Menu

Care to share your 7th grade schedules?

Brindee

I know I put one up about my dd's schedule awhile back, but I'm hoping others will share what they'll be doing for 7th grade! Here's the changed Schedule for dd12:

Bible: From Queen Homeschool--"The Standard of Purity" and "Increasing In Wisdom"

Math: LoF Beginning Algebra and Home Companion, CLE Math 8

Grammar: Queen "Language Lessons for the Elementary Child 2" and Hake

Vocabulary: Vocabu-Lit (I really like how it looks!) (Changed from Vocab. From Classical Roots A & B)

Literature: Books & study guides

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay Italic, the last book in the series, to cement her writing style/make it faster, more her own

Science: Rainbow

Logic: "Orbiting With Logic", then"Fallacy Detective" possibly

History: The Teaching Company "Early American History", Books & study guides

Geography: "Trail Guide to World Geography"/"Draw Your World"/Geography Through Art"/Hands-On Geography --- Some combination I have yet to determine

Latin: Haven't finalized yet. May not do Latin

Spanish: Combination of "Spanish Now!", Visual Link & Berlitz

Writing: Write Shop

Art: Notgrass "Learn To Draw"

Is this everything? Sure seems like enough! Plus she has her new "business" that she'll be doing--working with on-going projects.

Will you all share what you are doing?! :001_smile:

Edited by Brindee
Changed Bible! :)

Ours is in the signature but without the details. I developed our own history and literature so it really adds long booklists to it. But, of course, if anyone wants to see the details I would be happy to provide them. I just don't want to bore or overwhelm anyone with it.:D

I also plan on starting dd in Critical Thinking Book One.

Brindee, I think your plan looks really good! What are some of the books you will be reading for literature?

Here's what we did this year:

Latin: Latin Prep. We got halfway through Book 2, and he too the NLE Latin I exam.

Math: 1965 Dolciani algebra ... dh took over this year, and, well, let's just say he wasn't as consistent as I would have been :P They made it through chapter 7.

Greek: We started, and stopped Elementary Greek twice.

Writing: Classical Writing Diogenes Maxim

History: TOG units 3 and 4 of year 2, and 1 and 2 of year 3

Literature: My own list pulled from LCC, TWTM, and TOG

Science: Err ... we did watch a Teaching Company video on astronomy

Classical Studies: The Iliad, w/Teaching Company lectures

I feel better about changing our plan, now. :001_smile: We're getting a head start this summer and trying out separating all subjects instead of combining a few.

Ds 12 (7th grade)

Math: Pre-Algebra (Finish Saxon 87 and move to Algebra 1/2)

English: Rod & Staff 5 & 6 (We switched English programs and I wanted to start nice and easy since there's a baby arriving later this summer. ;))

Latin: Oxford Latin 1

Greek: Hey Andrew 3

History & Literature: History Odyssey Level 2 - Early Modern (From SOTW 3 w/ Kingfisher, we're trying it out for the summer and then I'll make my decision.)

Science: Apologia General Science (From Christian Kids Explore Chemistry)

+ Piano, swimming, and karate

I'm still playing with starting Critical Thinking this year and doing some art & music history.

I also plan on starting dd in Critical Thinking Book One.
I hope that works out well! I had CT books 1 & 2 and we just couldn't get into it. We finally gave up and I sold them. Sigh....I had hoped we could do those, I'd seen good reports about them!

Brindee, I think your plan looks really good! What are some of the books you will be reading for literature?
It's kind of a mixed bag, not sticking with one time period. But that's what dd wanted and I was okay with it. Here are some of the books we're doing:

The Scarlet Pimpernel (I want to find the movie I saw a long time ago for her to see. I loved it! But there are a few, so I need to look carefully for the right one)

Streams to the River, River to the Sea

The Testimony of Charlie Coulson

Abraham Lincoln, The Boy and the Man

Land of the Morning

All of a Kind Family

Around the World in 80 Days

Toby's Grand Ambitions

The Secret Room

Theodore Roosevelt: The Boy and the Man

I, Juan de Pareja

These are the ones we are starting with, and maybe they'll be enough. I'm still open to any suggestions (that I can get study guides with....I'm not good with literature) though!

Edited by Brindee
to add the other books/guides we're doing

I wish I knew!

