Menu

What are your kids doing in the fall?

This year has been a lot of hit and miss for us. We moved in December and that confused everything, but Mommy really really needs a break so we are going to take off for the summer starting mid-June and not start schooling again until after Labor Day in September.

Anyway, this is our plan for the Fall: (notes below)

Plan for Fall 2009 by Child

A (Grade 6, will be 11 in Fall)

Math - Videotext Algebra

Music - Recorder, Music Ace

Writing - One Year Adventure Novel

Art - Artistic Pursuits Junior High Book 1(Drawing)

History/Literature - History Odyssey Ancients Level 3

Science - Bridges and Construction

Other - Park Day, Girl Scouts

M (Grade 4, will be 9 in Fall)

Math - Videotext Algebra

Music - Piano, Music Ace

Writing - (IEW, Sequential Spelling, Easy Grammar 4) or Meaningful Composition 4

Art - Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 1

History/Literature - History Odyssey Ancients Level 2

Other - Park Day, Cub Scouts?

P (Grade K, just turned 5)

Math - Right Start Math Level B

Music - Harmony Road, Music Ace

Writing - Writing With Ease, All About Spelling, First Language Lessons, finish Dancing Bears C

Art - Art for Kindergarten

History/Literature - Child's History of the World, Nursery Rhymes and Fairy Tales

Other - Park Day

Notes:

I really am going to put dd10 and ds8 in Algebra together. They are both ready. We aren't doing one of the more rigorous Algebra programs because of the writing aspects. Videotext was the most complete program with the least amount of writing. Dd10 is as literature loving as kids get and just wants math done as soon as possible. Ds8 is an engineer in training; he wants to know just the facts. If at a later time he needs a more proofy algebra we will go there, but right now he needs out of the monotony of arithmetic and into algebra with the least stress possible. And this fits that description. Ds5 is going to do Right Start B probably with the games. He is finishing Horizons K now and we both need a break from endless worksheets. I hope this is more fun.

Music is important in our house so everyone is doing an instrument. I am hoping that Music Ace will provide a little fun and help with note reading. If not, well at least it will be a little fun.

Writing is... challenging. I don't want to teach it. So I am outsourcing dd10's writing altogether and using the Adventure Novel in a Year. I hope she enjoys it and learns whether or not she really wants to be an author. I am going to use either IEW, Easy Grammar and Sequential Spelling for ds8 or Meaningful Composition 4. According to the website Meaningful Composition is a workbook combination of all the individual sources I was going to use. I haven't really decided yet. Ds5 is going to do Writing With Ease, All About Spelling and First Language Lessons. We will finish Dancing Bears C before we start in the Fall, but this looks entirely reasonable for him. He does pretty neat copywork and is reading well.

Art... I wish I could do better at getting this done. Dd10 wants to learn to draw so her Artistic Pursuits book is written directly to the student. I am going to hand it to her and make sure she has time to do it and get out of the way. I am going to try again to get ds8 through the Artistic Pursuits K-3 book. It just didn't get done in the mess that was our year. I have all the supplies. Art for ds5 is a little more basic. He will probably do the projects with ds8 but he needs to do things like figure out yellow and blue make green. I have a list of things that Kindergarteners should do for art and we are going to work through that list.

History is going to be History Odyssey for the big kids. I know that Level 3 is hard and most kids who are 10 can't do it. I am still going to start her there. If I am totally wrong can do Level 2 history with ds8 but I don't think that is likely. Ds5 is going to get a whole bunch of books read to him. He can do any of the projects with ds8 that he wants to .

Bridges and Construction is a project based science that we are going to make up ourselves using k'nex Intro to Bridges set, Bridges! Amazing Structures to Build and Test, and whatever library books we find to be interesting. We may add the k'nex advanced Bridges set too, if everything is going well. My ds8 wants to build things and this course is designed specifically with him in mind. My dd10 doesn't care about any science right now and ds5 will like anything.

In the other section is Park Day. This is our chance to hang out with other homeschoolers and get some running around time too. This is every Monday afternoon. Also in other is girl scouts, this is more problematic since she will be in sixth grade and should move up to cadets. The problem is that while those projects are better, the kids are more.... mature. I am trying to figure out if we have other options. So far she isn't liking any options I come up with. We will see. Cub scouts is harder. Ds 8 had a really hard time in his den this year. Too much disorganization. Too many clueless adults. Ds 8 wants to lone scout this year for Webelos. I am strongly considering doing that, but most of the best parts of cub scouts are the group meetings. So we are still working on a solution for that.

And maybe there will be time for me in here too. My goals for me are:

1. Learn to play chess

2. Learn to cook (not bake - cook!)

3. Stay sane.

And that is our plan. Anyone else care to share?

okey-dokey, here goes. we are still working on it, so some stuff has not been developed yet.

