Menu

What second language will be teaching your child?

psychgal

Which second language chosen?  

1. 1. Which second language chosen?

• Spanish
    • Latin
    • French
    • German
    • American Sign Language
    • Chinese
    • None or not until high school
    • Other

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Which language(s) will you be teaching your child other than English? And what age will you start them at for each?

We're Texans so Spanish is the best choice for us. The kids actually get an opportunity to use the language and it will be extraordinarily useful to them as they get older...which means they're more likely to retain it.

We start with Spanish picture books in the early years and we'll be doing Elementary Spanish and Rosetta Stone starting in DS6's 1st grade year in August. We might add Latin in 3rd. We'll see...

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

We recently decided to teach German as our foreign language.

Why? because dh took it in HS and remembers a lot. I've always wanted to learn. We hope the OKU German online is still available when the kids get to HS it looks great.

When will we start? Not sure we may pick up Rosetta Stone for a little exposure this year or next. It will be mostly dabbling until the kids are cemented more in the basics.

We technically started Latin in 2nd grade. We've done it pretty informally though, and I feel like we're only getting a good handle on it with a better fit curriculum for us this year. I have a certain standard of spelling, handwriting, and reading ability that I'll use as a benchmark for when to start my remaining kiddos, but I anticipate it will be midway through 2nd through midway through 3rd.

Well, technically speaking, English is their second language (Italian being their first one), but we don't consider it a "foreign language" and they have been rather balanced bilinguals since they were little.

Their first "second" language, i.e. first foreign language, was Hebrew - and even that was not very "foreign" as they grew up somewhat exposed to the language as well (trips to Israel every year at least once, Israeli music and TV, family friends and even some DH's relatives and business partners are Israelis, DH and I sometimes speak Hebrew to each other and we always have family Hebrew time for shabbat when we all speak it together, etc...), so it was more of a "background" language than a truly foreign one. I can't even say when we "introduced" it, it's more like it's always been somewhere in the air. They learned to read it at about 5 years old, but even when they learned to read they understood fairly well what they were reading, and we somehow stressed more learning Hebrew "by osmosis", through using it, than academically (I started teaching them formal grammar, binyanim and such, when they were 4th-5th grade, before that it was simply reading, various stories, speaking, acquiring vocabulary, and lots of passive exposure to the language).

We have been playing with Latin and Greek since kindergarten age, but started studying them more seriously in 3rd-4th grade. I wanted them to have a firm grasp of English and especially Italian before delving into the complex analytical study of Latin (and Greek too), but till that point they basically knew, both in Latin and Greek, indicatives of all the basic tenses, declensions, and were able to read simple adapted texts, and get a gist of simpler original texts, so in 3rd-4th grade when we "started" grammar (first Latin, then we added Greek) it wasn't really starting either, it was more of a continuation.

They're 11 and 12 now and, in my eyes, three modern languages and two classical ones (or even three classical ones, if you keep in mind that they work with the Biblical text too, though we never specifically taught them Biblical Hebrew) are a pretty decent background so I won't insist on anything more - I'd prefer the quality to the quantity, so now we are focusing on making them trilingual (they're only bilingual so far, with a decent knowledge of Hebrew, but they can't be told trilingual yet as they lack the age-appropriate academic competence in Hebrew) and learning classics really well. :)

They both have an interest in languages, though, especially the older one (who wants to learn French, that's her newest fit :D), so I guess they'll learn an additional language or two during or after their schooling.

I would have picked both Spanish and Latin but I could only choose one on the poll. We started Spanish at the end of first grade and will start Latin in 4th. My kids can also study any other languages they are interested in. My son, who was adopted from another country, has forgotten his first language and wants to study it some day.

Tara

I have exposed my kids informally to Spanish since birth. We have a few Spanish videos, some cd's, and books that I read to them. I also try to speak to them in Spanish sometimes, but my Spanish is pretty rusty. I answer questions when they ask what a word is in Spanish and look it up if I don't know. I took Spanish for 4 years in high school and one semester in college, so that is why I've chosen to start here. I'll probably start teaching Spanish more formally in dd's K or first grade year. I'm looking at La Clase Divertida and El Espanol Facil, the junior level.

