Menu

"Get well soon"

unsinkable

I don't like the phrase.

As if the person receiving/hearing/reading the sentiment will suddenly say..."Oh, fudge, yeah! I sure will! I just needed to read your card and I suddenly realize I have the power to 'get well!' And I just haven't done it! I'm gonna do it...soon!"

I'm trying to make cards for an inspiration wall for a dear relative that is dealing with a serious illness and I want to throw out all my rubber stamps that say, "get well soon." I'm so sad about him being sick that I want to take it out on my stamps.

I think Get Well Soon cards are for people with a recognized temporary illness. Like, I have a friend who had surgery and will have to take about 2 months to recover. I would get her a Get Well Soon card.

But for someone with a condition that will last a lifetime, then a Get Well Soon card is distasteful. That would be a Thinking of You card with a written note inside.

• Like 20

I think Get Well Soon cards are for people with a recognized temporary illness. Like, I have a friend who had surgery and will have to take about 2 months to recover. I would get her a Get Well Soon card.

But for someone with a condition that will last a lifetime, then a Get Well Soon card is distasteful. That would be a Thinking of You card with a written note inside.

I agree.

Also, I've always considered "get well soon" to be an abbreviated version of "I hope that you get well soon".

• Like 13

It is a wish like "Have a good day" that people say - it isn't a command.

But I agree, I wish there were other sentiment cards available. Sometimes the person isn't going to get better, and you need a card that says something along the lines of missing you/praying for you/praying for your comfort/whatever. 

Maybe you should start an Etsy business selling cards? 

• Like 1

I think technically it is an imperative (command) sentence but I know not everyone reads it or uses it in that way, that it people interpret it differently.

I do have other "thinking of you" and "you're in my thoughts" stamps. I can also leave the front without a sentiment and just make a card I know he'd like. I also have "just checking in."

The first one I sent said "You mean the world to me" which I could use for every card bc that's how I feel but I'd look like a dork. He knows I am a dork though.

• Like 2

My daughter has some chronic illnesses.  She'll never get well.  Sometimes she is better than others.  Right now she's bad enough to need a wheelchair sometimes.

We just kind of laugh when someone says get well soon to her.  It's automatic and really means they are sad she's sick and hope she starts feeling better.  It doesn't even dawn on them that she won't ever get well.

She especially likes the people who tell her it sucks that she's sick.  Because it does.

• Like 2

I'm struggling to find words to write to the 96 year old great grandmother in the hospital .....

Get well -- is not going to happen.

Feel better -- she won't.

Thinking of you --- sounds like a funeral.

It's hard.

I'm sorry.

• Like 1

I much prefer blank cards where you can write your own message. Though it can be really hard to find the right words to use. I think one's own words would be better than a mass-produced card, but sadly words aren't going to fix anything. Trying to show kindness and thoughtfulness is about the best people can do in some circumstances. 

• Like 7

I personally don't believe a simple "thinking of you" card is ever wrong.

FWIW DH--who is the one who will not be getting well--doesn't mind "get well soon" cards. He says it's a nice feeling knowing people are thinking of him and made the effort to send a card, and what the card says is totally secondary. Mostly I agree with him. I try not to over think. I'm pretty darn sure in my younger and much more clueless days I also sent a few "get well soon" cards to people I knew (or should have known) wouldn't.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

A couple thoughts....

Our society does not have stock phrases for serious chronic and terminal illnesses. We don't want to openly acknowledge individual mortality. So we get a kind of paralysis around the subject. And while we feel awful and horrible about the situation and want to communicate that, we literally don't know how. So we pull out the stock phrase of "Get well soon," because we do know how to say that.

Grammatically, the imperative covers more than commands. It also covers wishes, entreaties, requests. Look at the Lord's prayer for a Christian example. We are certainly not commanding God to do anything, but the majority of the sentences are imperative.

• Like 2

We had a friend that was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. He passed away last week after about 6 months. Even at the diagnosis, we knew it would likely kill him. I had the hardest time finding an appropriate card. I finally found one that was light-hearted (which definitely goes with his personality) but avoided “get well soon†because we pretty much knew he wouldn’t. :(

• Like 1

Those cards are amazing.  With a daughter with chronic illnesses, a dad starting chemo again for The Return of the Pancreatic Cancer, and a sister who battled infertility and didn't even get pregnant via IVF, several of those cards truly spoke to me.  Genius idea.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A little update:

Another person who was asked to contribute to the inspiration wall was specifically told to keep the tone of the cards light and fluffy. Because some cards were too serious and mentioned the illness too much.

This is why I can't function sometimes. I'm going to be worrying if my cards were "light" enough and if I mentioned the illness too much.

:crying:

I’m so sorry. :(

I hope your relative will realize that you had the best of intentions. Let’s face it, you did something nice while many people are probably doing nothing.

Don’t beat yourself up for trying to do a good thing. :grouphug:

She wasn't talking about the cards I had sent bc I hadn't sent any at that point.

But she didn't tell me light and fluffy so I am wondering if I was when I actually DID send mine.

Does that make sense?

She wasn't talking about the cards I had sent bc I hadn't sent any at that point.

But she didn't tell me light and fluffy so I am wondering if I was when I actually DID send mine.

Does that make sense?

That makes sense, but if you didn’t know about the light and fluffy part, you shouldn’t worry about it. Also, she can suggest whatever she wants, but that doesn’t mean she will get angry if your cards aren’t exactly what she specified.

Also, if you went to the trouble of making cards instead of just going to the store and buying one, that should mean a lot, too. It’s a lot of extra effort and it shows that you care, and that you spent time making something special.

• Like 1

That makes sense, but if you didn’t know about the light and fluffy part, you shouldn’t worry about it. Also, she can suggest whatever she wants, but that doesn’t mean she will get angry if your cards aren’t exactly what she specified.

Also, if you went to the trouble of making cards instead of just going to the store and buying one, that should mean a lot, too. It’s a lot of extra effort and it shows that you care, and that you spent time making something special.

I hear what you're saying, and I appreciate it!

But part of me is still like this:

:willy_nilly: "Light and fluffy! Light and fluffy" :willy_nilly:

• Like 1