DS 12, 7th grade

LoF Algebra with home companion

Rod and Staff 6--we took a break from it this year, will finish it up in fall

a vocab builder, maybe Words!Words!Words!

geography self study, one state a week, present to rest of family, when finished with states move on to countries of the world

history--we finished SOTW Vol. 4, so it's back to ancient world, I am looking forward to him reading Herodotus.

science-- under development.

coop-- we joined a new coop, and we will know over the summer what classes they will be offering. I know for sure there will be an in-depth study of the Odyssey, so he will do that.

drama club-- looks like they will be doing Peter Pan, so that is in the cards as well

tae kwon do-- working towards 2nd degree black belt

Piano lessons

Scouts-- he wants to to Archeology merit badge, which means contacting Field Museum in Chicago for mentoring and service hours there.

Looks like we will be driving a lot in the fall

DS10, grade 5

Saxon 7/6 finish during the summer, then move on to LoF Algebra.

Rod and Staff grade 5 finish 2nd half

MCP spelling level E finish 2nd half

geography self study, one state a week, present to family and then move on to countries

history--ancient world, with more outlining and writing and PROJECTS

science-- under development

coop-- see above.

drama club-- Peter Pan

tae kwon do-- working toward first degree black belt

Scouts-- finishing Webelos, he wants to earn all the webelos pins, which will be hard because Sportsman is all about playing in team sports, which we don't really do.....but apart from that he has 6 more left to do.

dd 7 grade 2

will finish Saxon 3 this summer. will move on to Saxon 5/4 in fall, interspersed with LoF percents and fractions books

FLL 2nd grade

MCP Spelling B

geography self study, 2 states a week, present to family, then move on to countries when done.

history: SOTW vol. 1

science--under development.

coop-- see above

drama club--Peter Pan

tae kwon do-- 4 levels away from black belt

piano

brownies--earning lots of try-its

at least, that is the plan.

Maria

I am sending my 13yo (8th grader next year) to school for the first time ever. He wants to go to high school and has been begging to go to school so I thought I would let him get a trial year before high school. He is a wrestler and high school is his only option for competing. He is small for his age so putting him in high school early would not work either as he could not wrestle next year...not heavy enough. So he will be going to school and I am hoping once they test him for placement, they will allow him to do math on the computer so at least he doesn't waste all the high school math (Alg, Geometry, and Alg 2) he's already done.

Ds (11yo) 6th grade next year...

Math- Algebra 1

English- Lightning Literature 7th grade, Spelling Power, Wordly Wise, MCT

Grammar, Poetry, and Vocabulary

Science- Physics rotation...Real Science 4 Kids, NOEO Physics, and various

other resources and experiment books

History- Medieval (he's more interested in it and it will allow me to do it with

both kids I will have at home)...World History The Human Odyssey and

History Portfolio

Rosetta Stone Spanish and Gaelic

Music- continue guitar lessons (Celtic and regular), piano

Judo and wrestling practices

Dd (6yo) 2nd grade next year...

Math- Saxon 65

English- Suppose the Wolf's an Octopus, Spelling Power, Wordly Wise, MCT

Grammar, Poetry, and Vocabulary

Science- same as above

History- same as above only using SOTW 2 instead of World History

Rosetta Stone Spanish and Gaelic

Artistic Pursuits K-3 level 2

Music- Suzuki violin and Celtic fiddle lessons, piano

Gymnastics

I think that's all. :001_huh:

This is about 99% finished, yay!

Dd - 9 in August, 4th grade

LoF Decimals & Percents, followed by LoF Beginning Algebra

Key to... books for any extra needed practice, plus the practice with measurement (we used Miquon & Developmental Math for arithmetic, neither of which is heavy on units of measurement)

All About Spelling, finishing Level 4 and continuing on to Levels 5 & 6

Writing Tales 2, then CW Homer A [she gets bored with the set amount of work per day in WT - it's just not very much to her, so we compress it... we'll be done by January if she continues at the pace she set before]

Literature List

SOTW 4 with a lot of supplemental history books & biographies (that list isn't online yet!)

Homegrown physics with various books and kits (also not online yet)

MindBenders, other logic stuff as I find it

Lively Latin

I'm hoping to find some cryptography resources for her. She'll also be doing Master's Academy of Fine Arts (music, drama, and art), homeschool beginning band, a homeschool math club, plus Girl Scouts.

Ds - just turned 4, pre-K

OPGTR

lots of books

RightStart A

HWT pre-K, moving into the K stuff

I have a feeling he'll demand spelling before the year is out, which would be AAS Level 1. Depending on where he's at, we'll start FLL as well. I am not sure how much true "grammar stage" work he'll do once he's off and reading. He's also going to go to Master's Academy and he does a tumbling class and t-ball at the Y.

