Menu

Anybody here NOT like MUS?

DB in NJ

I'm considering using it for my niece and nephew this fall, but I'm not 100% convinced yet. I tried it once, EONS ago, when my now 18 yo college student was in first grade :D

I always see good things about it. Anybody have a not-so-good experience? Tell me ALL about it, please :)

Thanks!

btw, both niece & nephew have special needs. Not sure what they are yet; learning evals are scheduled for next week.

This is copied from my review in this thread:

Here are some of the negatives I've heard over the years: (1) It has no color, pictures, or games to make it “fun”. That’s true. It’s more of a solid, straightforward approach. (2) The word problems aren't as challenging as they could be. We do supplement with Singapore’s Challenging Word Problems

MUS does get good reviews for special ed, though I have no experience with that.

I didn't like having to watch a video to figure out how to instruct my child. I know when they are older they are to watch it, but mine all are under 10 yrs old, and there are 6 of them. :tongue_smilie: (no twins ;)) Honestly, I just can't sit down to watch how to do something for 30 min uninterupted. I mean at this season in life, I am lucky if I get uninterupted sleep for that long. :lol:

I didn't like having to watch a video to figure out how to instruct my child. I know when they are older they are to watch it, but mine all are under 10 yrs old, and there are 6 of them. :tongue_smilie: (no twins ;)) Honestly, I just can't sit down to watch how to do something for 30 min uninterupted. I mean at this season in life, I am lucky if I get uninterupted sleep for that long. :lol:

I'm confused about this comment. From Alpha on up the video is for the kid to watch (though I watch it with my kids so I know what they are supposed to do) and takes maybe 5 minutes per unit.

The first lesson of each book does go into more description of how to use the MUS program, but I don't think that gets up to 30 minutes either. If you really, really, really didn't want to watch the explanation you could just read it in the teacher's manual. That's one longer video per year (per 30 lessons) that you don't have to watch if you prefer to read.

we previewed it. (visited a friend who used it, and did the lesson with her kids). my kids disliked it on sight. they didn't like the teacher. they didn't like the format. they didn't like the slow pace. they really liked their friends and really wanted to like it, but didn't. they were so very glad to be able to go back to singapore. they had been complaining, but that stopped - quickly!

so if you have a chance for your kids to watch it, before spending money, that might be a path towards a decision...

I'm kinda 50/50 with Math U See. I started a thread about it somewhere not too long ago but I'm not sure how to link to it.

• I don't like the lack of color, but my kids don't seem to mind; they do like the colorful blocks. :)
  • My kids don't like the video, but they get through it okay.
  • I don't like it that it seems for one of my children he goes too fast and I have to re-teach, but then I would have to teach the concept with other curricula, so I guess that isn't so bad.
  • The word problems are not very challenging, but provide enough practice for real life situations so it's okay.

I don't love it, but I finally realized that I wouldn't *love* any math curricula that involved me as the teacher, so there you go.

That having been said, I was totally in SHOCK that my DD, after crying through math for several grades, said at the end of this past school year with MUS that math was her best subject. :w00t: I about fell out in the floor. ("You're b-b-b-est subject, Sweetheart?")

I AM switching to Teaching Textbooks for her this year because there was still just too much sweat and tears being shed around the math table for my liking, and my son may be begging to do this as well because he took one look at the sample and thought it was a game and wanted to know when he could play it. :lol:

My little one is starting with MUS primer in a few weeks. My rationale in buying it was finally that, well it's familiar and it IS a solid math curriculum, which is enough for this math-a-phobe mama. PLUS, if he doesn't totally hate it, I already have Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta which helps the budget immensely. I think it may even go much much better with a child who hasn't already developed math anxiety and we can actually just DO the math and move on.

PLUS, it seemed that any other curriculum I looked at involved several different resources and learning their method for teaching and I just reaaaallly didn't want to sink any more $$ than I had to, or spend any more quality time with numbers than I absolutely had to. :tongue_smilie:

We didn't like it. My kids like to work independently and anytime they had a question, they couldn't just look at the page for a reminder of how to do something. They had to either find me or go back and find what they needed on the video.

