Menu

Please share what you are using for 1st grade...

Allison TX

My daughter is 6 1/2. We just began 1st grade and our days seem so short! We are finished with everything in under an hour. I have been leaning more towards a CM educational philosophy, but still feel like we should be doing more. When my boys were in 1st, we followed the WTM recs, and they were spending much more time doing school.:confused:

I would love to see what some of you are using and about how much time you spend on "school work".

Allison

We spent about that long for 1st grade, and even less time for K. But, 10 minutes a day with Webster's Speller was enough to get her reading out of the KJV. My daughter is going into second grade, but what we used for 1st grade is still in my signature. I did add a few subjects in January and increased the time a little, we didn't as much history the first half of the year, and we added Spanish and Geography in January, and also started spending more time on Grammar.

My 1st grade DD spends about two hours on school. Sometimes she spends more because she doesn't really want to be done until my older DDs are finished, but the extra time is usually spent on coloring books and other fun stuff. I don't think everything I do is necessary with a 1st grader, but this particular child pushes and always wants to do more, so for her, two hours is not excessive. My general rule, though, is an hour per grade level until middle school.

FLL 1

WWE 1

Little Angels Phonics workbook and OPGTR

Abeka Math 1

Faith & Life 1

Maps, Charts & Graphs A

Story of the World 1 with Biblioplan books and some Sonlight readers/read alouds

Apologia Zoology 3 with a co-op group

Ballet and swim lessons

We are starting on Monday, so I don't have a definite time-per-day on this yet, but I'm assuming 1 to 2 hours at most.

Bible Study Guide for All Ages, with sibs

McRuffy Color Math First Grade

FLL 1

WWE 1

NAC (only because she is dying to learn cursive)

SOTW 1

BFSU

Nature Study once a week, with Nature Portfolio

Themes to Remember/Artistic Pursuits/various other fine arts stuff

ballet and swimming lessons

Right Start A / Singapore 1 A & B

First Language Lessons

Handwriting Without Tears

Explode the code/Bob Books/ Hooked on Phonics

Lots of read alouds (longer fiction, poetry, myths, Fairy tales, Nature themed, nonfiction to pair with science & history topics)

SOTW 1 w/ activity guide alternating w/R.E.A.L. Science

Themes to Remember alternating w/Artistic Purstuits

Weekly Nature study

and I'm still deciding on Spanish, plan to implement in October.

I haven't actually gotten all the subjects up & running yet so we'll see how it goes. I am leaning towards a CM approach as well so all of these are short lessons some are just 1 time a week.

Language Arts: The majority of our time is on this. I'd say about 30-45 minutes total, but we don't do everything every day.

OPGTR M-Th

Reading aloud together (this week a Magic Treehouse book for example)

Beyond the Code 2 on Fridays as something different

WWE

FLL

Silent reading time for 15 minutes a day.

Math: Probably about 15 minutes on the actual lesson, ds likes math so we often end up playing games for longer than that but it just depends on the day and on him.

Singapore 1A

Various math games for working on memorizing math facts

Other: I typically do the basics in the morning and then the others after lunch. How much time depends on the day and if we are doing something like an activity for history. We made a Lego pyramid this week and ds could have done that all day. But most days the afternoon is maybe about another hour. And it wouldn't be all of these on one day. Typically history 3-4 times a week, science 1-2 and music and art each once a week.

Story of the World 1 with Activity Guide and read-alouds

Science- Reading about Animals for Biology study

Music- The Story of the Orchestra

Art- various projects, picture study, etc.

So usually about 2 hours a day but broken up into different chunks.

My 1st grader does this:

ETC (10 mins daily)

Pictures in Cursive (5-10 mins daily)

Singapore Math 1B (20-30 mins daily)

FLL2 (15 mins 2X per week w/sis)

WWE 1 (20 mins 2X per week)

SOTW 1 (30-40 mins 2X per week w/sis)

REAL Science Odyssey: Life (30-40 mins 2X per wk w/sis)

Pianimals (practice 15-20 mins daily)

Ecoutez, Parlez (15-20 mins 3X per wk w/sis)

Read Aloud from Elson Reader (15 mins 4X per week)

Lots of Independent Reading (daily)

Poetry Memorization, Art, Music Appreciation (1-2X per month ea., 30 mins)

This is kind of spread out through the day b/c I rotate lessons with her older sis. However, if I taught her straight through, and without counting the independent reading time, it would probably end up being less than 2 hours, depending on the length of particular lessons in Math, Science and History. Also, a lot of the time, if we are doing a project in history or art, it might take longer because dc are enjoying it and want to do more. I just go with the flow.