We had a tough year curriculum wise (read: I am a curriculum junkie) this year as well. My only goal for next year is to stick with what I start! I have fallen in love with CLE and plan to use their Math and LA throughout school for my kids. Right now, we are also using CLE Bible and enjoying it. This fall, we will be giving HOD a try. Our line-up is in my signature...but since it is sooo tiny, I will put it here too. :)

ds 10 - 5th grade in the Fall

Bigger Hearts for His Glory

CLE LA finish 3, start 4

WWE finish workbook 1, start workbook 2

DITHOR Level 4/5

CLE Math finish 4, start 5

CLE Bible finish 3, start 4

States and Capitals/Spectrum Geog

Typing Instructor for Kids

Speedy Spanish I

ds 6 - finish 1st grade in December, on to 2nd in January

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory w/ Emerging Readers

CLE LA finish 1, start 2

ETC books 4 and 5/ETC online

Finish Phonics Pathways

CLE Math finish 1, start 2

Map Skills Geography

CLE Bible finish 1, start 2

New American Cursive

BOTH: CLE Music and CLE Artpacs

progress.gif

Edited by Tree House Academy

I think this is what we're doing:

S (turned 5 at the end of March, will be doing 1st grade work):

MUS Alpha

FLL 1

WWE 1

Sequential Spelling 1

k12 History 1 with SOTW, History Pockets Ancients and various books

ZB Handwriting K, moving into 1

k12 Science 1 (otherwise it won't get done)

Classical Kids vol. 1

lots of reading aloud and silently and me reading to her

Hapkido once a week (though she may be moving up to the older class because of her belt level in the fall)

I am a little concerned about some of the writing because her fine motor skills aren't really where they should be due to lack of practice and age. But I figure most of the narrations and such I can write for her. We'll see.

We start the new school year in July. I am mostly done planning....

DD, turning 6 in July, 2nd grade:

FLL 2

Writing as per TWTM (might officially do WWE, right now just continuing w/ narrations, dictation, etc.)

Spelling Skills 3

SOTW 2

Reading across subject areas

Singapore 3A/3B

Earth and Space science designed by me, supplemented with museum classes and camps

Spanish -- Salsa?

Latin -- starting w/ SSL, then moving into Minimus or LL

ballet, tap, swimming

co-op classes -- not sure what the options will be yet

DS, turning 4 in June, K4:

Continuing with Reading Eggs

My own lit-based program (still in the works!)

MEP 1

Tagging along for science, history, Latin, and Spanish

ballet, tap, and swimming

co-op classes?

Both:

Music: focus on appreciation, attend concerts, dd might begin an instrument

Art: One day per week studying medieval art and architecture, one day per week doing a craft project tied into ds's lit program

feeling a bit overwhelmed....

I thought we would simply do OPG, art, possibly saxon math?

DD will be 5 in November.

We have cut out her semi-private art lessons with a friend and have done this at home the last 2 weeks with great success using the Usborne art book (is ther more than 1?). She LOVES all art- esp. impressionists, notice my avatar?

She has ballet/tap, which she loves.

We do Music Together with DD2 and have done this class since DD1 was a year old. I would like to have piano lessons for/ with her, we just inherited a piano, it is still in the garage.

We have done 1 lesson of biology so far, will continue on Fridays. This is the set that was being sold at the WTM conference this past month. Pre level 1.

I am loving not having the hectic schedule of our past- taking DD1 to work for myself; working from home for DH; playdates; classes....

We are finding our groove here at home, DD1 would benefit from more challenges and a busier schooling schedule.

I noticed there are a few posts with K schedules, but I am not familiar with the product being used. Please help

Still under constuction, but it feels good to see it on paper:

DS (9yo) 4th grade next year...

Math- Finish Saxon 8/7 (& start Jacob's Elementary Algebra? or "Beyond Base Ten"? or something?)

Reading- Moving Beyond the Page Lit. Units, Reading Detective (software)

Grammar-Grammar Key (software)

Writing - Writing Lab

Vocabulary-Word Roots (software)

Spelling-Spelling Power

Science- Developing Critical Thinking through Science (Book 2)

History- A Child's History of the World

Spanish - Rosetta Stone

Music- Theory II

Electives- Advanced Chess (Dh teaches at co-op) & Private Chess Tutoring, Typing Instructor, and some other electives that Dh will put together (possibly robotics?), Art & PE class through Co-op, District/State Interscholastic Competitions, Chess Tournaments, Boy Scouts, Soccer & Tennis

DD (7yo) 2nd grade next year...

Math- RightStart Level C

Reading- "Guided Reading" lessons & practice

Language Arts - Language Smarts C

Writing - Beginning Writing Lab

Spelling-AAS Level 1

Science- Developing Critical Thinking through Science (Book 2)

History- A Child's History of the World

Spanish - Rosetta Stone

Music- Piano or voice lessons

Electives - Art & PE class through Co-op, District/State Interscholastic Competitions, Soccer & Tennis, Possibly 4H, Typing Instructor

DS (4yo) PK next year...

Math- RightStart Level A

Phonics- Alpha-Phonics, LeapFrog

Science- Developing Critical Thinking through Science (Book 2) - Sit-in on sibling class

History- A Child's History of the World - Sit-in on sibling class

Electives - Art & PE class through Co-op PK Program

Edited by babysparkler

When I get to see what everyone else is doing and go on about what I have planned! :)

This year actually went really really well. I always think this will be the year that I overdo it, but so far so good........ We have one more day before he's done with his "regular" year and on to the summer stuff (lighter schedule - mostly just finishing up math and keeping a little Latin and Spanish going) The only thing we actually dropped was Russian, and that was just because in trying to keep the languages separate I had scheduled myself into a corner... We'll bring it back another year!

