Menu

Lyme Disease Fears: Ways to Reduce the Risks (Update on Friend -189)

Spy Car

I actually cruised my local OSH hardware store's pesticide aisle (a place I ordinarily avoid like the plague) to see if I could purchase some industrial strength Pyrethrin to dilute down to soaking strength. But no luck.

Then we were nearly killed on Wednesday by an oblivious driver in an SUV who made an illegal left right in front of me with the boy at my side in the passenger seat.

Fortunately—not to brag—my reflexes were lightning fast and I missed having a head on by a fraction of a second. The boy was shaken, but he has newfound respect for his old man (a guy who can't control a car with an X-box controller, but knows how to drive a real car).

Scary. But overall I'll take LA drivers over ticks.

Be careful out there.

Bill (almost a goner)

Glad you are ok!

I actually cruised my local OSH hardware store's pesticide aisle (a place I ordinarily avoid like the plague) to see if I could purchase some industrial strength Pyrethrin to dilute down to soaking strength. But no luck. 

Then we were nearly killed on Wednesday by an oblivious driver in an SUV who made an illegal left right in front of me with the boy at my side in the passenger seat.

Fortunately—not to brag—my reflexes were lightning fast and I missed having a head on by a fraction of a second. The boy was shaken, but he has newfound respect for his old man (a guy who can't control a car with an X-box controller, but knows how to drive a real car).

Be careful out there.

Bill (almost a goner)

Oh my gosh! That's so scary!! So glad you stayed safe!!!!! Yoikes!!!!

FWIW, if you want industrial strength permethrin at a later date  . . . This is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IMO3I2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 2

We live in CT--tick central. I'm the only one in my immediate family that has had Lyme, and we are outside a lot/hike often. Never saw a tick but had classic cold/fatigue symptoms, horrid headaches. Even in CT my doc dismissed me. I left for vacation in the middle of it, and one day found I was covered with about 20 quarter size perfectly round red spots on my torso and thighs. Called my doc (an on call doc actually answered) and they had me start antibiotics immediately and get tested. And yup, it was Lyme. DH and DS find them on their body a lot (especially in sensitive areas!) We take precautions but mostly just check ourselves all.the.time. Since we adopted 2 dogs, I'm more worried, since they can bring them into the house, though they have the larger dog ticks most of the time. We do have a flock of chickens that we free range, and I do believe that has helped. I think the most important thing is to check yourself every day, and if you show symptoms get diagnosed and treated asap. Interestingly we are traveling through Europe now and I pulled a tiny tick off me in Switzerland. Trying not to worry about it--do they have Lyme there?

DS has pulled two ticks off him after school hikes in Switzerland this summer. That's two more than I've pulled from my DD here in same period of time and we've been hiking. I don't think they have Lyme there but other tick-borne diseases. I worry slightly bc the kids there are vaccinated for those diseases and DS obviously is not. We also free range chickens for tick purposes but I lose like one a month. Like today 😢 Edited by madteaparty

I actually cruised my local OSH hardware store's pesticide aisle (a place I ordinarily avoid like the plague) to see if I could purchase some industrial strength Pyrethrin to dilute down to soaking strength. But no luck.

Fortunately—not to brag—my reflexes were lightning fast and I missed having a head on by a fraction of a second. The boy was shaken, but he has newfound respect for his old man (a guy who can't control a car with an X-box controller, but knows how to drive a real car).

Be careful out there.

Bill (almost a goner)

Oh my goodness Bill!!! So very glad you managed to drive out of that nightmare! Edited by FaithManor

DS has pulled two ticks off him after school hikes in Switzerland this summer. That's two more than I've pulled from my DD here in same period of time and we've been hiking. I don't think they have Lyme there but other tick-borne diseases.

Actually, they do. The Swiss health department reports an estimate of 10,000 lyme cases in Switzerland per year.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/de/home/themen/mensch-gesundheit/uebertragbare-krankheiten/infektionskrankheiten-a-z/borreliose-lyme-krankheit.html

Actually, they do. The Swiss health department reports an estimate of 10,000 lyme cases in Switzerland per year.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/de/home/themen/mensch-gesundheit/uebertragbare-krankheiten/infektionskrankheiten-a-z/borreliose-lyme-krankheit.html

Interesting. Thankfully DS is very tick aware. I will watch him closely the next couple of weeks until he leaves again. Thanks for posting the info.

