Menu

Lyme Disease Fears: Ways to Reduce the Risks (Update on Friend -189)

Spy Car

We don't have a lot of acorns this year. Is it possible the acorn cycle peaks in different years in different locations, just like cicadas? (It is fascinating to me that these things always have a cycle which is a prime numbers years!)

I think it's amounts of acorns prior year
  • Like 2

At this point, Mr. And Mrs. Spycar have adopted fetal positions in a corner of their house where they are quivering masses of horrified jelly oozing into a primordial soup of anxiety.

Dr. Hive...sometimes we awesome, sometimes we scary!

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 16

Yes. It's just not at SCREAMING PANIC LEVEL like in northern New England. My younger son got a Lyme tick in Ohio three or four years ago.

Darnit :(. I hate arachnids in general and disease bearing or poisonous ones in particular.

I was told the ticks don't go away in winter, they just go down deeper. That means you can still get ticks in the winter. I can sat that we see fewest in winter when it is snowy, next fewest right before and after the snow. Next fewest in summer. And most in spring and fall. There are a few weeks in the spring and fall when we stay out of the woods because they are soooo bad. The rest of the time we tick check. In spring, summer, and fall, we try to spray our pant legs if we are going somewhere particularly ticky, and undress on the deck and put our clothes straight in the wash. I don't count on that killing the ticks, though because as an experiment, I put a check through the wash one time and it was alive after a wash cycle. I suspect they can hang about in your house for months, if they get in.

Nan

• Like 2

At this point, Mr. And Mrs. Spycar have adopted fetal positions in a corner of their house where they are quivering masses of horrified jelly oozing into a primordial soup of anxiety.

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Poor Bill.

Just remember that, as with any other illness, you tend to only hear the worst Lyme stories on the internet. I had it (complete with bullseye rash), didn't treat it because I was a moron, made it all the way to stage two, felt like crap, and cleared it up with a round of antibiotics. Take precautions, of course, but don't lose your mind over it.  Imo, the benefits of being outside in nature far outweigh the relatively unlikely risk of contracting Lyme disease.

• Like 5

From everything I've read, southern new England is worse for ticks and Lyme disease than northern new England. We've been in northern VT for almost 15 years and have had 1 tick between the three of us over that time. And I'm vigilant about checking DS and I every night in the spring-fall. CT, MA, and RI are really bad though.

Which part of VT is your son going to be visiting, Bill?

• Like 1

Poor Bill, I hope he got the info he needed and has since bailed on this thread.

Oh dear. I had an unusual level of concern prior to starting the thread. But now? :D

Actually, today has been good (in a way). The wife, who I think figured I'd been an over-reacting nut-job on this topic was moved to call her friend in Vermont (who arranged for our sons to camp together) to get the "local knowledge" and all my concerns were validated.

And I got Hive knowledge. Scary? Yes. But better than being in the dark.

Thanks, sincerely.

Bill

• Like 7

From everything I've read, southern new England is worse for ticks and Lyme disease than northern new England. We've been in northern VT for almost 15 years and have had 1 tick between the three of us over that time. And I'm vigilant about checking DS and I every night in the spring-fall. CT, MA, and RI are really bad though.

Which part of VT is your son going to be visiting, Bill?

Green Mountain Conservation Camp on the shores of Lake Bomoseen (due west of Killington).

Is that tick central?

Bill

• Like 1

We live in a state that has a high concentration of ticks, which is unsettling, but we still do what we've always done outdoors.  We love to camp, hike, and picnic.  We've learned to be more careful.  We went camping over Memorial Day weekend, which is often the time when ticks are at their peak here.  Four out of 8 of us had at least one embedded tick on us, and a couple of us had several.  But, we checked ourselves carefully at the end of each day.  We'd shower (showers at the campground), check ourselves over, and have a buddy check places we couldn't see each night before bed.  I wore deet almost day (even at night), and only got ticks on the last day when I didn't put any deet spray on.  Some of my kids are anti-deet so didn't wear any and they got the most ticks.  But, they always found the ticks on themselves.

As long as we take precautions, we aren't very worried about it.

One of my dd's as well as my mother has had Lyme and another dd had Ehrlichiosis, but it was caught early, they were treated, and they never had further problems.  That was several years ago before we paid as close attention.  I guess we have been fortunate.  Another dd has chronic health problems (ongoing for years) and we've wondered if it could be Lyme related.  I do feel quite confident that nowadays, being so vigilant, the risk of Lyme is low.