So next fall:

• Science - Biology (Singapore Biology Matters) and possibly prep for the SAT2 to substantiate the grade
  • Math - Geometry (NEM 1 & 2, Geometry parts) and Mathematical Logic. We're also going to do a light re-run through the Statistics we've done this year (like a problem a day sort of thing) and consider the AP Stats test next spring
  • History - topical, with a heavy writing component... either factual reports of what he finds or essays, but basically we'll be doing sort of "microhistory" with an eye toward learning to do historical research with appropriate sources.
  • Literature - Victorian British Lit... with an excessive number of Gilbert and Sullivan plays... ;)
  • Language - Latin and Spanish

He'll also be continuing with flute, possibly in an ensemble of some kind...

Over the summer we're doing some drawing together, and I'm asking him to keep a journal, because at the end of the summer we'll be taking a long trip, to India... and my only requirement is that he keep a journal and draw pictures. Also because of Biology -- I'm requiring that he keep a proper lab notebook with his own drawings of what he sees in the microscope or whatever, so working on the drawing now should help that... And also for India, we're going to be listening to a "Learn Hindi from Bollywood Movies" podcast. I don't expect we'll learn much Hindi, but it sounds too good to pass up. ;) I think he's going to learn Python programming this summer. I was going to have him do it as an online class next fall but I happened upon a book that looks just as good... Maybe a different programming class next fall?

We've got a few co-op things too... a history of science class, and a math competition team, and a book group. And I'm thinking of assembling a small group for a coastal fisheries project next spring that would combine a little engineering with a lot of biology, and give a nod to the grantwriting end of professional science work...

Scouts-- he wants to to Archeology merit badge, which means contacting Field Museum in Chicago for mentoring and service hours there.

Scouts-- finishing Webelos, he wants to earn all the webelos pins, which will be hard because Sportsman is all about playing in team sports, which we don't really do.....but apart from that he has 6 more left to do.

My son would love to earn the Archeology badge. There aren't any registered merit badge counselors for it in our area so I either have to find and persuade someone to become a counselor or travel somewhere else to earn it.

Once you have a plan I would love to read about what your DS does to earn the badge.

As for the little guy finishing all of the Webelos pins. I hope he can do it. My DS finished all of them right before he crossed over to Boy Scouts. Did you know there is a special patch awarded if they complete them all?

If you ever want to talk to someone about scouts I would love to chat.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

Here's the plan so far:

Dd (13)

Math - Principles of Math 11 (online course) for the fall semester and she plans to do Math 12 online in the Spring semester.

English - CW Diogenes Chreia, Analytical Grammar, TOG year 4

Languages - Henle Latin, Italian (weekly lessons), The Easy French 2B, Elementary Greek level 1

History - TOG year 4

Science - :( We still haven't figured it out...possibly doing an online course for science 10 if she decides she wants to finish science 9 during our summer term.

Bible - Still figuring it out.

Music - piano lessons

PE - She's a Black belt in Taekwon-do and trains a few times each week.

Ds (9) and ds (7):

Together - Writing Tales 1, All about Spelling 2, First Language Lessons 4, TOG year 4 (upper grammar), Exploring Creation with Botany, Latina Christiana 1, Italian lessons

Separate - Ds(9) Singapore 4A/4B, ds (7) RS C, possibly Elementary Greek for ds (9)

They both do Suzuki violin (but ds (7) is switching to cello) and Taekwon-do.

We do some picture study and composer study but I'm also hoping to add in Artistic Pursuits K-3 book 1 for them this fall.

Ds (4 in October) - continue on with Teach Your Child to Read, RS A (slowly, with MCP K to supplement), Handwriting Without Tears, TOG read alouds

feeling a bit overwhelmed....

I thought we would simply do OPG, art, possibly saxon math?

DD will be 5 in November.

I noticed there are a few posts with K schedules, but I am not familiar with the product being used. Please help

My son is about the same age as your daughter. He's reading already, so we aren't doing a phonics curriculum. But here's my plan for the fall:

literature - about 30 minutes read aloud time (with narrations)

math - miquon

art - Draw Write Now

Spanish - Muzzy/informal (labels, conversationally usage)

everything else - Moving Beyond the Page

We decided on Moving Beyond the Page because it is concept based, which is right up DS's alley. I also think it will be pretty easy to put away for a while if school gets overwhelming. We are going to start with one concept (about $50 for the teacher and student materials) in case it just doesn't work for us.

As for reading - we do family reading time in the evenings, which gives DS lots of time to practice his reading skills, so our read aloud time will focus on books that he probably would not read on his own -- things that are too long or hard for him, poetry, etc.

He is very intuitive with math, so much of the time, I will let him play with ideas, using books when he wants to, but just the Cuisinare rods if that's all he wants to do.

I think in K, especially with young k'ers, it's important to let it be fairly unstructured. If they don't want to do it, don't -- you've got years ahead and you want them to enjoy them, not resent learning. Let your daughter be your guide.

I used to have everything planned out and purchased by February. Now, I haven't given next year's curricula much thought, but I'm sticking with our main programs.