Ugh, that stinks. We were up in the mountains (Wengen) but not too far from the areas on the map that you posted earlier in the thread. We've left the country now, but I'll be vigilant about any signs of disease...

We live in CT--tick central. I'm the only one in my immediate family that has had Lyme, and we are outside a lot/hike often. Never saw a tick but had classic cold/fatigue symptoms, horrid headaches. Even in CT my doc dismissed me. I left for vacation in the middle of it, and one day found I was covered with about 20 quarter size perfectly round red spots on my torso and thighs. Called my doc (an on call doc actually answered) and they had me start antibiotics immediately and get tested. And yup, it was Lyme. 

Yikes! Three years ago dd had those symptoms (the red spots on her thighs!)... and wicked sore throat and double ear infections... pediatrician said she didn't know what it was. We treated for the throat/ear infection with antibiotics and then watched symptoms go away... but it took weeks! I remember how tired she was... She was never tested for Lyme! I wonder if I should talk to the pediatrician about this. She has no symptoms now, but what if she were to test positive? 

In a very unexpected turn of events, the old friend of hers that my wife is staying with in Vermont (our boys are the same age and going camp together) had been having a few health issues lately. Bad headaches, etc.

This woman is a marvel of energy. She is a single mom, keeps a home-farm with ducks and chickens and grows much of their own food. She also runs a business (selling Vermont produced clothes of her design), looms the most amazing textiles imaginable, and homeschools her son. And is an exercise-nut to boot. I'm not sure if this woman sleeps. One of those types.

Well on the way home from the airport this friend asked my wife if she'd mind stopping by the country doctor's office? They wanted to speak with her.

The bombshell news was the tests, MRI and other basic diagnostics, are pointing to MS. Our friend is reeling, as any human would be. I'm glad my wife—who is a very sympathetic person—is there for her. What terrible news.

Yet another reminder to enjoy life while you can.

Bill

Oh no. I am glad your wife is there your your friend.

We are actually having lunch today with my DH's best friend from high school. He was diagnosed with MS 12 years ago. He is doing well, and I wouldn't know except we are friends and his wife has become my friend and I was there to listen.

And to bring it back to ticks...we are on our way to northern Michigan where I am going to be checking kids for ticks all the time.

In a very unexpected turn of events, the old friend of hers that my wife is staying with in Vermont (our boys are the same age and going camp together) had been having a few health issues lately. Bad headaches, etc.

This woman is a marvel of energy. She is a single mom, keeps a home-farm with ducks and chickens and grows much of their own food. She also runs a business (selling Vermont produced clothes of her design), looms the most amazing textiles imaginable, and homeschools her son. And is an exercise-nut to boot. I'm not sure if this woman sleeps. One of those types.

Well on the way home from the airport this friend asked my wife if she'd mind stopping by the country doctor's office? They wanted to speak with her.

The bombshell news was the tests, MRI and other basic diagnostics, are pointing to MS. Our friend is reeling, as any human would be. I'm glad my wife—who is a very sympathetic person—is there for her. What terrible news.

Yet another reminder to enjoy life while you can.

Bill

In a very unexpected turn of events, the old friend of hers that my wife is staying with in Vermont (our boys are the same age and going camp together) had been having a few health issues lately. Bad headaches, etc.

Bill

Please express my sympathy to Mrs. Spycar for her friend. That is not easy news to receive.

Definitely we need to enjoy life where we can.

Bill, if Mrs. S's friend has a website please pm the link to me. I am always looking for made in USA products and have a few friends that do as well, with the bank account flush enough to pay for artisan products. I will circle her information.

• Like 2

Please express my sympathy to Mrs. Spycar for her friend. That is not easy news to receive.

Bill, if Mrs. S's friend has a website please pm the link to me. I am always looking for made in USA products and have a few friends that do as well, with the bank account flush enough to pay for artisan products. I will circle her information.

PM sent.

Bill

Bill

Regarding MS, your wife's friend might want to check out research scientist Valter Longo's studies regarding fasting and regeneration of myelin. Very interesting. If your friend decides to try Longo's protocol of fasting, one of the best places to do so while being medically supervised is in California -- Alan Goldhamer's clinic.

https://news.usc.edu/101187/diet-that-mimics-fasting-may-also-reduce-multiple-sclerosis-symptoms/

Rhonda Patrick (another scientist) interviewing Longo. Long but good.

