Menu

How are you feeling about the Swine Flu/H1N1 now?

It seems the media has really all but stopped reporting much about the swine flu - other than the deaths. I guess there is not much to report since there are just so many cases now. I think I read somewhere that they may stop counting cases soon and just realize it is a widespread thing.

My thoughts have changed a bit since the beginning. I definitely see the pattern with the deaths all being younger people. Ages I have read are 23mos, 13 years, 21 years, 33 years, 55 years (and I am not sure I read much about the other deaths related to swine flu...but for some reason it seems that those were young adults too).

I am not freaking out and wearing a mask everywhere I go just yet. I am also not staying out of public, etc. I do wash my hands and use hand sanitizer more often. BUT I do admit that I am concerned for my older son who will be visiting his dad in a couple of weeks in another state. I am also a bit concerned about summer camps since it seems to be kids who are catching this most often.

So....just thought I would post and see how you are feeling about it now...if your thoughts have changed in one way or another. :bigear:

What? What is this "swine flu" you speak of?

Kidding...

It never has worried me. I still insist on regular and thorough hand cleaning. Same as before, same as I will when it is gone again.

Lets talk about all the people who die from MRSA every year. Now THERE is something scary.

I am recovering from the one of the worst cases of flu I've had in years. So is my dd. Good thing she homeschools because this week she would have missed standarized testing at the neighborhood school.

Did we have swine flu. We don't know. We never made it out of the house. I was truly too knocked out to get to a doctor and have a swab of mucus submitted for testing.

The news report I read yesterday said there is a pattern toward obese and pregnant women being more severely affected. The theory is the reduced lung capacity these populations have causes more complications with the respiratory virus.

I think there is a threat out there for this virus, but I also think there is no reason to panic. I think the news stories of progress monitoring reported cases, geographic locations and improving basic hygenic practices are helpful to the public.

Now MRSA--I wipe down all the things I use at the gym before and after I use.

I have to admit I got all caught up with the media hype about it at first. I even went out and bought masks for my entire family to wear. I returned the masks (unused of course) to the store last week, now that the swine flu fervor has subsided.

Ask me again in the fall.

Me too. So far it doesn't worry me more than the regular flu does, which isn't much. But, the number of cases IS unusual for this time of year and they do continue to increase. I will be interested to see whether this comes roaring back in the fall as a major pandemic. I'm not worried about it, but I do think sometimes the lackadaisical attitudes of a pandemic like 1918 "couldn't happen now" are naive and that we ignore history to our own peril.

I think there are more cases than the media reported. Now I am making an effort to make sure we eat yogurt everyday. Also I am making sure we all take our vitamins, eat as healthy as possible, exercise, get fresh air, etc. I keep hand sanatizing wipes in the car, and make sure they are used as soon as we get in the car, along with wiping the door knob and seat belt. I know it sounds a bit silly, but I would much rather be safe than sorry.

The school in the next town where my 2 nephews go to school closed today for the swine flu.

I'm not altering my behavior much right now other than trying to be vigilant about handwashing etc. and making sure we all take our vitamins.

I do worry a bit about the fall when our levels of vitamin D drop off - they say the increase in Vit D levels in the spring/summer months boosts our immune systems and has something to do with the flu usually dropping off - interesting that this is so vigorous in the summer, and hopefully it'll burn itself out by the fall and not get worse as our immune systems wane...

Has anyone heard anything as to whether it's beneficial or detrimental with this flu to take immune boosters that increase cytokines? There was a lot on that earlier, but it was all speculation based on 1918 and bird flu. I want to know if someone got it if we should take or avoid my favorite immune boosters.

It's just another flu strain and the people that have died had other health issues. It's no different from the regular flu where people still die from that with underlying health issues.

I'd like to know what was really going on in the world while the media was envoking a panic over this stupid virus.

It's just another flu strain and the people that have died had other health issues. It's no different from the regular flu where people still die from that with underlying health issues.

I'd like to know what was really going on in the world while the media was envoking a panic over this stupid virus.

ayup.

donning my tinfoil hat w/ you......

well , it is in Australia now. there are 11 people with it identified. 2 of them have not been to America/Mexico and they don't know where they caught it from. No known contact with people that have traveled etc.

It is just the beginning of the flue season here in Australia. I personally haven't had the flue for over 15 years . Every time I have had the flue and I always ended up with bronchitis . some of my children have never had the flue at all, only bad colds. I really are not looking forward to a flue at all , mild or otherwise.

I used this recent swine flu scare as a warning to get my pandemic illness plans/preparations together. Whether this flu comes back in the fall or another one comes around in a year or two, I will not be out there running around scrounging for the last mask available.

It was very enlightening to me to see how poorly the reporting agencies did when it came to keeping up with the situation. Whether through inexperience, ineptitude, or intent, the whole testing procedure fell apart early on and has now been abandoned in most places, meanwhile this flu runs rampant. We are so blessed that this flu has not caused high mortality.

