Menu

I'm way out of touch... is it a faux pas...

for a woman in her 40's to wear very light colored nylons with a summer suit?:confused:

I just don't feel comfortable going to an evening function with bare legs which will show all the latest bruises I got from riding, working cows, building fence, etc.:glare:

Help please?

:bigear::bigear:

for a woman in her 40's to wear very light colored nylons with a summer suit?:confused:

I just don't feel comfortable going to an evening function with bare legs which will show all the latest bruises I got from riding, working cows, building fence, etc.:glare:

Help please?

:bigear::bigear:

Coming from another woman in her 40's who feels "out of touch", I'd have to say, depends on the color of the hose. If you're talking "skin" color such as a shade of tan, I would say that's acceptable. If you're talking white, like from back in the 80's, definitely not.

However, what color is the suit? If it's black or even red, since it's evening, you could go with black stockings. If the suit is a light color, I'd probably go with a "tan" color stocking.

Then again, if it's an outdoor function, I wouldn't wear the black stockings. I might even skip stockings altogether. Perhaps one of the tanning products would cover up the bruises.

HTH

Edited by Peggy in Va

I don't bother keeping up with what's "fashionable;" I just wear what I like and what I think looks nice. If you'd like to wear nice hose and like how they look with your outfit, go for it!

I'm a big fan of stockings in the winter and bare legs in the summer, myself. ;)

OK, this is an indoor function, and very conservative (if that matters...). It is for a friend's ordination to the catholic priesthood. My suit is very light pink and white, and I'm wearing light blue strappy sandals. The hose I'm considering are basically "nude" color. I just feel better with my legs covered.

My goodness, I feel REALLY old!

I'm quickly crossing into the "What do I care what other people think?" space. But I really don't want to be old and frumpy before my time.... kwim?

Well, I'm not in my 40s yet but, in my world, if you're putting on a suit, you're putting on hose, too. And heels, even if they're low pumps.

I always favored flesh colored (meaning the actual color of my, personal, flesh), thong toe ones, so I could wear open toe shoes, but I wore suits to work, in the daytime.

So, in my 38 y.o. opinion, a suit without hose is half dressed.

I agree. I haven't seen hose on anyone for a couple years now and I personally avoid them at all costs. But, if you feel comfortable and want to disguise bruises, wear them. The heck with what other people think! :o FWIW, I've got hideous spider veins and rarely show above the midcalf anyway. LOL

Really? People don't wear hose anymore? (Yes, I'm over 40)

People here wear hose to church and meetings and work! Many go without, but there are a lot of women who wear them!

I'd wear them, especially since it makes you feel more comfortable! (That from someone who wears them to church cuz she doesn't know they're unfashionable! ;) )

Here's what it says in this month's edition of Oprah magazine (page 94) :

Q. I feel naked without pantyhose (and my legs aren't as attractive as they once were.) Do I have to go bare?

A. Please--I'm not a stocking cop! Nude legs are chic, but I won't say no to hose. What's critical: matching them exactly to your skin (nothing worse than orangey nylons.) Other tricks:

DO hide flaws with spray tan or bronzing body moisturizer.

DON'T choose elaborate patterns or back seams (they make legs look bigger.)

DO try fishnets, in neutrals and a fine weave. They add interest without looking sleazy.

DON'T wear hose with slingbacks or mules--not attractive.

DO get toeless hose to wear with open-toe shoes

DON'T wear white hose. Ever. Unless you're Nurse Jackie.

I hate hose. Especially panty-hose; they are some weird torture device conceived in the mind of a man to make women miserable. (I suspect this for bras as well)

It was so exciting to me when everyone stopped wearing hose. There is no way I would wear them now, but then, I'm a long, flowing skirt sort of gal. You'd never catch me in a suit. I do have nice, dressy dresses for fancy occasions, but I don't wear hose with them. Haven't for years now.

My hemline is mid-calf to just above the ankle. Yes, my legs are nasty looking, but they are my legs and I don't care. A little tanning lotion takes care of the part that shows.

And, I'm 49yo if that makes a difference.

Well, I am 45. I don't wear hose anymore because I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION. I have sensitive, dry skin and they are like torcher to me. I also don't wear dresses anymore....so...it doesn't really matter. But if I did wear a dress, I would NOT wear hose because now I don't have to! :D

But, I've got daughters age 24 and 17. They say no one should ever wear hose no matter what. Out of fashion forever! Even in the winter!

At my church NO ONE wears hose unless they are over 50 at least and many of them don't either. All the pretty young (teens to 50's) women who dress nice for church are bare legged. The gramas are in hose.

