Menu

Care to share your 7th grade schedules?

Brindee

So, she will do Algebra 1 again in 8th grade? What do you have in mind for her to do? I'm debating whether to do that with dd also. I'd rather her have a strong base than move forward to Algebra II too early! Plus, by doing another Algebra I program, she will get the info. from another viewpoint/angle, which would be good as well.

First choice for Algebra 1 the second time around: Dolciani 1965 and/or Gelfand's Algebra. We already have those. I particularly like the fact that the older Dolciani is designed for students who have never heard of a pocket calculator (1965-1975 are the peak years for Dolciani).

Second choice: Foerster's or Lial's. We already have those (never used Foerster's) which we bought used.

Very last choice because my eldest found it too easy and I don't think it's as good with the theory part of algebra: Teaching Textbook, although I may sell this soon.

In the meantime, I'm very excited about getting Life of Fred, even though I was not going to buy anymore Algebra 1 programs. I think it will be a hit with my 11 yo, and am sure it will be a hit with my 8 yo when he gets there in a few years.

I do have mathy dc, if that makes any difference. I'm also very big on mathematical thinking and reasoning as I think it really helps build logic skills. I was mathy, too, when I was a teen, but that was long ago and far away...

I am interested in the Russian Math. What makes it different from other programs?

Thanks

It has a different way of looking at math and thinking about it. We bought the one from Perpendicular Press at http://www.perpendicularpress.com Another one is Mathematical Circles which is sold via Amazon & at the American Mathematical Society. Someone at the AMS wrote me that for Mathematical Circles book that you don't need a lot of math, but it is for clever students. This was in response to my asking about how much math was needed for several books they have listed on their page for advanced high school students, but Myrtle had recommended my getting one or the other for my dd when I asked what she could do when she was done SM 6 because she's too immature for Algebra (she's only 11 and while she's mathy, she's not a math prodigy.)

There are also some Russian Math books that have been translated for grades 1, 2 & 3 but I haven't seen them. I can get you the information if you're interested. I'm not going to get those as ds is going to be in gr 4 in September. I figure with what he's doing he'll be fine until he gets to the Russian Math we have. fwiw, Russian Math is a nickname similar to Singapore Math, when it comes to the book from Perpendicular Press. It also encompasses the way the Russians teach math in general, I think.

Math: Saxon 8/7

History: TOG YR 3

Literature/Writing: mix of TOG and LL-7

French: First Start French book 2

Grammar: EG Plus

Voc: Wordly Wise 7

Science: A Beka 7

Flute lessons

Art lessons

Choir

Edited by ncmomo3

Bible: SL 6 reading and memory versses

Math: Video Text Algebra

Science: either SL 6, or Apologia General - haven't decided which one yet and we will skip chapters that overlap the human anatomy he did this year; he will also do RS4Kids Physics at co-op 2x a month

Writing: IEW Ancients, and SL 6 LA writing assignments (which will go with history pace)

Grammar: Rod and Staff 6 - 2nd half of book

spelling - spelling workout

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise - 5 and 6 (trying to catch up to grade level)

Logic: still investigating this

Lit: CLE 7,

History: SL 6 ancients - Rome, but will do it over 1 1/2 years

Spanish: BJ Spanish 1 / 2nd half of book

Art/Music/PE: through a co-op

Math: Either Thinkwell pre-algebra then algebra, or Chalkdust Pre-algebra then algebra (whichever I can find at an affordable price)

Grammar: Michael Clay Thompson (LA for gifted children; Royal Fireworks Pess)

Vocabulary: Michael Clay Thompson (LA for gifted children;RFWP)

Literature: Skills for Literary Analysis (Stobuagh)

The Call of the Wild, Joseph Narrative, THe Adventures of Tom Sawyer (reread but first time with ananlysis),Idylls of the King, Treasure Island, Oracle of the Dog, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Screwtape Letters , Silas Marner, Ivanhoe, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and a few others

Handwriting: Presidential Penmanship

Science: Apologia Physical Science

History: Still looking

Spanish: probably Rosetta Stone

Writing: Michael Clay Thompson (LA for gifted children; RFWP)

Philosophy: Philosophy for the Young Thinker; Hit him if He Sneezes - from Michael Clay Thompson (LA for gifted children; RFWP)

Character Trait Study: based on the traits found in the Boy Scout Law

Art: classes with an artist friend of mine

Also drum lessons, Boy Scouts, 4H

--

Our math progression has been thrown off. DS took an online math course that was not beneficial. There were so many mistakes in the text, online problems and homework answers that he spent more time worried about if the information was correct than he did learning. So we are going to go back and review pre-algebra with a different program to soldify the information. Once he feels more comfortable with the pre-algebra review he will move on to Algebra.

