Menu

Do/Will you teach Latin?

elfinbaby

Do/Will you teach Latin?  

1. 1. Do/Will you teach Latin?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

we are going to try French this year and see how that goes... my hope is that we will do 1 - 2 years of French, then add in Latin... I never have taken either language so I really don't have any clue as to how this will turn out!

Pie

We have tried, but it never seems to happen.

Latin and science were always last on my list. Children are now taking science once a week with an amazing teacher and everyone is so happy :-)

Latin is probably not going to happen unless I can find a good outside source.

Definitely doing Latin. We're a Latin-centered curriculum kind of family, and start the day with math and Latin.

My ds13, starting 8th grade, will continue in Latin Book One (a 1930s textbook); we've been working through this for 1 1/2 years now. My ds9, starting 4th grade, will get back to Latin with Latin Prep I / So You Really Want to Learn Latin (can't figure out the real title from all that's on the cover, LOL!). In second grade he did Prima Latina and then Minimus; last year we never really did much but play with the Latin from PL and Minimus. Onward!

I do not think we will. My major in college was Spanish, and that has helped me figure out many other non-Spanish words, so I'd rather spend time getting fluent in languages my daughter will actually use. I'd love her to learn at least 2-3 foreign languages she can use.

I have to teach my DH some business Spanish this week in fact.

I waited to start teaching oldest dd Latin until she was in 5th grade and by then it was too late. She was highly resistant to it and said she didn't see the point of it all. I'm starting my 3rd grader with it and she doesn't fuss at all. In fact, she asks to do it first.

Definitely doing Latin. We're a Latin-centered curriculum kind of family, and start the day with math and Latin.

:iagree: Ds8 began Latin 2 years ago and dd6 will be starting this fall. Ds8 will begin learning the Greek alphabet this fall and start Greek itself probably after Christmas.

I decided to do Latin with the kiddos because I took Latin myself in high school and I think I scored well on the Verbal section of the SAT because of the Latin I had. I read widely as a teen, but most of the unfamiliar vocabulary I ran across on the SAT I ended up deducing from roots. I know one can just study roots, but I really think the Latin language study helped me. Of course, I took the SAT before all the changes. I don't even know if it is structured the same way anymore. I heard in my psych testing class in college that the test was renormed in 1995 or 1996? And now I hear there is a writing section of some kind. I guess I need to research it a bit more before my kids get there.

Plus, I just LIKE Latin.

My plan - for now - is to do Latin till third grade, just to get some of the basics down, and then let it be up to my DS whether we continue or not. Whether he continues with Latin or not, he'll be working on a modern spoken language beginning in third or fourth grade.

Yup. This will be our third year doing Latin. Also primarily using LCC even though I plan to afterschool this year. My oldest child has gone through Prima Latina, LCI and 3/4 of LCII. This year I'm starting her and my next one on CLAA's Grammar I. One of our big accomplishments this year was that everyone (but the 3yo) finally memorized the Pater Noster! Woo hoo! We love Latin.

We used Song School Latin in 2nd Grade, LFC A in 3rd grade and will be going on to LFC B this fall (we will be using Cambridge Latin Course level 1 book for additional reading).

I definitely think learning Latin is time well spent. I am already seeing how it increases ones vocabulary.

Amy

I taught it (I say "taught" loosely, as I was learning at the same time :)) for about two years, and now my dd is heading into her 2nd year of an online course, with plans to take a third year, too, Younger dd isn't interested in Latin but is chomping at the bit to do Greek, so that's what I'll do with her. I will also give her some experience with Latin roots, even if she doesn't take full-blown Latin at any point.

We're doing Minimus: Starting Out in Latin this year. It's for 7-10 year-olds. We've played around with it for the past year and my son (10) loves it. This year we'll begin it formally. There's a CD I like for pronunciation (classical).

We've been doing Spanish (Rosetta Stone Home School Edition) for a year. He already understands Spanish -- we're using it to help him with vocabulary and pronounciation.