At my homeschool group lots of ladies wear hose, but the ones who do also have long hair and jumpers. :D (not a judgement, just a fact! ) Not exactly todays fashion by any means.

So, that's just the way it is around in my world. I say, wear what you like and feel comfortable in.

Well, I am 45. I don't wear hose anymore because I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION. I have sensitive, dry skin and they are like torcher to me. I also don't wear dresses anymore....so...it doesn't really matter. But if I did wear a dress, I would NOT wear hose because now I don't have to! :D

But, I've got daughters age 24 and 17. They say no one should ever wear hose no matter what. Out of fashion forever! Even in the winter!

At my church NO ONE wears hose unless they are over 50 at least and many of them don't either. All the pretty young (teens to 50's) women who dress nice for church are bare legged. The gramas are in hose.

At my homeschool group lots of ladies wear hose, but the ones who do also have long hair and jumpers. :D (not a judgement, just a fact! ) Not exactly todays fashion by any means.

So, that's just the way it is around in my world. I say, wear what you like and feel comfortable in.

:iagree: Amen sista'!!! I also cannot STAND them. They are pure torture. Seriously - every time I put them on I want to cry. This has always been true. I can't stand anything that tight around my legs. I''ve got the willies just thinking about it!! When I HAD to wear them in high school for orchestra or choir, I used to peel them off ASAP - seriously - in the bathroom right after a concert or in the back of the bus after a performance.

In the winter, I will sometimes wear tights - IF they are looser and VERY thick so that I can't feel anything rubbing my legs through the tights. I am extremely picky about them.

I am VERY happy about the new trend in bare legs!!!!

But, if you are more comfortable in hose, by all means, wear them!! Keep them as close to skin color as possible.

Hose--fine. But not with sandals, not with open toes.

Betsy

OK, this is an indoor function, and very conservative (if that matters...). It is for a friend's ordination to the catholic priesthood. My suit is very light pink and white, and I'm wearing light blue strappy sandals. The hose I'm considering are basically "nude" color. I just feel better with my legs covered.

My goodness, I feel REALLY old!

I'm quickly crossing into the "What do I care what other people think?" space. But I really don't want to be old and frumpy before my time.... kwim?

No hose in summer. Tights in winter. I'm no fashion diva by a long shot. :lol: Since you asked. lol

But I agree with others; wear what makes you feel comfortable.

My mother didn't like giving up hose-- she was used to them. However, she's been wearing a nice self-tanner on her legs (there are some really great ones now) and she feels better. She is also a huge capri fan, and one of the only women I know who can look absolutly dressed up in them. She can really carry carry off that look. Very Laura Petri. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

OK, here's my update. I wore the hose. Then of course, I had to look around at ALL the other women to see what they were doing.....(Will I ever grow up?)

So, the vast majority were bare legged. Yup, just the grandma's and I were covering our legs. Bummer. I need to update. I guess if I don't feel comfortable in a knee-length skirt and bare legs, I ought to buy some longer dresses. I am tall and slender, and dh says I have great legs. I never feel self-conscious in running shorts. But I only saw the VERY YOUNG women wearing knee length or shorter skirts and bare legs.

Sheesh. I need to get out more often!

Thanks everyone. It was fun to read your responses.

IMO, you did not make a mistake. The event and the location determine the attire. A smart suit with skirt covering your knee with nude hose and closed toe, no more than 2inch heel, pumps. Your blouse should not have shown cleavage or hint at your lingerie at all and jewerly and hair should be simple and understated. You should have looked more like Jackie Kennedy than Michelle Obama. Both women have got it together and are really very similar, but they illustrate the subtle difference between what is appropriate at an ordination (Jackie) and what is appropriate at a wedding (Michelle) at the same church.

OK, here's my update. I wore the hose. Then of course, I had to look around at ALL the other women to see what they were doing.....(Will I ever grow up?)

So, the vast majority were bare legged. Yup, just the grandma's and I were covering our legs. Bummer. I need to update. I guess if I don't feel comfortable in a knee-length skirt and bare legs, I ought to buy some longer dresses. I am tall and slender, and dh says I have great legs. I never feel self-conscious in running shorts. But I only saw the VERY YOUNG women wearing knee length or shorter skirts and bare legs.

Sheesh. I need to get out more often!

Thanks everyone. It was fun to read your responses.

I'm glad you asked this question, cuz I'm honestly am so out of it(fashion) that I had no idea! :tongue_smilie: Now I know! You never know what you're going to learn on this board! :D

Really? People don't wear hose anymore? (Yes, I'm over 40)
I don't know anyone under 60 who still wears hose, with the exception of one man who wears them when morris dancing.