What I do know for 7th grade:

Science: Science Explorer's Life Science

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from the Classical Roots, Book A

Grammar: Analytical Grammar

What I am undecided about:

Literature: thinking of compiling a book list from various sources and considering also using Lightening Literature. I'll know after convention in a couple of weeks.

Math: I need a pre-algebra course that will prep for higher level maths for engineering minded child. Considering: Chalkdust or Saxon or ???

History: I am pretty sure I am going to do Sonlight Core 7, but probably just the history portion, not the reading. I am not sure if I am going to spread it out over two years in order to include more classical reading

Logic: considering whether or not to do this & if so, what to use?

Art: Son has requested a drawing curriculum. I will look at Artistic Pursuits at convention to see if it might be a fit. I have looked at Lifepac Art & it is very rigorous.

I've never had this many topics undecided this late in the game (it feels late to me). It's a very unsettling feeling.

Brindee, How do you like the Home Companion to LOF?? What does it have that the book doesn't?? Thanks for your reply. :)

My dh works with the kids on math now, but from what I understand, the Beginning Algebra Home Companion breaks the book down into 108 lessons. It makes it more bite-sized and easier to have direction, as opposed to just having the student book. That's why my kids have liked it, except for that they have a hard time stopping their reading to do the assignment type thing in the HC. :)

Hope that helps, I can ask my dh later if there is more to it than that.

This is what my dd is currently doing for 7th. We are nearly half way through our school year.

Bible: She is reading through the Bible on her own - her choice. We do family Bible time together as well - currently reading through with Mark with journal.

Math:Understanding Maths 7

Grammar: Abeka Grammar and Composition 1, and LLATL

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from Robinson Curriculum

Literature: Sonlight 7 and many other things as well....

Writing: No formal program at the moment. Writes two compositions per week using words from vocab list. Also has writing from Abeka and LLATL and history reports etc. Sonlight 7 has some interesting writing assignments which I may utilize as I go.

Science: Apologia General Science

History and Geography: Sonlight Core 7

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: Piano, violin, band.

Ours is in the signature but without the details. I developed our own history and literature so it really adds long booklists to it. But, of course, if anyone wants to see the details I would be happy to provide them. I just don't want to bore or overwhelm anyone with it.:D
What exactly is included in the Basic College Math? I've seen it mentioned a lot, but not sure what the draw is. I'm continuously looking for dd, so I'm interested in why you chose that!

Do you have study guides with the books you use for lit? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing your list!:001_smile:

Math: Discovering Mathematics

Latin: First Form Latin

English: Rod and Staff (2 lessons on Friday)

Writing: CW for Older Beginners and Poetry for Older Beginners (4 days/wk)

Science: Kim Wright's Microscope Adventure and Botany Adventure

History, Literature, Geography, Fine Arts, World View, Read Alouds: TOG Year 3

Logic: Fallacy Detective

I wish I knew!

What I do know for 7th grade:

Science: Science Explorer's Life Science

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from the Classical Roots, Book A

Grammar: Analytical Grammar

Just today I was looking at Analytical Grammar again, and thinking maybe I should've gone with that instead of Hake! :tongue_smilie: Still not sure what to do about that now!

Logic: considering whether or not to do this & if so, what to use?

Have you used any of the Dandy Lion Series? DD did the first two books this year and will do the last book, "Orbiting With Logic" this year. She liked the first two books, as they were a gentle intro., since they're sort of for lower grades, but good for a gentle intro. for higher grades! Then I may get her "The Fallacy Detective" to finish off the year.

Art: Son has requested a drawing curriculum. I will look at Artistic Pursuits at convention to see if it might be a fit. I have looked at Lifepac Art & it is very rigorous.
Oops, you reminded me that I didn't put that on there, so I'm going to add that now. I haven't ordered it yet, but Notgrass has a neat looking Art that I am pretty sure I want to get for dd. She said it looks good because she wants to work on shading and placement. This seems to have both of those. It's not expensive either, which helps! :D

http://www.notgrass.com/learn-to-draw-drawing-instruction.php

Edited by Brindee

For my 7th grader:

History: MOH Vol. 1 as our main spine, along with SOTW Vol. 1

Writing: WriteShop I

Math: probably sticking with MUS Pre-Algebra....may use LOF Beginning Algebra/Fred's Home Companion as a supplement or instead of MUS. still deciding.