MUS did not work for my dd. She didn't like the black and white pages. She didn't like working with the blocks. I thought she would enjoy that part, but she groaned every time I brought them out. The mastery approach does not work for her because she got so bored doing the same type of problem over and over again. We switched to a spiral program and that works so much better for her because she gets a variety of problems each day.

we couldn't stand it. we are a math family and couldn't stand having to look at a video, we found some of their ways of doing math very strange, like large multiplications. and lastly we couldn't stand how they split the math up to one year of addition one year of subtraction etc. we especially hated the one year of fractions.

I am thinking that unfortunately, math is SO individual. I did Abeka first and it ended up being all wrong for my dd. I thought it would be perfect, but it moved too fast and didn't explain things in a way that she understood them. I didn't want to spend the $$ on MUS and thought the blocks and video would be a hassle, but at a friend's suggestion I tried it and we haven't had a bad math day since. We love the blocks and explanations in the video. It is a huge Godsend for us, but something else may be a huge Godsend for you. It is very hard to tell until you try something.

I like it and dislike it at the same time. We seem to do well with Alpha and Beta. As pp said, I don't really like the way it teaches some things starting in Gamma. And then when you get to the end of Delta and you have week after week of long division - well, that's when my oldest ds said no more MUS, LOL. I considered switching everyone to something else, but honestly I have yet to find something else I really like. So, my youngers are still in MUS and I plan to be more pro-active about how to teach certain things when they get to Gamma (but they *do* like to watch the video). My oldest finished his Delta year with Aleks (online), and we've been playing around with Singapore over the summer, but I'm not 100% convinced it's what I want for him either.

I didn't like having to watch a video to figure out how to instruct my child.

I'm confused about this comment. From Alpha on up the video is for the kid to watch (though I watch it with my kids so I know what they are supposed to do) and takes maybe 5 minutes per unit.

Wow! It is my understanding that the parent is supposed to watch the video then present the lesson to the student. I did that for a few years, but eventually just started reading the TM and presenting the lesson to ds. The TM has the same information.

To quote the Algebra 1 TM:

Step 1. Prepare for the Lesson

As the teacher, watch the DVD/video to learn the concept yourself, and see how to demonstrate the concept with the manipulatives. Also, read and study the examples in the TM, along with the written explanations. The video and the TM are designed to easily familiarize you with the new material. They are your multi-sensory educational tools. The older and more mature the student, the more useful the video and TM will be for them as well. We recognize that some students at this level do very well on their own.

I always presented the lesson to ds. The only time he ever watched the video was when I didn't explain it well enough (not often). It never took me more than 15min per week to prepare for the lesson. But, then I have a degree in math.

I hope I am not speaking out of turn here... I have not taught it for my child but, my best friend irl used it for 3 yrs before switching to TT and I oversaw a few sessions. They liked the hands on part fairly well and she liked being more hands off with the teaching video, however, his standerdised test scores (required in VA, I don't know about other places) were lower in math because of the schedule that mus teaches. For instance instead of the basics in add, sub, mult... it teaches everything addition and then everything sub. If I am making sense, I hope you know what I mean. So, if you have to test in your state, the tests might not match up to the same schedule.

Wow! It is my understanding that the parent is supposed to watch the video then present the lesson to the student. I did that for a few years, but eventually just started reading the TM and presenting the lesson to ds. The TM has the same information.

To quote the Algebra 1 TM:

I always presented the lesson to ds. The only time he ever watched the video was when I didn't explain it well enough (not often). It never took me more than 15min per week to prepare for the lesson. But, then I have a degree in math.

It's my understanding that the program was originally formulated to be that way (parent watching the video and then presenting to the student), but that they changed it based on parent feedback. The video is now directed specifically FOR the student, though they expect that the parent is watching as well. My kids have always watched the video together with me. It takes just a couple minutes, and then they get to work. I do not prep ahead of time.

Occasionally a kid might need the concept re-explained a day or two later. In that case we either watch the video again, or I might explain it myself, or on occasion dd reads the teacher's manual. It's never been a big deal in terms of time or effort.

