Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW9

Robin M

Loved St. Simon's island. Went there with my parents and other couple who had a daughter my age way back in teen years.  We spent the days mopeding around the island.  So much fun and so beautiful. I'd like to go back some day.

When you return to Saint Simons Island, be sure to make a stop in the town's independent bookstore which stocks some local/regional authors, best sellers, beach reads, general distractions and a great kids section. 

In the latter I bought a gift for one of my grand nephews: Kid Sheriff and the Terrible Toads, a book that I know my now adult son would have adored as a young sprout.  Let me share one page of the story:

"Howdy stranger.  What brings you to our spicy town?" asked the mayor.

"I'm your new sheriff," said the boy.

"Can you handle a shooting iron?"

"Nope."

"Ride a horse?"

"Nope."

"Know any rope tricks?"

"Nope."

"Stay up past eight?"

"Nope."

"Well then, what makes you a sheriff?" asked the mayor.

"I know a really lot about dinosaurs," said Ryan.

"Pleased to meet you, Sheriff," said the mayor.

9781596439757.jpg

After dealing with the Terrible Toads, Kid Sheriff rides off on his tortoise...very slowly.

• Like 11

Finished The Razor's Edge last night. What a wonderful book! I think so many of you would enjoy it (even the Flufferton fans). As I mentioned earlier, it's like visiting a bunch of old friends various times throughout the years, telling stories, catching up on gossip, pondering the meaning of life, etc.... Maugham writes beautifully. All the characters are great -- true people with many virtues, but flaws too; the flaws don't detract, though, just make them real. (Elliott becomes the center of attention in every scene he graces! Loved him, lol!) It is set mainly in the years between WWI & WWII.

From the back cover:

Intimate acquaintances but less than friends, they meet and part in postwar London and Paris: Elliott, the archsnob but also the kindest of men; Isabel, considered to be entertaining, gracious, and tactful; Gray, the quintessence of the Regular Guy; Suzanne, shrewd, roving, and friendly; Sophie, lost, wanton, with a vicious attractiveness about her; and finally Larry, so hard and so trustful, lost in the world's confusion. Their story, one of Somerset Maugham's best, encompasses the pain, passion, and poignancy of life itself.

As the book closes, Maugham writes...

But as I was finishing this book, uneasily conscious that I must leave my reader in the air and seeing no way to avoid it, I looked back with my mind's eye on my long narrative to see if there was any way in which I could devise a more satisfactory ending; and to my intense surprise it dawned upon me that without the least intending to I had written nothing more or less than a success story.

Unlike so many books with "big" events or sad or shocking events used as literary devices, this one is similar to life with a warmth & love of humanity that infuses the characters with more good than bad, events with overall hope, and a pleasant ending. (That doesn't mean there aren't sad events, but those are seen as a part of a normal life & family & friends help one get through & still enjoy life.) By my reckoning, The Razor's Edge is a modern classic & a 5-star book.

I'm still working on the book of West African folk tales.

Also, yesterday, I picked up a book that I saw on the Melville House site. I think it's one my library just bought & I'm the first person to get the copy: Cat Out of Hell by Lynne Truss (author of Eats, Shoots & Leaves). It seems to be a mash-up of horror/humor/mystery. So far, the cat in this one really is evil & it's been pretty funny so far. Funny horror/fluff, imo.

Acclaimed New York Times bestselling author Lynne Truss (Eats, Shoots & Leaves) is back with a mesmerizing and hilarious tale of cats and murder.

For people who both love and hate cats comes the tale of Alec Charlesworth, a librarian who finds himself suddenly alone: he’s lost his job, his beloved wife has just died. Overcome by grief, he searches for clues about her disappearance in a file of interviews between a man called “Wiggy†and a cat, Roger. Who speaks to him. 

It takes a while for Alec to realize he’s not gone mad from grief, that the cat is actually speaking to Wiggy . . . and that much of what we fear about cats is true. They do think they’re smarter than humans, for one thing. And, well, it seems they are! What’s more, they do have nine lives. Or at least this one does – Roger’s older than Methuselah, and his unblinking stare comes from the fact that he’s seen it all. 