Spanish: Middle School Spanish through discovery streaming

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 3000, Book 7

Science: BJU Science 7: Life Science

Copywork/Dictation: Living Memory

Logic: MindBenders B1

Art: Meet the Masters Online

extracurriculars: Youth Praise Choir at church; 6 hours of dance classes each week; looking for a good book club for her to join.

Here's what DS will be doing next year:

Bible and Geography: Studying Christianity in various countries using activity books from Kids of Courage

English: IEW Fix-it Grammar and once a month reports via IEW as well

Math: Math-U-See Advanced (Fractions, Decimals and Pre-Algebra)

Science: Noeo Chemistry II

History: Story of the World Volume 4

Reading: WTM history list

Typing: Typing Instructor Deluxe

Spelling: Megawords books 6 & 7

These will be via a co-op:

English from the Roots Up

Abeka Health

Drama

Karate

Also, DS is in Boy Scouts.

We had planned on CD Prealgebra but I was really concerned she might not be ready for it. Fay (Pongo) explained to me that the Larson's Basic College Math would allow her to practice her basic math skills a little more yet still have the prealgebra she needed to go on to Algebra I in 8th. It was also a LOT cheaper. I got the text, solutions manual and DVDs for around $56 including shipping. I just ordered it today but it will be here later this week. I'll be happy to post later when I get a chance to look at it if you'd like.

I have study guides for some of the literature choices but not for all of them. I tend to hunt around for what is free!:001_smile:

Here is our basic list:

English Literature for Boys and Girls

Bulfinch's Mythology (I did find a vocab. study guide for the first third of this book-Age of Fable)

Beowulf (free study guide-signet classic)

King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (free guide-core knowledge)

Canterbury Tales (Retold by McCaughrean)

The Little Duke

Ivanhoe (maybe)

For world history we're reading these:

The Crusades (West)

In Freedom's Cause

Daughter of Time

Joan of Arc (Twain)

The Arabs in the Golden Age

Saladin

From the Tower Window (My Book House series)

additional documents, poetry,etc.

American History (we do two chains of history)

George Washington's World

This Country of Ours

Notebook with collection of documents, essays and poetry to help balance our history books.

Little Women

The Great Little Madison

Abe Lincoln Grows Up (maybe)

I have others in line but I'm waiting to see how far along we get.

P.S. Forgot our world history spines: The Story of England, The Story of the Middle Ages and The Story of France

HTH:001_smile:

Edited by Kfamily
forgot some books...

We had planned on CD Prealgebra but I was really concerned she might not be ready for it. Fay (Pongo) explained to me that the Larson's Basic College Math would allow her to practice her basic math skills a little more yet still have the prealgebra she needed to go on to Algebra I in 8th. It was also a LOT cheaper. I got the text, solutions manual and DVDs for around $56 including shipping. I just ordered it today but it will be here later this week. I'll be happy to post later when I get a chance to look at it if you'd like.

I have study guides for some of the literature choices but not for all of them. I tend to hunt around for what is free!:001_smile:

Here is our basic list:

English Literature for Boys and Girls

Bulfinch's Mythology (I did find a vocab. study guide for the first third of this book-Age of Fable)

Beowulf (free study guide-signet classic)

King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (free guide-core knowledge)

Canterbury Tales (Retold by McCaughrean)

The Little Duke

Ivanhoe (maybe)

For world history we're reading these:

The Crusades (West)

In Freedom's Cause

Daughter of Time

Joan of Arc (Twain)

The Arabs in the Golden Age

Saladin

From the Tower Window (My Book House series)

additional documents, poetry,etc.

American History (we do two chains of history)

George Washington's World

This Country of Ours

Notebook with collection of documents, essays and poetry to help balance our history books.

Little Women

The Great Little Madison

Abe Lincoln Grows Up (maybe)

I have others in line but I'm waiting to see how far along we get.

HTH:001_smile:

Yes it does help, and yes I would love to hear what you think of the BCM when you get it, thanks! :001_smile:

Bible - Kay Arthur Inductive Revelation

History - Biblioplan/MOH Middle Ages

Science - BJU Life Science with DVD's

English - BJU English 6/Jump In/Vocab from English Roots

Spelling - Spelling Wisdom

Math - Saxon 87 (done quickly) then Alg 1/2

Latin - LFC

Artistics Pursuits

Math: Algebra (not sure which program, probably Foesters)

LA: Spelling Mastery E & F, The Grammar Key, The Lively Art of Writing, Put That in Writing, IEW -Ancients, The Grammer of Poetry, and Literature via the WTM logic stage list focused on the Ancients with discussion of literary elements.