I like the blocks and the way they teach place value. We used it for K and started using it for 1st grade.

But, it stopped working well for my daughter in 1st grade. We switched to Singapore and she's learning math to a much deeper level now and really understanding the principles behind it. We did Flashmaster for extra fact practice but since I've purchased RS math games will probably use those instead now, they're much more fun.

I looked at MUS when we were first starting out. The things I knew wouldn't work for us were the videos and the manipulatives. My kiddos would have never related to the video. They like to read their instructions and quickly dive right in. We've tried manipulatives because I thought that was what I should do but the kids didn't like that either. I realized that they didn't need the visual/hands on emphasis of MUS type approaches. Mine do better with A Beka or Saxon type curriculum.

I like MUS. It's easy for my kids to move at their own pace without accidentally skipping anything vital. They fly through some lessons, just taking the test. With others, they may need every worksheet.

One person here mentioned that students who take standardized tests can get low scores because of the order in which MUS covers things. I was concerned about this from the beginning, because I knew full well that the ITBS questions in math are chosen on the premise the child is being taught from a spiral curriculum. I addressed this by spending a few hours covering the extremely easy extra material that fluffs up a typical modern spiral curriculum. It's not difficult stuff, but it does need to be covered if you don't want nasty surprises come ITBS time.

This was made simple by using the "Scoring High" workbooks a few weeks before the ITBS. They really take the stress out of standardized testing. By purchasing these workbooks far in advance, I know exactly what to review or supplement in order for the kids to have a good testing experience.

It's my understanding that the program was originally formulated to be that way (parent watching the video and then presenting to the student), but that they changed it based on parent feedback. The video is now directed specifically FOR the student, though they expect that the parent is watching as well. My kids have always watched the video together with me. It takes just a couple minutes, and then they get to work. I do not prep ahead of time.

No it hasn't changed. I just bought a set of the newest materials and the directions still say for the parents to read the teachers guide, watch the video and present to your child. The videos are NOT child directed which is why some kids don't like them. It is a video of Steve Demme teaching a class demonstrating the teaching technique. He is funny and entertaining and a lot of kids like him. The videos are usually just 2-5 min. Not all of the material is covered in the video and parents who just have their kids watch the video and don't read the teacher's guide for the rest of the information are doing the kids a disservice, but it is common. The MUS people realize many people have the kids watch the videos, but they don't sell them separately from the teacher's guide specifically because they don't want people to use them as the only source of instruction (and say so in their parent intro).

My personal opinion is that MUS done the way it is intended is an excellent program. People who have problems with it, often aren't using it as intended. It is a program intended to be parent taught and speeded up or slowed to the child's pace and many people sit their kids in front of the TV (some kids do like these & thats fine) and/or insist on going through every page and then complain. That said, no curriculum fits everyone and for some it just doesn't work!

As with any subject, there are several very good choices out there. MUS is one of them. The real question is, does it fit the teacher and learner? If you are unsure of what fits your niece and nephew, I suggest reading Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Pick's for Homeschool Curriculum: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cathy+duffy%27s+100+top+picks+for+homeschool+curriculum&x=0&y=0&sprefix=cathy+duffy

I let DS watch the DVD and get on with his lesson. If he has any trouble at all I dig out the TM and sit down with him and nut it out. We are 2/3 through Delta right now and I'm finding we are using the DVD less and less and I'm teaching more and more which is absolutely fine. As we go on I think I will be doing more prep in terms of reading the TM and watching the DVD before sitting with C and working through it together.

I bought it used after thinking for the longest time that it would be perfect for us. *sigh*

The blocks were a huge hit but that was it. I find TM's hard to deal with if they're much more then scripted lessons (love the TM for Winston Grammar for instance but floundered with CW Aesop). The videos lessons were great for my daughter but not my son and the fact that I bought used VHS tapes made them a lot more cumbersome.

It's no doubt just personal preference. I find it easier for instance to struggle through understanding a new concept in Singapore with my daughter then wade through a TM to understand it before I help the kids with something. Learning through the act is easier then reading about how to do the act before hand.