Edited by tdeveson

We're trying a partial LCC approach this year and starting with Song School Latin, then maybe Prima Latina for the grammar aspect (waiting on formal English grammar til 3rd/4th). I just finished The Great Latin Adventure Level 1 myself as I don't know Latin. Loved it! Can't wait to order Level 2. I think I'll move on to Wheelock's after that. I'll have the kids do GLA starting in 4th, and then decide if they're ready for slow Wheelock's or will need something else in between.

That's the plan at least! ;)

The boys will start Latin in January; Dot may start Sept '10 or I may hold off until 3rd grade (Sept 2011.) For now, the boys will begin German in Sept and we will do oral French with Dot. In January the boys will begin Latin, Dot will begin written French and oral Spanish.

I tend to like to teach things that are "mastery" oriented. Math, Latin, Violin. I drop the ball more on the stuff when I have to decide what to include and what to ignore. So latin is pretty rewarding for me to teach. We did LC I and LC II and then in 5th grade did Henle Units I and II and structured by Memorial Press.

I voted I don't know. We've been studying Latin & Greek roots for the past year and will continue for at least another year or two. We'll be starting Spanish this year and maybe somewhere down the road we'll try Latin. I'm not convinced we need to delve all the way in, and for now are content to wade in the shallows. ;)

This will be our first year. We are using Lating for Children Primer A. I bought enough materials for my DD and I to do it together. I also bought song school latin for my 2nd and K'er.

I'm setting up our day in a LCC framework, so math/latin/recitation will be at the top of our list, so hopefully it will get the attention it deserves.

Although I would love to have my dds study Latin, I think it's going to be just Latin roots for us. I teach them French, as I know it and am comfortable teaching/speaking it, and I do not know Latin. My dds also take a fun Spanish class once a week in a coop. I'm not sure if they will continue the Spanish, but for now, 2 additional languages are enough. (They are 7 and 6.) If an opportunity opens up for Latin in a coop, we would jump on it. So I voted "I don't know."

This is a first year in Latin. We'll be using LC I and the Roots of English. I'm really excited! The poll says a majority here will/do teach Latin. Do you think that's true of most Classical homeschoolers?

For anyone who has used Henle at the elementary level - how did that go? The Henle books have a rep of being really tough. It sounds like they may be doable for younger grades.

April

Last year we went through Minimus. This year, I'm using Wheelock's for myself (taking the Mom's Latin Class offered at Beth's Bookshop), and teaching my son with the Big Book of Lively Latin. We will definitely move on to BBLL2 when we finish. After that, I don't know what we'll use, but we'll definitely continue our study of Latin. We will also add in Greek at that point. Spanish is being learned in an informal way by playing with the neighborhood kids (and hubby is trying to remember to talk to him in Spanish more and more.)

Ds has a long list of languages he'd like to learn, so we'll see what we move on to when he has a couple of years of Greek under his belt...probably Arabic and/or Persian, since our scriptures are originally written in those languages.

We're doing a mostly-LCC approach. I eased us into Latin last year (3rd grade) because I wasn't sure if my dd was ready. This year, we'll be devoting a bigger part of our day to Latin (30-45 minutes compared to 15 minutes last year), following the recommendations for 4th grade in LCC. We're using Latin Prep from Galore Park, and dd loves it.

Yes, I taught (and learned) Latin with my ds in 5th grade. We did everything that Memoria Press offered including the Henle Latin. Then he finished the 1st 1/2 of Wheelock's on his own mostly in 8th grade. At that point, I asked him to choose what foreign language to study in high school. It was between German and Spanish. Spanish was chosen, and he was thrilled when he discovered how easy it was after Latin.

We visited Spain and Portugal during his 8th grade year, and I was amazed at how much I understood just from the Latin we had studied together.

I will start my 4th grader on Latina Christiana this year and go through a few years of it with her before getting serious about Spanish in 7th/8th grade

ReneeR