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/news/s/unw30d/valter_longo_ph_d_on_fasting-mimicking_diet_fasting_for_longevity_cancer_multiple_sclerosis_-_youtube

We love tick tubes here.

And I have just removed my hazmat suit from dousing clothes and gear in permethrin.

The joys of having experienced Lyme.

We also spray our yard for ticks, but can't do the entire property that way.

Honestly, we were crunchy organic until Lyme. Not anymore.

• Like 3

In a very unexpected turn of events, the old friend of hers that my wife is staying with in Vermont (our boys are the same age and going camp together) had been having a few health issues lately. Bad headaches, etc.

Bill, I'm very sorry to hear about your wife's friend's condition.

When DS17 was 12 and in the throws of treatment for Lyme disease, he wrote a speech for his forensics club on the disease in which he mined some quotes from the movie "Under Our Skin".  I thought the following quotes were pertinent for your post:

Alzheimer's, Lou Gehrig's disease, Parkinson's disease, Multiple Sclerosis.  Those are named conditions for which no cause is now known.  Since spirochetes can cause neurodegenerative diseases in syphilis, could it be that this spirochetal infection, Lyme disease, is partly or wholly responsible for some of the degenerative diseases we've faced in this century?

That quote was from Dr. Alan MacDonald, who was researching Lyme disease at the time the movie was filmed.  In one of his experiments, Dr. MacDonald obtained brain tissue from Harvard Medical School from 10 patients who had died from Alzheimer's disease.  When he did DNA testing on these tissue samples, seven of the 10 tested positive for Borrelia Burgdorferi.

Unfortunately, Dr. MacDonald now suffers from dementia himself.

Another research physician quoted in the movie, Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt, had this to say:

We never had, in the last five years, a single MS patient, a single ALS patient, a single Parkinson's patient, who did not test positive for Borrelia Burgdorferi, not a single one.

In the movie, they covered one of Dr. Klinghardt's patients who had been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) and had been given six months to live.  Dr. Dietrich treated this patient as if he were a Lyme disease patient and he recovered!

Anyway, food for thought...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update, thanks to the highly immoderate use pesticides (and perhaps some good luck) my boy returned from Vermont seemingly tick and Lyme-free.

His clothes were doused in Permethrin prior to departure and he was loaded with 100% DEET.

On the final night of camp, they had a sleep out. My boy sprayed DEET, and where he covered himself? No bites. But where he missed, like the back of the hands and on his face? Hundreds of mosquito bites. It looks like he had bad acne.

I'd rather brave earthquakes and civil insurrections.

Thank you all!

Bill

• Like 17

Me, too, Spycar.

She and I have a lot in common actually.  I used to live in Vermont (Essex Junction), used to weave (and will again, I'm determined), and used to homeschool.  

Bill

Bill, your wife's friend may want to get a second opinion. Lyme has been misdiagnosed as MS before.

• Like 4

Honestly, we were crunchy organic until Lyme. Not anymore.

Yup . . . I can't count the number of super-crunchy, organic-buying, free-range-meating, chemical-free folks, medicine-avoiding folks I know . . . who are now embracing the dark magic of pesticides and high dose antibiotics . . . due to close-encounters with Lyme. Count me among them  . . .

That said, after I take my 3 ABX pills . . . minutes to hours later I follow it with about 16 natural supplements  (+/- one more prescription anti-emetic as needed) . . . to try to undo the damage I'm doing with the damn ABX . . . 

I'd *much* rather up my exposure to permethrin and DEET rather than to ever again face this monstrosity of an illness and the required medications to fight it . . . 

And, FTR, I live in a "low risk" Lyme region . . . caught it in my backyard . . .

• Like 2

Hey, for the friend with possible MS... I lived with an MS diagnosis for four years. It was Lyme. :(

Glad your kiddo made it back tick free!

Chemicals have their place in life.

StephanieZ, I hope you are improving. Take your S. Boulardii and probiotics! Among the 5,000 other supplmements you're probably on. :). Lyme sucks.

• Like 2

Bill, your wife's friend may want to get a second opinion. Lyme has been misdiagnosed as MS before.