Things I like about MUS:

clear instruction

nice use of manipulatives

easy to match the child's pace

videos are helpful

in the end they have an excellent foundation in arithmetic

Things that aren't so good about MUS:

children with motor planning problems may become frustrated by the blocks

children who think more abstractly may become frustrated by the blocks

overuse of the blocks (sometimes it's helpful to use other types of manipulatives)

doing one topic all year can get pretty boring

it doesn't follow the standard scope and sequence *at all* so standardized test scores will likely be low (at least in the first several grades)

it's expensive

I love MUS. My oldest son has loved it from the beginning. My youngest son loved it as first but then began to ask for something different. I think this is because I didn't start my oldest son until he was in 2nd grade. He started with Alpha. I started my youngest in K with Primer. In our case, I think my younger son began to ask for something different primarily because he wanted more color, some games and more active learning. I think that is because he was just younger and wanted something more playful. I think if I had waited and started him when he was a bit older, he would have continued to like it.

I hope to eventually get my younger son back into MUS, even if it's just a supplement to something else.

my son and I didnt' like it. The manipulative blocks appealed to me. But after using another curriculum for so long (Horizons - a spiral approach), MUS was too "different" for us. I found his approach difficult. And so many lessons of just multiplication alone was boring for my son. I sold it to someone else. I also couldn't afford to purchase the blocks.

I know a lot of people who like it.

Try to borrow a friend's copy and "try before you buy".

I think MUS is a great curriculum if you stick with it from beginning to end. My kids enjoyed it and learned from it, but also wanted more variety.

Their scope and sequence is also different than most math curriculums. I was concerned about standardized testing and with my son wanting to do more varied topics, we switched. We lost some ground switching, but it's been worth it.

Gayle

I liked Alpha and Beta. Loved Gamma - my middle son learned his multiplication tables so easily from this one. Delta was fine. Strongly disliked Epsilon...did not get how he taught fractions. I mean I was able to get it, but thought it was pretty convoluted. Zeta was fine also.

MUS is great for so many kids, but like everything else it's not for everyone. We used it for supplement, though, not as our main program. It was pretty good for that. I would not have used it as the main.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting how many have written that they didn't like it. But if you search the forum you will find just as many who love it!

My oldest started with the oldest edition of MUS, then got stuck at subtraction (in the Foundations book), so we continuted anyway with counting on fingers (horror!), finally we switched to Saxon, which went slowly but well...until we got to fractions. Saxons' incremental approach just threw him for a loop because there wasn't enough practice on a new concept. Then we tried Abeka, but it moved way too fast.

We revisited MUS (by now 2nd edition) and haven't looked back. I'll try to address previous comments:

Strange ways of teaching concepts: Yes, agree, initially. For instance, rule of 4 in fractions. Some of the ways Demme teaches are not standard, but work well as a beginning step. If you stick with it you will find that later in the book the method evolves to the more standard one you are accustomed to. Ex. Rule of 4 always works, there may be alot of reducing needed, but if a kids can't wrap his head around multiples quickly as least rule of 4 will get him there (using multiples comes up later)

Videos It takes all of 3-5 minutes to watch the lesson. Sometimes I watch it with and mostly I don't. I do read through the teach manual. Oh, you can read the manual first (one page, not scripted), then teach the lesson and not use the video.

Pacing: The first 2 or 3 workpages cover the new topic, the next 3 are the new topic mixed with review, so it spirals like Saxon....only there is more practice on new topics! If this is too much practice, skip some pages. You don't need to do them all. There is a test for each lesson. My friend's very mathy kid skips the video, they go over the lesson. He does one worksheet then takes the test. My slower son occasionally needs more practice so I print out the extra practice found on the website.

Blocks: Definately helpful for the lower grades. If you have them for the upper grades, they are worth digging out, but we don't use them much (we are in Pre-Algebra)....maybe one day out of 3 months. Previously mentioned friend doesn't even own them.

Subject Books: We didn't do the multiplication and division books and I can see where some kids might get bored. But the rationale behind this really makes sense. I'd move ahead if my kid got it and I wouldn't do every page. Also, I'd mix it up with some math activities and games. Oh, these books aren't meant to do one a year. You move through them as you are ready, so you may end up finishing one and starting another mid-year.