My curricula is on my blog. The link is in my signature. I would say total time to finish everything is a couple of hours (not including PE). I've not added science yet or begun narrations. We've only been going 3 weeks, and I wanted to ease him back into school work.

Here's how it breaks down weekly:

Daily-

Bible

Math

Grammar

Reading

Spelling

PE

3 Days a Week-

History

Critical Thinking

Vocabulary

Copywork

Phonics

1 Day a week-

Art

Music

Allison,

My first grader is also six-and-a-half (January bday). I recently shared his plan for the year. As you can see below, he's doing:

WWE 1 doubled up (two "days" in a day)

copywork memory work (they're combined)

piano

Latin

Hebrew

RightStart Math

This takes him about an hour to two hours, depending on interruptions, mood, etc.

Then he does his content areas, a la LCC, one per day. Those can go on as long as we want them to go on because they involve reading living books, asking questions, devising notebook pages, talking (a lot of talking) and doing crafts and other activities. I stretch or shorten to match his interest level. One afternoon he was completely absorbed in geography so we did it for three hours. That's probably the max.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed
redundancy

This has been our first week so I don't know have accurate times worked out (plus we're on a farm so sometimes schoolwork gets jumbled) but here is was my 5 year old is working on:

WWE1

FLL1

OPGTTR

History Odyssey Ancients

REAL Science Earth and Space

Artistic Pursuits

Color the Classics

Rightstart Math A

Russian and German

plus lots of read-alouds

Edited by Sasha
forgot about math

My ds6 in a typical day does:

A Reason for Handwriting-10-15 min.

R&S Fine Motor Skills workbook-10-15 min.

Singapore Math-10-20 min. depending on topic

FLL 1/2-10-20 min. depending on lesson

Singapore Start Up Science-15-20 minutes

The Reading Lesson-15-20 minutes

History for Little Pilgrims-15-20 minutes

Read Alouds-time varies

Starting in Sept. on Mondays he will also do co-op from 2-5 pm for language arts, music, art, and p.e.

It takes us 2-2.5 hours to do his work, but he is rotating in and out of kitchen with the other 2 school age kids. He also will begin cub scouts this year as well.

This takes us 1-2 hours per day.

Phonics Pathways (5x per week)

Math U See Alpha (5x per week)

First Language Lessons 1 (3x per week)

Writing With Ease 1 (2x per week)

Handwiting without Tears (2x per week)

Elemental Science Biology (5x per week)

Story of the World 1 and Activity Guide (5x per week)

For first grade last year my dd did:

Rod and Staff math 2

R&S reading and phonics 1 w/workbooks and extra worksheets. The T.M also included instructions for daily spelling, which we did.

R&S music 1

SOTW vol. 1

WTM style Science

We spent more time on this than an hour. But most of that time was devoted to the math and to History. Even the L.A took us close to 45 min. to do the lesson and then her workbook portion most days. I would say we spent closer to 3 hours. A couple in the morning and then 1 in the afternoon.

Dd did LLATL Blue from January to July and we're now doing Tanglewood's Phonics and easy readers. From here we'll do the SL1 "real book" readers (not I Can Read It) and, perhaps, the Pathway 1.2 and 1.3 readers before picking up LLATL Red in January for 2nd grade. Our school year is Jan-Dec. I'm also going to start WWE1 and FLL1 with dd next Monday and we've already started doing a bit of Penny Gardner's Beautiful Handwriting for Children. We used HWT up until now, but I'd like to switch to Italics instead of going on to cursive.

For math, we're almost done with SM 1A and the corresponding Miquon sheets. When dd needs more practice, we also use Math Mammoth.