She is going to Dartmouth. The country doctor was quite clear about not making a definitive diagnosis.

It was a qualified "consistent with" type conclusion, with plenty of caveats (including a lack of expertise on MS).

We are all hoping the final call will be different. But the MRI was concerning.

Bill

• Like 3

The biggest issue is that the Westen Blot tests for Lyme have an extremely high false negative rate. The main reason for the high false negative test is that the most sensitive indicators ARE NOT USED because they were reserved for the Lyme vaccine which never materialized. 

I have performed hundreds of Western blot assays in my time.  They are notorious for being problematic, regardless of how sensitive an indicator you use.

ETA: To clarify--I'm talking about the Western blot as a general kind of assay, not specifically the one for Lyme.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

She is going to Dartmouth. The country doctor was quite clear about not making a definitive diagnosis.

It was a qualified "consistent with" type conclusion, with plenty of caveats (including a lack of expertise on MS).

We are all hoping the final call will be different. But the MRI was concerning.

Bill

MRIs of those with Lyme show the white spots you'd find with MS (mine did, but I was aware prior to the MRI that that might be the case). She's in good hands at Dartmouth Hitchcock. Hoping for the best outcome possible.

• Like 4

How did you manage to get your diagnosis corrected? Four years with Lyme can be quite debilitating. How successful was your Lyme treatment?

It's a long story. I actually contracted Lyme, we believe, when I was 11. I have my med records with notes about a rash that sounds like a bulls eye. That was in '82, and Lyme wasn't a thing yet. They diagnosed me with "atypical relapsing mono" - I missed 6 mos of school that first time. After that, I remitted and relapsed for ... 20 years. What a mess, eh?

I finally spiraled down fast and ended up with the MS diagnosis, among other things. About four years into that, I was talking to my general NP about some atypical MS symptoms and she called me the next day. She had gone to dinner with a friend, a vet, and mentioned my case. The vet friend felt I might have Lyme and co-infections. We tested, and found some odd results, which prompted me to find an LLMD. But really - a vet diagnosed me. :) It took five years of serious Lyme and co treatment, and I still have issues, but I'm better. I still see my LLMD every 6 mos, even now. There are some issues that will be lifelong but overall, it's all manageable now.

My son had viral meningitis and babesiosis last summer. Contracted from a tickbite. He's fine now. But ticks are the bane of my existence. I detest them.

• Like 3

Bill

Bill, I am not sure if you are aware of this, but MS is one of the top 5 misdiagnoses for Lyme.  Including MS like lesions in an MRI.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15617845

It wouldn't hurt for your friend do get an Igenex test to rule it out perhaps?

• Like 6

StephanieZ, I hope you are improving. Take your S. Boulardii and probiotics! Among the 5,000 other supplmements you're probably on. :). Lyme sucks.

LOL, that's funny. You know Lyme too well, and I'm sorry for your experience but so glad you (and your son) are on the other side now . . .

Yup, I think I'm up to around 10 capsules (including the 2 probiotics) and 3 tinctures, twice a day. LOL. It's pretty insane how much effort and product it takes to try to un-do the chaos the Lyme Disease along with the strong antibiotics cause in the human body. I'm doing my best . . . Every week, sometimes every day, it seems there's a new bottle of something arriving in the mail. 

• Like 1

LOL, that's funny. You know Lyme too well, and I'm sorry for your experience but so glad you (and your son) are on the other side now . . .

Yup, I think I'm up to around 10 capsules (including the 2 probiotics) and 3 tinctures, twice a day. LOL. It's pretty insane how much effort and product it takes to try to un-do the chaos the Lyme Disease along with the strong antibiotics cause in the human body. I'm doing my best . . . Every week, sometimes every day, it seems there's a new bottle of something arriving in the mail.

It's unbelievable, isn't it? Definitely worth the trade off for chemicals and permethrin and DEET. I'll take those over Lyme and the effects of treatment any day.

You don't have babesia, do you? Mepron, which treats it, is a liquid the consistency of latex house paint, and a glorious shade of golden yellow. My theater boy was in the Wizard of Oz when I was on it - it's the perfect shade of Yellow Brick Road. Aaaaack! We sang the yellow brick road song every day. :)

Keep up the fight! Every day will be better.

• Like 1

It's unbelievable, isn't it? Definitely worth the trade off for chemicals and permethrin and DEET. I'll take those over Lyme and the effects of treatment any day.