Word Problems: I actually find the word problems stronger in MUS than in Saxon. My youngest is doing Saxon just fine (7/6), so it would be hard to switch him, but I don't feel he is getting as many word problems as he would with MUS. And I've heard that there are even more word problems in the newest edition of MUS.

Presentation: MUS just came out with a new edition this spring. The student book is hard cover and is printed in color. There is room under each problem to work the problem. More word problems (at least in upper grades) and the "honors" section that used to be seperate for high school is now just included in the book.

Hope this helps.

I'm considering using it for my niece and nephew this fall, but I'm not 100% convinced yet. I tried it once, EONS ago, when my now 18 yo college student was in first grade :D

I always see good things about it. Anybody have a not-so-good experience? Tell me ALL about it, please :)

Thanks!

btw, both niece & nephew have special needs. Not sure what they are yet; learning evals are scheduled for next week.

MUS's high school texts are weak compared to standard school texts. IFor example, if you compare MUS's alg to Foerster's alg, you will find a huge gap in complexity of problems that students are expected to be able to achieve.

The funny thing is that the high schools are getting the kids through advanced math concepts, yet they are put back in non-credit basic math courses in college.

I just visited with an instructor from a local college who said she is amazed that they get valedictorian's coming in who can not do math or write well.

http://www.act.org/research/policymakers/pdf/crs.pdf

In the College Board's words:

• While high school teachers felt it was more important to expose students to more advanced topics, college instructors felt it was more important for entering college students to have a rigorous understanding of fundamental math processes and skills.
  • High school students that take at least Algebra II are gaining the math skills college instructors feel they need to be successful in college math.

http://www.centerforpubliceducation.org/site/apps/nlnet/content3.aspx?c=lvIXIiN0JwE&b=5112895&content_id=%7BCB1326E5-C032-427A-B2D3-E3F4018B910F%7D&notoc=1

I, too, was concerned about the people here who claim MUS isn't equivelent to other programs, but after researching this, I think we'll aim for solid understanding and foundations instead of a course entry on the transcipt.

This is very interesting - I have three children currently using MUS all from different angles. My first child is hooked on the dvd and manipulatives. My second child watches the dvd clips when necessary and never uses the manipulatives. My third child watches the dvd more consistantly and has never used the manipulatives. I have only used the dvd to confirm higher level learning (fractions on up) ways of teaching using this method. Mine have never complained about the black and white pages having all come out of Abeka at some point. No problems here as far as meeting testing requirements - even the one with a learning disability has been able to keep up using this program. I have also been able to go back and find necessary examples in previous pages to clarify the method being used. HTH

T

My DS with severe autism is using MUS and loving it. He loves watching the "math guy". Because the video can actually keep him engaged, I let him watch that first. Then I try to fill with the TM info. The key for him is the incremental mastery approach they use. He's actually learning and retaining the info. He's also able to apply it elsewhere. But that's because he needs the redundancy to learn. I used to focus on him just learning the four basic math functions before he graduated, but with MUS I see the potential for going much, much further.

As far as the materials, the plain black and white pages are a plus for us. He can focus on the problem instead of being distracted by irrelevant pictures all around the page. And he loves the blocks. He needs hands on and a visual representation to really "get" what he is supposed to be doing. Of course lots of programs use manipulatives that could accomplish this.

My other DS (they're twins) loves MUS right now because we supplement 1 day a week and he does an entire lesson. If he had to do it everyday, he'd probably hate math. I think you need to decide if the kids would be better served with a spiral program or mastery program and go from there.

I, too, was concerned about the people here who claim MUS isn't equivelent to other programs, but after researching this, I think we'll aim for solid understanding and foundations instead of a course entry on the transcipt.

I don't believe it has to be an either/or situation, especially when you are in control of the rate of progression. I actually use MUS's alg as pre-alg and follow it up with Foerster. (yes, there is that much difference in the level of difficulty) When you are the teacher, simply don't progress to the next concept until the material is mastered.