DD (age 10)

Math: Singapore 6A/6B, Life of Fred (either his new books or Beginning Algebra)

Language Arts: CW Homer B with Harvey's, I might continue with Calvert Spelling, CW Beginning Poetry B

Latin: ? We are going to try a once-a-week class with some friends added to Latina Christiana (repeat for dd, but more fun with friends)

History: Early Modern using History of US and whatever else I pull together this summer. I plan to tie some literature analysis to this getting ready for Omnibus or WEM.

Science: We're doing Astronomy this summer following WTM.

Friday Co-op Classes: Spanish, PE, Art, Geography, Drama

Other Lessons: Piano, Choir, Equestrian, lots of field trips

Edited by chai

This year has been a lot of hit and miss for us. We moved in December and that confused everything, but Mommy really really needs a break so we are going to take off for the summer starting mid-June and not start schooling again until after Labor Day in September.

And that is our plan. Anyone else care to share?

For Ds (9th grade)

Math: Larson's Algebra 2 then Larson's geometry

Science: Zumdahl Intro to Chemistry then Hewitt Conceptual Physics.

World History: Stearns World Civilization or Spodek The World's History

English: Glenco Writer's Choice grade 10

Health: Holt Lifetime Health

Consumer Education: Glencoe Consumer Education & Economics

Latin: Wheelock's Latin

Computers: Norton's Intro to Computers: Computing Fundamentals then

Intro to Programming: Intro to Programming w/Java

Piano lessons

Kung Fu

Boy Scouts (maybe)

Bowling league

For Dd (9th grade)

Math: Larson's Algebra 2

Biology: Madar Inquiry Into Life or Campbell Biology.

World History: Stearns World Civilization or Spodek The World's History

English: Glenco Writer's Choice grade 10

Health: Holt Lifetime Health

Consumer Education: Glencoe Consumer Education & Economics

Italian: still looking for curriculum

Kamien Music Appreciation then Practical Beginning Theory (music)

Piano, guitar, clarinet lessons

Kung Fu (also on competition and demonstration team)

For science, computers, Italian, and music might take at local junior college. They are to take placement test in beginning of June. Ds is accelerated student. He plans to complete two years of math and science in one year.

For literature we will do a mix with the world history and English.

Health and consumer education will be done concurently but at a slower pace to complete in two semesters instead of one.

Both also will be taking their confirmation classes and teen group through the church.

For extracurricular, they will do whatever catches their interest. Ds may do science olymiad, robotics, math olympiad. Dd may do drama, homeschool band, digital video course, church music group.

I think that covers it... 10 and 8yr old ds's will continue at public school to finish elementary school (unless something comes up and dh changes his mind and lets them homeschool also).

Our plan right now:

(DD age 5 ~1st grade)

First Language Lessons (1 and likely part of 2)

All About Spelling 2 (maybe 3)

ABeCeDarian Reading B-2 (I'm not entirely sure she really needs it, but we already have it)

Writing With Ease (1 and part of 2)

Right Start Math B (and probably part of C)

Miquon Math Orange and Red

Story of the World 1 w/activity guide (I love content subjects - no worry about how soon I'll have to buy the next level!)

Sonlight Science 1

La Clase Divertida 2

Song School Latin

Atelier Art 1

The Violin Book (book 1 through...whatever)

Literature: selections from SL K and 1 cores and AO year 1

Still undecided about PE - probably start out with swimming and dance (she refuses to choose between tap and ballet). Once winter comes I'll have her drop swimming and pick gymnastics back up, if I don't have to pay for 2 separate dance classes.

Who knew teaching accelerated kids was so expensive?:glare::001_huh:

I'm re-reading TWTM so my choices may not reflect its philosophy.

DD 12--ps

DS 10

Math--L of Fred Adv Alg then Geo

LA--SL 4 + Analytical Grammar (LOVE AG!), MCT Poetry

History--1850 to Present (created by me :blush:)

Science--Noeo Bio II

Latin for Children

Art, music, gym, science, drama, choir, chess club, etc--our co-op

Sports out the wazoo! rugby (summer), football, basketball, soccer

DD 7

Math--Horizons 3

LA--lots of stuff...maybe llatl, vocab connections, reading detective, MCT Poetry

Science--tag along Noeo Bio

History--1850 to present

Handwriting--Cheerful Cursive then Pictures in Cursive

Art, music, Irish dance, recitation, choir, chess club--our co-op

soccer

DD (almost) 4

I'll be trying to keep her productively occupied while everyone else does his or her work!

LLATL Blue

fun math

Why does it not look like that much when I type it, but I just know I'll be swamped trying to get it all together??? lol

Edited by Spetzi

After many hits & misses, here's our plan for the fall:

Dd8

Saxon Math 5/4

Primary Language Lessons

Cheerful Cursive

Piano Lessons

Ds6

Saxon Math 2

Copy Work (mom chooses from variety of materials)

Draw Write Now

Possibly will play football, we haven't decided yet

Both

Five in a Row, Volumes 1 & 2 (adding in extra read-alouds, as well as culture & geography extras--using Trip Around the World books, library, and the internet)

Five in a Row Cookbook--working on those culinary skills!

