Menu

What is twaddle?

Twaddle is what people call a book w/ no literary merit. Twaddle is very much in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think if you enjoy a book, even if it is pure entertainment, then it is not twaddle. It did serve a purpose. But that's just me.

I agree with you. Someone looked a little askance at me once when I made a case that "When You Give A Mouse a Cookie" is a great book, definitely not junk reading. The other person was complaining that her daughter didn't like... oh, I can't remember, I think it was the Andrew Lang Fairy Books or something like that. I suggested Mouse. Debate ensued. Charlotte Mason rolled over in her grave. Pretty crazy. Just because a book is colorful and fun doesn't make it "twaddle." Junie B. Jones is another issue altogether... she isn't allowed even for fun. :tongue_smilie:

So, anyway, is there a list somewhere that summarizes how Charlotte Mason classified books - twaddle versus not twaddle?

I think many people use the term twaddle as a reference to Charlotte Mason's teaching. She advocated using living books to teach children. Her definition of twaddle:Twaddle is idle, trivial chatter, or witless drivel that tries to talk down to a child.

There is at least one reference in her writing to letting children read twaddle in their free time to encourage a love of reading.

A summary of her views on education can be found here.

Edited by Karen in CO

Twaddle--a word used by people who want to feel self-important and intellectually superior.

:D That is funny and all to often accurate.

We just had this discussion - or rather dds had this discussion with some gfs today. The question raised, "Are Barbie books twaddle?" It was an interesting conversation. One dc pointed out the Barbie "big sister" book was very helpful to her when her little sister was a baby. Another mentioned the Barbie dvds about classic ballet.

Basically, I think Barbie is twaddle. But, it was fun listening to a group of 9-13 year olds discussing it!

Junie B., First Grader: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! (P.S. So Does May), by Barbara Park

http://www.amazon.com/Junie-B-First-Grader-Jingle/dp/0375828087#reader

Here's an excerpt of this gem:

"Winter break is the school word for I gotta get out of this place, I tell you! 'Cause blabbermouth May is driving me crazy! She is tattletaling on me every day almost! That's how come yesterday I chased her down on the playground. And I threw grass on her head. It was fun. Except I hope Santa did not see me do that. That guy watches me like a hawk this time of year."

That type of insipid "writing" would turn me off to reading -- hence, TWADDLE.

:lol: :lol: Note to self... never try to become one of these people. Remember that both you and your children think the book "I Stink" is worthy enough to be a part of your permanent collection. :D

Uh-oh- So now I need to question my youngest dd's collection of Walter the Farting Dog ? I used to really hate Walter, until I read it. Now I think its great.

There is good news, my ds who used to love Captain Underpants when he was in 3rd grade took a hardbound copy of Candide to read on the plane when he went back to school. :D Now how often can you fit those two books into the same sentence?

Uh-oh- So now I need to question my youngest dd's collection of Walter the Farting Dog ? I used to really hate Walter, until I read it. Now I think its great.

There is good news, my ds who used to love Captain Underpants when he was in 3rd grade took a hardbound copy of Candide to read on the plane when he went back to school. :D Now how often can you fit those two books into the same sentence?

Ummm....we own Walter too. And I can't even blame it on the fact that I had no idea of the wonderful ideas of Miss Mason. It's kinda like my secret obsession with tabloid magazines. Utter twaddle. I think there is no defending that one. :lol:

http://homehearts.com/tools/living-books/

Excellent points on this site about twaddle....I wholeheartedly agree with this site's perspective. We still read twaddle...my daughters love Nancy Drew, Mandie series, and Calvin & Hobbes (among others)...these books don't qualify for our school list...we're not going to be discussing them to strengthen our education...but we do discuss them when there's something particularly hilarious or remarkable....It goes back to the 80/20 rule..80% living books and 20% twaddle doesn't bother me, if it ever tipped the other way....that would mean I was failing my kids....same thing with diet...twaddle is a big mac combo....living is a fresh salad and wild salmon...just because you want to eat the good stuff doesn't mean you are self-important or superior, it means you respect what goes into your body.

Tara

another secret Walter fan here :D

I read all kinds of twaddle as a kid ~ I also read the complete works of Dostoevsky for fun at about 13. I think the idea that one must shield the delicate brains of children from "twaddle" in order to produce intelligent, literate children is just silly.

Jackie

I guess I have two different categories of books I consider twaddle.

#1: Books that are fluff or "brain candy." I read trashy romance novels in between my adventures in high-brow literature (really...TRASHY ones-bodice ripping, glistening shaft, etc). Just because I recognize it as "brain candy" doesn't mean I don't read it sometimes. So...I guess I don't really think I'm acting in a superior manner, just an honest one.

#2: Books that contain completely stupid insipid writing. There is little to no character development and the dialogue is terrible. I hate those books with a burning passion. If that's me being intellectually superior, so be it.

Twaddle is in the eye of the beholder. (Now there is a mixed metaphor I never thought I'd write.)

I've heard people extol the virtues of some literature not realizing it was considered very 3rd rate literature. Any yet there can be merit in fiction that is not literature. It is just not literary merit. Most people can't read literature all the time. Nobody expects that of adults why expect it of children? Of course it is like junk food. A little won't hurt you, but wouldn't want to only eat junk food.

