Menu

Silly question - sharpened pencils?

mirabillis

A very silly question... but one that boggled our mind all last year. We couldn't manage to keep our pencils sharpened, without the lead falling out. We used all-wood #2 pencils, the cheaper colored kind... you name it, the pencil lead ALWAYS fell out. we never had a sharp pencil around here. with both our battery op sharpener & the little hand-sharpeners. anyone else have this problem? got a solution?

This may not be your problem since you experienced it with different kinds of pencils, but we went through a time when we bought a huge pack from Costco, and they were all like that. The only thing I could think of was that the box had been dropped big time and all the leads broke inside the wood. VERY frustrating. We also have this problem consistently when we use hand-held sharpeners, so I don't even bother with those anymore.

We had this problem all year, cheap dollar store pencils, expensive ticaradonga pencils, in between pencils, you name it! My solution this year is to pitch all the wooden pencils except our prismacolors (which did not have this problem) and go with mechanical pencils. They are on sale at staples this week, .25 for a pack of 5, limit of two per customer but each child with a couple of quarters counts as a customer so we brought home 8 packs!

A very silly question... but one that boggled our mind all last year. We couldn't manage to keep our pencils sharpened, without the lead falling out. We used all-wood #2 pencils, the cheaper colored kind... you name it, the pencil lead ALWAYS fell out. we never had a sharp pencil around here. with both our battery op sharpener & the little hand-sharpeners. anyone else have this problem? got a solution?

Not since I switched us to pencils "Made in the USA."

I once went down a rabbit trail when our good electric pencil sharpener died and I was trying to shop for a new one. There are a number of pencil blogs out there that discuss what makes a pencil good or bad and what kind of sharpener is best to use on pencils. Here's one to get you started on your own rabbit trail if you so desire.

We use Dixon Ticondergogas here, but I have an old batch since I overbought once several years ago. I don't think they are made in the USA anymore and I don't know if their quality is still up to snuff. We use a hand crank, table-mounted pencil sharpener. Our colored pencils end up with broken leads more than I'd like, but our regular pencils are fine.

This may not be your problem since you experienced it with different kinds of pencils, but we went through a time when we bought a huge pack from Costco, and they were all like that. The only thing I could think of was that the box had been dropped big time and all the leads broke inside the wood. VERY frustrating. We also have this problem consistently when we use hand-held sharpeners, so I don't even bother with those anymore.

I agree with this poster in that most pencils that have broken leads are caused by dropping. Could be that you've had a bad batch that was damaged in the warehouse or in shipping.

Just a thought...

Blessings,

Lucinda

I had this same problem with some OfficeMax brand pencils last year that were made in VietNam. No matter which way I sharpen them, they are junk.

I just have a table-mounted hand crank sharpener for at home, and a little hand-held manual (looks like a cosmetic pencil sharpener) shaver/sharpener for on the go. Tigonderoga seems to be the sturdiest, though I got so many a couple years back that I haven't had to repurchase - so I haven't seen if the quality is different as of late as another poster said it might be. My kids loved it when we were out & about and broken pencils left us w/o a way to do schoolwork - hasn't happened since we switched brands. HTH!

We had the same problems until we got our Panasonic electric pencil sharpener. Best $40 I have ever spent! Check out all the reviews on amazon.com.

We have the same pencil sharpener and love it. However, my kids love it a little too much as every pencil they get is sharpened to a nub as quickly as they can do it.

I have a dd with "obsessive compulsive pencil sharpening disorder";). She can't stand to write with a dull tip. I am moving to mechanical pencils this year and hoping that it helps.

She might turn into an "obsessive compulsive clicker.":001_huh:

;)

:lol:

Good point...err click...no point. Oh, I just don't know.:001_smile:

My gilrs were this way too and still are to some degree. I did try the mechanical pencils. They just didn't work for us. My dd11 would try and see how long of a lead she could write without it breaking.:glare: They always did break. My other dd9 just loved to click the darn thing.:001_huh:

What worked for us was that I gave them 3 sharpened pencils in the first morning. Next day, they were to prepare for school by sharping their pencils. At one point, they stopped sharping them so much.

I have that problem with the cheap little hand ones, except when I bought Ticonderoga.

Now we're using Dixon (penny sale at Staples) and we absolutely HAVE to use our hand crank sharpener or the leads break. I don't have any problems with the hand crank sharpener.

thanks ladies!

what i thought was a silly question, it seems is something many of you have experienced. i thought it was all just in my head - it was maddening! we used many mechanical pencils too this year...

i think i might give a hand-crank pencil sharpener a shot to see if we can't go the old-fashioned route. i'd looked for one earlier in the year - where did you find yours?

i think i might give a hand-crank pencil sharpener a shot to see if we can't go the old-fashioned route. i'd looked for one earlier in the year - where did you find yours?

I got mine at Walmart, but it uses suction and it only sticks to the kitchen table. If I had to do it over again (or if money allowed) I'd buy one that I can mount on the wall. I've seen them at Staples.

Our pencils came from staples and they stink! I'm making do until we run out, then I'm running to Target thanks to you all.:D

As for compulsive sharpeners, I have 20 pencils sharpened in a mug on the table. You break a tip or it gets dull, get one out of the mug, set it aside and I'll sharpen it later. I can't handle all the up and down to sharpen cruddy pencils.

We've also tried the push up pencils. Remember those? you would take the tip out and push it in the end and a new tip would come up. They still make them, you just have to find them. My dd kept losing hers:glare:

HTH!

Dorinda

Two things I've found: first, you need high quality pencils; and second, you need a high quality (although not necessarily expensive) sharpener. I like the Black Warrior pencils with a sharpener I found at my local teacher supply for about $3. Rainbow Resource does carry the sharpener:

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Metal+2-Hole+Translucent+Oval+Sharpener/039980/1249096006-709614

We bought several packs last year at back to school time from the dollar tree and the lead always broke and fell out! quote]

Were they Black Warrior pencils?

We had that problem with black warrior and cheap brands alike last year. quote]

Were the Black Warrior pencils you had problems with purchased from Dollar Tree?

I saw in a recent thread that Dollar Tree sells Black Warrior pencils and I'd planned on purchasing several packs this week if they haven't sold out. Now I'm wondering if they could be defective.

I got my dd 9 mm mechanical pencils this year that have grips, and they're really nice. Yeah, we probably won't find refills on the erasers. You can either put on the toppers (you know, those cheap things from when we were kids), or use the Pink Pearl eraser. Some brands of the rectangular erasers are junk, but Pink Pearls are dependably good.

I've had the best luck using the Prismacolor sharpener. It works even on the cheap pencils, though the Black Warrior ones have worked the best.

You could try the gel pencils too. My son had a hard time writing with them because the line would sometimes start out faint but they work fine for me. I don't know the brand, I know I finally found them one place locally near the university. The line is not as dark as I like but they never break or need sharpening.

We use inexpensive bulk packs of Bic .9 mm lead mechanical pencils, and replace the lead and erasers as needed. .9 mm lead is a little harder to find, but worth the effort. It is generally necessary to buy replacement lead and erasers from a large office supply emporium.

We often use twist up colored pencils, but ultimately we prefer the ordinary type. We store them in a gallon size clear freezer bag. I simply look them over once or twice a week and sharpen all that seem dull at one time.