Menu

s/o Well-trained Homes January edition--for those who want to level up their housekeeping game but aren't Flybabies

Laurie4b

When I wash sheets, I put them right back in the bed before bedtime. I save time by not folding, and I get the sheets put away every time.

I also save storage space since I don't need multiple sets of sheets with this method. Each bed has one set of sheets.

I do the same thing. I do have a winter set and a summer set, but it's one set at a time. 

• Like 2

I did two 15 min of decluttering/ putting stuff away in my bedroom, washed the dishes after dinner, and did some stuff in the living room. We're having company tomorrow, so I will just focus on straightening up the public areas. They are decent now, but the coffee table has a pile of stuff on and around it that I will need to attend to. I did most of the cooking for tomorrow as well. 

• Like 2

When I wash sheets, I put them right back in the bed before bedtime. I save time by not folding, and I get the sheets put away every time.

I also save storage space since I don't need multiple sets of sheets with this method. Each bed has one set of sheets.

Practically speaking, what do you do when someone is sick and soils their sheets? 

• Like 1

Practically speaking, what do you do when someone is sick and soils their sheets? 

I was wondering this, too.

Also, we had a time when we only had one set of sheets for our bed. More than once I discovered at bedtime that the sheets were still wet in the washer, because I had forgotten to switch them over to the dryer. :leaving:  You one-sheet families must be more organized with laundry than I am. :)

• Like 5

That hasn't happened around here in a number of years, but I do have extras from older sets. It is just much easier for me logistically to have a set per bed. Wash, dry, put back on the bed. Wanting to get into bed provides a kind of natural deadline. :D

If someone is sick and we know it, they sleep on a 4x5 waterproof pad. We have two of these pads, and they were originally purchased for my bedwetters. I only have one bedwetter now, so he sleeps on one of the pads every night. The other pad lives in his closet.

When the kids are little (11yo and under), the sick kid usually sleeps with a parent so we avoid most vomit messes. we haven't had any issues with vomit messes for the 13yo+ crowd.

Otherwise we just shift bodies around in the middle of the night and/or sleep on blankets until the sheet is washed. It really hasn't been as issue, even with a larger family. Not having extra sheets hasn't reduced our sleep hours in any way.

ETA: We live in MN so we do have extra blankets. Every bed has a blanket and a comforter plus we have lounge blankets...blankets are a necessity for us, extra sheets are not. :)

Edited by 2squared

I finally had this revelation a few years ago. I used to have 2 sets of cotton sheets and 2 sets of flannel sheets for our bed. Now? I have 2 sets b/c I liked the patterns and they were on sale, but I wash the set that's on the bed, dry the linens, and put them right back on. I like to air out my mattress too, so this is a win-win. 

today my goal was to get rid of some unused curriculum. i have listed it on an Australian homeschool site. some of this curriculum has been sitting unused on my shelf for 10 years. (where have all those years gone ).

I have also been sneaking some unused board games into the op shop bag.

This!  I need to do this!  I am a curriculum hoarder.  And because many of my family members are or were teachers when I announced I was going to be homeschooling I got a lot of stuff.  Then I went nuts with things I found on sale or at garage sales or at a Half Price Books that was clearing things out in another city I was visiting.  I have stacks.  I don't want to toss stuff but I haven't found local people that want what I have.  I even had an afternoon tea party, asking people to bring stuff they wanted to sell or swap and brought out a ton of my own stuff.  Tons of homeschoolers signed up to come.  Only three came.  And we all pretty much had the same stuff.  Grrrr....

So I guess I need to try on-line selling but I hear some nightmare stories about going that route...

(And for all you one sheet set per bed people, thank you for sharing.  That sounds like a great system and I tip my hat to you all and admire your confidence but I'm sticking with my rotating sheet system and rearranging my linen closet.  I feel a whole lot more peaceful knowing that second set of sheets is ready to go.  Yeah, I guess I'm weird that way.   :lol: )

• Like 2

I'm using Declutter 365 (on fb, but also emails) to get a daily schedule for decluttering. She recommends 15 minutes a day, also, and has monthly calendars. I'm trying to go faster and hope to finish a year's worth by the end of March. I'm finding I don't have so much to get rid of (yet - I'm still in the kitchen), but I've been giving way too valuable of real estate to things I rarely use, so there's some shifting about. Oh! And plenty of expired foods! Those are fun to toss.