History:- Ancients, Spines are: A Little History of the World, Augustus Ceasar's World, and Learning Through History Magazine.

He'll be doing a Technology class this year in loo of science: Logo to Lego via The Potter's School

Japanese: Rosetta Stone

Geography: Ellen McHenry's program

Bible: We read together

Memory: I choose

Book/Lit list:

Gilgamesh the Hero, McCaughrean

Egyptian Myths, Morley

The Golden Goblet, McGraw

The Children's Homer, Colum

Archimedes and the Door of Science, Bendick

Tales of the Greek Heros, Green

In Search of a Homeland, Andrews

The Bronze Bow, Speare

The Eagle of the 9th, Sutcliff

Julius Caesar, The Young Reader's Shakespeare, McKeown

We'll add in some additional light reading between these.

I'm still looking for a good vocabulary program.

We use outside classes for art and music.

He swims, runs and does Aikido.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
sp/book list

My young 7th grader will be doing the following:

Bible: Character Building for Families - as a family

Bible/History: Biblioplan Ancients with MOH 1 and lot of literature with a couple of Christian Novel Studies guides

Science: BJU Life Science 7

Math: LOF pre-alg if ready after finishing Decimals and Percents and Videotext Algebra.

Grammar/Reading (Lit.)/Spelling etc.: CLE LA 700 and Reading 700

Latin: Great Latin Adventures

Art: Co-op class

Music: Guitar and Piano lessons cont. - and leads worship at church

PE: Continued with brothers and me!

I think that's all! :001_smile:

Our line-up for 7th grade next fall:

Daily

Latin: First Form Latin

Grammar: AG

Algebra: NEM & another text along with DVDs featuring Dana Mosley of CD math

Composition: Finish CW:Homer B & move on to Diogenes

Literature: selections from poetry, short stories, history, epics, fiction/nonfiction

Memory & copy work: Living Memory selections & Spelling Wisdom

1-2x week

Religion: The Bible and Its Influence

History: History Odyssey level II, year III

Chemistry: The Elements, Carbon Chemistry & selected lessons from OM8 science

Extracurricular/free time:

Art: Mapping the World with Art, co-op classes & library books/DVDs

Music: co-op group guitar lessons

Physical ed: dance classes 4x a week

Edited by Carmen_and_Company
Forgot our religion text

This is our preliminary plan (still in tweeking stage!)

We are going to try the new program by Heart of Dakota "Hearts for Him Through Time" as our base progam. We will add to this:

Bible: Bible Study for All Ages( family bible time )

Language Arts : Queeen Homeschool Lang Lesson Elem 2 and Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons Advanced

- Phonetic Zoo

- Vocabulary Vine

- IEW Ancient Civil Theme-Based Lessons

and looking into Write With the Best

- CW Poetry for Beginners

- considering DITHOR or other lit guides

- Story Starters

Math: LOF Decimals and Percents and start Beg Algebra; possibly Math Mammoth but still debating.

Science: Great Science Adventures Human Body; Atoms and Molecules with other Chemistry reading.

Language: French- L'Art de Lire

Latin - Latin for Children

Art : Drawing Textbook

Here is ours:

'Calvin' (aged 12/13)

English: So You Really Want to Learn English 3; LL7; Shakespeare study (to be decided)

Maths: LOF Algebra; continuing review of previous topics with Mixed Maths Exercises

History: Classical Civilisation, leading to GCSE (high school) exam in June '10

Geography (including earth science) leading to Geography IGCSE (high school) exam in May '10

Music: various music theory plus beginning guitar lessons

Memorisation: various, mostly poetry

French: SY French 2

Latin: Latin Prep 3/SY Latin 3/Lingua Latina?

Mandarin: community school or tutor

RE/Philosophy: Galore Park RE then Philosophy for Kids (White)

Art: Draw Squad plus various

PE: running, Taekwondo, swimming

Other: scouts, chess club

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

My dh works with the kids on math now, but from what I understand, the Beginning Algebra Home Companion breaks the book down into 108 lessons. It makes it more bite-sized and easier to have direction, as opposed to just having the student book. That's why my kids have liked it, except for that they have a hard time stopping their reading to do the assignment type thing in the HC. :)

Hope that helps, I can ask my dh later if there is more to it than that.