School year 2009-10 begins on July 28th. Here is my plan:

8th Grader

Artpac 8

Omnibus II (w/Streams of Civilization)

NT Greek

Wheelock's Latin

R&S Grammar & Spelling 8

Modern Algebra Book 1

Intro/Intermediate Logic

RS4K Chemistry Level II

CW Diogenes Maxim

7th Grader:

Artpac 7

Omnibus I (w/ Streams of Civilization)

NT Greek

Great Latin Adventures I & II

R&S Grammar & Spelling 7

R&S Math 7

Art of Argument

Apologia Zoology II & III

Write With the Best Vol. I & II

2nd Grader:

Artpac 2

R&S Grammar, Reading, & Spelling 2

R&S Math 3

R&S Music 2

Phonics 4 Piano

LLB Chemistry

SOTW Vol III

Here is our plan :

I. AP English Language and Composition - local class. Ds. tested into this one and so we plan to try it.

Analytical Grammar

II. Latin II and NLE exam

III. Algebra II/ Trig.

IV. AP Human Geography

V. AP US Govt. and Politics along with Omnibus III Primary readings.

VI. Debate and Speech

Science : Physics will be done in the Summer. Science Olympiad in the Spring. Anatomy and Physiology camp in the summer

Logic course in the summer.

Piano lessons, theory, recitals and participation in Music Festival

Martial Arts. Maybe a Drama class.

Oh I forgot we are going to attempt the Bible Bee.

My 6th grader will be doing the following:

Algebra I

Physical Science

Story of the World History ( continuation from last year), Runkle's Geography

Online Writing Course - not confirmed yet.

Few of the Omnibus III readings

Latin for Children, Elementary Greek

Science Olympiad, Drama

Piano lessons, theory, recitals, and music festival

Martial Arts

Becca will be in first grade on paper in July, but I have her in my mind as a second grader. As you can see, she's all over the board!

Right Start B

FLL 3

WWE 1 (we're using this as listening skills and extra handwriting practice)

AAS 3

R.E.A.L. Science Earth/Space

HO Middle Ages Level 1 and SOTW 2 (this probably won't be until later though - I don't want to rush through Rome)

Minimus for Latin, very wait-and-see how it works. I think I'm skipping the TM but I really want the mini books.

The Geography Book by Caroline Arnold

Harmony Fine Arts Grade 2

And tons of reading!

She's probably going to be starting Song School Greek as soon as it comes out. I'm thinking of getting the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker for some summer fun, and I'm going to have to break down and buy the New American Cursive II workbook. I'm not cut out for teaching beautiful handwriting without a little more help. :glare:

She'll also continue choir and 2 hours of gymnastics a week in the fall - she's asked to do soccer again and I'm still thinking it over.

Sylvia's my free agent and I'm playing things by ear with her. She's reading exceptionally well but is still a mercurial 4 year old, and unless she really begs for it, we won't do anything regular and formal. She'll take part in art and Song School though.

12yo (13 in June)

K12 Literary Analysis and Composition

TT Geometry supplemented with Jacobs Geometry

Conceptual Chemistry with Teaching Company Chemistry and LabPaq labs

United States History in a Global Context (my title)--US and world history combined using K12's Human Odyssey, Spielvogel's World History, and Boorstin's US History as spines. We will also be reading period literature and historical fiction.

A foreign language course through Keystone

Washington state history, art, and music (outside classes)

7yo

K12 Language Arts 4 and/or MCT Island level books

Singapore Math--finish 3A/3B/start 4A (maybe more)

K12 Science 4

SOTW 2 with *lots* of supplemental reading

Lively Latin (I think)

Art and music (outside classes)

dd12, 7th Grade:

Math: LoF Beginning Algebra, CLE 8

English/Grammar: Queen "Language Lessonsfor the Elementary Child 2" and Hake Grammar (Grammar is her area of struggle)

Literature: Books & study Guides

Vocabulary: Vocab. from Classical Roots A & B OR Vocabu-Lit 7

BGeography: Hands-on Geography, Trail Guide to World Geography, Draw Your World! (some combination, haven't figured it out yet)

Art/Music: 7th Grade Art & Music Appreciation from Harmony Fine Arts

Writing: Write Shop

Bible: Bible Memorization and Queen's "The Standard of Purity", maybe also an Acts Study she mentioned she wanted to do

Languages: Spanish and an open & go Latin (this will be her first year for Latin)

Science: Rainbow Science, plus she wants to do extra Chemistry

History: The Teaching Company "Early American History"

Music: Piano Lessons, maybe add in voice as well

PE: She has set up a whole program she does on Wii Fit and Wii Outdoor adventure. When it's nice out, we go for brisk 30 or more minute walks, etc.

Other Activities:

1) She and a friend started a mission-type "business" 2 months ago, and recently got a huge project to help raise funds for a special playground for autistic and other special children! It will be their own playground, it will have specific things which are safer and NOT scary, etc. They just spent 5 hours yesterday with a lady who helped them make a brochure and business cards. This will be an on-going project until the money ($30,000.00!) is raised. They meet once a week or once every other week to share progress and get ideas from the lady they're working with. She is going to teach them grant-writing, and fund-raising techniques, amongst everything else they will be learning on this, their first project!

2) Horse-riding lessons every other week

3) Volunteers at the local Humane Society once or twice a week

Edited by Brindee

This is the tentative plan...tentative because it's way more money than I want to spend.

DD - age 9 - officially grade 5

Spelling - Spelling Power

Grammar - Finishing MCT Grammar Town/Practice Town then Grammar Voyage/Practice Voyage

Vocabulary - Finishing MCT Caesar's English I then Caesar's English II

Poetry - Finishing MCT Building Poems then A World of Poetry

Writing - MCT Essay Voyage (read only) and IEW SWI-B*

Math - MUS Epsilon & Math League contest books

History - SOTW Vol. 2

Science - Apologia Astronomy

Logic - Perplexors

Language - Rosetta Stone Spanish

Art - Draw Squad

PE - playing outside, riding bikes, Wii

Literature - ?

DS - age 7 - officially grade 3

Spelling - Spelling Power

Grammar - MCT Grammar Island/Practice Island

Vocabulary - MCT Building Language

Poetry - MCT Music Hemispheres

Writing - MCT Sentence Island (read only) and IEW SWI-A

Math - MUS Epsilon and Zeta and Math League contest books

History - SOTW Vol. 2

Science - Apologia Astronomy

Logic - Perplexors

Language - Rosetta Stone Korean

Art - Draw Squad

PE - taekwondo

Literature - ?

Social Skills - Conversation with Character

My DD really should be doing IEW SICC-A or B because she finished SWI-A with ease, but I have SWI-B. While it would be a bit repetitive, it wouldn't cost anything. I could also just use the TWSS, so I may view that over the summer and use that instead.

I haven't decided what to do for literature. My kids both need work in "reading comprehension", meaning understanding what the questions on the stupid annual standardized testing mean. I was thinking of Teaching the Classics so we can just go on reading what we wish, using their method of analyzing literature. I was also considering Lightening Lit 7 for my DD but then I don't know what I'd do with DS.

DD the Elder (7):

Math: Zaccaro's Challenge Math and Becoming a Problem Solving Genius, Can You Count in Greek?, Alien Math, Theoni Pappas, and anything else I can find. These will be interspersed with LoF pre-algebra books as they are released, and some Mathematics 6 (Russian Math)... until I think she's ready to tackle Algebra. Neither of us is willing to devote more than 20 minutes a day to math.

Science:

The Elements

Carbon Chemistry

The Art of Construction: Projects and Principles for Beginning Engineers and Architects

Engineering the City: How Infrastructure Works

Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Tsunamis: Projects and Principles for Beginning Geologists

The Science of Life: Projects and Principles for Beginning Biologists

Latin:

Latin Prep Book 1 (we gave up waiting for Lively Latin 2 :( )

Cambridge Latin Unit 1

Logic:

finish Dandylion Logic series and Math-a-Logic

The Game of Logic by Lewis Carroll

continue on to final level of Venn Perplexors, and some other Mindbenders

History:

Continue on with History Odyssey Medieval Level 1. We're no longer really following HO anymore; History has morphed into mostly a read aloud course with HO materials used mostly as background for the next novel.

LA:

Michael Clay Thompson -- Finish Caesar's English, review Grammar Town, Paragraph Town, work through Practice Town, start second level of poetry.

Megawords Levels 4 and maybe 5

Getty-Dubay Italics -- start joins, hopefully complete them as well

Spanish:

Finish Learnables Level 3, maybe start Level 4

Skim SYRWTL Spanish, doing all the spoken exercises until most material feels awkward or unfamiliar

Art:

Art After Breakfast (our own creation), drawing from lots of project and technique books and freestyle days (the more the better)

Music: ???????

Current plan, subject to modification :). I will most likely miss things since I don't have it all in front of me at the moment.

9 yo (by then): SM 4 then 5 & MEP & CWP & MUS (we do a lot of math)

Some kind of spelling program (still looking)

Easy Grammar (because we already have it, and it is easy; I don't do more rigourous grammar until gr 5)

SOTW II

RS4K Physics, followed by science trade books

Latin Primer (we own it, he hasn't started yet as we're behind in starting this)

Rosetta Stone German 1

HWT Gr 4 Cursive

Swim Lessons

Tap lessons

Recorder

11 yo: finish Russian Math 6, start LoF Algebra 1 (or do both together) and also either NEM or Japanese Math 7

All American History 2

R&S English--she's already started the Gr 6 book and will simply continue

Rosetta Stone German

Latin Primer II (too much time on math, not enough on Latin ;))

WriteShop

RS4K Physics followed by Health with trade books

Swim team

Recorder

Can't think of the rest at the moment

14 yo: Geometry (either 1973 Dressler or Birkhoff or a combination)

Ideally will also do Mathematical Ciphers

Conceptual Chemistry (college level, non-mathy chem)

Latin (maybe Scholars Online)

German RS 2 plus some grammar, etc (RS not enough for hs credit so will add what we need to)

English: R&S grammar, literature WEM style, some type of writing program

Traditional Logic

SWB's hs text on ancient history (can't think of the title--have yet to buy it)

Recorder

Swim Team same one and ps hs one

I know there's more, but can't think of it right now and it's all downstairs.

Edited by Karin

7th grade DD

Math~

Chalk Dust Algebra

English~

Hake Grammar 7th

Complete LL 7 and go on to LL8 plus LL Shakespeare comedy

A few lit guides from Prestwick House

http://www.prestwickhouse.com/

Spelling Workout "H"

Vocabulary?

History~

K-12 History Odyssey vol. 2

Science~

Science 4 Real Kids Chemistry II and Thames Kits

Art of Argument

Spanish

1st grade DD

English~

FLL 1 + WWE 1

Plaid Phonics "B" + Phonics Pathways

Spelling Workout "A"

Reading aloud 20 min daily

Math~

Calvert Math grade 2

MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Program)

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary

/default.htm

Science~

Science 4 Real Kids Biology pre level + hands on kits

History~

SOTW vol.1

Oooh, I love seeing what every one is planning! Here's mine for ds5:

math - Singapore 2A/2B

LA - FLL grade 2 plus grammar worksheets occasionally, weekly assigned reading and AR tests through the local public school library, narration and dictation a couple times a week

handwriting - HWT cursive, and weekly print practice

history - SOTW 2

science - Usborne encyclopedias of earth and space, plus lab kits for earth and space (haven't decided what to use on those yet)

art - weekly pottery class

foreign lang - weekly Spanish lesson with a tutor

other - coop classes (not sure what will be available yet), museum & aquarium classes once a month, fieldtrips, and maybe once a week participation in the gifted program through the public school

Sadly, no music. I am musically impaired, and we just don't have time/funds to add music lessons with everything else we are doing. Maybe there will be music classes through the co-op!

Sadly, no music. I am musically impaired, and we just don't have time/funds to add music lessons with everything else we are doing. Maybe there will be music classes through the co-op!
And that's okay! As he gets older you might see if it could fit in, as it is good to learn rythym and things like that. There may be something else that ends up not being as important that you can cut, and stick the music in instead. :001_smile:

Really just more of the same:

'Hobbes' (aged 9/10)

English: Junior English 2/3 (Galore Park)

Maths: Junior Maths 2/3 (Galore Park), SM 4B, LOF Fractions

History: SOTW 3 plus Our Island Story and This Country of Ours

Science: Physics with Toys, Gardening, nature walks, maybe RS4K Chemistry

Latin: Latin Prep 1 (at a slow pace)

French: So You Really Want to Learn French 1/2 (ditto)

Greek: Still working slowly through the Galore Park Greek, then?

Mandarin: community school or tutoring?

Music: Recorder From the Beginning 1/2; various music theory

Art: Draw Squad

Memorisation: various, mostly poems

Logic: Logic Countdown/Liftoff

PE: running, Karate, swimming

'Calvin' (aged 12/13)

English: So You Really Want to Learn English 3; LL7; Shakespeare study

Maths: LOF Algebra; continuing review of previous topics with Mixed Maths Exercises

History: Classical Civilisation, leading to GCSE (high school) exam in June '10

Geography (taking place of science for this year) leading to Geography IGCSE (high school) exam in May '10

Music: various music theory plus guitar lessons

Memorisation: various, mostly poetry

French: SY French 2

Latin: Latin Prep 3/SY Latin 3/Lingua Latina?

Mandarin: community school or tutor

RE/Philosophy: Galore Park RE then Philosophy for Kids

Art: Draw Squad

PE: running, Taekwondo, swimming

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Ds(s)9-

MATH- Singapore 5A/5B/IP/CWP

Calculus for Young People

LOGIC- Logic Liftoff/Analogy Roundup

LATIN- Finish Lively Latin 1, then ??

FRENCH- SYRWTL French 1

LA- MCT Town series, maybe some IEW theme-based writing

SCIENCE- various science kits, coop, field trips

HISTORY- SOTW2

DS4-

ETC and Singapore EB, and any of the above when he feels like it

We tend to go down a lot of bunny trails so this is my general plan.

I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's plans. Unfortunately, this makes me realize that I need to get going on planning. I'm having a hard time planning, mostly because of money issues. DH is theoretically job hunting. If he finds a new job, we may be moving (again! we've moved twice in the last year), and we probably will have more money. If he doesn't find a new job, I probably need to find a way to earn more money. That would mean both less money for curricula, and I'd need to find stuff that the kids could do more independently.

That being said, these are my thoughts so far:

DS10 (Grade 5, 10 yo)

Math - LOF Algebra and NEM

Language arts: All about spelling, growing with grammar, maybe MCT poetry (expensive), maybe lightning lit?, some kind of writing

Art - ?? ideally ceramics class (very expensive) and art appreciation

Music - trumpet, piano, homeschool band, maybe chorus too, theory??

History/Literature - ?? not sure, ancients of some type

Science - biology of some kind

Foreign language - ???

Other - swim team?, maybe hockey, cub scouts

DS7 (Grade 3, will be 8 in Fall)

Math - Singapore (finish 3a, 3b, maybe starting 4a)

language arts- Spelling Power, GWG 3,

Art - ??

History/Literature - SOTW 2

Music - Piano, cello, homeschool orchestra, maybe chorus too

Science - Ellen McHenry's Elements and maybe more

Other - karate, Cub Scouts