Edited by The Dragon Academy
Added info

Math: TT Pre-Algebra

L/A: Sonlight LA 6, Climbing to Good English 7, Vocab from Classical Roots

Lit: Sonlight Core 6 readers and Figuratively Speaking

History and Bible: Sonlight Core 6 and History Scholar notebook pages

Science: Sonlight 4 (sound, light, and magnetism)

Art: Homeschool art class

Music: choir

Phys ed: We have a leased horse, so lots of riding.

It has a different way of looking at math and thinking about it. We bought the one from Perpendicular Press at http://www.perpendicularpress.com Another one is Mathematical Circles which is sold via Amazon & at the American Mathematical Society. Someone at the AMS wrote me that for Mathematical Circles book that you don't need a lot of math, but it is for clever students. This was in response to my asking about how much math was needed for several books they have listed on their page for advanced high school students, but Myrtle had recommended my getting one or the other for my dd when I asked what she could do when she was done SM 6 because she's too immature for Algebra (she's only 11 and while she's mathy, she's not a math prodigy.)

There are also some Russian Math books that have been translated for grades 1, 2 & 3 but I haven't seen them. I can get you the information if you're interested. I'm not going to get those as ds is going to be in gr 4 in September. I figure with what he's doing he'll be fine until he gets to the Russian Math we have. fwiw, Russian Math is a nickname similar to Singapore Math, when it comes to the book from Perpendicular Press. It also encompasses the way the Russians teach math in general, I think.

Is it hands on at all or just mental math?

Is it hands on at all or just mental math?

Both, if by hands on you mean written work. There are problems to be done out loud rather than written. There are also some where information is given and the student has to develop their own problem from it. There are some with asterisks that challenge students to think beyond what they've been taught. There are also some independent learning pages, etc. Some of it has been modified for Americans, but some has been left so that you get the Russian way of learning math. There is more, too, that you don't always see in math books.

First choice for Algebra 1 the second time around: Dolciani 1965 and/or Gelfand's Algebra. We already have those. I particularly like the fact that the older Dolciani is designed for students who have never heard of a pocket calculator (1965-1975 are the peak years for Dolciani).

Second choice: Foerster's or Lial's. We already have those (never used Foerster's) which we bought used.

Very last choice because my eldest found it too easy and I don't think it's as good with the theory part of algebra: Teaching Textbook, although I may sell this soon.

In the meantime, I'm very excited about getting Life of Fred, even though I was not going to buy anymore Algebra 1 programs. I think it will be a hit with my 11 yo, and am sure it will be a hit with my 8 yo when he gets there in a few years.

I do have mathy dc, if that makes any difference. I'm also very big on mathematical thinking and reasoning as I think it really helps build logic skills. I was mathy, too, when I was a teen, but that was long ago and far away...

Thankyou for your reply!

DD took TT Pre-Algebra in 5th grade and liked it. I'd guess that if you have mathy children you'd want to do TT Algebra 2 with your dd! Well, you wouldn't want to miss concepts, but there's a lot of review, so it may be the right level.

I'm still trying to figure out what would be the best for dd to do!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Coppelia

Math: Math U See Pre-Algebra

History: Story of the World book 3 (Elizabeth-49ers) and Texas History by Robert Law

Science: Apologia General Science

Lang Arts: 7th Lang Arts Harcourt, Jensen's Format Writing, Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop Level D

Logic: Art of Argument

Latin: Ecce Romani Level 1

Spanish: Trato Hecho

Music: Voice/ Piano lessons

Phys. Ed: Martial arts

Other: Boy Scouts

Literature: undecided

Religion: Catechism of the Catholic Church

It's going to be a fun year!

Bible: with Dad

Memory Work: IEW's Poetry & Charlotte Mason's Scripture Memory system

Math: Videotext Algebra

Latin: Ecce Romani

Writing: CW Diogenes Maxim on line tutorial

History: Teaching Co's Early American History DVD course

Literature: WTM rec's

P.E.: fencing 2x/week

Music: piano

Edited by Nancy in SoCal

JJ-12, grade 7

M-Th.

TOG3 Dialectic – 1 hour

Life of Fred/MUS Algebra, probably will give extra reinforcement the following year with Lial's or Jacob's...math not strong for him, but he'll need it as a Herpetologist, so we labor on!

Chemistry RS4K spine (Elementary level easy reading only, with quick written summary at end of chapter using vocab.) 45m/ 2nd half of year Zoo 2 marine animals

Apologia Physical Sci. 45m.

Rosetta Stone Spanish 30m

Phonics Solutions Spelling CD/Mind Benders Logic CD 2/2 days 20m

History vocab/map study 20m

Latin vocab study 10m

Latin 45m independent The Latin Road to English Grammar

Writing 45m Writing Aids

PE 30

Piano 25m Alfred's Basic

Chores 30 (3x daily 10m pick up and tidy)

Meals 1hr eat, clean, snack

Time with little brother 15m

Free Reading 15m

Friday schedule:

TOG3 1 hour discussion, tests, intro. to new week – all with Mom

Algebra (MUS/Dolciani) 45m.

