Menu

I HATE teaching phonics.

Ok. I'm just frustrated...but why can't kids just be born knowing how to read?? My ds7 has finally improved by leaps and bounds but still struggles with fluency. Honestly? I'm just tired of it all. I don't mind math, history, spelling...anything! But phonics is burning me out!!!!!

We are using SSRW and though I loved it...now I hate it. Can I please switch to something not so teacher intensive? Perhaps it's my pregnancy hormones or the fact that I am not liking being pregnant in the summer (read: I'm constantly cranky!).

If I switch...how do I know where to start? I'm tired of spending sooooo much time on phonics!!!

I think I might need to be put in a mental hospital for this!:willy_nilly:

Liz in NC

I had been feeling this way recently also. I blame it on my pregnancy hormones too:tongue_smilie:! My kids were doing fine with our curriculum we were using...but I just needed a break for the summer because it was becoming such a chore everyday and I have been sooo exhausted. So, my kids are finishing up their Headsprout lessons that I had purchased earlier in the year. Many many people have raved over Headsprout. See some reviews here. This program is fairly expensive...but they have a monthly payment plan that makes it very affordable. I definitely recommend sitting with your dc if you choose to use this program. I also keep the words they are learning on a white board so they can practice them a lot...and I put new words on the board using the sound combination that they have learned.

We are also using the Explode the Code series which I LOVE. It is so easy and effective.

Good luck on whatever you choose:)!

Not to sound silly, but there is phonics -- and there is phonics. (or is that a plural, in which case I mean there are phonics -- and there are phonics ??)

Decades ago, in the beginning -- I purchased Horizon's phonics. I dumped it and tried the Mennonite (?) program accompanying the "Pathway Readers'. I dumped it.

I did not subscribe to insisting that my children learn all the phonetic symbols and complicated "stuff" useful to linguists, but irrelevant and distracting to a child learning to read phonetically.

Next stop was Alpha Phonics and Explode the Code. What a fabulous combination ! No muss, no fuss . . . and four readers who always have tested waaaay past their age peers for fluency and comprehension.

I'll have to second Headsprout. We are doing this right now because I was on the verge of a mental breakdown myself with teaching phonics. My daughter caught the concepts but her reading was so slow. I was beginning to feel like I'd rather rip my eyeballs out with my fingers then to hear her read so..slow.

We started with Headsprout a week ago and my daughter's reading has improved and I mean ALOT.

I sit with her during a lesson just in case she has a tough time with something but the computer does all of the teaching, and if they have difficulty with a lesson you can replay it as many times as needed, though its really not necessary because Headsprout really reviews words.

We just follow up with the flashcards( and I like the writing the words on a whiteboard idea too some one mentioned here)and reading the books. My daughter enjoys putting the stickers on the map each time she completes a level. Today she did two lessons just to put on 2 stickers. LOL. But she did get the information she needed so it just wasn't done out of just doing it.

Like the other poster said they have an affordable monthly payment plan so purchasing it shouldn't be an issue. I give Headsprout 2 thumbs up and a smile.

Totally understand. Dd9 had the hardest time ever. Every sound that comes out of her sounds like she was ready to throw up. I finally gave in and let myself resigned to the fact that it will take her a while to get. I made her read, read, and read to me. I would let her read instructions in her math, grammar, science and etc. and before I knew it, without being aware or exactly pinpoint when it happened, she started reading fluently, not quite, but marked improvement. I guess, I didn't let it stop me. I just kept on going even though it was quite painful. She reads a LOT now, on her own, with different kinds of books.

I used alphaphonics, victory drill book, and teach your child to read in 1000 days.

I don't care what program I use...I hate it all.

I so feel your pain. My ds is 7 also and CLOSE, but GOOD HEAVENS. "ON" "THAT" (oh my word if I have to correct him on "that" one more time I may lose my ever-lovin' mind) "BIFF"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:grouphug:

I was ready to poke my eyes and ears out doing a phonics program with my son. He did NOT do well with the "learn this sound, then move on to the next" approach because he would promptly forget the previous sound. The towel was thrown in when he hit "that" and "this." We worked forever on learning "that." He could not learn "that" for some reason. After years and years of struggle (it felt like it, anyway) he finally mastered "that" and we moved on to "this." He promptly forgot "that." ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

In the end, I chucked the phonics program and had my son start using a phonics reader that my dad used when he was in first grade. My son made more progress in a month than he had in the previous 8 months of slogging through a phonics program. Reading real books (regardless of whether a reader counts as a real book or not, in his mind it does) was what he needed. He needs the context. I am not into whole language instruction at all and still insist that my son sound things out, but in 2 months my son went from barely sounding out CVC words to reading Henry and Mudge. Maybe it was just an astonishing developmental leap, but I tend to think it was context + Explode the Code, which is worth its weight in gold around here, regardless of the fact that they don't give kids long enough lines to write on.