This is the system I am using although not at high speed. I am trying to clean while I do my decluttering. So far, not too much to get rid of, but I've scrubbed inside and outside of every drawer and cabinet I've gone through. I've also been working on keeping the top of the island clean after cleaning out the cabinets in it. 

When I did the washcloths, I moved out the ones that I use for cleaning and put them under the laundry room sink. In order to make room for those, I halfway organized that. I found lots of half-used Drano bottles, a brand new bottle of shower cleaner that was on my grocery list, and some Body Shop body butter (no idea why it was under the laundry room sink?!?) So I'm saving myself some money while cleaning.

If anyone is also trying to lose weight while decluttering, there is a connection: https://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/how-to-get-organized-lose-weight-faster/slide/1

This is consistent with other things I've read. The basic deal is that people make more logical decisions in cleaned up clutter free spaces. You need those kinds of logical decisions to lose weight. Additionally, reorganizing so the healthy food is the first thing you see when you open your pantry or fridge increases the likelihood that you'll eat that, especially if youve let yourself get hungry. The one thing not to do is to leave cereal out on the counter---it's healthy (hopefully) but it is conducive to walking by and sticking your hand in and grabbing some. Your brain doesn't alert you because it's "healthy" but you can add a lot of calories without realizing it. Instead, keep a bowl of fresh fruit out and all other food out of sight. 

OTOH, if you need to be creative, being in a cluttered space is known to jump start creativity, probably because you're getting a visual clue that everything is "up in the air" and can be rearranged any way you'd like. :)

The guy from Clean Sweep, Peter Walsh, actually wrote a book about this.  Does this Clutter Make my Butt Look Fat?

In finding the link, it looks like he wrote another one: Lose the Clutter, Lose the Weight

I know that I personally do better on a diet if my house isn't cluttered - I get easily depressed when my house is out of control. 

I have 1 spare per bed size. So 1 extra Queen and 1 extra twin. I do the sheets go back on the bed, but this means that if needed, I have a spare. When the current sheets get worn, I buy a new set to wait in the closet. (Actually, my mom loves to buy sheets, so I usually get them as gifts). The twin beds (we have 3) do have flannel sheets and cotton sheets because they do not have heated blankets. I'm hoping to purchase some twin size blankets at the end of the season this year so we can ditch the flannel sheets. 

• Like 4

I gave up on trying to learn how to fold fitted sheets neatly.  Apparently it is a skill I simply cannot master.  So instead what I do is create a "bundle" for each bed.  I neatly fold the top/flat sheet and the pillow cases, and then wrap it all up in the fitted sheet.  When it's time to change the bedding, I can just grab the entire bundle for that bed.  It doesn't look neat and pretty in the linen closet, but it does stay contained and it works.

• Like 4

I have 2 queen sheet sets. The spare is really just for when I need to make up the futon for a guest. Then there are 2 twin sets for the boys plus a boy spare. Dd has a twin set and girlie spare set. Oddly enough I've never had to use the boy spare set. It was a hand me down from a relative so it's not bothering me that I've never used it. (As soon as I donate it, I'll need it.) The oldest kid, on the other hand, has used her spare set frequently. I don't know why that girl can't make it to the bathroom!! :glare:

Today's task is prepping the school room for starting back up tomorrow. We were going to start last week but all of the kids were sick sick sick! I should have worked in the school room in chunks last week instead of waiting to the last possible minute but I hate getting rolling on something and then having to stop to attend to other things. I'd rather just block off a whole snowy Sunday and knock it all out at once.

There must be something wrong with my logic though because I did this with my bedroom recently. I spent the whole day in there and decluttered everything. Closet, drawers, under the bed, all of it. Fast forward 2 weeks and its a wreck again. :(

I failed to finish the paint job, so this next week's goals mirror the first.  Finish the project, keep up with survival chores, pray I finish by Friday.

I'm starting on the bathroom before finishing the kitchen because I took down the kids' shower curtain and now they can't shower until I replace it.  Good motivation.  :D

The kitchen needs spackling, caulking, primer, and paint.  

Secondary goals are to put away all the Christmas stuff, and do our cleaning chores whenever we finish with painting.