And he’s got a tale to tell, a tale of shocking local history and dark forces that may link not only the death of Alec’s wife, but also several other local deaths. But will the cat help Alec, or is he one of the dark forces? 

In the deft and comedic hands of mega-bestseller Lynne Truss, the story is as entertaining as it is addictive†(The Sunday Telegraph) – an increasingly suspenseful and often hysterically funny adventure that will please cat lovers and haters alike. And afterwards, as one critic noted, “You may never look at a cat in quite the same way again†(The Daily Mail).

Also, I'll probably start Woolf's Orlando today or tomorrow.

ETA: Jane, I just requested that picture book from the library for myself! :lol:

• Like 11

I finished Whose Body tonight.  Not a hard mystery to solve, but still a satisfying read.

I also decided to bail on The Once and Future King.  I started reading it today, and it just did not appeal.  The Arthur legends aren't my favorites, but there are better versions than this, IMO.  I got a lot more satisfaction from the Mary Stewart series, and even from The Mists of Avalon.  This is a book I just can't be bothered to read, I don't think, unless somebody offers a compelling argument before I take it back to the library . . .   

I tried The Once and Future King a few years ago.  I, also, couldn't get into the story and gave up.  I've often wondered if I should give it another try.  I see it recommended on many lists.  

I am hosting book club this on Sunday and we're reading The Picture of Dorian Gray.  Guess I better get started on it!

I hear you! Mary Poppins is due Monday morning.  I've started, but I really just want to read Flavia.  

• Like 9

From the back cover:

As the book closes, Maugham writes...

Unlike so many books with "big" events or sad or shocking events used as literary devices, this one is similar to life with a warmth & love of humanity that infuses the characters with more good than bad, events with overall hope, and a pleasant ending. (That doesn't mean there aren't sad events, but those are seen as a part of a normal life & people, family, & friends help one get through & still enjoy life.) To my reckoning, The Razor's Edge is a modern classic & a 5-star book, imo.

I added it to my TBR list. I think the reason I like 18th and 19th century classics so much is just what that paragraph says. Few really big things happen in those classics I read. Most are just life events that often end up changing lives. I like character driven books much better than plot driven ones, though I do enjoy both.

• Like 8

I also decided to bail on The Once and Future King.  I started reading it today, and it just did not appeal.  The Arthur legends aren't my favorites, but there are better versions than this, IMO.  I got a lot more satisfaction from the Mary Stewart series, and even from The Mists of Avalon.  This is a book I just can't be bothered to read, I don't think, unless somebody offers a compelling argument before I take it back to the library . . .   

I'm just not a fan of Arthurian legends, and I've tried coming at them a number of different ways (different authors and perspectives). Sometimes I feel like I must be weird because, well, who doesn't like King Arthur right? I don't. That's who.  :leaving:  

• Like 9

Hi ladies! Wanted to check in after my post a few weeks ago regarding your favorite attention grabbing books. I haven't been able to pull any of those from the library yet, but I just finished The Ship of Brides by JoJo Moyes which I really enjoyed! So interesting how the governments shipped the war brides off to their new countries. I picked up another of hers, One and Only at the library today along with Alison Weir's The Captive Queen.

• Like 8

I am hosting book club this on Sunday and we're reading The Picture of Dorian Gray.  Guess I better get started on it!

It has been a really, really long time since I've read that one, but I remember really liking it.

I tried The Once and Future King a few years ago.  I, also, couldn't get into the story and gave up.  I've often wondered if I should give it another try.  I see it recommended on many lists. 

I'm just not a fan of Arthurian legends, and I've tried coming at them a number of different ways (different authors and perspectives). Sometimes I feel like I must be weird because, well, who doesn't like King Arthur right? I don't. That's who.  :leaving:  

Add me to the list. I think I tried The Once and Future King once & didn't get very far. I've never really gotten into Arthurian legends either. Well, except for Monty Python's The Holy Grail. :lol:

I added it to my TBR list. I think the reason I like 18th and 19th century classics so much is just what that paragraph says. Few really big things happen in those classics I read. Most are just life events that often end up changing lives. I like character driven books much better than plot driven ones, though I do enjoy both.

If you like character-driven works, then you'll definitely enjoy The Razor's Edge.