Tara

Add me to the list of moms who want to poke their eyes out! My ds, 9, has struggled and struggled and struggled some more. The brain drain from Friday afternoon to Monday morning is sooooo bad that I dread reading on Monday with him. Well, we are finally making progress and he is reading through SL LA 2 Intermediate books but gee, I sure wish he'd just take off on his reading and we could just be friends again. He is definitely my most challenging student. My youngest is working through McRuffy - if I only had it to do over again with the 9 year old - McRuffy would have been my choice.

Ok. I'm just frustrated...but why can't kids just be born knowing how to read?? My ds7 has finally improved by leaps and bounds but still struggles with fluency. Honestly? I'm just tired of it all. I don't mind math, history, spelling...anything! But phonics is burning me out!!!!!

We are using SSRW and though I loved it...now I hate it. Can I please switch to something not so teacher intensive? Perhaps it's my pregnancy hormones or the fact that I am not liking being pregnant in the summer (read: I'm constantly cranky!).

If I switch...how do I know where to start? I'm tired of spending sooooo much time on phonics!!!

Liz in NC

:iagree: I hear you. I keep hoping my youngest dd will teach herself to read :glare: She has not caught onto phonics at all. The only reading she is able to do is sight reading, i.e. Dick and Jane. I wish we could get over this hurdle.

I find phonics drills to be very dry so I haven't really been doing them, but my son also speaks a completely phonetic language, so I am hoping that some things will translate over to English and save me the trouble.

What exactly is Explode the Code? I haven't figured it out yet.

By the way, is it really teach your child to read in 1000 days? (That's three years!)

:iagree: I hear you. I keep hoping my youngest dd will teach herself to read :glare: She has not caught onto phonics at all. The only reading she is able to do is sight reading, i.e. Dick and Jane. I wish we could get over this hurdle.

Where are you in California?

Want to trade for phonics for handwriting?

We'll be moving to Santa Monica at the end of July.

Yep, phonics is by far my hardest struggle. For three years I've been bashing my head into a wall trying to teach my ds to read. He *is* my first, and I've gotten some looks about my ability to homeschool. :glare:

We tried 100 EZ lessons. (BTW, love the joke on 1000 lessons! made me snort)

We tried Hooked on Phonics.

We tried Head Sprout.

We tried Explode the Code.

We tried doing nothing and letting me regain my sanity.

Finally, we are now using ABeCeDarian along with All About Spelling and it's working.

Maybe it's a coincidence and the little light bulb finally turned on in his head, but something is working! He's getting it!

I plan on buying the I See Sam books as well. They are highly recommended but expensive.

For dd5-

We use Explode the Code- just easy phonics work books that progess as you go (letter sounds, then cvc short vowel words, ect..).

Along With ETC we do Phonics Pathways -taking only a few minutes a day. I also let her choose any book she wants to read from our shelves, each day.

It is a very easy and laid back aproach. I tried the harder ways with dd7(went through many phonics programs :blushing:), and she struggles with fluency. Dd5 is very fluent, hardly any hesitation, she has almost caught up to her sister's level. I think it is mainly because, I stopped trying so hard.

Thank you for posting this! I also hate to teach phonics. I get the same sensation as finger nails on the chalk board every time I hear my ds sounding out words.

Thankfully I have a daughter who reads beautifully and I went through the same thing with her too!

I was very frustrated when I brought dd#2 home in 1st grade and tried to teach Abeka phonics. But since I found Spell to Write and Read, phonics has been so simple and straight forward that I can actually be excited about teaching it. It makes so much sense when it isn't cluttered with things a lot of other programs try to include.

This was the worst part of hsing for me. I finally got a tutor for DS8 and he quickly caught up to his grade level. She used Phono-graphix. ABCeDarian is similar but much, much easier to teach. Now, I'm still waiting/teaching/hoping that he speeds up so we don't have to do this anymore.

Get a tutor. My stress level dropped and I enjoyed hsing again.:)

Kelly

We are using and loving McRuffy, but maybe you should switch to AAS. It can be used as a phonics program as well as spelling and won't be as difficult to use.

I second this because it is so easy for the teacher. I can't imagine a program that would be more teacher friendly.

ETA: We love the color version (it's a bit different than the B&W). Here's the site http://www.mcruffy.com/

Edited by muffinmom

MuffinMom, how long have you used McRuffy's? How many levels? Since I plan to go with it for DS, I am trying to gather info. :)

I've only used it for 1st grade (didn't know about it for K). I'll be ordering for 2nd grade because we both like it, it's easy for me, and we've had great results with it (if I ever get around to ordering ANYTHING!!:D)

I found faithfully watching Between the Lions every day and closed captioning helped my son to become a good reader:) Of course, we did the usual tons of reading with me sounding out occasional words. I also used the dvds from Leap Frog on phonics, Rock N Learn Phonics, and Jumpstart Phonics. All of these including Between the Lions can usually be found at your library.:)

Another resource we used was Starfall.com which is a free web-based from soup to nuts phonics program.