Green Mountain Conservation Camp on the shores of Lake Bomoseen (due west of Killington).

Is that tick central?

Bill

I would guess not. I don't know Vermont well, but at similar latitudes in eastern Vt and Maine, we have had far less ticks than coastal Mass. And, as I said, high summer is better than that awful period in spring and fall.

A rather crazy suggestion, perhaps, but if I were you, I would take a black pen and make a small dot on the back of your son's ankle and get him to look at it. Pinhead sized. Tell him that is what he is looking for. Tell him not to panic and claw it off if he finds a tick biting him. One of my boys did that and clawed up his tummy well in the process.

Nan

• Like 5

Oh dear. I had an unusual level of concern prior to starting the thread. But now? :D

Actually, today has been good (in a way). The wife, who I think figured I'd been an over-reacting nut-job on this topic was moved to call her friend in Vermont (who arranged for our sons to camp together) to get the "local knowledge" and all my concerns were validated.

And I got Hive knowledge. Scary? Yes. But better than being in the dark.

Thanks, sincerely.

Bill

There's a middle ground between cautious and nut job.

Personally, I do believe the CDC is disgustingly negligent in Lyme matters. That said, I also think the "alternative community" is equally so. Reality lives in the in between.

• Like 5

I would guess not. I don't know Vermont well, but at similar latitudes in eastern Vt and Maine, we have had far less ticks than coastal Mass. And, as I said, high summer is better than that awful period in spring and fall.

Nan

Yup. My doctor recently mentioned that to be able to hike with fewer tick worries, we should go inland to Vermont or up to northern Maine. The coastal area is bad, though, but it doesn't sound as terrible as where you are in Mass. Ugh!! Edited by MEmama

Is that tick central?

Bill

OK, I looked that up, it's about 50 miles from where we were for a family reunion four years ago. We were camping in a woody area with about forty people including lots of kids for a week; not one person ever saw a tick.

We did see skunks...

Is that tick central?

Bill

Lake Bomoseen is south of me for sure, but it's gorgeous!! When I was judging gymnastics, I took classes there one summer and it's really an amazing part of the state. He's going to have a blast. 

My perspective is probably a bit skewed, as I grew up in RI, where Lyme has been a big problem for a long time. I remember one of my elementary school teachers had Lyme disease and that was back in the early 80's. So, for me, coming up here meant way fewer ticks. 

I've never had a tick on me and my house is surrounded by woods. If I'm going hiking or camping, I make sure to use Off Deep Woods spray and we always check for ticks nightly. 

I think your son will have a great time camping - try not to worry about ticks! Mosquitoes are way worse (not life threatening, I know, but I've had a ton of mosquito bites so far this season and no ticks to be found). 

• Like 1

AGHH

I hate ticks.

I had no clue that you could get them in winter.

UGH

Are there any parts of the country that don't have ticks?

Alaska! I've never seen one up here. Our mosquitoes are the worst in the country though, wa way worse than anything I've come across in Michigan or surrounding states. Edited by Arctic Mama

Lake Bomoseen is south of me for sure, but it's gorgeous!! When I was judging gymnastics, I took classes there one summer and it's really an amazing part of the state. He's going to have a blast. 

My perspective is probably a bit skewed, as I grew up in RI, where Lyme has been a big problem for a long time. I remember one of my elementary school teachers had Lyme disease and that was back in the early 80's. So, for me, coming up here meant way fewer ticks. 

I've never had a tick on me and my house is surrounded by woods. If I'm going hiking or camping, I make sure to use Off Deep Woods spray and we always check for ticks nightly. 

I think your son will have a great time camping - try not to worry about ticks! Mosquitoes are way worse (not life threatening, I know, but I've had a ton of mosquito bites so far this season and no ticks to be found). 

Last year in Killington VT, the boy was nealy eaten alive by mosquitoes. My wife had nary a bite. But the kid was a magnet.

This camp should be fun. VT Department of Fish and Game. Guns, and bows, and other dangerous stuff that boys love.

Bill

• Like 2

Last year in Killington VT, the boy was nealy eaten alive by mosquitoes. My wife had nary a bite. But the kid was a magnet.

This camp should be fun. VT Department of Fish and Game. Guns, and bows, and other dangerous stuff that boys love.

Bill

If he's a mosquito magnet, I'd be researching the incidence of West Nile Virus in Vermont -- I'm not sure if it's a problem there, but I would definitely check into it just to be safe, and I would be sure your son uses bug repellant.