ETA: Finally put away 3 loads of laundry that were getting shifted around the house.  I had the kids put away the Christmas stuff, so all I have to is the fragile ornaments and double check they did a decent job.  Bathroom is primed!!  Dinner is frozen bake-and-serve stuff, early bedtime for kids, and priming the kitchen for me (with oil-based stuff; ick).  

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 2

I have 2 queen sheet sets. The spare is really just for when I need to make up the futon for a guest. Then there are 2 twin sets for the boys plus a boy spare. Dd has a twin set and girlie spare set. Oddly enough I've never had to use the boy spare set. It was a hand me down from a relative so it's not bothering me that I've never used it. (As soon as I donate it, I'll need it.) The oldest kid, on the other hand, has used her spare set frequently. I don't know why that girl can't make it to the bathroom!! :glare:

Today's task is prepping the school room for starting back up tomorrow. We were going to start last week but all of the kids were sick sick sick! I should have worked in the school room in chunks last week instead of waiting to the last possible minute but I hate getting rolling on something and then having to stop to attend to other things. I'd rather just block off a whole snowy Sunday and knock it all out at once.

There must be something wrong with my logic though because I did this with my bedroom recently. I spent the whole day in there and decluttered everything. Closet, drawers, under the bed, all of it. Fast forward 2 weeks and its a wreck again. :(

Others have recommended A Slob Comes CleanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s books and blog in this thread and the original one. She tackles this very thing that you mention: all the work to get the space in shape, then itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a disaster again in no time. She talks about how the real shift for her came when she realized that housekeeping wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t a Ă¢â‚¬Å“projectĂ¢â‚¬ but a series of daily/weekly habits. You might enjoy reading/listening to her stuff.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m still working on this. Every day abd, definitely, after every move. As T.S. Eliot once said, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m always Ă¢â‚¬Å“dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good.Ă¢â‚¬

• Like 4

You can make a bed up with two sets of sheets on it if you have a waterproof mattress pad under each set.

Then if someone gets sick, you peel off the top set of sheets with the mattress pad, and then voila you have the second one all ready to go while you wash the first one feverishly.

Yesterday felt like a marathon of house work - putting Christmas away and then cleaning after so the house looked nice. 

Today I have an unexpected ice day off so I am going to tackle my office! 

Then I love the idea of spending 15 minutes on decluttering something else... not sure what it will be yet. maybe the linen closet and the apliance closet

• Like 2

Others have recommended A Slob Comes CleanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s books and blog in this thread and the original one. She tackles this very thing that you mention: all the work to get the space in shape, then itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a disaster again in no time. She talks about how the real shift for her came when she realized that housekeeping wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t a Ă¢â‚¬Å“projectĂ¢â‚¬ but a series of daily/weekly habits. You might enjoy reading/listening to her stuff.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m still working on this. Every day abd, definitely, after every move. As T.S. Eliot once said, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m always Ă¢â‚¬Å“dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good.Ă¢â‚¬

I've been reading the blog in the last few days. I only have had time to read 10 or so posts but I really do resonate with the issues she discusses. I think I'll keep reading.

As for today, I woke up to a sparkling clean kitchen thanks to doing all the cleaning last night after dinner. :) I also made my bed right away this morning, unloaded the dishwasher so all our breakfast dishes could go right in, and started the laundry.

I think with this being our first week back in the school routine I probably won't plan on decluttering anything. I'm going to work on the little routines and habits to keep the house tidy through the days.

Yesterday I printed and laminated chore charts for the kids to check off through the week. They seemed excited about them. We'll see how it goes. ;)

• Like 2

I MADE myself once again take care of the dishes last night, reminded the kids to carry their clean clothes upstairs and put them away, and I cleaned out one cabinet in the kitchen that I use daily.  I reorganized it so that it is arranged more logically.  It was a nice feeling to once again wake up to a relatively clean kitchen, no clothes to put away, and that cabinet well organized and ready for my morning routine (it contains many things but has my breakfast and tea items that I use every morning).

Today I am really scrubbing down the kitchen and I intend to tackle the master bedroom for 20 minutes this afternoon.  I will set an alarm. 

