mason jars :lol:

I don't really get why that's going too far. Why assume that every employee would have to buy a new bottle? Most of us have at least one sports bottle or thermal-cup-with-lid combo hanging around our kitchen. Heck, what's wrong with a good old mug? I've never worked for a company that provided bottled water, and we all managed somehow.

Sorry, I guess I just don't see why this deserves ridicule.

I don't really get why that's going too far. Why assume that every employee would have to buy a new bottle? Most of us have at least one sports bottle or thermal-cup-with-lid combo hanging around our kitchen. Heck, what's wrong with a good old mug? I've never worked for a company that provided bottled water, and we all managed somehow.

:iagree:

Dh's company bought mugs for their employees a few years ago. They also started allowing telecommuting once a week, which I love!

Mugs would have been fine, regular glasses would have been fine, it was the image of corporate men and women sitting around a rosewood table, in business suits and drinking water out of old spaghetti jars with spots of glue stuck to them, just cracked me up! Sorry, I guess my visual of the situation is what made it seem like it has gone a little too far.

Well, while my environmental activist side is disappointed in the company's decision to provide the bottles again, my wisea$$ side does think that this:

...the image of corporate men and women sitting around a rosewood table, in business suits and drinking water out of old spaghetti jars with spots of glue stuck to them...

is pretty darn funny :lol:

Dh works for a large, international company. We live in the PNW which is know for its 'greeness', the company has a reputation for trying to be 'green', combine the two and sometimes it seems to go a little too far.

2 months ago, his company decided to stop having any bottled water on site of the corporate offices, despite the fact that the bottled water they used to stock...was one of its own best selling products. So, people were supposed to bring reusable bottles to drink out of. Dh, being a bit snarky, had me start saving used glass jars that items like spaghetti sauce can in. He took the jars to work, making the point that reuse was the best way to recycle (instead of buying a bottle-creating more waste in the manufacturing) and started using them for glasses. It caught on, and the corporate table was covered in old spaghetti jars being used for drinking glasses. LOL

I think someone higher up the food chain decided they didn't like this idea....the bottles of water returned to the cooler, and most of the jars have dissapeared from the cupboard. Dh still collects and uses the jars, he has always like drinking out of mason jars :lol:

:lol: LOL! I love it! Sounds like he got his point across!

:lol: LOL! I love it! Sounds like he got his point across!

I still don't really understand what his point was. Sure, re-using something on hand is "better" than buying a re-usable bottle, but is buying a re-usable bottle really such an awful thing? Now they're back to multiple single-use bottles. It's one thing to not give two figs about plastic waste, but why in the world would people be happy to go back to spending a fortune on *water* of all things?

Mugs would have been fine, regular glasses would have been fine, it was the image of corporate men and women sitting around a rosewood table, in business suits and drinking water out of old spaghetti jars with spots of glue stuck to them, just cracked me up! Sorry, I guess my visual of the situation is what made it seem like it has gone a little too far.

They wear SUITS?!? Everyday? Wow! My dh is a consultant, but he only wears a suit when he's visiting client offices. All of his competitors are also business casual. I think there would be a rebellion in his very stodgy company if they had to go back to suits everyday.

:lol::lol: That is quite a picture.

We went to the Great Wolf Lodge recently, and I felt their "green push" was a little over the top. We loved the place and will definitely go back, but there was something that seemed hypocritical about it at that particular business.

That was roughly the same vision I had when reading your post. :lol: Too funny! Of course water bottles are not that attractive either. :001_smile:

Our store has two filter-dispenser water coolers in the break room. People buy their own bottles of water, or bring reusable ones, and can refill them for free. Glass jars would be a safety hazard, and anything with an open top is a spill hazard, so those aren't used. But there are middle grounds between ugly jars (which personally we use at home a lot) and lots of throwaway bottles. They do, I hope, at least recycle the bottles???