I'm sure he will have a great time at camp! :)

Alaska! I've never seen one up here. Our mosquitoes are the worst in the country though, wa way worse than anything I've come across in Michigan or surrounding states.

I have heard of Alaska's legendary, vampire wannabe, evil flying werewolf mosquitos! Dayton doesn't have those so hey, that's an improvement, right! Focus on the good, focus on the good..

Says the woman freaking out because nephew just killed the third rattled in his Oklahoma backyard which makes me think that when their baby is born, I will need to use for custody on safety grounds!!!!

And he poked the darn thing with a stick...(Faith faints, heart stops, begins to move towards the light)

I just saw this on the MSN home page. It is a list of the 12 worst states for Lyme disease, and apparently Vermont is ranked number one on the list. I should add that I don't know if this information is accurate, but I wanted to post it here because I know Bill is concerned.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/12-worst-states-for-lyme-disease/ss-BBCHfwo?li=BBnb4R7#image=13

I have had Lyme three times, and although I try to take the approach of "precaution not paranoia," I will admit that I am to always successful at that. ;) I probably got Lyme in my own front yard, because I'm not exactly the outdoorsy type, but I have family and friends who spend lots of time hiking in the woods and they have never had any problems at all, so I try my best not to scare people unless they tell me they have already found an embedded tick on their bodies.

• Like 1

It's so funny... I think we all just get used to the risks of wherever we live. I had a pretty funny conversation about Lyme disease with a safari guide in Africa. He basically said it sounded really scary and alarming... but, of course, he lives and works in a place where malaria is still endemic and probably rarely thinks twice about going out into the bush, even in the rainy season. Just like, even though I live where Lyme is extremely common and have even had a kid have Lyme, I rarely think twice about going into the woods anyway. But malaria sounds super scary. But... I think that's because I don't live with it.

• Like 1

It's so funny... I think we all just get used to the risks of wherever we live. I had a pretty funny conversation about Lyme disease with a safari guide in Africa. He basically said it sounded really scary and alarming... but, of course, he lives and works in a place where malaria is still endemic and probably rarely thinks twice about going out into the bush, even in the rainy season. Just like, even though I live where Lyme is extremely common and have even had a kid have Lyme, I rarely think twice about going into the woods anyway. But malaria sounds super scary. But... I think that's because I don't live with it.

Malaria is exactly what I was comparing it to! I'm not from here and the complacency about this huge, devestating thing gives me the creeps. Like oh yeah Lyme disease as if it's like having a cold.

As someone on Day 18 of my 28 day course of antibiotics for an advanced/severe case of disseminated Lyme Disease (caught in my own yard, in a "low risk" state . . .) and having lived through HELL AND BACK of ER visits/meningitis/excruciating pain .  . . .

I know a few things.

1) 40%+ DEET spray on exposed skin!! Repeat every 5 hours. 

2) Light colored clothing.

3) Treat all his outerwear/shoes/gear/hats/pants/shirts with Permethrin based sprays. Search Amazon. You spray it, it dries, it's good for 6 weeks and/or 6 washes. 

4) Tick check EVERY SINGLE day -- have a partner check inaccessible places. My bite was on the back of my upper arm . . .

5) A daily shower (scrub with a washcloth) will help reduce likelihood of a tick staying attached. (24 hours or so is required for disease transmission)

6) BE ON THE LOOKOUT for any flu-like symptoms and/or any rash! DEMAND Lyme test/treatment. (It took me 2 ER visits, one overnight hospitalization, and THREE primary care visits to achieve my test . . .)

FEAR LYME. You cannot be overly fearful. Truly. This is NOT the time to be chemical-averse. Ticks are DEVILS.

• Like 2

We live in tick country and live in the woods. I am pulling multiple ticks of kids/adults/pets daily. It's just a part of life here.

My best advice is rubber boots, pants, and a lint roller. The lint roller has been life changing. We all use it as soon as we come inside - even on hairy man legs if necessary. Usually get 5-20 ticks off of us with the lint roller each day. 