Goals for today for Master Bedroom:

• Put away the boxes of old papers/photographs/journals/awards from High School I had intended to sort through and toss.  I am not ready.  I have friends who died, friends who I miss terribly, great moments I want to relive, etc. and I just am not ready.  I got some stuff sorted.  I will tackle the rest another time.  Those two boxes make me feel bad when I see them so back they go.  At least it is down to two boxes instead of three.
  • Move the window screens to the garage.  DH took them out but left them sitting in our bedroom.  
  • Finish putting away the Christmas wrapping paper.
  • Put up the books I got for Christmas.

If there is additional time I will ponder what else I can accomplish quickly.

I wish all of you the best in your goals today.

• Like 2

What happens when you clean out something small that you haven't touched in over a year and assumed was nearly empty?

You may find some pretty cool things.  :)

• My favorite pair of scissors 
  • A hair tie I really like.
  • DS's missing tooth (no clue)
  • Over $3 in change.
  • A brand new chapstick
  • Unused cotton balls

and the grand finale:  MY GRANDMOTHER'S PEARL RING!!!!!!  It was caught up in the cotton balls.  Its been missing for over a year.  I'm in tears.   :hurray:

• Like 15

I read this thread earlier and definately want to join in. We are most likely going to be moving again so I need to clean through and declutter everything.

ETA: My goals for this week

- Finish Christmas takedown and put regular pretty things back- almost done!

- Declutter library

- Declutter kids toys

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 3

Yesterday was an official rest day, but since we were having company, I had to straighten up the common areas. The good news is that it only took about 1 hour to get company ready, and I only moved one small box of stuff back to the master bedroom! (Most of that stuff had come from the "stuff and run storage" in the MB anyway. I had brought it out to the LR to sort and had gotten most but not all of it done on Sat.

I've been doing the dishes after dinner though that wasn't a goal per se. I guess reading about it here kept it in my mind. For any of you who are also trying to lose "body clutter", an additional motivation is that if you get up and move for 15 min after dinner, it's better for your blood sugar regulation and hence weight. So I remind myself of that as well. 

I have been cleaning the kitchen while the microwave is going. Thanks for the suggestion, cjzimmer ; it helps a lot and is painless. It has the added bonus that I don't forget about whatever I put in the microwave!

Today, I have so far washed a load and hung it to dry. Putting it away is always my downfall! I also emptied the dishwasher and drain. 

And I'm just going to stick to my goal of 15 min in the MB. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

I have been cleaning the kitchen while the microwave is going. Thanks for the suggestion, cjzimmer ; it helps a lot and is painless. It has the added bonus that I don't forget about whatever I put in the microwave!

That was always m problem too.  I'd wander away get engrossed in the computer, forget or just wait to long, it would be cold, have to reheat,  I'd wander you can guess the rest of that cycle.

I haven't done a single thing since my cleaning some of the fridge on Thursday.  By Friday the crud hit in full blown force.  I'm sure it was some variant of influenza.  I pretty much spent the entire weekend  laying in bed.  Everything hurt, even my skin,  I couldn't sit up without feeling like my head would explode.  Even with 5-6 thick blankets (my electric mattress pad had to pick that exact day to stop working), I was freezing.  When I did wake up my pajamas felt like they had just come out of the washing machine.  I'm very weak and wobbly today but not sleepy so DH went to work.  I'm upright so the kids don't go too crazy. My agenda for today is to do absolutely nothing and so far I'm succeeding in my goal quite nicely.  I'm hoping by tomorrow that I will be able to grocery shop since I haven't gone since before Christmas and we are quite low on any form of veggie.  Otherwise, cleaning will start again when I can actually walk without feeling like I'm on a boat and everything is moving under me.

• Like 1

That was always m problem too. I'd wander away get engrossed in the computer, forget or just wait to long, it would be cold, have to reheat, I'd wander you can guess the rest of that cycle.

I haven't done a single thing since my cleaning some of the fridge on Thursday. By Friday the crud hit in full blown force. I'm sure it was some variant of influenza. I pretty much spent the entire weekend laying in bed. Everything hurt, even my skin, I couldn't sit up without feeling like my head would explode. Even with 5-6 thick blankets (my electric mattress pad had to pick that exact day to stop working), I was freezing. When I did wake up my pajamas felt like they had just come out of the washing machine. I'm very weak and wobbly today but not sleepy so DH went to work. I'm upright so the kids don't go too crazy. My agenda for today is to do absolutely nothing and so far I'm succeeding in my goal quite nicely. I'm hoping by tomorrow that I will be able to grocery shop since I haven't gone since before Christmas and we are quite low on any form of veggie. Otherwise, cleaning will start again when I can actually walk without feeling like I'm on a boat and everything is moving under me.