Apologia Physical Sci. 45m.

Latin 45m instruction for next week with Mom

PE 30

Piano 25m (JM alternates piano and guitar)

Chores 30 (3x daily 10m pick up and tidy)

Meals 1hr eat, clean, snack

Time with little brother 15m

Free Reading 15m

Art (Visual Manna) 1 hour

Assigned Reading (history)/Writing 45m over weekend to get head start

He and his brother (8th grade) do a lot together, so he did the Apologia Gen Sci this year (successfully), but his older bro enjoys math...him, not so much, but I think LoF will change that...we shall see :)

• 4 weeks later...

How are you all doing schedule-wise now? It looks like what I listed will be what we do, except for Handwriting. We're doing "Early Modern History Copybook", Italics cursive version, which will be perfect! WHO MADE THIS BOOK? I forgot! :( It's someone on this site who had it available for FREE download! I am very appreciative, thankyou!

Oh, and the math--grrrr. She's good at math, but for some reason has not much confidence, so I'm thinking that instead of moving forward into LOF Beginning Algebra, and even CLE 8, maybe we'll try the new BJU 7th grade math. I don't like the price of it, but it sounds great for cementing the facts! We can move through it as quickly or slowly as she wants, then maybe she'll feel more confident??? Any ideas or suggestions on this?

Math: Review of Pre-Algebra then Chalkdust Algebra 1

Grammar: The Magic Lens - MCTLA

Vocabulary: Word within the Word Vol. 1 - MCTLA

Literature: Skills for Literary Analysis (Stobuagh)

The Call of the Wild, Joseph Narrative, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (reread but first time with analysis),Idylls of the King, Treasure Island, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Screwtape Letters , Silas Marner, Ivanhoe, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and a few others

Handwriting: Presidential Penmanship

History: All American History Vol. 1 supplemented with The Teaching Co. Early American History DVDs and materials from the comm. college.; so far I have discovered videos pertaining to the early explorers, ancient Native Americans, and of course the Revolutionary War; readers will include Genevieve Foster's books, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Amos Fortune, Asa's Choice, Sequoyah and the Cherokee Alphabet and others as I find them

Spanish: probably Rosetta Stone- having problems locating an affordable, used version

Writing: Advanced Academic Writing Vol. 1 - MCTLA

Philosophy: Philosophy for the Young Thinker; Human Configuration-RFWP

Character Trait Study: based on the traits found in the Boy Scout Law

Also drum lessons, Boy Scouts, 4H

--

I have updated our choices to reflect where we are today. I have created my lesson plans for each subject and began working on the daily calendar now that I have my comm. college class schedule for the fall semester. I have obtained permission for DS to use the cc library and it's resources while I am in class. The librarians are excited about DS's schedule and are helping locate challenging, age appropriate history materials.

What we did last year:

Math: Finished Jacobs Algebra started TT Geometry (and did some other stuff too)

Literature: LLLOTR and K12 English B

Grammar: Daily Grams 7 and K12 English B

Latin: Latin Prep 1 and SYRWTLL 1 (Half of each)

History: K12's Human Odyssey, Spielvogel's World History, period literature, and historical fiction (prehistory to 1800)

Science: Conceptual Physical Science Explorations (the physics part)

Music: Violin lessons

Art and PE: Outside classes

Also: Robotics club

I see that many of you have plans to use BJU Science...I am still in a quandary as to our science choice this year.

I have looked a some at BJU and at Rainbow...what does BJU offer that made your decision to use it and do you feel like it is worth the expense?

I have one going into 7th and one going into 8th that I would be using it with.

History: All American History Vol. 1 supplemented with The Teaching Co. Early American History DVDs and materials from the comm. college.; so far I have discovered videos pertaining to the early explorers, ancient Native Americans, and of course the Revolutionary War; readers will include Genevieve Foster's books, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Amos Fortune, Asa's Choice, Sequoyah and the Cherokee Alphabet and others as I find them
We did AAH, vol. 1 when dd was in 5th grade. She liked it okay, but didn't want to move on to vol. 2, so we took a break from "set" history and did a lot of historical reading this past year. I got the TTC Early Am. History for my boys a few years ago, and dd asked to do it this coming year. I was glad to see your reading list to go along with it! :)
Spanish: probably Rosetta Stone- having problems locating an affordable, used version
Have you seen Visual Link Spanish? Some of it is free, online, but they have periodic sales where you can get the whole thing for much cheaper than the listed price. My dd played around with it last year and enjoyed it, so we bought it on a great sale. I still have to check it out well, but hopefully it will be okay! We also have the books Spanish Now! Level 1 with CD, and Berlitz Spanish. Hopefully we can put a good program together with these for her to learn well enough! :tongue_smilie:
I have obtained permission for DS to use the cc library and it's resources while I am in class. The librarians are excited about DS's schedule and are helping locate challenging, age appropriate history materials.
Now this sounds great! How neat to have them excited about it and helping find good matierials for him! Can you share things you/he find helpful?