• Like 10

I fell behind on my reading and haven't participated in the BAW thread for a few weeks...I came down with the flu, which turned into a sinus infection, and had no desire to read during those couple of weeks. That was immediately followed by a minor back injury caused by I-don't-know-what (possibly a herniated disc...I woke up one morning in severe pain and unable to stand up straight or sit down); I managed to get caught up on reading while spending my days curled up in the fetal position, though!

The first book I read was The Riddle of the Labyrinth by Margalit Fox, a fascinating story of how the Linear B code was cracked. One of my favorite books so far this year! My second book was All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. I loved the story; but more than that, I enjoyed reading about the use of radio triangulation to pinpoint the location of a radio signal. I am...ummm...very familiar with such techniques. :patriot: ;)  The third book I read was Seek Me With All Your Heart by Beth Wiseman. It was Amish fiction; I found it interesting the way it portrayed how an Amish community dealt with r@pe. The last book I read was Holocaust Survivor by Mike Jacobs. It had a tone the polar opposite of Elie Wiesel's Night - full of hope, imagination, and joy. It was a very unique account; not only due to his attitude, but also to the fact that he apparently found it easy to walk in and out of the work camps and ghettos at will...Auschwitz-Birkenau was the only one that he couldn't escape from! At one point he got tired of trying to survive alone in a forest, so he actually walked *into* a nearby work camp and found himself a bunk bed and a job! :scared:

Read so far this year...

1. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

2. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

3. Without a Trace by Colleen Coble

4. Tempest's Course by Lynette Sowell

5. Freefall by Kristen Heitzmann

6. In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke

7. Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers

8. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

9. A Season of Change by Lynette Sowell

10. An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor

11. The Riddle of the Labyrinth by Margalit Fox

12. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

13. Seek Me With All Your Heart by Beth Wiseman

14. Holocaust Survivor by Mike Jacobs

• Like 11

Because of our groups recent zentangle fascination which seems to have crossed over to some of my quilting friends I am going to post a link for a tangle pillow sham tutorial.http://tweloquilting.blogspot.com/2015/03/sys-2015-tutorial-2-quilting.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+QuiltingPaperPiecingAndCrafts+%28Quilting%2C+paper+piecing+and+crafts%29. If anyone decides to have a go she also has a skill building tutorial to practice with first.

Such pretty quilting!

• Like 7

Where did this week go?  Haven't posted last week's progress yet.  Sigh.

finished this year:

Sewing For Dummies

Surrender the Heart

Crazy Shortcut Quilts

A Passion Most Pure

Wonderful Lonesome

Happier at Home

Keeping House:  The Litany of Everyday Life

Farm Girl

How to be a High School Superstar

Wuthering Heights

You're Already Amazing

Trusting God

Death Comes for the Archbishop

The Hope Chest (by Rebekah Wilson)

Treasure in the Hills

The Quilting Bible

Complete Guide to Quilting

Genesis in Space and Time

A World Without Cancer

Confessions of an Organized Homemaker

Shyness: How Normal Behavior Became a Sickness

What's Best Next

The Granny Square Book

Kids Knitting

Homespun Bride

Make Over: Revitalizing the Many Roles You Fill

Seven-Minute Marriage Solution

Invisibles:  The Power of Anonymous Work in an Age of Relentless Self-Promotion

Pollyanna

currently reading:

North and South - Gaskell

The History of the Medieval World

The History of the Ancient World

East of Eden

Jane Eyre

• Like 9

I hear you! Mary Poppins is due Monday morning.  I've started, but I really just want to read Flavia.  

The Once and Future King is wonderful as an audio book!  My 16 yo son and my 13 yo son both laugh out loud and smile and shake their heads at the story so much while listening to the book, that I have to recommend trying it that way. 

(edited because I cannot listen to an audio book and write a coherent sentence at the same time!)

• Like 8

I finished the book I chose based solely on the cover.  Mr. Swirlee.  It's a solid 3 stars.  It was good.  Mostly predictable, but sometimes that's okay.  There was a little more language than I would've liked.  It was going pretty good and would've gotten a 4 star rating from me, but the ending was extremely abrupt and that reduced my rating.  I'm actually not totally sure how a couple loose ends were tied up.  It was like they just were.  And it was over.

So there you go.  Challenge accepted and completed!