• Like 2

Regarding malaria, as it turns out, babesia (often tags along with lyme) shares similarities with malaria and some malaria medicines are used to treat babesiosis (aka Nantucket Fever; we return to the little island in a few weeks :))

• Like 2

This stuff is great and the highest rated by Consumer Reports. Works on ticks, biting flies, and mosquitoes for 8-12 hours. Also it doesn't smell bad like most repellants. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP544-Repellent-Picaridin/dp/B0015KG5NK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498441547&sr=8-3&keywords=sawyer+insect+repellent

Here is the ranking by Consumer Reports - it shows the Sawyer Picaridin does better against ticks than Deet. http://www.consumerreports.org/products/insect-repellent/ratings-overview/

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

As an update, I thought you'd all like to know that the boy flew out this morning with his clothes so thoroughly doused with Pyrethrin and armed with enough 100% DEET that Rachael Carson may need to rise from the dead to write the Silent Spring Part II.

I hope you all are proud of yourselves  :tongue_smilie:  

Bill

• Like 21

We live in CT--tick central. I'm the only one in my immediate family that has had Lyme, and we are outside a lot/hike often. Never saw a tick but had classic cold/fatigue symptoms, horrid headaches. Even in CT my doc dismissed me. I left for vacation in the middle of it, and one day found I was covered with about 20 quarter size perfectly round red spots on my torso and thighs. Called my doc (an on call doc actually answered) and they had me start antibiotics immediately and get tested. And yup, it was Lyme. DH and DS find them on their body a lot (especially in sensitive areas!) We take precautions but mostly just check ourselves all.the.time. Since we adopted 2 dogs, I'm more worried, since they can bring them into the house, though they have the larger dog ticks most of the time. We do have a flock of chickens that we free range, and I do believe that has helped. I think the most important thing is to check yourself every day, and if you show symptoms get diagnosed and treated asap. Interestingly we are traveling through Europe now and I pulled a tiny tick off me in Switzerland. Trying not to worry about it--do they have Lyme there?

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 1

William currently has the shortest haircut he's had in years. Still moderately long.

I suggested that since his new sport is water polo (going great!) that maybe we should just shave his head? It would make him sleek in the water and make spotting ticks easier.

Mrs Spy Car was horrified by the suggestion and has branded me a fanatic :D

Suggestions to purchase Deet and Pyrethrin (to treat his clothes) also met with a...how do it put it?...less than a desirable response. However, after the fireworks cooled, I got a call from mother and son who were out shopping in the backpacking store to make sure they were getting the correct products.

We are California hippies only so long as we are within the confines of the Golden State, and otherwise, will douse the kiddo with sufficient pesticides to deal with the Other America :p

Bill

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but you can buy clothes pretreated with permethrin. Ex Officio sells shirts and pants both, I can find them at my local outdoors store and I'm sure REI has them too.

Also, get a tick key for him. I have removed a dozen ticks from my kids this summer, the tick key is the easiest method. Oh, and no one has gotten Lyme. I think removing them right away helps.

ETA I see he is already off on his trip. Fingers are crossed he stays tick free!

Edited by Rach

. Interestingly we are traveling through Europe now and I pulled a tiny tick off me in Switzerland. Trying not to worry about it--do they have Lyme there?

Yes, they do.

And not to freak you out, but: they also have a tick borne encephalitis (FSME - early summer menningo-encephalitis) which is much worse. Occurs mostly in wooded areas, the low lying parts of Switzerland, Austria, and Southern Germany, less so in the mountains. Here is a map for Switzerland

http://www.zecken.ch/Karten/karten.html

dark green is high risk, light green is area where the virus exists. If you're there longer, get the vaccine which is recommended for all people who spend significant time outdoors in risk areas.

Edited by regentrude

As an update, I thought you'd all like to know that the boy flew out this morning with his clothes so thoroughly doused with Pyrethrin and armed with enough 100% DEET that Rachael Carson may need to rise from the dead to write the Silent Spring Part II.

I hope you all are proud of yourselves :tongue_smilie:

Bill

He will have a wonderful time!

Just don't forget to wrap him in plastic when you pick him up from the airport. No wait, that's bedbugs....

(Seriously, he will have fun. And it sounds like the ticks will run away screaming.)

• Like 3

As an update, I thought you'd all like to know that the boy flew out this morning with his clothes so thoroughly doused with Pyrethrin and armed with enough 100% DEET that Rachael Carson may need to rise from the dead to write the Silent Spring Part II.

I hope you all are proud of yourselves  :tongue_smilie:  

Bill

Honored to have been a part of your assimilation into the Borg!

:biggrinjester:

• Like 1

William currently has the shortest haircut he's had in years. Still moderately long.