The other language that I plan to teach my kids is Latin, for pretty much all of the reasons outlined in the WTM and because we are Catholic and there are many songs, prayers, and documents in Latin. We do sing Latin hymns and mass parts in our church sometimes.

I'd love to do more languages, but the reality is that unless one of the kids really, really wants to do another one we won't.

I'll be starting French with my dd7 and my ds4 this year using The Easy French Jr. I learned some French as a child - I'm a Canadian and some French was required or at least greatly encouraged. :) I'm looking forward to reveiwing it and learning more with my kids. I was going to start with Spanish, as we are now living in the US, but was intrigued by this article:

http://www.theeasyfrench.com/cm9.htm and decided to try French first, and then add Spanish later (God-willing:001_smile:).

We are trying to decide between Japanese and Arabic. Japanese because it is what I learned when I grew up (military living overseas) and because it is quite useful in technical fields as an adult. Arabic because it is a VERY highly sought out skill in the Department of Defense, which is something we value highly in our home.

We live in West Africa, and French is the trade language where we are, so my dc are learning it. The two oldest (6th and 3rd) are using Learnables plus informal learning experiences, the younger ones are picking it up informally (mainly greetings, but a few other things) but will do the Learnables program when they get older.

They're also learning one of the African languages spoken here.

I want them to learn Latin, but that will have to wait until later.

For modern languages, I personally pick one that meets one or more of the following criteria:

1) Lots of people in the area speak it.

2) A parent speaks it.

3) Close relatives speak it.

4) The child has a deep interest in that specific language.

Blessings,

Laura

They're also learning one of the African languages spoken here.

Blessings,

Laura

Which one?

I voted "other" because Auslan is my children's second language, but they are learning simultaneously along with English, though their English is much stronger. I could have voted for Latin, since I intend to start with School Song Latin in K. Auslan isn't a foreign language, to me anyway ;)

Rosie

I voted "other". We've been teaching Arabic since birth. Partly because of religious reasons, also it's the only language other than English that both dh and I have any degree of fluency in. It is also grammar intensive, so I think it's a good language to learn to reinforce grammar concepts in general.

• 2 weeks later...
Which language(s) will you be teaching your child other than English? And what age will you start them at for each?

We are starting Latin this year for my ds's second grade. We live in Kansas so Spanish would be extremely helpful too. But learning Latin can make it easier to learn other foreign languages...and they can use Rosetta Stone later if they want to learn it. My husband is fluent in Spanish and I know a lot too...so when the time comes we can work with them on it. But for now, I feel learning Latin is much more important to us.

Latin at age six

Greek at age eight

I'm still trying to figure out how to fit Spanish in there. They get some of it casually since most of my mom's family speaks it at home. If they weren't picking up a good accent from Grammy I'd probably be putting on Muzzy videos or something else completely informal. What I'm hoping is that when they're in junior high we'll do some formal Spanish, and when they're in high school I'll send them to Colombia to visit my stepfather's farm. I really just want them to be able to talk to all the Spanish speaking people in the U.S., or, rather, understand them. I consider it a practical, life skill, like learning to cook or do their taxes.

My entire family speaks French, but my mom never taught my brother and I. I have always been upset with her for not teaching us. She was a single mother and worked 2 jobs all of our lives so she really did not have time. So now I plan on learning along with them.:)

My son is already learning some japanese with his dad. I can teach them russian, and either one of us could do german. Or, he can go talk to his aunts and uncles, who know french, spanish, arabic, moroccan, indonesian, and I have no idea what else. :D

Though last year he said he wanted to learn Lakota, and I so tried to do that, but it's really hard since I don't know it, and you can't really find an instructor so easily! But we have a few books on it now. hehe