• Like 9

I typically like King Arthur legends and loved doing the Once and Future King as a read aloud many years ago. I think we just did the first part but not sure. Anyway I remember it as being pretty funny.

Oddly enough Mary Stewart's King Arthur series was a fail for me. I just could not connect.

One of my first adult historical novels as a young teen was about Arthur and his court. I remember loving that book but can't seem to find it anywhere. It was a paperback that I pulled off my Sil's bookshelves titled Lenore or something similar. It featured Arthur's true love from childhood who was very loyal to him through his entire life. Very romantic and quite sad, ending with her and a loyal servant burying him.

• Like 8

I fell behind on my reading and haven't participated in the BAW thread for a few weeks...I came down with the flu, which turned into a sinus infection, and had no desire to read during those couple of weeks. That was immediately followed by a minor back injury caused by I-don't-know-what (possibly a herniated disc...I woke up one morning in severe pain and unable to stand up straight or sit down); I managed to get caught up on reading while spending my days curled up in the fetal position, though!

:grouphug:  I suffered from a horrific sinus infection in February followed this past weekend by the worst migraine I've had in about 8 years!  So you definitely need a hug!

The Once and Future King is wonderful as an audio book!  My 16 yo son and my 13 yo son both laugh out loud and smile and shake their heads at the story so much while listening to the book, that I have to recommend trying it that way. 

(edited because I cannot listen to an audio book and write a coherent sentence at the same time!)

I will keep this in mind, though I'm not the best auditory learner.  I have trouble listening to audio books.  

I typically like King Arthur legends and loved doing the Once and Future King as a read aloud many years ago. I think we just did the first part but not sure. Anyway I remember it as being pretty funny.

Oddly enough Mary Stewart's King Arthur series was a fail for me. I just could not connect.

One of my first adult historical novels as a young teen was about Arthur and his court. I remember loving that book but can't seem to find it anywhere. It was a paperback that I pulled off my Sil's bookshelves titled Lenore or something similar. It featured Arthur's true love from childhood who was very loyal to him through his entire life. Very romantic and quite sad, ending with her and a loyal servant burying him.

I only read the first of Mary Stewart's King Arthur series.  It was ok.  My favorite King Arthur story is The Mists of Avalon.  A book that I read when I was much, much younger and would not read now due to content but it was definitely my favorite.  I haven't read anything that lives up to it since.

• Like 9

Anybody read Roger Lancelyn Green's King Arthur? Or John Steinbeck's?  I have to say, that is intriguing . . . 

Dd and I are slated to read Green's as a read-aloud this spring when we hit that era (currently studying Rome--have a few hundred years to study before Arthur). We read Green's Tales of the Greek Heroes earlier this year and really enjoyed his writing. Several years ago I bought The Once and Future King at the library book sale. I couldn't get into it either. And it was fat! Took up too much shelf space so it went back to the library book sale a year or two later.

• Like 9

Finished The Razor's Edge last night. What a wonderful book! I think so many of you would enjoy it (even the Flufferton fans). As I mentioned earlier, it's like visiting a bunch of old friends various times throughout the years, telling stories, catching up on gossip, pondering the meaning of life, etc.... Maugham writes beautifully. All the characters are great -- true people with many virtues, but flaws too; the flaws don't detract, though, just make them real. (Elliott becomes the center of attention in every scene he graces! Loved him, lol!) It is set mainly in the years between WWI & WWII.

I may give this a try sometime later this year. I remember when I was in my teacher training program, a classmate who was going to be an English teacher really liked this book and rented a copy of Bill Murray's movie of it--I guess it was a favorite of Murray also. But it was hard to watch the movie because you just expect a Bill Murray movie to be a comedy; you're waiting for him to say something humorous but he's very serious.

• Like 7

I finished Cat Out of Hell by Lynne Truss. Creepy horror-fun. (Yes, I realize that sounds oxymoron-ish. Lol.)

Quick, chilling entertainment if you're wanting a horror/mystery mash-up with along with some dark chuckles... and a cat who wants Daniel Craig to voice him if there's a movie version. I found it entertaining & worth my time to read. (It may not be Angel or Nan material, though. Mom-ninja, I think you'd find this one a hoot.) It reminded me a bit of a slightly creepy version of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore & other books of that ilk with its various literary & cultural references.