I see that many of you have plans to use BJU Science...I am still in a quandary as to our science choice this year.

I have looked a some at BJU and at Rainbow...what does BJU offer that made your decision to use it and do you feel like it is worth the expense?

I have one going into 7th and one going into 8th that I would be using it with.

I'm using Rainbow Science with my dd this coming year. I haven't had a chance to go through and figure it all out yet, but I'm hoping we have a great year with it! It's supposed to be very good for the 7th and 8th grades, so it may be a good fit for your two!

I thought that Rainbow looked great as well. I like science but I am not the greatest at teaching it so I thought that it looked good for us. I posted a few days ago about my struggle to decide between Apologia, BJU, and Rainbow as I want to step it up a bit on our science this year. I haven't placed an order yet though. I wasn't sure what all I will need for both boys so I will probably call. Good luck on your science as well. I still would like to hear what others enjoy about BJU and Apologia- General and Physical.

Guest disneychick

I will be home schooling my son for the first time this year, 7th grade. I used BJUP Science (Earth and Space) for my dd in 8th grade. It was very good, but I think it is expensive for one subject. I am considering Apologia for my son this year.

*Math--Singapore 4B/5A, Life of Fred Fractions

*Latin--2nd half of Latin Prep 1

*French--Learnables 2; possibly Ecoutez! Parlez! 2

*Grammar--Hake 7

*Writing--WWE 2/3 (just what's in the hardback); finish Writing Strands 3, then WS4

*Spelling/vocabulary--Megawords 4, 5, 6

*Literature--Lightning Lit 7

*Logic--Logic Liftoff, Orbiting with Logic

*Science--Interactive Science for Inquiring Minds 1; Milestones in Science kit

*Geography--Trail Guide to World Geography

*Music--co-op (choir, music theory, band); home school band (different from the one at co-op)

*PE--home school tennis, home school PE class

She is also in Cadette Girl Scouts, and her troop is planning a trip to NYC next spring w/ Smithsonian Tours. They'll get to go to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, a Broadway show, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and a few other things. Afterwards, she can get high school credit if we work through the curriculum provided by Smithsonian Tours, but I imagine that won't be until 8th grade.

Here's my list so far, though some of it is still somewhat tentative and I don't have everything yet:

Math: Teaching Textbooks 7

Language Arts: Still working on this, it's a super sticking point for Aspie ds, and we tend to run behind, but will be using some "Take It To Your Seat Centers" from Evan Moor as part of it. I think we'll be doing grammar informally using a lot of Mad Libs kinds of things and some random language arts resources I've got. Honestly, my goal for ds this year is to get him to produce multi-paragraph essays on a fairly regular basis without throwing a fit. We'll work on quality, content, and structure as we are able. Writing is a HUGE Aspie thing for ds.

History: All American History 2

Science: Awakening Wonder: Physical Science*

Life Skills: Sewing kits from Haan Crafts, Leatherworking kit, and possibly a woodburning kit as well.

Art & Music: Ds will be learning to play the recorder with dd using Oak Meadow materials. Ds avoids "art" like the plague but I'll be sticking some in informally when he's in the right sort of mood...sigh....

Interpersonal Relationships: Worksheets! for Teaching Social Thinking and Related Skills

*In the interest of full disclosure, this is something I put together and am now selling. I really don't want to break the rules about advertising here, or come across as a shill, so I hope this is ok to post about in this way. If not, moderators, please feel free to just delete whatever needs deleting, I'm totally ok with that.

• 3 weeks later...
Science: Awakening Wonder: Physical Science*

*In the interest of full disclosure, this is something I put together and am now selling. I really don't want to break the rules about advertising here, or come across as a shill, so I hope this is ok to post about in this way. If not, moderators, please feel free to just delete whatever needs deleting, I'm totally ok with that.

I'm glad you shared, it looks great!

Well, after much struggling, I finally decided I can't really afford the BJU Math 7, and since dd's done pre-algebra stuff, I'm okay with that....I just LOVED how it looked! If I had a younger child, I'd be doing that when they got to that point!

We decided dd will do LoF Beginning Algebra (which we already had cuz her big brother used it) and CLE Math 8 (which I had already bought for her, then I started having second thoughts). I think LoF Beginning Algebra is more like a semester, so we'll make CLE the one we do more often, and LoF the more FUN one that we do less often, and therefore will look forward to it! :D I think DD's okay with that! :tongue_smilie:

Now I just need to figure out how to use the CLE in the best way!:001_huh:

How's everyone else doing?