Assigned and "taught" reading is carefully selected to bring new insights and fresh expressions of old concepts to our children. It is rich, truthful, well-written, and launches thought and discussion. I may be difficult, but is rewarding. Twaddle may be light, fun, relaxing, cheaply written, and easily forgotten. It has little or no real value beyond entertainment.

This is how I understand it. I don't like the term, though, because it has been used on me with snobbery and pretense.

I am glad we all like to read, and we have lots to choose from to meet our needs of the moment. I like the nutritious meal AND the junky dessert.

I read all kinds of twaddle as a kid ~ I also read the complete works of Dostoevsky for fun at about 13. I think the idea that one must shield the delicate brains of children from "twaddle" in order to produce intelligent, literate children is just silly.

I would argue that the average child today is ONLY reading twaddle, if anything at all. It is a rare ps child who is reading Dostoevsky at ALL, nevermind for fun. There is no balance. The child really is only used to reading this level of literature, and anything more challenging is boring and difficult for them. With this in mind, yes, I think more children should be "shielded." Children that are being given a classical education (or children like you were, not sure if you were homeschooled)? Probably not something to worry about.

I think twaddle is similar to television viewing. You can watch it for fun, but if that's all you do, you need to expand your horizons.

I would rather err on the side of respecting kids' interests and where 'they are at', book-wise. I have never met a person who enjoyed reading who never went over the 'twaddle' line, even as children. I think letting book-loving children unfold and muck through is important. Respecting their varied tastes as they grow is super -more- important.

I would think a good way to get a child to hate reading is for a parent to tell them that the novel they are currently enjoying is crap.

Twaddle is not part of my parenting/hsing lexicon. Leave them be. I have never met a real reader who hasn't read everything at one time or another.

I would argue that the average child today is ONLY reading twaddle, if anything at all. It is a rare ps child who is reading Dostoevsky at ALL, nevermind for fun. There is no balance. The child really is only used to reading this level of literature, and anything more challenging is boring and difficult for them. With this in mind, yes, I think more children should be "shielded." Children that are being given a classical education (or children like you were, not sure if you were homeschooled)? Probably not something to worry about.

I think twaddle is similar to television viewing. You can watch it for fun, but if that's all you do, you need to expand your horizons.

I would argue that the average child is reading nothing.

I had a friend who constantly re-read series books and such, but more for comfort than for intellectual exercise. I think there's something sort of charming about snuggling down with an easy read because a book makes you happy. A book as a friend -- what a thought.

I also think CM used "twaddle" far, far less than most CM followers do. And I tend to agree with AmeliaJade.

I have heard people who seem to think anything written long ago is great stuff, when I don't agree. I love many modern books, for many reasons. I find some supposedly anti-twaddle (and the people who are fans of it) to be remarkably long-winded and boring.

But I loathe books that exist solely as a marketing vehicle. I am sad to see how popular this has become in recent years. I wouldn't call it twaddle, though. I think some people do need to start with easy reads and work their way up, and insulting their current reading is unlikely to do anything but make them defensive and turned off.

And many artists and authors were not appreciated in their time period, so one shouldn't be too confident that one opinion will stand for all time!

I would think a good way to get a child to hate reading is for a parent to tell them that the novel they are currently enjoying is crap.

I can not imagine a parent telling their child this...my children respect my opinion and know my motivations....I guess we've been fortunate..I spent long hours looking over book lists and thoughtfully using books such as Books Children Love and Honey for a Child's Heart to make those first books "quality" books...my children are drawn to "living" books....do I think it's because you give a kid good food and they start to crave it? I think so...just as I think any kid would likely want to eat junk more than they do...so I don't throw a child into a library without giving them a foundation from which to build...I think we have a responsibility to raise our children with a solid foundation for quality literature v. the twaddle...the word is almost never used in our household but we know what it is.

Time is limited...it's better to read well, live well, give well....loving long-windedness and boring those who twiddle in twaddle :)

I guess I have two different categories of books I consider twaddle.

#1: Books that are fluff or "brain candy." I read trashy romance novels in between my adventures in high-brow literature (really...TRASHY ones-bodice ripping, glistening shaft, etc). Just because I recognize it as "brain candy" doesn't mean I don't read it sometimes. So...I guess I don't really think I'm acting in a superior manner, just an honest one.

#2: Books that contain completely stupid insipid writing. There is little to no character development and the dialogue is terrible. I hate those books with a burning passion. If that's me being intellectually superior, so be it.

This. I call #1 chocolate. Everyone knows even momma loves chocolate, but a diet full of chocolate isn't good for you. :001_smile:

I put regurgitated movie plots in #2 also. Not books that share stories with movies, but those that are retelling of tv episodes or movies and introduce absolutely nothing new to the child.

I haven't read a lot of what I'd call Twaddle for kids. Most of the kids books I have read as a child, or read to my children have been excellent. But...that is my opinion. I daresay some of our selections might be deemed twaddle by some. :)

However, I have picked up quite a few adult books that I would deem twaddle. Amateurish writing...simple plots, ridiculous, unbelievable characters. Ugh. I hate that kind of thing. After reading the classics for so many years I am harder to suit than some perhaps.

As a teen I'd read Harlequin romances. I can't bear them now. Not that I don't occasionally pick up a romance novel. And there are a few well written ones out there. But even the good ones start to pall on me after a while. Too formulaic. But the worst ones read like they were written by a student in a "how to write a novel in 30 days" class...

Susu