Yikes! I hope you continue on an upward swing. Hugs and good luck.

• Like 2

Tackled some of those baskets of clean laundry today --- purged my towel collection... I know we now have 15 nice bath towels for the 5 of us. I kept just 8 "trash towels" for cleaning up messes, 4 upstairs and 4 downstairs, and purged out all the bad hand towels that were all worn, stained and tattered too and still have enough for 3 for each bathroom. 

I am sure I have at least a dozen more towels about the house somewhere that haven't even been washed yet -- can't wait to purge those too. Also glad to finally get rid of the nice but smaller towels that have lived in the bath towel shelf, it was always awful to have one of those be the only clean one available after a shower. That won't be happening anymore! 

• Like 3

Tackled some of those baskets of clean laundry today --- purged my towel collection... I know we now have 15 nice bath towels for the 5 of us. I kept just 8 "trash towels" for cleaning up messes, 4 upstairs and 4 downstairs, and purged out all the bad hand towels that were all worn, stained and tattered too and still have enough for 3 for each bathroom.

I am sure I have at least a dozen more towels about the house somewhere that haven't even been washed yet -- can't wait to purge those too. Also glad to finally get rid of the nice but smaller towels that have lived in the bath towel shelf, it was always awful to have one of those be the only clean one available after a shower. That won't be happening anymore!

Along with one sheet set per bed, we have one towel per person. Even with a 1:1 ratio, we have towels in the linen closet because my younger kids don't shower every day/night.

• Like 1

A Slob Comes Clean's habit of running the DW every night isn't needed here, even w/ some kids home from college, but it's at least every other night. I have been good about cleaning up the kitchen every night and it's a nice welcome each morning. 

Yesterday I cleaned off the bathroom counter. That gets yucky fast. I keep a cheap microfiber cloth in there and just wiping up the water on the counter after I wash my face (didn't realize I get water all over the counter like that!) keeps it cleaner. 

I didn't get in a podcast yesterday. It really does help me to hear those. I'll work in one today for sure. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

Hi everyone. What a great thread. Hope it's okay if I jump in.

I initially wrote way too much. Thinking better of it now, and sorry if you waded through my long post. I have saved it for myself in my journal, which is where it really belongs.

Goals for this week:

1. Keep up with daily routine (I'm already decent at this but I should start earlier in the day).

2. Clean the clutter out of the kitchen or find ways to make it look better (winter boots, ski boots, etc.)

3. Vacuum the whole house.

4. Try to fix the dryer.

5. Add some beauty somewhere in the house.

6. Finish organizing receipts and tracking expenses.

Edited by Cosmos
  • Like 5

I'm in.  

This week:

1. Dishes before bed.  

2. Take care of as much of the mail as possible immediately when it arrives.

Mon    Tues   Wed   Thurs   Fri     Sat    Sun

Edited by Pen
  • Like 4

I'm a fly baby drop out that desperately needs this accountability! I got the Slob Comes Clean book from the library and it is the first system that seems totally doable to me.

I already have the dishwasher every night and daily laundry habits mastered. The sweeping everyday has gotten a lot easier for me since I got a roomba for Christmas. I need to take the next step and start doing weekly nonnegotiable chores like mopping, dusting and bathrooms. I'm also aiming for 15 minutes of decluttering a day.

We're having a birthday party this weekend so I've been deep cleaning all week. The test will start for me next Monday after the party when things normally devolve back into chaos around here.

• Like 4

Opening the mail, I found a credit card statement with unauthorized charges. I got to the point of taking care of it to the extent I could by calling the bank and canceling the card and starting the dispute process.  But I did not yet contact places that have auto payments set up on the card.  And, and... I think there may be other things that need to be done in this sort of situation that I am forgetting.  Ummm...  another is: I need to make sure that charges for places I do do business with are all correct.  

I need a good way of reminding myself that when businesses open tomorrow, I have to start the process of alerting places on auto payment.  A few, like Netflix, maybe I can do now if they are open 24/7.  And have to do anything else that needs to be done in these circumstances.