That's wonderful. Thank you. :) I had a little chuckle when you said the kids don't want to stop reading. My daughter is the same. I can't do LOF until we finish all the rest of our schooling or else she'll just want to stay there all day. hehehe :)

We'll be doing 7th grade this next school year. So far I've bought a ton of curriculum (I need a twelve step program for this as well :tongue_smilie:) and I don't have it all in front of me right now so let me see if I can remember off of the top of my head.

Bible- CLE Bible 700

LA- LLATL

Grammar- Winston Basic

Spelling- Spelling Power

Science- BJU Life Science texts and kit

Spanish- Spanish Now, plus my own lessons that I make up based upon literature.

History- MOH & Teaching History through Art

Geography-Trail Guide to World Georgraphy & Geography through Art

Math- CLE, Singapore NEM & LOF

Music-piano

I think I got them all (although I suspect there is more lurking that I bought earlier in the year and have forgotten about). :tongue_smilie: I really need to stop buying curriculum now! :eek:

Here's ours.

Writing- IEW SWI-C

Literature- Lightning Lit 7

Grammar- Abeka 7 (just the grammar part)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

Math- Lial's Basic College Math

Social Studies- BJU World Studies

Latin- So You Really Want to Learn Latin

Science- BJU Life Science 7

Math: Algebra (not sure which program, probably Foesters)

LA: Spelling Mastery E & F, The Grammar Key, The Lively Art of Writing, Put That in Writing, IEW -Ancients, The Grammer of Poetry, and Literature via the WTM logic stage list focused on the Ancients with discussion of literary elements.

History:- Ancients, Spines are: A Little History of the World, Augustus Ceasar's World, and Learning Through History Magazine.

He'll be doing a Technology class this year in loo of science: Logo to Lego via The Potter's School

Japanese: Rosetta Stone

Geography: Ellen McHenry's program

Bible: We read together

Memory: I choose

I'm still looking for a good vocabulary program.

We use outside classes for art and music.

He swims, runs and does Aikido.

Have you tried or looked at Genki Japanese? Taz uses the text series at University & Storm wants to begin next fall. It looks great & even I had no problem with understanding the lessons. You can purchase new online stores, and mostly used off EBAY & Amazon. Since we have the texts, workbooks & tapes for book I & II, I only need the answer keys.

Here's my dd's plan.

Bible: Character Trait Study (still looking for resources)

Math: Glencoe 8th grade Pre-Algebra

Science: Rainbow Science, Year 1

Writing: Jump In

Grammar: BJU 7

Vocabulary: Roots and Fruits (Greek/Latin roots)

Logic: Orbiting with Logic, Fallacy Detective

Lit: CLE 7, several novels and historical reading

History: (condensed to 3 years) beginning around 1000 AD (still looking for resources)

Latin: possibly through a co-op

Art/Music: possibly through a co-op

Bible-Explorer's Bible Study and Bible Quizzing(1 & 2 Corinthians)

Math-Saxon Algebra 1 and LOF Algebra

Language-ABeka and IEW Fix IT

Vocabulary- Vocabulary from Classical Roots A & B

Writing-IEW SWI B

Science-Apologia, second half of General Science and first half of Physical

History/Lit./art-finish up TOG Y2 and start Y3

Spanish-Rosetta Stone

Logic-Introductory Logic

Music-clarinet and saxophone

Physical Education-basketball

We'll be doing 7th grade this next school year. So far I've bought a ton of curriculum (I need a twelve step program for this as well :tongue_smilie:)
Me too! Although the way I'm going this year, I wonder if 12 steps is enough! :lol:

Bible- CLE Bible 700

LA- LLATL

Grammar- Winston Basic

Spelling- Spelling Power

Science- BJU Life Science texts and kit

Spanish- Spanish Now, plus my own lessons that I make up based upon literature.

History- MOH & Teaching History through Art

Geography-Trail Guide to World Georgraphy & Geography through Art

Math- CLE, Singapore NEM & LOF

Music-piano

I keep wishing I would've heard about CLE before I bought all the other stuff! I wouldn't mind trying it! Have you used it , or is this the first time you've gotten it?

