Menu

Do any of your dh's have a 2nd job?

If so, what do they do? We're needing ideas of where to look for dh to work pt until we pay off our debt. The faster the better! I know he could go anywhere, but preferably he would like to work somewhere quiet, filing, or doing office work or somewhere like Barnes and Noble. But, please, any ideas are welcomed. It helps to brainstorm. Here are some of our ideas:

Barnes and Noble

Home Depot

pizza delivery (last resort, ala Dave Ramsey!)

grocery stocking at night

(only it would be late and he gets up early for his FT job, but again, a last resort)

Thanks...

There are quite a few people I work with who work there part-time as a second job. I work at a 24 hr wal-mart as an overnight cashier. Overnight in a 24 hr store includes cashier,stocking, and hourly supervisor positions. I also work 2 shifts a week as an overnight accounting associate, but that's one of those jobs that's hard to land coming in to the company from the outside, because it doesn't open up very often.

Of course, the people I know who work 2 jobs get very little sleep.

My dh used to work at Blockbuster in the evenings from about 6:00- 12:00 or 1:00 am. It was quite humbling because people he worked with at his day job (he was in IT) would come in and he would have to scan their videos.

He now is an online instructor for college science courses. It pays much better and he does it at night while we sit on the couch and hang out. He also used to do online tutoring.

I respect your dh for being willing to take on the extra work. So many I know have dhs that won't. It has helped our family so much.

Marie

My dh always has something going on the side. He cleans office buildings at night and loves the solitude. He says its like getting paid to go to the gym. He also does a lot of catering on the weekend. At one time he worked at a camp/retreat center. He was the food service director, but they also used part-timers for house keeping and grounds keeping.

Not sure what you dh's primary job is, but my dh has been able to do some consulting work in his primary profession and has taught some community classes. Lots of possibilities.

HTH

My dh used to work at Blockbuster in the evenings from about 6:00- 12:00 or 1:00 am. It was quite humbling because people he worked with at his day job (he was in IT) would come in and he would have to scan their videos.

He now is an online instructor for college science courses. It pays much better and he does it at night while we sit on the couch and hang out. He also used to do online tutoring.

I respect your dh for being willing to take on the extra work. So many I know have dhs that won't. It has helped our family so much.

Marie

Hi Marie,

I tried to PM but I couldnt get it to go through...

Could you let me know how your dh got started in teaching an online college-level science course?

Thanks!

Kim

He doesn't now, but 15 years ago, when he started his own company, he worked for 3 years delivering pizzas for Dominos at nights and on weekends.

He made pretty good money (I think it averaged out to about $15 an hour, including tips). And he brought home pizza just about every night that he worked if he helped to close (they always have 'pizza errors' ... i.e., someone orders sausage and they accidentally make it with ground beef. They don't throw away the pies; they put them in a warmer and the drivers and other employees can take them home at the end of the night).

Is his trade one that he can do "side jobs" off the clock? This is how my hub supplements our income. He's a mechanic that punches a clock for a local shop during the week, and fixes cars with his buddy on the weekends.

I know of a couple of families who clean office buildings, Dr. offices, etc at night.

Another family I know delivers papers in the wee hours of the morning.

Dh used to work in a Sears warehouse at night, readying deliveries for the next day.

I don't know what kind of practical skills your dh has, but I'd imagine any kind of service skills could be used.

* weekends as a substance abuse tech in an inpatient treatment center for adolescents

* a couple nights a week as a patient representative in a hospital ER

* selling cell phones

* teaching an intro psychology college class one night per week

* job coaching -- working alongside a person with disabilities as they adjusted to a new job environment

One of my SAHM friends used to work Friday and Saturday nights at Olive Garden and made pretty good $$$ in tips those 2 nights when her dh was home with the dc. Another worked early morning hours stocking at Target.

Good luck!

Mine does pizza delivery off and on for quick cash as a 2nd job. He brings home cash and pizza, and then a minimum wage check later on. They are always hiring, and once he has proven himself for a company they let him work only once a week, or whenever he wants to. They all have problems keeping reliable workers and are always thrilled to have him!

Thanks. Any more?

A college professor by day, dh has picked up early AM work baking bagels & such for a local coffee establishment. This has been a KEY part of our Dame Ramsey debt-elimination plan...we are as gazelle-intense as it gets.

We have looked at picking up other restaurant/kitchen work types of job since this is his passion anyway.

He's also added evening tutoring to the schedule whenever possible. The best-paying jobs are via personal referral rather than an agency.

In the summer, he picks up extra work in his specific field, teaching as adjunct faculty at nearby colleges.

For me, I have added occasional tutoring to my docket, plus just recently some as-I'm-able airport limo driving.

We have found that networking and letting people know you are looking for something is THE way to go. Nobody expected that my dh would be seeking additional employment but when we spread the word, the jobs came in, and in this economy no less!

All the best to you!

Mine does pizza delivery off and on for quick cash as a 2nd job. He brings home cash and pizza, and then a minimum wage check later on. They are always hiring, and once he has proven himself for a company they let him work only once a week, or whenever he wants to. They all have problems keeping reliable workers and are always thrilled to have him!

We are in TX. DH applied online for Dominoes. How long did it take your dh to get on? He stopped by the location he applied for, too, but the manager wasn't there. The guy he talked to said the kids that deliver don't want to work on Fri. and Sat. night and those are the best nights. Hope he gets on soon. Ready to be rid of this debt!