Menu

A Happy Thread! What books should EVERYONE read?

Hi! I am tired of all the arguing so I decided to start a happy thread. :D

What books would you consider are must-reads? It can be any genre. If it isn't a well known book, can you please explain why everyone should read it.

This should be fun!!

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my favorite classics.

Night is great for learning about the Holocaust.

I just read Deconstructing Penguins last night. It was great! I read several reviews, and it seems that many people agree that literary analysis is like beating the fun out of a book. I think it makes the book better when you can get to the heart of the story. I've always been one of those people who gets it after someone else explains it to me, but couldn't think of it on my own. Reading this book was like someone turned on a light in my brain, LOL.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Non-Christians should read it because it succinctly explains the "Christian Worldview" (for most mainstream Christians) which will allow them to understand *why* Christians hold certain beliefs. For Christians, it is an excellent tool for clearly defining a Christian worldview/lifestyle - Lewis is a fantastic apologist who can present the argument for/against an issue in a clear, logical manner.

Great thread! I'm going to enjoy the responses.

When I hs'd my oldest through middle school, I had her read a book called Eighth Moon, by Bette Bao Lord. It's a true story about a pre-teen girl in Communist China under Mao, all her struggles and responses to a country in turmoil. It impacted me greatly as a kid, and now my daughter too. It's available on Amazon DIRT cheap.

With a child on your lap:

The Velveteen Rabbit - beautiful metaphor of the power of love

Goodnight Moon - simple sweet rhyme

Guess How Much I Love You - show your child you'll never forsake them

Prayer for a Child - sweet

Beatrix Potter's various books - nice early "life lessons"

Winnie the Pooh - ditto above

Curled up in a comfy chair:

The Bible - obvious but must be stated :)

The Chronicles of Narnia - just wonderful...

A Tale of Two Cities - self sacrifice

Jane Eyre - selfishness/selflessness

LOTR Trilogy - deep beyond words

The Great Gatsby - emptiness of much of modern society

Pride & Prejudice - perfection!

Anne of Green Gables - wonder

1984 - ummm, prophetic?

Tess of the D'Urbevilles - still has me wondering...did he or didn't he?

The Wizard of Oz - happy memories, my first real chapter book

Christy - why do we serve? for self or for others?

The Hiding Place - the true heroism of an average woman

The Road - I LOVE/HATE this book, but have to recommend it for the stark imagery and poetic writing...read with extreme caution or avoid if you are at all sensitive; it haunted me for months

I really loved "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollen.

It's about nutrition, real food, and major food producers in our country and how unhealthy a system it is.

It's very well written, explains things easily and simply and isn't judgemental.

I really loved "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollen.

It's about nutrition, real food, and major food producers in our country and how unhealthy a system it is.

It's very well written, explains things easily and simply and isn't judgemental.

I'm going to reserve that one at the library...looks fascinating from the Amazon description. Thanks.

Give it time:D

Can we argue about what books everyone should read?? ;):lol:

I've been wondering the very same thing...what is GOING on here? It's been downright ugh-uh-lee at times. Newbies, don't judge us too harshly. We really are a nice bunch of people...most of the time

Guest Virginia Dawn

I agree with the Bible, Mere Christianity, The Hiding Place, 1984, Farenheit 541,

also:

Father Brown mysteries by Chesterton (Father Brown is one of the wisest fictional characters I've ever come across)

Animal Farm

Tiger in the Smoke- a mystery by Margery Allingham that has a very thought provoking theological message and a priest similar to Father Brown.

The Count of Monte Christo- because I love this book!

The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov- because I love this book!

Recollections of Joan of Arc- Mark Twain's magnum opus

The Portrait of Dorian Gray- a sobering look at life and consequences

The Importance of Being Earnest- For a good laugh

and isn't judgemental

Sorry, just had to give a little more information... it isn't judgemental of you if you eat unhealthy, it is very judgemental of the food industry here in America. Thought I'd clarify!

Edited by Ariana

a true bibliophile cannot choose...but I have read paddington bear to all 4 dc also the real Winnie the pooh and all of Beatrix Potter's stories ...I found the Great Divorce by CS Lewis gripping it changed my perspective about living. There is this little book called Mountain Born that we all loved at our house. I wasn't a great reader when I was younger so many of the books we read for school I am also discovering...

What books would you consider are must-reads? It can be any genre. If it isn't a well known book, can you please explain why everyone should read it.

This should be fun!!

I'm sorry, but you can't POSSIBLY mandate what books others should read. How could you even ASK such a question? Taste in books is SO subjective, and I would NEVER consider telling anyone what they MUST read! I mean, the Bible? Really? I'm not a even a Christian!!!

:lol: Kidding, of course! I love threads like these. I've been so uninspired by the books I've been picking up lately. It's terribly frustrating.

I'm sorry, but you can't POSSIBLY mandate what books others should read. How could you even ASK such a question? Taste in books is SO subjective, and I would NEVER consider telling anyone what they MUST read! I mean, the Bible? Really? I'm not a even a Christian!!!

:lol: Kidding, of course! I love threads like these. I've been so uninspired by the books I've been picking up lately. It's terribly frustrating.

You turkey!

I am in the mood for good kiddie literature and HAPPY STORIES so my top choices reflect that.

Thomas the Tank Engine by Rev Awdry

Pamela Camel by Bill Peet

And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon by Janet Stevens

The Little House by Virgina Lee Burton

I can't believe I'm the first to say Atlas Shrugged! Yay me!:tongue_smilie:Now, it's some cr@ppy writing ... Rand never figured out that long speeches is NOT the best way to further a story line, but for content it's the BEST.