You don't have babesia, do you? Mepron, which treats it, is a liquid the consistency of latex house paint, and a glorious shade of golden yellow. My theater boy was in the Wizard of Oz when I was on it - it's the perfect shade of Yellow Brick Road. Aaaaack! We sang the yellow brick road song every day. :)

Keep up the fight! Every day will be better.

I haven't actually been assessed for co-infections yet, believe it or not. Accessing quality care has been exceptionally difficult, despite my super-hot-CDC-positive test and severe symptoms. I'm seeing a D.O. tomorrow who may go there . . .

I'll look *so* forward to Mepron, lol.

I'm just trying to survive the high dose doxy at the moment, which is a hobby unto itself. Last night, I had to have my husband pull off the highway so I could puke in the grass . . . with our dd and two of our (elder, adult) friends in the car . . . We were heading home from a fiddle and banjo contest (in which dd won top prizes in both and $400!!) and going to stop for ice cream, our traditional celebratory stop . . . After puking and peeing my pants from puking . . . We decided to save the ice cream for another day. I just went home and cried. I hate this shit. I just want my life back.

Running off to a local Lyme meeting . . . first one I've been to . . . Ugh. It really is a PT job dealing with this.

• Like 2

Ouch. That was a sympathetic like, to the above. Doxy was miserable for me, too. Hopefully you'll get to a better med combo soon. The ones I used, way back when, may not be in use as much anymore, I don't know. Usually, I was on two classes of abx at a time, but some combos were easier than others. Anything with doxy was hell. Bactrim, however, was the best for me. I hope you find a better combo soon.

If you want a kick butt LLMD in No VA, let me know. :) I'll send you her name. Might be too far for you, though.

Stay super hydrated, that helps a bit.

• Like 2

Bill, I am not sure if you are aware of this, but MS is one of the top 5 misdiagnoses for Lyme.  Including MS like lesions in an MRI.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15617845

It wouldn't hurt for your friend do get an Igenex test to rule it out perhaps?

I did not know this, but have been passing the information along. Thank you.

Bill

• Like 1

I haven't actually been assessed for co-infections yet, believe it or not. Accessing quality care has been exceptionally difficult, despite my super-hot-CDC-positive test and severe symptoms. I'm seeing a D.O. tomorrow who may go there . . .

I'll look *so* forward to Mepron, lol.

I'm just trying to survive the high dose doxy at the moment, which is a hobby unto itself. Last night, I had to have my husband pull off the highway so I could puke in the grass . . . with our dd and two of our (elder, adult) friends in the car . . . We were heading home from a fiddle and banjo contest (in which dd won top prizes in both and $400!!) and going to stop for ice cream, our traditional celebratory stop . . . After puking and peeing my pants from puking . . . We decided to save the ice cream for another day. I just went home and cried. I hate this shit. I just want my life back.

Running off to a local Lyme meeting . . . first one I've been to . . . Ugh. It really is a PT job dealing with this.

Best wishes in your struggle with Lyme. 

Best,

Bill

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I mentioned in this thread that a homeschooling mother who was my wife's host this summer in Vermont was informed by her country doctor that she showed signs on a medical test consistent with MS while my wife was visiting. That news prompted much worry.

I do not know all the details yet, but it appears that after visits to leading medical centers, including Dartmouth, that MS has been ruled out.

Good news. Thanks to all who expressed concerns.

Bill

• Like 2

I mentioned in this thread that a homeschooling mother who was my wife's host this summer in Vermont was informed by her country doctor that she showed signs on a medical test consistent with MS while my wife was visiting. That news prompted much worry.

I do not know all the details yet, but it appears that after visits to leading medical centers, including Dartmouth, that MS has been ruled out.

Good news. Thanks to all who expressed concerns.

Bill

Let us know how it turns out. To be honest, we see people in our county diagnosed with MS and then when they get to a great hospital like Beaumont, or U of Mi Medical Center, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, etc. they find out they have Lyme's. It is maddening sometimes to get the docs here to take this disease seriously. It is interesting that in the mid-80's a number of medical researchers were claiming that our county was one of the highest in the nation for MS. One has to wonder if it really was Lyme's disease as there had been no warning sounded and people thought nothing of ticks and tick bites.