We do science and history together. We're finishing up a mom-mixed version of the old SL 1 and 2 and then we'll do WP American Story in January. We did Little Otter's Science last year as well as an outside weekly class. This year we're doing GSA Insects and Arachnids to complement ds's bug science class at coop and GSA Landforms at our outside weekly science class. We also do museum classes once a month and watch a lot of Nova and BBC documentaries because we're all science buffs.

We're going to do Spanish at home this year finishing Puertas Abiertas next month and moving on to La Clase Divertida because I like to have a video component and The Complete Spanish for worksheets.

Dd also takes Kindermusik, TKD, ballet, soccer and coop classes.

What Doodle is doing is in my signature, but here is a breakdown.

Language Arts Block

Kumon Reading (6x/wk)

Calvert Discoveries in Reading 3 (casually mixed with other books)

Wordly Wise 2 (5x/wk)

Easy Grammar 3 (5x/wk)

MCP Phonics C (5x/wk)

Queen's Copywork for Memorization (5x/wk)

Ambleside Online Yr1 poetry and read-alouds (4x/wk)

Penmanship (2x/wk)

IEW: All Things Fun and Fascinating (2x/wk)

Math Block

Kumon Math (6x/wk)

Making Math Meaningful 5 (2x/wk)

Primary Challenge Math (2x/wk)

History and Science

WinterPromise QMA tagalong (4x/wk)

WinterPromise WAM (4x/wk)

Nature Walks with older brother (shooting for at least 2x/wk)

Elective Foreign Language and Music

RS Farsi (2x/wk)

Calvert Discoveries in Music (2x/wk)

Violin (practice about 15min/day with lessons 1x/wk)

4 days each week take about 4 hours. One day each week is just Language Arts, Kumon, and Violin, so it is less than 2 hours. Saturday is just Kumon and Violin, so it is a little less than an hour. On Sundays Doodle plays the violin for his dad for all of about 5 minutes as his dad just wants to hear this past week's lesson and that is it for Sunday.

HTH-

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN
forgot the AO1 stuff

Guest sarathan

My 1st-grader is going to be doing HOD's Little Hearts for His Glory this fall pretty much as written except we're doing Singapore Primary 1A/1B for math. I think it's supposed to take 60-90 mins. to complete everything.

My first grader uses:

Daily:

-FLL or copywork (they stagger)

-A Reason For Spelling

-memory work

-reading lesson

-math

-science or history, which will include narrations (his big sibs stagger those weekly, I'm tossing him into their rotation)

About once a week:

-A Reason For Handwriting (This will probably be dropped entirely before too long)

This is about the same load that his older two siblings both did in first grade too. I doubt it took any of them much more than an hour. I prefer it that way. :) (My oldest raced through it in about twenty minutes.) First grade is the first formal year for my kids, this light and enjoyable pace is perfect. They were all more than ready for second grade when they got there, which was a smidgeon more challenging. Third grade is where it starts taking more time, in my experience.

My 1st grader is going to use

Jolly Phonics, MCP phonics and ETC combined

OPGTR

SWO A(when we hit the mid point of OPGTR)

Sonlight K

MUS Primer/Alpha and Horizons K

Sonlight Science K

WWE 1

FLL 1

Artistic pursuits K-3 book1(finish) and 2

Home ec for homeschoolers book 1 and 2

HWOT

A few Kumon and dover books for fine motor skill building

Nature study

Handicrafts

Abeka health, safety and manners 1

Mission Monde ABC (french)

Leading little ones to God

Variety of other little projects (september theme pockets, lapbooks etc)

Total take about 3 hours but not all sitting in one place. We rotate through seat work and movement work, into different rooms etc. He asks for more but I want him to have the afternoons to himself to play.

He also takes private music lessons and needs to practice daily, will be taking an art class and other extra curric's for PE.

What we're using is mostly in my siggy :) Add to that Picture Study with Getting to Know the Greatest Artists and Composer Study Getting to Know the Greatest Composers, Theology and Virtues, Copywork, and Dictation (for spelling -- one word in the beginning). We have a Charlotte Mason school, so short lessons and free afternoons.