Hey, can you teach my dd Spanish? :001_smile: Our girls have some of the same classes, too bad we don't live closer!

I think I got them all (although I suspect there is more lurking that I bought earlier in the year and have forgotten about). :tongue_smilie: I really need to stop buying curriculum now! :eek:
:iagree: I hear ya!:001_huh::001_smile:

Everyday:

CLE LA

CLE math (alt. w/LOF B.alg & see how that goes)

LFBC physical science

SOTW 3 w/ AG, tests; A History of Us, BF World/Am. Hx

IEW U.S. HBWL

Spanish ?? (maybe Spanish for Children)

Bible - ?? - (maybe Understanding Scripture)

Hymns - The Hymnal 1982

Guitar

1-3x/wk

CLE Reading (alt. w/ other literature)

Vocabulary for the High School Student

Bulfinch's Mythology Age of Fable

A Child's History of Art - Architecture

Idiot's Guide to Geography

Art - Feed My Sheep

Music Ace

My dd will do:

R&S English gr 6 (for gr 7)

WriteShop

Finish Russian Math and then do LoF Algebra 1 (will do Algebra 1 twice since she's so young) along with Japanese Math 7 (I hope--budget and all may limit us to just the LoF.)

All American History 2

Spelling Power

RS4K 1 Physics (a bit easy, but she is doing the other 2 this year, so well just finish it), then Health with trade books

Latin Primer 2--we're way behind in Latin

RS German

Recorder

Swim team

No doubt, I'm forgetting something; I usually do.

Bible-BJU hardrive

Math-BJU hardrive

English-BJU hardrive

Latin-Latin Primer2

Logic-?

History-studying mid/ren/ref with a mix of VP,BF,TQ, and SL

Science-BJU's Life w/hardrive

Music-BF History of Classical Music

P.E.-homeschool class/karate

Art-God and the History of Art

Edited by Rebecca77

Finish Russian Math and then do LoF Algebra 1 (will do Algebra 1 twice since she's so young) along with Japanese Math 7 (I hope--budget and all may limit us to just the LoF.)
So, she will do Algebra 1 again in 8th grade? What do you have in mind for her to do? I'm debating whether to do that with dd also. I'd rather her have a strong base than move forward to Algebra II too early! Plus, by doing another Algebra I program, she will get the info. from another viewpoint/angle, which would be good as well.

Me too! Although the way I'm going this year, I wonder if 12 steps is enough! :lol:

LOL I hear ya! :)

I keep wishing I would've heard about CLE before I bought all the other stuff! I wouldn't mind trying it! Have you used it , or is this the first time you've gotten it?

This will be my first time using it. It actually just came in the mail yesterday. I've flipped through the books and they look good to me. The lessons seem short, but balanced and rigorous enough, but that's all I can really say until I start using them. :)

Hey, can you teach my dd Spanish? :001_smile: Our girls have some of the same classes, too bad we don't live closer!

It is too bad. It would be fun to have classes together. It would be good for Spanish too because I like to do "speed races" with vocabulary words and a timer for prizes and it would be so much more fun with more kids. It would be like a game show! :) hehe

Our 7th grade plans are in my siggy. I am pretty set on everything so far except CW and Atelier. CW is scaring me a bit, but I am going to press on and give it a go. I also have an IEW history Based book here as a back up. ;)

Atelier was not a huge hit here. Nothing inspired my son to actually TRY to do his best (nor the other two boys who did art with us). I didn't like the lack of actual art instruction. We only used part of Level 5 though, so perhaps an older level will provide more of the how-to's of art....brush stroke how to's, highlighting how-to's, shading how-to's...etc. So, I have Atelier listed, but I am still on a search for something better, preferably video led. We have already tried Artistic Pursuits and my son hated it, as well as a few other homeschool populars (the Feed My Sheep guy for example...I can't for the LIFE of me remember his name or the curriculum we actually used by him! :confused::lol:). Anyhow, if anyone has something they really like, I am all :bigear:

Math: Abeka Pre-Algebra

Science: Apolgia General Science

Writing: Write Shop I

Grammar: Grammar Ace

History: Sonlight Core 3/4 (1 Yr. American History)

Reading: Sonlight readers and read alouds, Reading Detective

Typing: Typing Instructor Deluxe

Spelling: Spelling Power

Vocabulary: continue Wordly Wise 6 & Vocabulary Cartoons

P.E.: workout dvd's; walks; swimming; bike rides, etc.