I also used Click N Phonics which was fun and interesting.

Explode the code is online and can be purchased from Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

Lastly, I strongly recommend Webster's Speller 1908 edition found on Don Potter's website as well as ElizabethB's phonics lessons/resources for reading. Apparently, the syllabary and spelling books were used to teach reading quite succesfully in the past. ElizabethB and Don Potter have all of this info and are the experts in my opinion:)

Just my 2 cents and please excuse the spelling:)

I get the same sensation as finger nails on the chalk board every time I hear my ds sounding out words.

We're not very far into learning to read yet, but in 100 Easy Lessons, around lesson 35 (about where we are), it starts teaching the child to sound out words in his/her mind. I can really see where this will be beneficial. It reminds me of how RightStart math teaches visualizing math early on.

Before McRuffy's we used 100 EZ Lessons (and yes, sometimes it felt like 1000!). It got the job done and he's a great reader. It helped for us to make a hundred chart to go with the lessons. Each time we did a lesson, he checked off a box. And we had rewards (after 25 lessons, some treat or outing, etc.). It helped us both visualize and keep reaching for the end goal, since it was so far away. It taught him a lesson of if you do a little bit every day, you eventually meet your goal and gain a new skill.

We also loved the Leap Frog DVDs--really taught him a lot.

We're not very far into learning to read yet, but in 100 Easy Lessons, around lesson 35 (about where we are), it starts teaching the child to sound out words in his/her mind. I can really see where this will be beneficial. It reminds me of how RightStart math teaches visualizing math early on.
LOL DD and I clas b/c I make her do it out loud... otherwise I think she is sight resfing, guessing by rhyming, etc.

LOL DD and I clas b/c I make her do it out loud... otherwise I think she is sight resfing, guessing by rhyming, etc.

I do think it's important to try to follow the lessons when they start having her sound it out in her head. I know it could be hard to tell what she's actually doing, but when you're reading fluently, you do just glance at the word and "know" what it is.

Today we had just 1/2 a lesson to finish up, and she was starving and resisting and just not cooperating :glare: , so I finally said, "ok, I'll sound it out [reeeaaally slow], and then you read the words the fast way, without sounding it out." This was a part where she was supposed to sound it out silently and then read the word the fast way. That worked today, and she got to eat. ;)

Isn't it amazing what children will do when they are hungry. Sometimes I wonder if they really are not getting it or resisting because they don't feel like doing it. That is always a tough call. But if you coax them with food or an activity or toy all of a sudden the light bulb works!Hmmm. LOL.

I do think it's important to try to follow the lessons when they start having her sound it out in her head. I know it could be hard to tell what she's actually doing, but when you're reading fluently, you do just glance at the word and "know" what it is.

Wow did you have to quote all of my NAKing typos?? :lol: I had a hard time knowing what I meant.

The problem is when she can read 6 or 7 of the 8 words and then refuses to sound out the word that gives her a problem. I think part of it is perfectionistic tendencies. If she doesn't recognize the word, then she is afraid to say it. I plan to throw in some nonsense words to take care of that. We aren't really doing phonics right now... it is summer! In the fall we will start with How to Teach Spelling. I gave up on finishing OPGTR b/c she is reading way above it anyway (about 5th grade level). Whether she is using phonics to do so is what I question.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

• 2 weeks later...
The Explode the Code books can be done fairly independently. So can Plaid Phonics. Phonics Pathways takes only minutes a day (anywhere from 5 minutes-however long you want to keep going).

I agree, Phonic Pathways is soooo easy. Takes only a few minutes a day. Totally painless.

Love ETC too.

RhondaM.

A laid back combo of Alpha-Phonics, Explode the Code and the Nora Gaydos phonics books get my vote. The Nora Gaydos books come in sets of 10 held in a magnetic case. Each book is accompanied by corresponding stickers the child can place in the book when they have read it independently. (Great motivator) I never read these to my child (As my children can memorize a book word for word). Instead I used them as motivators, because they are VERY simple. They are similar to BOB books, but are in color and silly.

Book 1 of set 1 concentrates on soft a sound

examples

Page 1 A cat

Page 2 A fat cat

Page 3 A tan fat cat

Page 4 A tan fat cat ran.

etc.

I think they are approximately 10 pages long (If I remember correctly)

That may not be exact (It's been a while since we read them, but you get the picture.

Each set progresses with more difficult phonics.