I must admit that it did cross my mind to wonder if the ending might end up being based on some type of grammatical double-cross (since Truss did author Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation), but that was not the case!

• Like 9

I may give this a try sometime later this year. I remember when I was in my teacher training program, a classmate who was going to be an English teacher really liked this book and rented a copy of Bill Murray's movie of it--I guess it was a favorite of Murray also. But it was hard to watch the movie because you just expect a Bill Murray movie to be a comedy; you're waiting for him to say something humorous but he's very serious.

From various reviews/comments I read, the original film version was considered quite good, but the Bill Murray version was considered a disaster. I have no idea as I've seen neither. I definitely recommend the book!

• Like 6

I also want to report that I passed the 200 mark for times playing Bach's Chaconne so I get to fiddle with a new song and have only about 800 more repetitions to go to reach goal.

I missed this when you first posted it and want to say, first of all, Holy Cow!!  You are tackling the Chaconne?!!  I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole!  Second of all, you go girl!!  I admire such focused dedication.  My practicing is mostly scrambling to not embarrass myself from gig to gig, which leads to the next multi-quote...

.... reading Les Mis (I'm 11% through... woohoo lol... I'm actually liking this one way more than I expected... though I can't help but hear the songs from the musical - which I just saw last month at one of the local high schools - in my head as I read which is kind of weird), 

I just played this yesterday for a local high school production!!  I'm subbing for a couple of violinists during the run of the show, so will be playing it again next weekend.  The orchestra is shoe-horned backstage behind the barricade set, and right there between the conductor and the violins is a ladder for the actors to enter and exit the barricade.  There is quite the parade of people coming and going with 2 stage hands back there flashing lights when there is the sound of gun and canon fire.  We are playing the entire time, with the conductor trying to make his hands seen over the tops of all these teen aged heads!!

Guess I ought to finally read the book.  The tunes definitely stick in your head!

We too loved it as an audio book.  The first book is filled with delightfully oddball characters, and is the basis for the somewhat unmemorable Disney Sword in the Stone movie.  The later books get more serious and I didn't stick with it all the way through.  I loved Mary Stewart's books, especially Crystal Cave, and loved the Mists of Avalon, too, but I'm a sucker for most anything with chain mail and broad swords :p

• Like 10

16.  "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.  Wow!  Now I understand why my great uncle would never touch rice.  I don't think he was an airman, but he was a POW in Japan.  I don't know his story, and it may be too late to find out, as I think his only son died a few years ago...

15. "How to Train Your Dragon" by Cressida Cowell.  Happened to see it on the shelf at the library while looking for something else, and thought I'd see how it compared to the movies my girls love.  The characters are the same.  The plot is not similar at all!

14.  "As You Wish" by Cary Elwes.

13. "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. 

12. "My Louisiana Sky" by Kimberly Willis Holt. 

11. "Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself" by Alan Alda.  

10. "When I Was Your Age" edited by Amy Ehrlich.

9. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick.  

8. “Broken Things to Mend†by Jeffrey R. Holland (LDS)

7. “When You Can't Do It Alone†by Brent Top. (LDS)

6. “What to Do When You Worry Too Much†and “What to Do When Your Temper Flares†by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.â€

5. “Tales of a Female Nomad†by Rita Golden Gelman.

4. “Heaven is for Real†by Todd Burpo.

3. "Your Happily Ever After" and "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (LDS)

2. "Cliff-Hanger" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

1. "Rage of Fire" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

• Like 10

Instead of reading my huge stack I have spent my free morning learning my counties in England. Thought some here might want to try what I found on memrise so posting the linkhttp://www.memrise.com/course/8607/counties-of-england/. I think I have cleared up my Herefordshire/ Hertfordshire/Hampshire and Surrey/Suffolk/Sussex confusion. Lol.

• Like 10

I've never really gotten into Arthurian legends either. Well, except for Monty Python's The Holy Grail. :lol:

I have a teenage boy. I can't tell you how often our family quotes lines from that movie.  :lol:

And I do like a number of songs from the musical, Camelot. 

Oh, and the BBC series, Merlin.