I think I finally have it figured out.:)

7th Grade:

Math: Saxon Algebra 1 w/ perhaps some Dolciani, Lial's, and LOF to add some spice. I also have TTC Alg. 1 series, I don't kow if we will use them but I have them if needed. I couldn't resist buying them, I found them new, never opened for $2.00

History: Hakim History of US series books 1 - 5 w/ OUP TG, TTC US History lectures, WTM Lit. suggestions

Science: PH Science Explorer Life Science w/ videos and labs, Nature Study

Grammar: R&S - probably 6, he may get bumped up to 7

Vocab/Spell: VCR A & Wordly Wise

Literature: Lightning Lit 7 and Figuratively Speaking

Writing: IEW SWI-B I had thought about also getting the US History, but the description says it's for younger kids.

Logic: Orbiting with Logic I'm not sure what to use after that. I had thought about AoA, but decided against it based on some of the reviews here on the boards.

Art: photography/painting/drawing

PE: through homeschool group, soccer, nature walks, maybe karate

Boy Scouts

As much as I'd like to throw in a language, we've been away from homeschooling for a couple of years, so I'm thinking it might be better to hold off. At least for right now.

For 7th grade this fall these are my plans for dd 12:

Henle 1 with Regina Coeli (I can't keep up with Latin anymore! She knows more than I do)

NEM 1 or Discovering Math by Singapore (I already own NEM, though)

Sonlight Core 6 for History/Lit/Geography and Sonlight Language Arts this year. I'd like our focus on LA to be more cohesive and tied in with Sonlight's Core, so I am going to give it a shot even though I have heard some negatives about the Sonlight LA. If SL's program doesn't work for us, I'm planning to do Our Mother Tongue, Sentence Composing for Middle Grades, The Grammar of Poetry and continue with narration. I am also planning to add in Teaching Company World History DVDs.

Mother of Divine Grace Natural History Syllabus for Science

Sister Wendy DVD's for Art History

Artistic Pursuits for Art

I am considering adding some logic and possibly Voc from Classical Roots but we'll see on that.

Outside classes are dance, violin, and piano.

I think that's it. :)

Anita

My dd will do:

R&S English gr 6 (for gr 7)

WriteShop

All American History 2

Spelling Power

RS4K 1 Physics (a bit easy, but she is doing the other 2 this year, so well just finish it), then Health with trade books

Latin Primer 2--we're way behind in Latin

RS German

Recorder

Swim team

No doubt, I'm forgetting something; I usually do.

I am interested in the Russian Math. What makes it different from other programs?

Thanks

Have you tried or looked at Genki Japanese? Taz uses the text series at University & Storm wants to begin next fall. It looks great & even I had no problem with understanding the lessons. You can purchase new online stores, and mostly used off EBAY & Amazon. Since we have the texts, workbooks & tapes for book I & II, I only need the answer keys.

I haven't looked at this program. My dh is really the one in charge of Japanese. Both he and ds are learning together. I'll pass along the suggestion. There seem to be fewer resources for Japanese than for other languages. Thanks. :001_smile:

Just today I was looking at Analytical Grammar again, and thinking maybe I should've gone with that instead of Hake! :tongue_smilie: Still not sure what to do about that now!

I've had those moments! I think that's why I'm so slow to commit this year - I want to see as much as I can before I buy.

Have you used any of the Dandy Lion Series? DD did the first two books this year and will do the last book, "Orbiting With Logic" this year. She liked the first two books, as they were a gentle intro., since they're sort of for lower grades, but good for a gentle intro. for higher grades! Then I may get her "The Fallacy Detective" to finish off the year.

I haven't seen this series before - I just looked @ it on Amazon & I'll keep it in mind. What book should I start with - it sounds like he should do all of them based on the description, since there is stuff in the earlier one that isn't in the later ones.

What do you think about my highly academic word - "stuff" - sometimes I wonder about myself!:)

I haven't ordered it yet, but Notgrass has a neat looking Art that I am pretty sure I want to get for dd. She said it looks good because she wants to work on shading and placement. This seems to have both of those. It's not expensive either, which helps! :D

http://www.notgrass.com/learn-to-draw-drawing-instruction.php

I just looked at this - thanks for the info. - I'll put it into consideration!