Ultimately I will also need some way to be able to file away whatever notes and so on pertain, and to be able to check back on it in a month to see if all is well.

Any ideas?

Opening the mail, I found a credit card statement with unauthorized charges. I got to the point of taking care of it to the extent I could by calling the bank and canceling the card and starting the dispute process.  But I did not yet contact places that have auto payments set up on the card.  And, and... I think there may be other things that need to be done in this sort of situation that I am forgetting.  Ummm...  another is: I need to make sure that charges for places I do do business with are all correct.  

I need a good way of reminding myself that when businesses open tomorrow, I have to start the process of alerting places on auto payment.  A few, like Netflix, maybe I can do now if they are open 24/7.  And have to do anything else that needs to be done in these circumstances.

Ultimately I will also need some way to be able to file away whatever notes and so on pertain, and to be able to check back on it in a month to see if all is well.

Any ideas?

You should be able to change payment options online for most of those monthly charges. We like to use gift cards for Netflix, and it's easy to add them online. Also, when credit cards expire and you get a new card, it's always been easy to change payment options (for ex: Amazon). 

As for following up, we have a "mail basket". Yes, I toss junk mail at the 1st garbage can I pass inside (and put in the shred box what should be shredded, ie apps for credit cards), but important things go into that basket.

I have had to dispute an unauthorized charge as well, and I write on a sheet of printer paper, noting the date, time, and names of all the people I spoke w/ and then write a summary of what was discussed. This has grown to as many pieces of paper as I need. I just paperclip/staple them together and keep them in that basket until the dispute is resolved. I know I'd lose the papers if I didn't keep in that basket w/ bills. 

Funny, I bought a basket just for mail after watching a 2 part Oprah show on a sweet little couple that hoarded. The wife was worse, but the hubby wouldn't part w/ bank statements that were decades old. That show had a big impact on me, and, as someone else said on one of these threads, I sometimes watch Hoarders for inspiration to declutter!

And I just listened to the ASCC podcast when she mentioned the book Coming Clean*. I will eventually see if my library has this. 

ETA: Good for you for catching those charges! We pay our credit card online (usually same day that we use it) and watch the charges and payments closely. 

**Not an afflitiate link

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

If I need to do something important, I put a post it on my laptop. So old school but it actually works.

Then for following up, I would put an entry in my google calendar in a month or so: "Check cc account" or something. Like Angie, I leave the papers in my mail basket until the thing is resolved, but that might not be enough to help me remember to take an action.

• Like 2

I set my two goals for the week - my closet and the school room.  The school room was more important to me so I started there.  I get things down to three piles and a few random things that need to find a home...something happens, someone needs me, and I have yet to make it back.  Walking in there is so I am just not motivated.  Does this happen to anyone else?  I know I will feel better when it is done.  But getting myself to do it is not working.

• Like 2

I set my two goals for the week - my closet and the school room.  The school room was more important to me so I started there.  I get things down to three piles and a few random things that need to find a home...something happens, someone needs me, and I have yet to make it back.  Walking in there is so I am just not motivated.  Does this happen to anyone else?  I know I will feel better when it is done.  But getting myself to do it is not working.

You're not alone. I am avoiding some piles in our MB. I try to set a goal of time (15 minutes on the timer or a 30 minute TV show) as I deal w/ one pile, but I am great at putting it off. 

My kitchen looks great, though. That is a small victory. 

• Like 1

I've been doing the cleaning and microwaving trick the past few days and its snowballed into other timed things. I stayed in the kitchen and cleaned up the baking mess for the 12 minutes the cookies were in the oven and I was done to the point you couldn't even tell I had just been baking BEFORE the cookies were done! I realized how completely logical it was to do that and I felt like a normal person there for a few minutes! "Oh, so this is what normal people do to keep things tidy! Its nice!" :laugh:

I've kept up with the kitchen, kitchen table, and floors throughout the house this week as we are getting back to school routines. I've also kept the bathroom counters clear, all laundry in the baskets, and beds made every morning. The kids were already good at making their beds as part of their morning routines.

I need to be thinking about what decluttering I want to do this weekend.