I don't regret for a minute that I paused and took the time to gather my supplies and prepare. Some say that people prepare out of fear, but I prepare so that I don't have to fear. Should this flu or any other come back, I can face it knowing that I have done all that I could to protect my family. I feel no need to appologise for having done so.

I do worry a bit about the fall when our levels of vitamin D drop off

Why is it a given that your D levels will drop off? I take D every day, year round - and monitor my D blood levels. You can, and should, insure that they stay optimal all the time- not just b/c of the flu either. Low vitamin D levels are linked to breast, lung, pancreatic, prostate and colon cancer...every cancer they've studied wrt D levels. It's likely that it's linked to all cancers (b/c of immune function).

D deficiency is also linked to autoimmune issues like MS, psoriasis, sjogrens etc.

nyone heard anything as to whether it's beneficial or detrimental with this flu to take immune boosters that increase cytokines? There was a lot on that earlier, but it was all speculation based on 1918 and bird flu. I want to know if someone got it if we should take or avoid my favorite immune boosters.

Your best bet is to optimize D levels to optimize (not necessarily boost) immune function. Those with overly active and weak immune systems benefit from D supplementation.

~Exercise to keep lung function optimal.

~Gargle with green tea (good in vivo evidence that it kills flu virus and reduces transmission)

~Keep *aspirin* on hand for adults if they get the flu (the salycilates could have a pos effect ito mitigating cytokine storm activity)

~have zinc lozenges on hand.....zinc gluconate seems to be a reliably good form of zinc....and no citric acid in the formula

~keep an elderberry liquid on hand like sambucol or Dr. Donner

~take vitamin d....1000 IU per 25-30 lbs body weight for everyone (yes, even the breastfed baby......last I calculated, there was a 2:1 ratio of cases in the north v. the south.

It's better to get it now v. later. No one knows how it will evolve. It could absolutely weaken itself out of existence. Or the opposite. It's a risky kind of virus b/c it's a mutation to which we have no natural immunity at this time (except for those who've gotten it).

A few general points:

Remember that the term 'pandemic' doesn't address the severity of cases. It only addresses the number of cases wrt geographic spread.

It doesn't have to behave like the 1918 flu virus and kill people to be a pandemic. it just has to spread rapidly.....and it is.

Those at high risk for pneumonia should consider keeping tamiflu, abx, bronchiodilators and prednisone on hand. I've had pneumonia 9 times in the last 7 years. I can always treat the viral portion of an illness with D, zinc, elderberry, oscillococinum. It's the respiratory infection that follows it that nearly kills me (and gets worse every time). The last two times i started to feel sick, we decided to go with prophy abx for me (which is really a struggle b/c generally i'm opposed)....but it worked. My viral illness was short (nothing really....b/c of the zinc etc) and no infection took hold in my lungs.

There's no benefit in worrying about it, but there is every benefit in being prepared.

:)

Katherine

I'm feeling really grateful to the nation of Mexico for the extraordinary (and economically painful) measures they took to contain this epidemic as well as they did. They in large measure shut down normal activity (businesses, schools, sporting events, all aspects of normal social world) in order to slow the spread of this disease.

It was an amazing response! And I feel grateful to the people of Mexico. Well done, and thank you!

I hope this flu remains relatively contained. And if it does, we owe a debt of gratitude to our neighbors to the south for their tremendous sacrifice. What an example!

Bill

I'm feeling really grateful to the nation of Mexico for the extraordinary (and economically painful) measures they took to contain this epidemic as well as they did. They in large measure shut down normal activity (businesses, schools, sporting events, all aspects of normal social world) in order to slow the spread of this disease.

It was an amazing response! And I feel grateful to the people of Mexico. Well done, and thank you!

I hope this flu remains relatively contained. And if it does, we owe a debt of gratitude to our neighbors to the south for their tremendous sacrifice. What an example!

Bill

except there remains the question of whether they actually contained an epidemic or just think they did.

except there remains the question of whether they actually contained an epidemic or just think they did.

The point is that the people and government of Mexico have taken extraordinary measures to slow or contain the spread of this virus. And have done so at great cost and sacrifice.

It remains to see if this effort is fully successful, but I shudder to think what might have happened with out Mexico's impressive response to this flu outbreak.

Viva Mexico!

Bill

The point is that the people and government of Mexico have taken extraordinary measures to slow or contain the spread of this virus. And have done so at great cost and sacrifice.

It remains to see if this effort is fully successful, but I shudder to think what might have happened with out Mexico's impressive response to this flu outbreak.

Viva Mexico!

Bill

Why shudder? most of their data was wrong to begin with.

The horse was already out of the barn - so to speak. While Mexico did take extreme measures, the fact that the virus had already left the country means that it's out there. The world is too small to contain a virus like this. It's just not possible.

The measures mexico took will not over the long term affect how H1N1 spreads in the rest of the world.

It's already out there....and spreading.

K