Art: Draw Squad plus various

Did you know you can watch some old Mark Kistler videos on YouTube? My son really likes his stuff & has been doing it for a few years. We're looking for something a little different this year, but he still pulls out his Draw Squad book.

Together:

Tapestry of Grace Year 4 Classic (history, geography, literature)

grammar - R&S English 5 (finishing - will start 6 depending on time)

writing - IEW

Latin - Getting Started with Latin

Bible (no specific curriculum)

Logic - Mindbenders and the like

math - BJU Math 6 (7th grader is a year behind and I'm hoping to have him move to Pre-Algebra in 8th grade, which should be possible after BJU 6)

science - Apologia General (7th grader); BJU Science 6 (6th grader)

other miscellaneous things like artist and composer study, copywork, art projects

Here's our plan for next year:

Math: Art of Problem Solving Algebra I/II, then AOPS Counting and Probability

Science: BJUP Life Science, then BJUP Space and Earth Science

Literature: CLE Reading 7, plus outside class in literature and composition

English: R&S English 7

Latin: Latin I through Lukeion's online course, using Wheelock's Latin

History: Guerber's History of the Middle Ages and History of the Renaissance and Reformation

Other: speech club, ballet, piano, Bright Lights, Junior Cotillion

Rebecca VA (formerly Rebecca in VA; I had to change my screen name because we changed our e-mail address and I couldn't log in anymore)

I posted one of these earlier, but I've changed my mind since then. :)

Bible: Haven't decided yet.

Math: (Insert big, heavy sigh.) He knows all the pre-algebra stuff, but neither of us think he's ready for algebra. I struggled with math at his age, and then woke up one day after my 14th birthday and suddenly math made perfect sense. I suspect he'll be the same way. Maybe the new LOF book if it's ready. I also own Lial's BCM, I have Dolciani Pre-algebra on order, or some of the Key to... books. In other words, killing time till his brain grows up.

Grammar: R&S 7 (If you would have asked me at Christmas, I never would have believed he would be ready for 7, but sometime in early spring grammar started to "click" with him and he started acing the exercises and tests. Hope the same thing happens with math.)

Vocabulary: Vocabulary Vine

Spelling: Megawords 3 & 4

Literature: TOG Year 3

Handwriting: Can-do Cursive (HWOT). THIS is the year he'll switch over from print to cursive, even if it kills me.

Science: BJU Life Science

Logic: Art of Argument then either Argument Builder or Discovery of Deduction. Really looking forward to Art of Argument with him. He's a born debater, so it's going to be fun to study something he's naturally good at.

History: TOG Year 3

Geography: TOG Year 3

Latin: Latin Alive

Writing: Lost Tools of Writing

Art: Artpac (either 6 or 7 - he's doing it with his younger sister). Also art appreciation in TOG

Music: Piano and guitar lessons. There's also music history in TOG

PE: We have a homeschool jumprope team, and he also plays soccer. Also swimming and golf. He golfs with his dad a lot.

Wow! That's a lot! I think it's going to be a fun year, though.

Edited by Staci in MO
Forgot golf

Our 7th grade plan for next year:

Math- Houghton Mifflin Prealgebra then chalkdust Algebra

Evan Moor Daily Word problems

Quarter Mile Math

Grammar - Analytical Grammar and Daily Grams

Spelling- Calvert Spelling

Vocab- Vocab from Classical Roots

Reading/Literature- EPS Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter

Lightning Literature 7?

Figuratively Speaking?

History- History of US w/Hewitt guide and SL 3

Science- Abeka science and Health at Co-op

Geography- Continent Study with Workbooks

Writing- IEW US? or Put That In Writing?

Logic- Orbiting with Logic and Fallacy Detective or Thinking toolbox?

Latin- Finish Getting Started with Latin then ??

Spanish- SOS spanish and co-op

Music- Piano

PE- competitive gymnastics

Next year we will be doing:

Bible: Wise Up! (study of Proverbs)

Math: NEM 2

Grammar: Rod & Staff 7

Vocabulary: Vocab. From Classical Roots A & B

History: TOG year 3

Literature: TOG

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Logic: Traditional Logic