Edited by sagira

I'm planning on 3 1/2 hours a day plus breaks.

Bible - Scripture memorization, Orthodox Children's Bible Reader, Child's Book of Character Building (15 min, 5x)

Math - MUS Beta (30 min, 4x)

History - SOTW 1, SOTW Activity book, Usborne Ancient History, HITW Ancients cards (30 min, 5x)

Spelling - Spelling Workout (10 min, 5x)

Grammar - EFTTC (15 min, 5x)

Reading - Gilgamesh, the Odyssey, Greek Myths - all by Geraldine McCaughrean (20min, 5x plus 30 min free reading)

Writing - HWT (10 min, 5x)

Science - Noeo Science Chemistry 1 (45 min, 2x)

Latin - Prima Latina (20 min, 3x)

Spanish - the Learnables (20 min, 2x)

Music - Classical Music for Dummies, iTunes while coloring (30 min, 2x)

Art - Drawing with Children, Discovering Great Artists (60 min, 1x)

I'm glad to see this thread! We just started back this week and I almost felt guilty that we have been done so quickly. It takes us about 2 hrs to 2 1/2 hrs to do everything and I closely follow WTM suggestions. That's not counting nightly read-alouds and piano lessons once a week. We just do 4 days/week here. My friends that send their kids to public school are skeptical that this is enough time, but I love all the free time she has to indulge in imaginative play and just be a kid.

Gwen

Math - Abeka 1

Journal / copywork (we alternate these)

All About Spelling

Writing With Ease 1

Reading - Hooked on Phonics, Explode the Code, Victory Drill Book

Handwriting w/o Tears

Subject of the Day: (ONE of the following)

History - a simplified version of states and presidents, I Love America

Science - Let's Read and Find out About series from the library - he'll sit in on chemistry experiments with the older kids

Thinking Skills - Can You Find Me?

Art, Music, PE, Spanish etc, will be taught at co-op this year

My ds was in 1st grade last year, and my dd the year before. Their schedules were about the same. They did:

Bible

Time4Learning (math and language arts/phonics)

Italic Handwriting

FIAR

I'm remembering it took about 1-1 1/2 hours a day. On a rare day, it might have taken 2 hours.

My oldest took longer, mainly because I had more time to read aloud to her - I'm remembering maybe 2-2 1/2 hours average for her.

Blessings,

Laura

If you're looking to try a few more things, you might look at starting a Map Skills book. They are very gentle, and yet teach stuff that your child might not just absorb on her own.

We liked this series for early elementary.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Scholastic+Success+with+Maps+Grade+1/020017/1250955276-1525838

hth!

An hour sounds about right. My 6 year old first grader takes a little longer, but only b/c she sits in on our MFW history/science/read alouds and that alone is usually an hour. Her work takes 45 minutes to an hour. I'm using with her:

Reading Made Easy (3x a week)

All About Spelling (every day)

Math-u-see Alpha (every day)

Italic handwriting (every day)

And then whatever is in the MFW Exploration to 1850, with the 2nd/3rd grade supplement.

We are finishing in about 2 hrs. It is amazing how efficient one on one instruction can be. We do 2 pages of ETC 2 followed by a page of Phonics Pathways. I dictate 2 sentences from PP for him to write after the lesson. He then reads one story from the I Can Read books from Sonlight and completes one lesson of WWE 1. All of this language arts takes about an hour. We move quickly through it. I pull out everything we need and stack it on the table next to us. For math we are using RightStart B. At this level it only takes 1/2hr. We finish the day with Tapestry of Grace reading and narration, science, or an activity. I work with him first thing in the morning while the older boys work independently so that he can play with the youngest for the rest of the day.

We're still ordering things, but this is what I have PLANNED for Dot (hybrid K/1st/2nd grader):

First semester:

Daily:

CLE 100 Language Arts

CLE 104-110 Math/ MEP level 1

Literature: a selection of classic novels adapted for children

2-3X week:

CLE 1 Reading, Bible, Art & Music

Flip Flop French

I Love America (history)/ CLE 1 Social studies

Solomon Primary Science/ CLE 1 science

yoga/tumbling

I haven't read all the responses. :) But we're using: