Menu

What is your favorite grocery store?

I think it is only in parts of Texas, but Central Market is my fav. I love their more 'foodie' gourmet choices as well as their selection of European items. Their organic milk is tasty and cheaper than other brands, their produce is fresh. They also stock more types of produce than most stores.

Other than that one, I like Kroger.

Edited to add...we also buy quite a bit at Sam's and Costco.

I think they are only here in Western NC and into SC, but I like Earth Fare. They have a huge selection of organic products, great meats, and lots of international foods I couldn't find anywhere else.

I also shop at Ingles sometimes. They are also based out of Asheville, but I don't know how far they've spread.

When I lived in Florida, I liked Publix.

I'm a Harris Teeter gal, personally! They always double coupons up to .99 cents and almost monthly, they have times when they triple coupons. Their customer service is top-notch and their food is high quality.

:iagree: Triple coupons are the best! I also like Lowes Foods. The people there are always so nice.

I don't have one favorite. It really depends on what I need.

For overall general shopping: Fairway

Produce-Local farmers market

Premade food-Trader Joes

Staples: Shoprite

I have heard great things about Wegman's but there is not one near me.

I'm glad that you excluded prices from the equation -- because to my great embarrassment, my #1 is what my friend calls "Whole Paycheck". (The corporate title is "Whole Foods Market".) At three different locations in our area, I can count on being greeted cheerfully by one or more staff members who recognize me (by face, not by name). Some stop for a few minutes of friendly conversation. Customer service has been "beyond the call". Food selection and quality are, with rare exception, high.

For everyday shopping, I vote Kroger, depending upon the specific store. (One here was so dirty, and staffed by such discourteous workers that I refused to go there anymore, even though it was close to home.)

IF I could be so fortunate as to have one nearby, I would run to an H.E.B. There is a Central Market, somewhere miles away in the Metroplex, but I never have had time to go so far away. The nearest real H.E.B. is, I think, in Waxahachie. :(

Not for price, but for customer service, selection, and quality?

Is there a site like JD Power but for supermarkets?

Wegman's and Trader Joe's.

ETA: The customer service at the Wegman's near us isn't the greatest, but they still have a great selection and the quality is good. I've found customer service to be great at every Trader Joe's I've ever been to.

Edited by Shannon

Wegman's. There's no comparison. The employees are friendly and talk to my kids, not down to them (in general, every once on a while we get a dud). They have a really big health food section and lots of organic and even local produce. They are huge, though so shopping does take a while but their selection can't be beat. They are also cheaper than every other grocery store in the area, even the big national chain places. And it is clean. Our store isn't ery old, about 5 years old I think and they built a brand new building. Oh, and most important of all for moms of small kids, the bathrooms are extremely clean and not scary! LOL I totally sound like a commercial but we love this store.

Edited by MamaFran
fixed some typos caused by nursing toddler kicking the keyboard

I'd have to say Trader Joe's has the friendliest people. Harris Teeter and Lowe's are right up there with customer service. The Kroger I go to is really good, too. I usually shop at Lowe's because it's the closest to my house. We also go to BJ's every Sunday for a lot of things, and it's to the point that the deli guy and the head checkout person recognize my dh. :)

Ukrop's (pronounced YOU-crops)

I don't like them for price, but for everything else you mentioned I would say Price Chopper.

I grew up with Price Chopper- all my friends in HS worked there! :) I still shop there when I'm up that way.

Is there a site like JD Power but for supermarkets?

I'm not sure, but I think there is. There used to be some kind of grocery-shopper column in my parents' local newspaper, and my mom used to mention it whenever they mentioned Ukrop's. I'll see if I can remember and find it.

Edited by kah

Or Weggies as I sometimes call it. There are at least 6 other grocery stores that are closer to my home, but Wegmans has the best prices, selection, and customer service. I was really impressed on one visit when I asked a teenaged male employee a question about apples. I don't remember his answer, but I just remember that he was mature, friendly, and knowledgable. Every couple of months they forget to put one of my bags in the cart :D but other than that it's delightful.

When visiting my family in Western Washington, I adore going to Top Foods and Fred Meyer.

Here in Almost Mexico, I really like Fry's (a Kroger store) and Sunflower Market. I also go to Costco and the Base Commissary, but can't stand the latter even though you can't beat the prices on staples there.

I think it is only in parts of Texas, but Central Market is my fav. I love their more 'foodie' gourmet choices as well as their selection of European items. Their organic milk is tasty and cheaper than other brands, their produce is fresh. They also stock more types of produce than most stores.

Other than that one, I like Kroger.

Edited to add...we also buy quite a bit at Sam's and Costco.

I love Central Market too, but there is not one near me :glare:. My HEB does carry alot of CM products though.

Whole Foods, Central Market, and Costco. Whole Foods has great produce, Central Market has a large produce selection but it never seems to be as good as Whole Food's produce. WF has more organics too. But I do like the unusual foodie things you can find at CM. We also find lots of great, healthy choices at Costco. The customer service at all three is always top notch.

Not for price???? Well, then, the local Jewel. Some of the staff have been there FOREVER and we ask about each others kids, etc., plus they do hire the disabled as baggers. But I do the bulk of my shopping at cheaper stores (sorry Jewel). I love our local Caputos (local owned small chain - heavy on the Italian stuff and produce.)

Trader Joes is nice but they do not carry half the stuff I need, and their meat (roasts, etc) are too teensy weeny for a family of six.

Edited by JFSinIL

I love Whole Foods Market, but I end up buying too many expensive items so I try to only go their once a month (and it is not close by).

I do most of my shopping at Krogers. It is nearest and I find it is helpful to me to have one primary store where I know the brands and locations of everything to minimize time/effort and costs. Customer service is okay (depends on the individual but usually not too bad or too good). I also will go to Meiers, Walmart and Aldis for sales/certain products. No real opinion on customer service.

The store in my area that has the best customer service is a small local one with these sweet little old ladies as cashiers. Very friendly.

Here in Central Texas, I shop at a Super H.E.B. store, because it's just a mile from my house. It isn't my favorite, but it's so close. H.E.B. owns Central Market, which is my favorite, although this H.E.B. does carry many Central Market products. My second favorite is Randall's, which is a Safeway store. (How confusing is that?)

I am proud to say that Wegmans originated in our town and we LOVE them. There is no other store that compares to them in any other state we've been to. Their stores are innovative, clean, the employees actually know where everything in any aisle is and they, for the most part, are really, really nice. Wegmans all the way!