Menu

How do you teach a child to ride a two wheeler?

We are trying to teach ds6 to ride a two-wheeler. We love biking as a family, and having him on a two-wheeler makes a lot of difference in how far we can go. A bike with training wheels is a lot of work (as is a trailer with 50 lb kiddo being towed behind mom's bike)

Ds10 didn't learn until last year and it was quite a struggle. Any hints/tips/suggestions? Anything? What worked for your family?

For my oldest dd, her fear of falling was holding her back. So, we took the pedals off her bike and allowed her to just tool around on it, learning the feeling of "riding" and balancing the bike. When she was scooting for distances and balancing, we put the pedals back on the bike and she took off. We did the same for her little sister and she learned even faster-both girls learned to ride this summer.

DD5, then 4, learned this spring. My MIL said to take the training wheels off of her little bike. For some reason I hadn't even thought of it before. We were trying to train her using a little bigger bike without training wheels. I think she had a fear of falling too. When she was on her little bike, she was able to stand flat footed. She learned within a day! After a week, she was ready for a bigger bike, but not super big.

We have a little bike without pedals. It is called a strider. I think my son learned to ride a real two wheeler bike (with pedals) on his own a few days before his 5th birthday. The idea is that you get the kid to master balancing and gliding, then work on locomotion using a real bike once balance is good.

DS 6 learned about 6 months ago. I can't remember how. I just remember DH running up and down the street with him and letting go of the bike now and then without DS knowing about it. DS 5 just learned, too, the same way. I think the most important thing is having a bike that's the right size.

I think the key is starting on a smallish bike, they don't have the power in their legs to push a larger one. Our two younger kids learnt before 5 on a 12 inch bike, but J didn't learn until he was 7 or 8 because we made the mistake of buying a 16 inch as his first bike. Once they have the balance and starting sorted they can move to the larger bike quite quickly.

We did it the same as KrissiK, running along behind, but we start on grass with a firm base so that falling doesn't hurt much.

We took the pedals off our middle daughter's bike, too. We made sure she could touch the ground and she scooted around the driveway for a few days. She then took the bike to the top of a gentle hill and rode down, just balancing and steering. Once she had a handle on that, she asked for the pedals to be put back on. She was riding by the end of the day.

Our son is 5, but isn't feeling confident enough to let us take off the training wheels or pedals yet. When he's ready, though, we'll do the same thing for him.

I agree with taking the pedals off as well as starting with a smaller bike.

My daughter (5yo) is almost there (if she would get over her fear of falling and also realizing that going faster helps her not tip). The problem is she is on a larger bike so it is harder for her to get her foot down when she stops, she tends to tip over instead.

A suggestion for longer bike rides while you're working on getting rid of the training wheels...my six year old (and my three year old) rides a trail-a-bike. We have this one:

http://www.trail-a-bike.com/product/trail-a-bikes/original-folder-1/

and this one:

http://www.burley.com/products/child/piccolo.cfm

both bought used. Much easier than hauling a trailer, and I think it really helps them get a feel for balance and all that. I expect we'll keep using these for longer rides even after my 6 year old sheds his training wheels...I suspect it will be another year or two before he's ready to keep up on rides longer than 3 or 4 miles.

we just ran behind the kid, holding onto the seat and yelling 'Keep pedaling'. then when they get their speed up , let go, still running behind so they think you are holding on. then afterwards when they look back and see you a few yards behind ( because you are puffed out and can't keep up) they crash, and you tell them how far they did it all by themselves. they are happy, and have enough confidence.

my youngest learned to ride a bike at age just turned 2. he just hoped on one day and started riding. he had no training wheels or anything. he was so small, that he couldn't touch the ground with his feet to stop, so he would always aim for a bush and crash right into it.

Wow love the idea of removing the pedals, we didn't think of that. Ditto on the bike size too, make sure it's a small bike that they can sit flat footed on. We put his training wheels all the way up so he was really wobbly. Then i got on my bike and we rode around the neighborhood for about 2 weeks with him working on not using them. Took off the training wheels and he rode just fine! It was amazing. I was really expecting to have to huff and puff after him holding the back and all.

Good luck!

take the pedals off the bike. I see someone beat me to the suggestion! Great minds and all that. . .

:iagree: My girls both learned to ride their bikes in less than 1 weekend using a bike w/o pedals. Once they had the balancing act down pat, pedaling was a breeze.

Thanks for all the responses. We're trying the no pedals/small bike thing. My older son learned on a smaller bike (it was a friend's).

DH has a question about the trail-a-bikes (he's been looking into getting one) Is it hard for the adult to balance with the kid behind them? We're hesitant to shell out the $$ for one...but also very tempted.

I have a question about the size of the bike. Our 6 yo hasn't learned to ride yet either. He just got a 16 inch bike and we got rid of the 12 inch. He is 4ft tall. Do you think he'll be able to do the balancing with taking the pedals off? What all should he do with pedals off? Do you still push from behind, or should he do all the pushing himself? I just trying to picture how this works.

DH has a question about the trail-a-bikes (he's been looking into getting one) Is it hard for the adult to balance with the kid behind them? We're hesitant to shell out the $$ for one...but also very tempted.

No, not really. I mean, you can tell the difference, but you get used to it very quickly--Neither dh nor I has had any trouble at all, and we're definitely not super-experienced bikers or anything. They have cheaper versions at Target, et. al. but I read some bad reviews of those, so we held out for the Adams and Piccolo. The Adams was $90 used on Craigslist, I think, and in like new condition.

I didn't have time to read through everything so maybe somebody already suggested this. The easiest way we have found to teach it is to take them to a field and let them ride/fall, ride/fall, ride/fall, ride/fall. It doesn't take long and falling in a field of grass removes the high-anxiety element. Both of our kids learned in just a couple of hours this way.

Using a Razor-type scooter (but not the kind with 2 wheels in back) made all the difference for my oldest. He learned balance that way, and when he tried the bike again, it clicked. I also know kids where those no pedal bikes have really helped. For both of our kids, they learned quickly when they were interested and motivated themselves, as opposed to when we wanted them to.

Does your dc "want to learn" to ride? Most of my dc wanted to learn so bad on their own, that we just turned them loose w/ a 2 wheel bike in the grass or sandy driveway, and a couple hours later, they were riding on their own. Although I know this wont be much help unless your dc is self motivated to learn.

No, he doesn't. :glare: The rest of us want him to learn. We'll be getting a trail-a-bike this weekend. When will I learn to pick my battles? :banghead:

• 8 months later...

I haven't read all the responses, so this may have been said, but we taught ds on the grass at first because he was afraid of falling. We held onto the seat and ran after him. After a few tries on the grass, we moved to the driveway. Within a day, he had it down, and no longer needed us. He was 6.5.

Our two eldest children both learned to ride a two wheeler at age 3. All we did was give them a little bike and let them practice until they could do it. Also we never gave them training wheels - dh says the training wheels teach them not to balance properly, slowing their progress down.

I agree with just taking the training wheels off. A few weeks ago I put my 6 year old on her bike and just pushed! Off she went into the grass and rode half way across the lawn. That was the only help she needed. She is whipping around the driveway now. I taught myself to ride when I was four just by coasting down a slight hill. That way they don't have to peddle and can just work on balance.