Simplifying content does not improve foundation. It isn't that the progression through the material is more rapid in Foerster; it is simply that the material itself is more thorough, more in depth, more challenging.

FWIW.....it is the lack of application which is MUS's biggest weakness. The application problems in MUS replicate the examples (in other words, you don't have to have a firm independent understanding of the material, you simply need to know how to plug numbers in in the same manner as already given.) Foerster requires students to be able to set up their problems and solve in unique situations. If the student does not understand what they are doing, they will not be able to complete the problems.

I suspect that the reason most ps students end up in remedial math in college is b/c teachers in schools teach "arithmetic" based upper level math (factoring polynomials, using the quadratic formula, etc) without giving students challenging word problems that make them understand the process behind what they are doing.

It is similar to difference between basic geometry and proof-based geometry.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

FWIW.....it is the lack of application which is MUS's biggest weakness. The application problems in MUS replicate the examples (in other words, you don't have to have a firm independent understanding of the material, you simply need to know how to plug numbers in in the same manner as already given.) Foerster requires students to be able to set up their problems and solve in unique situations. If the student does not understand what they are doing, they will not be able to complete the problems.

I suspect that the reason most ps students end up in remedial math in college is b/c teachers in schools teach "arithmetic" based upper level math (factoring polynomials, using the quadratic formula, etc) without giving students challenging word problems that make them understand the process behind what they are doing.

As a person who struggled with math all through school, I have to point something out about this. This approach of "replicating examples" is how I was able to achieve 7 straight semesters of As and 1 B in algebra and then go on to apply it. I think for those who are not born gifted with a math talent need this crucial step to form a firm foundation before moving on. THEN they can go on to learning how to apply it. You don't just teach addition tables and then start teaching how to do multiple-column addition problems the following week. You make them master the facts before moving on to the details.

. You don't just teach addition tables and then start teaching how to do multiple-column addition problems the following week. You make them master the facts before moving on to the details.

That isn't quite the same as teaching children how to add single digits and then working through word problems that use single digit addition. Does it make sense to teach through multiple digit multiplication and then go back and teach simple addition application?

I'm only referencing their high school math program. Their sequence does not go back later and work on more difficult application. Therefore, my assumption is that it would be expected that they work through their entire high school math sequence and only become exposed to more difficult application in college by repeating the courses? I'm not sure where else the exposure to the application comes from?

Plugging and chugging through replication problems can create a false sense of comprehension/evaluation vs. really understanding what you are doing. Replicating a certain number of problems is appropriate to build a sense of what you are doing. However, if that is the only application level of difficulty ever achieved and students cannot solve problems that require unique steps, have they actually learned how to use alg? I guess that is essence of the discussion. Is the goal of the math program to expose them to the concept or enable them to use it outside of the textbook.

MUS wasn't a choice for our children because they don't like manipulatives. At a young age they were able to visualize the math concepts in their heads. If you have a child who enjoys manipulatives and/or needs them to understand math concepts, MUS may be a good option.

It's difficult to find the "perfect" math curriculum. Last year I switched my younger two to TT and they didn't like it at all. I thought it looked great and was ready for a bit the help of an interactive CDrom. It looked so fun, but they didn't like it and have asked to switch back to Abeka. Who knew!!

HTHs

Heather

Even though we use it and there are many things I like about it, here are the things I dont like about it (we use 2 math programs, though, and this one is the secondary one):

I hate the way he also shows kids to multiply like this:

10 + 9

x 20 + 4

This totally confuses my dc. fwiw, he teaches the normal way, too.

I don't like the way he teaches dividing fractions, even though it works. Actually, I love the way he shows it with his manipulatives and think that that part is brilliant, but I prefer the invert and multiply way (but teaching the dc why that works.)

The word problems are not nearly as good as those of Singapore Math, CWP or MEP.

OTOH, I love the way he teaches place value, and he totally and pleasantly convinced one of my strong willed dd's of the benefit of regrouping in addition, subtraction, etc. Some things are just plain brilliant about the program, and I think that for some dc this class is going to be the very thing that gets them seeing and doing math.