With that said, maybe you would rather use something like Happy Phonics.(all games) It is put out by Love to Learn. Maybe just playing games for awhile would be a nice switch. We just played a few and it really got my daughter more interested.

If all else fails...take a break. Everything looks better after giving birth! lol

Another few months isn't going to make that big of difference in the whole scheme of things.

Blessings!!!!!

You guys crack me up! I just LOVE to hate teaching phonics too.... it all started with reading about SWBs smart little monkeys who learned to read at age 3 or 4... and I wanted a smartypants reading preschooler too!!

The nails on the chalkboard, and pulling my eyelashes out... oh, the torture of listening to kids sounding out words slowly and wrong.

We tried all sorts of programs too, and she didn't start reading fluently until 2nd grade. (why oh why did I start at age 3???)... anyways, I think mostly it starts to kick in when they are devlopmentally ready for it to. It could have been the programs, but really, I think it was the timing.

With my next child along the way, I haven't been nearly as stressed out about the whole thing. Yes, he takes ages to sound out words, but I know there's a light at the end of this crazy ride, because his sister reads like crazy now... it will happen!!

To save my sanity I took 6 months off of phonics instruction and when we started up again, it was easier on both of us. She picked up sounds faster, and started reading with more fluency.

Someone SHOULD write that 1000 days book though... because it would probably be more realistic for most kids LOL. For some reason, I thought it would be more like 'Teach Your Child To Read in 25 days'.

Liz in NC

Oh, Liz, I cannot imagine how any of us would have survived if I'd had to teach phonics while I was pregnant! I detested being pregnant with Schmooey, and HATED teaching phonics. It was wonderful once the switch flipped on and they were reading, but phonics was so. very. painful. The endless sounding out of words nearly made me lose my mind (not that I was far from it anyway:lol:). If I'd had to do it pregnant, there would have been far more yelling, and there was already too much around here.

So - lots of sympathy here! Maybe you can look into something like Explode the Code online or Headsprout for now? That elevated blood pressure isn't good for you or the wee babe. :D :grouphug:

You guys crack me up! I just LOVE to hate teaching phonics too.... it all started with reading about SWBs smart little monkeys who learned to read at age 3 or 4... and I wanted a smartypants reading preschooler too!!

:lol: - that is so funny! I think alot of us started out with the same Bright Idea! I mean, books in the crib!

My oldest son started first grade refusing to learn to read. By March of the next spring, he could read anything. He used My Father's World Phonics, which I loved. It is sooo easy to teach. He cried most days, but hey... Susan said learning to read does not have to be fun. He loves to read now. A huge book worm.

My little guy... started him with the same program and within a few weeks, he was having headaches, stomach aches, wanting to vomit when it was "school time". I decided not to make him cry everyday and backed off. I did have him do some Explode the Code but very, very relaxed... not everyday. Sometimes, not every week. By the end of that year (first grade), he, too, was reading just about anything. It amazes me what he can read with so little instruction. Regardless, he just started Phonics Pathways and is tolerating it ok so far :tongue_smilie:.

Phonics is just this dance I've had to do with each child. In the end, they'll end up in the same place.

Okay, I took a closer look at "Really Reading!" by Tanglewood. It looks nice and simple. Since I have zero desire to be some kind of phonics drill instructor -- I am just not that into phonics but I think it would help to cover a few rules (and I want to be sure I know how to explain them) -- I like that it looks short and sweet.

But one thing I don't like about it is in Lesson 22, Rule 1: "When there are two vowels in a word, the first vowel says it long sound and the second vowel is silent." I thought this was true in only about 40% of cases, and there are many notable exceptions such as both double vowels in Australia, so I am hesitant to teach that "rule." Thoughts??

Liz in NC

Has he actually completed a phonics program and is just struggling with fluency? I am wondering if you might be better served by chucking the formal phonics program (if he's covered the important stuff) and just going to the library for books that he can actually READ. This was the key to fluency for my 7 year old son. I think for him it was just a matter of gaining confidence in himself.

Have him read to you or on his own with you in the room so you can correct him if you need to, and just let him figure out that he CAN actually do this.

For my son we started with very simple books just to build his confidence, and now in less than a year he's reading books well above his grade level.

It's just a thought. :001_smile:

oh, and- I think we should be able to take a school vacation when pregnant. Seriously. I am so short on patience when I'm pregnant that I turn into a horrible teacher! :tongue_smilie:

oh, and- I think we should be able to take a school vacation when pregnant. Seriously. I am so short on patience when I'm pregnant that I turn into a horrible teacher! :tongue_smilie:

Can I second this?? I took almost 2 months off because of morning sickness! Now we're schooling through summer because of this. Then the baby is born in August and I'm back to being a sleep deprived cranky mom.

On an up note, my ds is taking a summer reading course that he is really enjoying! It's alleviating some of my stress!!

Liz in NC