Check out this video: http://planetgreen.discovery.com/videos/g-word-pacific-ocean-trash-vortex.html

I don't ordinarily get into these controversial threads, but taking care of our earth shouldn't be controversial. Even if every single one of those plastic water bottles are recycled, that takes a lot of energy. And not every single one is going to make it into the recycling process. Re-use is much easier on the earth than recycling.

Julie

I reuse glass jars, but I get the glue spots off them. :p

Check out this video: http://planetgreen.discovery.com/videos/g-word-pacific-ocean-trash-vortex.html

I don't ordinarily get into these controversial threads, but taking care of our earth shouldn't be controversial. Even if every single one of those plastic water bottles are recycled, that takes a lot of energy. And not every single one is going to make it into the recycling process. Re-use is much easier on the earth than recycling.

Julie

I totally agree. To be quite honest, until I developed multiple chemical sensitivity, I didn't take this nearly as seriously as I should have. However, now I realize all too well how important this is to the earth and to the living things on earth.

I really can't see how anyone can possibly be too "green".

Yeah, thats kinda my thoughts too. Good on any company that tries, and shame on anyone who gets in their way.

Plastic water bottles are a huge source of waste and pollution.

Check out these:

http://www.bottledwaterblues.com/

http://greenupgrader.com/3258/plastic-bottle-facts-make-you-think-before-you-drink/

http://www.earthdive.com/site/news/newsdetail.asp?changedate=true&changeyear=2009&id=3063

Julie

I think one would especially feel differently if all of a sudden one's drinking water was permently unusable due to extreme contamination or caught on fire as has actually happened. Or they might feel differently if they had to vacate their homes forever due to contamination which has happened to whole towns such as Love Canal. Pollution affects all of us and I believe it is in our best interest to protect the earth:).

I think one would especially feel differently if all of a sudden one's drinking water was permently unusable due to extreme contamination or caught on fire as has actually happened. Or they might feel differently if they had to vacate their homes forever due to contamination which has happened to whole towns such as Love Canal. Pollution affects all of us and I believe it is in our best interest to protect the earth:).

I do see your point, and I do agree with you. I see the need for more care in this area, if for no other reason than the fact that the population is growing daily and something will have to give in the long run.

From my perspective, though, I'm seeing some politicians and companies that seem, well, disingenous when they make a push publicly for "others" to do their part but are making some choices of their own, for their own lives & pocket books, that don't really "reflect" their stand, if you kwim. I've seen it often enough and it does affect their credibility, honestly!! I want to see those who are very publically vocal about these viewpoints doing things that seriously affect their comfort levels in life so they are leading by example. I'm sure they're out there. I just can't think of any off the top of my head! I'm not a huge fan of those who preach this loudly and then hop on their company fuel-sucking jets to fly to their next destination.

And btw, when I say I want to see them doing things that affect their comfort levels, I'm talking about reasonable, useful changes. I'm not looking for the Cheryl Crows of this world who want to urge us to use one square of tp. ;)

Edited by Texas T

It wasn't about using the plastitc bottles!

It was only about the idea of corporate people sitting around, drinking out of old spaghetti jars!

Yes, plastic is bad...I don't know anyone who would disagree.

As for can you go too green, not in a normal way, but yes, there are extremes to anything. Everything has a price on the environment.

I get it:D.

It was only about the idea of corporate people sitting around, drinking out of old spaghetti jars!

As for can you go too green, not in a normal way, but yes, there are extremes to anything. Everything has a price on the environment.

I really can't see how anyone can possibly be too "green".

Me, neither. I'm also in the Pacific Northwest, and around here "green" is a selling point. So I more often see greenwashing rather than "too" green.

I work on a small college campus. It's all the rage now for students to carry around their water (especially voice students) in old spaghetti jars. There's a bit of a competition, in fact, about cool jars. I think it's fantastic.

We stayed at a hotel recently that claimed it was trying to save the environment, etc, etc. So we were there three nights and after night one, we had opened the hand soap and had used it but there was still plenty of the bar left, same with the shampoo container (since only my dh with very short hair used it) and we had hung up the hand towel to keep using. Well the maid threw away the soap, shampoo and needlessly replaced the towel. We tried to be responsible but were stymied.