I suggested that since his new sport is water polo (going great!) that maybe we should just shave his head? It would make him sleek in the water and make spotting ticks easier.

Mrs Spy Car was horrified by the suggestion and has branded me a fanatic :D

Suggestions to purchase Deet and Pyrethrin (to treat his clothes) also met with a...how do it put it?...less than a desirable response. However, after the fireworks cooled, I got a call from mother and son who were out shopping in the backpacking store to make sure they were getting the correct products.

We are California hippies only so long as we are within the confines of the Golden State, and otherwise, will douse the kiddo with sufficient pesticides to deal with the Other America :p

Bill

LOLOL, your description of the horror your family responded with cracks me up. In exactly the same boat here, even after they witnessed my own disastrous and devastatingly painful bout with Lyme!! 

I have raised my kids to be chemical averse . . . and yet, am now, loudly espousing the wonders of some of the nastier chemicals commercially available. 

Tomorrow, I'm hosting a "tick tube making festival" during which I, and several equally crunchy, organic, grass-fed-meats mommas . . . will cheerfully don gloves (+/- hazmat suits, lol) to treat gear, clothes, etc in permethrin and assemble hundreds of "tick tubes" which are tubes filled with permethrin-treated cotton which happy little mice will then take for their nests, killing ticks on their favored host, which are actually mice, not deer. (Google for instructions!) I bought enough concentrated permethrin to make oh, 15 gallons or so of diluted permethrin with which to treat clothing, etc. It sounds very insane . . . until you face Lyme up close and personal . . . and suddenly, pesticides are my new best friend. 

• Like 6

LOLOL, your description of the horror your family responded with cracks me up. In exactly the same boat here, even after they witnessed my own disastrous and devastatingly painful bout with Lyme!!

I have raised my kids to be chemical averse . . . and yet, am now, loudly espousing the wonders of some of the nastier chemicals commercially available.

Tomorrow, I'm hosting a "tick tube making festival" during which I, and several equally crunchy, organic, grass-fed-meats mommas . . . will cheerfully don gloves (+/- hazmat suits, lol) to treat gear, clothes, etc in permethrin and assemble hundreds of "tick tubes" which are tubes filled with permethrin-treated cotton which happy little mice will then take for their nests, killing ticks on their favored host, which are actually mice, not deer. (Google for instructions!) I bought enough concentrated permethrin to make oh, 15 gallons or so of diluted permethrin with which to treat clothing, etc. It sounds very insane . . . until you face Lyme up close and personal . . . and suddenly, pesticides are my new best friend.

This is us, too, until Lyme. Now when DS goes mountain biking, he asks me first to "douse him in chemicals"...we make light of it, obviously not feeling exactly good about doing it. I've been forced to admit that spraying him down in DEET for a couple hours beats going through Lyme again, or worse.

I like the tick tube idea--I'd never heard of those! I wonder how to make them for chipmunks...

• Like 3

We use tick tubes.  They have radically reduced the number of ticks in my sister's yard.  I can't tell the difference in my yard because I don't have many in the first place.  We used to wear skirts and check our bare legs (so no place to hide) every few steps as we walked across her lawn, fifteen years ago or so.  Now we hardly ever find ticks in her short grass.  She even lets her cat inside in the summer time now.  The cat used to have so many ticks on his face during the day that she made the cat choose inside or outside once the snow melted for good and all.  We've all had lymes multiple times and haven't had a problem with it.  Not making light of it - we know people who have had horrible cases and we figure we are playing with fire, sort of, continuing to live in this area, but those tick tubes have helped a TON.  We are way better at checking and avoiding now and haven't gotten lymes for years now (whispering).  We don't have any trouble at all getting tested and treated in our area.  Sigh.

Nan

• Like 1

I actually cruised my local OSH hardware store's pesticide aisle (a place I ordinarily avoid like the plague) to see if I could purchase some industrial strength Pyrethrin to dilute down to soaking strength. But no luck. 

Then we were nearly killed on Wednesday by an oblivious driver in an SUV who made an illegal left right in front of me with the boy at my side in the passenger seat.

Fortunately—not to brag—my reflexes were lightning fast and I missed having a head on by a fraction of a second. The boy was shaken, but he has newfound respect for his old man (a guy who can't control a car with an X-box controller, but knows how to drive a real car).

Scary. But overall I'll take LA drivers over ticks.

Be careful out there.

Bill (almost a goner)

• Like 2