This should be fun!!

Shew! Hear, here! This is so necessary! I've had a sick kid and now I've got a sore throat and that means I have spent waaaaaayyyyy too much time on threads the last two days.

Well, I think a decent familiarity at least with all the major stories in the Bible, even for the non-Christian, is important. So, the Bible or a bible story book would be one. Also, a collection of Aesop's Fables, so they know what is meant by phrases like "sour grapes". (I have said that phrase around many adults who look blank.)

I think every young child should hear the original Beatrix Potter stories; the language is exquisite.

All older children should read the Chronicles of Narnia and the whole Harry Potter series. Oh, and Charlotte's Web and The Trumpet of the Swan. And A Cricket in Times Square. Love that use of Chinese dialect!

And older-older children should read A Seperate Peace. I loved that book.

My favorite children's book (as a child) was The Tales of Mr. Pengachoosa. I just read one of them to ds for bed tonight. I doubt it is in print anymore, but it is a wonderful collection of fairy tales as told to a girl by her pet hamster. Seriously good storytelling there.

Love these threads. I just don't have time to get into the arguing, I can hear that at home. LOL.

Anyway, glad others suggested The Poisonwood Bible because I forgot I had it on my shelf. I haven't read it yet so I'm going to get it out. I always go through your suggestions with my Library search tab open. Thanks.

A couple I would like to mention: A Thousand Splendid Suns and Kite Runner. Several of the others mentioned are my favorites as well.

But I would be remiss to not mention my favorite besides the Bible, The Well-Trained Mind.

Thanks! We're going to use Around the World in 180 Days to study world geography/history/cultures next year, and I'm planning to use some good novels and nonfiction books as readers and read-alouds. I'll add this to the pile for Asia.

Wendi

Books I'm so glad I shared with my kids:

all the Beatrix Potter stories

the original Pooh stories

Trumpet of the Swan (my favorite EB White book -- I love Louis' dad and the fact that the boy would wonder what words mean, like "crepuscular.)

Rascal by Sterling North -- biographical story of being a 12 year old in rural Wisconsin 1919 and raising a wild racoon...LOVE this book!

Velveteen Rabbit makes my oldest son and me cry every time. I can't handle it when the toys are taken away to be burned and totally lose it when the bunny becomes real.

and the Harry Potter books -- a very special part of our lives

And yet, what should everyone read????

Whatever they enjoy!!

comic books

twaddle

newspapers and magazines

Great Books

best sellers

cozy mysteries

a good bodice ripper historical romance on occasion

The Pushcart War

The Mouse that Roared

Watership Down

Huckleberry Finn

The Disc World series - Terry Pratchett

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

All Creatures Great and Small

Those are a few of our favorites here that I haven't seen mentioned yet. We have also enjoyed several that have already been mentioned.:D

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy O'Toole It is a modern classic brilliant in so many ways , both tragic and hilarious. I mean blow coffee out your nose while reading . If you are from south Louisiana you will miss home. I used this as my litmus test for dating. If they had not read the book no go. It worked for me.BTW he won a Pulitzer .

A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving A wonderful example of allegorical story telling and irony. I wept for days after finishing this book. A fine argument can be made ,that, according to Irving, holiness can be found everywhere .

The Second Coming by Walker Percy A physician and psychiatrist , a devoted Catholic who suffered from severe depression. That covers the author in a nutshell. He was extraordinarily gifted intellectually and used those gifts to help others. Some of the best writing you will ever encounter.

The Poetry of William Butler Yeats- Flawless, lyric and haunting

Links follow for each: http://books.google.com/books?id=WM6OztAsYWQC&dq=confederacy+of+dunces&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=nXhNSrv6MI_KlAfD2KG7BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

http://books.google.com/books?id=jUTJhAVEpN0C&dq=a+prayer+ofor+owen+meany&source=gbs_navlinks_s

http://books.google.com/books?id=7dzuO8fRZvsC&dq=the+second+coming+by+walker+percy&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=PEFZK0VQta&sig=c7CQGnk9rGArw6XmTZyUgNnnagU&hl=en&ei=OXlNSpvpConmlAfr1-mtBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3

Ok I'll pick the fight in this thread. :tongue_smilie: Middlemarch is fun????? That is the most depressing book outside of Dickens!

Oh, I held my breath as I read, sometimes, because the prose was so crisp I just couldn't wait to find out how the sentence ended.

I'll take you both on...it was neither fun nor depressing, to me, and I didn't think this thread was about what we "liked", but what we thought others should read. :)

The Bible

Rejoice Always! by John Gwynn Thomas (This is one my favorite books ever. If you're not a Christian you probably won't care for it too much.)

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (I know, not very classy)

The Little House (A children's picture book. Can't remember the author)

This barely skims the surface. I just LOVE books.

Guest Grimby

Okay, this thread actually prompted me to finally register so that I could post. I've been lurking for weeks now, getting more addicted by the day to all you bickering women! :boxing_smiley:

Children and Adult Literature are both here obviously:

The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

A Little Princess & The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett

Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky (I'm kinda dark and twisty that way)

There Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Little Women, Little Men, Eight Cousins...anything by Louisa May Alcott

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

Jane Austin's entire body of work

Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

The Things they Carried by Tim O'Brien

Little Altars Everywhere & Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

House of Spirits by Isabel Allende

Possessing the Secret of Joy by Alice Walker

Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

....okay, I'll stop...for now.