I am finding it is an excuse to cut corners and create cheaper products. When my kids' computer games came in "eco-friendly" packages, my only thought was that the manufacturer used the "Go Green" bandwagon to cheat me out of a jewel case.

I agree. And then there's the green folks who create one size fits all and then you get a small small item in a HUGE package. Just proves teh point that some companies use 'Green' to disguise cheap/saving money. And there's nothign wrong with saving money, but don't try to tell me that's it's being green. When it's not.

We stayed at a hotel recently that claimed it was trying to save the environment, etc, etc. So we were there three nights and after night one, we had opened the hand soap and had used it but there was still plenty of the bar left, same with the shampoo container (since only my dh with very short hair used it) and we had hung up the hand towel to keep using. Well the maid threw away the soap, shampoo and needlessly replaced the towel. We tried to be responsible but were stymied.

We just always put the do not disturb sign out. No maid service. No new products. :)

It does sound like it is about the plastic bottles, if corporate didn't like the spaghetti jars and plastic bottles are back in the cooler. That is too bad.

I may just need more coffee, but I'm still not getting it :confused:

Me, neither. I'm also in the Pacific Northwest, and around here "green" is a selling point. So I more often see greenwashing rather than "too" green.

I work on a small college campus. It's all the rage now for students to carry around their water (especially voice students) in old spaghetti jars. There's a bit of a competition, in fact, about cool jars. I think it's fantastic.

I'm in Portland, and am emailing this article to everyone I know so they can get on the City's back to institute a similar program. Even though we have the Benson Bubblers downtown, it's impossible to fill up a water bottle at one.

Excerpt:

In New York City, a project called TapIt, launched in June, connects water-thirsty residents with a growing network of cafes and restaurants where they can fill up free of charge.

By going to tapitwater.com or using the TapIt iPhone application, users can match their coordinates with the nearest establishment that will fill up any reusable water bottle or drinking glass with New York's finest.

I got it. If the company really wanted to go green AND preserve the image of men in suits at the conference table, they could have distributed re-usable stainless water bottles or mugs with the company logo or something, and provided coolers.

Personally, I would love it if it were okay to have spaghetti jars around the table.

I really love the term "greenwashing". I'm going to remember that. I absolutely see your point.

Ooh...I just looked up greenwashing, and the alternate term "green sheen" was also suggested. Very corporate, no?

Now I have this image of all these corporate guys in rolled up shirtsleeves, out by the fence trying to convince us all to greenwash it for them.

It kinda bugs me when Corporations pretend to be "green"-- I mean Walmart being green seems totally hilarious to me since they ship things all over the world and leave a trail of ghostowns when once there were thriving, walkable downtowns-- not exactly green practices. BUT, because they are the largest retailer in the world every single thing they do has an effect. If they choose to cut back their energy use, it has a huge effect. So, yeah it bugs me when people "greenwash" their image, but if it has some benefit to the environment, then I applaud even small steps.

As for the water bottle story, it seems really sad to me that they are back to selling water bottles.

It kinda bugs me when Corporations pretend to be "green"-- I mean Walmart being green seems totally hilarious to me since they ship things all over the world and leave a trail of ghostowns when once there were thriving, walkable downtowns-- not exactly green practices. BUT, because they are the largest retailer in the world every single thing they do has an effect. If they choose to cut back their energy use, it has a huge effect. So, yeah it bugs me when people "greenwash" their image, but if it has some benefit to the environment, then I applaud even small steps.

As for the water bottle story, it seems really sad to me that they are back to selling water bottles.

his company decided to stop having any bottled water on site of the corporate offices, despite the fact that the bottled water they used to stock...was one of its own best selling products.
This is what I found funny and sad in a way as well. So, we want to be green but not at the expense of profit. If the heart of the company wanted to be environmentally responsible they would cut bottled water from their product line.

The image of suits and spaghetti jars is quite entertaining though.:D