• Like 5

I've kept up with the kitchen, kitchen table, and floors throughout the house this week as we are getting back to school routines. I've also kept the bathroom counters clear, all laundry in the baskets, and beds made every morning. The kids were already good at making their beds as part of their morning routines.

Way to go! Adding a few steps here and there is making a difference here. I am almost at the point of cleaning while my kettle is heating and tea is brewing -- I at least think about doing it, lol. This morning, for my first cup of tea, I bargained that I would do so for later cups. :) I'll get there.

• Like 1

Just keeping it real and checking in to say that I probably won't make the 15 min declutter in the MBR today and there are dishes in my sink, but the day has been crammed full and I just got back from Zumba and she killed us tonight! I thought I could do the little bit that needs doing when I got home. 

It's the first time I've missed since this thread started, but sometimes things happen. The important thing will be what I do tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Rooms painted!!!   :hurray:   Not 100% professional-looking, but done.  There are still a few loose ends to tie up, though.

We moved all the displaced kitchen stuff off the dining table (where it had been for 9 days) to a folding table.  This made me feel SO MUCH BETTER about life; I wish I'd done that to begin with.  We did a survival session this morning: vacuumed with my new robot vac, washed the most necessary loads of laundry, and tasked two kids to get through all the dishes.  Then I had them organize the toy shelves while I painted in the kitchen.

Finally, I just cooked for the second time since the New Year.  And I cleaned up the kitchen after cooking (I'm in the struggles-with-that camp).  I still have 2 1/2 loads of laundry to fold, so I'm going to find something on Netflix while I do that.

• Like 2

I woke up this morning feeling good and had all sorts of ideas of what I was going to accomplish.  So much to do and I was all gung ho to do it.  Then I sat up and tried to get out of bed and my body was all like no way.  Still way too much boat action happening in my head.  I did manage to wipe down one more shelf in the fridge and clean out all the door pockets.  And ran 1 load of laundry.  I was hoping to be well enough to go to church tonight but instead I ended up taking my youngest to the urgent care to get a staple in his head.  He managed to gash it on a chair right after supper.  Once the bleeding stopped it didn't look to bad but I had no idea how to access this so figured it was safer to take him in and have it checked.  

I'd like to think tomorrow I will get cleaning done but DD gets her braces off so that will be about 2 1/2 hours with travel time and will have to come home to whatever mess the rest make in my absence.

• Like 1

Way to go! Adding a few steps here and there is making a difference here. I am almost at the point of cleaning while my kettle is heating and tea is brewing -- I at least think about doing it, lol. This morning, for my first cup of tea, I bargained that I would do so for later cups. :) I'll get there.

This is what I am trying to learn. Those ASCC podcasts have helped me in this. I realize I can get something done in just a few minutes. So the other day, no, I didn't have time to deep clean the bathroom, but just wiping down the counters and faucets made it look so much better. 

That's my new mantra: just a few more steps, just one more little job and it will add up. 

ETA to correct subject and verb agreement.  :svengo:

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 6

Today we had our speech appointment, always at 9am, and I didn't have to spend one minute stress cleaning at all. Of course, everything is far from perfect or even great, but it's enough that I feel like I can have someone over and not drown in embarrassment.  This was my motivation for starting in the first place, glad I have been able to maintain the progress that was made for several weeks. 

Next up, apparently BIL and SIL are coming over in a couple weeks and bringing MIL who apparently really enjoyed her visit over Christmas. So, that will bring on round two of tackling the house because I want it nicer for when they come by. 

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 7

Plenty of bargaining happening here, too. Or rather, rationalizing, which is probably worse.

At least the 3 baskets of laundry are clean... :glare:

I only really need to wash a load of towels today so its perfectly acceptable to start those at 9pm... :glare:

• Like 1

I'm loving this whole thread and seeing the different things people are working on, struggles, and successes, and also getting ideas for improvements I could make. As well as my days of the week check off in public makes for some self accountability to get my two chosen things done every day.

So far this more open system is seeming very helpful

:0, :), :0 !!!

• Like 3

I'm chiming in to sub, and to say that the discussions here have helped me get the dishwasher run every night before bed for the last few nights, and it's been nice to wake up to a relatively clean kitchen in the mornings! Now, if I could just figure out how to get the other people in the household to register the empty dishwasher and put their dang dishes into it instead of the sink... But that's a whole other post!

• Like 3