That about covers my enjoyment of all things Arthurian. :)

• Like 11

Uh-oh. I just got a notice that The Razor's Edge is available. I wasn't expecting to happen so soon! I have too many books I"m trying to read and am wondering if I should just cancel the hold and put it on my wish list for another time. I have 3 days to decide if I'm going to accept it or my hold is automatically cancelled. 

There are several other library books on my Kindle already. March might be one of those months where I don't turn on the wifi. ;)

• Like 9

I have a teenage boy. I can't tell you how often our family quotes lines from that movie.  :lol:

And I do like a number of songs from the musical, Camelot. 

Oh, and the BBC series, Merlin.

That about covers my enjoyment of all things Arthurian. :)

My kids have seen Camelot live, as well as a bunch of Shakespeare (they are theater buffs), so when I started to read The Once and Future King I warned them that it didn't have a happy ending.  My dd8, who is in the middle of watching Branaugh's Hamlet repeatedly, rolled her eyes at me and said, "Duh, mom, it's a tragedy!"  :laugh:  :huh:  :D

I think I'm going to give Green's King Arthur a shot with the girls, but I'm also getting some pretty picture book versions.  That may be all the Arthur I'm up for! Unfortunately my library doesn't have an audio version of Once and Future King, I would have gone for that.

• Like 10

I missed this when you first posted it and want to say, first of all, Holy Cow!! You are tackling the Chaconne?!! I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole! Second of all, you go girl!! I admire such focused dedication. My practicing is mostly scrambling to not embarrass myself from gig to gig, which leads to the next multi-quote...

I just played this yesterday for a local high school production!! I'm subbing for a couple of violinists during the run of the show, so will be playing it again next weekend. The orchestra is shoe-horned backstage behind the barricade set, and right there between the conductor and the violins is a ladder for the actors to enter and exit the barricade. There is quite the parade of people coming and going with 2 stage hands back there flashing lights when there is the sound of gun and canon fire. We are playing the entire time, with the conductor trying to make his hands seen over the tops of all these teen aged heads!!

:p

Your performances sound fun Jen. I don't perform as I get incredibly nervous and I figure, once I reach the 1000 mark, I'll no longer have an excuse to get nervous (everything will be childs play at that point!) and not perform. It is a very fulfilling piece of music to play once you get past the phase of staring at the music and thinking "What? How am I suppose to do that?" I really, really want to tackle the Earl King and tried a couple years ago but burnt out after the first two pages.

• Like 8

I'm 3 books behind!  February is when it always falls apart for me.  I think I get legitimately depressed, and I just get lazy.  I'm the poster child for S.A.D, and I live in the Midwest. :thumbdown:

Anyways, I'm buckling down.  I'm 1/3 of the way thrugh Running with Scissors, and after that I'll be on a Jane Austen spree.  Hopefully they aren't too much of a slog.  I love Brit lit, and most people can't believe I've never read these! 

• Like 10

I want to try and participate in this this year....let's see, we are on week 9, and so far this year I have read:

1 The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

2 The Motivation Manifesto by Burchard

3 The Magic Art of Tidying

4 The One and Only by Giffin

5 One Way Love: Inexhaustible grace for an exhausted world

6 Not that kind of girl by dunham

7 The Search for Significance by McGee

8 10% Happier

9 To Kill A Mockingbird--audio book.

10 Unbroken with DS

11 Mastering Tung's Acupuncture--for work

12 You Are A Badass

12 now I am reading COming up for air by George Orwell and The Westing Game with the kids on audio.

My faves so far? The Husband's Secret--fun easy read. One Way Love--this author is very inspiring. The Search for Significance--I actually reread this a fair amount. Coming up for Air is amazing--Orwell at his finest, IMO.  And To Kill A Mockingbird is unbeatable.

• Like 9

Don't forget to set your clocks ahead tonight for Daylight Savings Time. (for those in the states who do so)  It crept up on me too. Wasn't expecting until around Easter time. They moved it again on me.  Blah! 

• Like 8

The last book I read was Holocaust Survivor by Mike Jacobs. It had a tone the polar opposite of Elie Wiesel's Night - full of hope, imagination, and joy. It was a very unique account; not only due to his attitude, but also to the fact that he apparently found it easy to walk in and out of the work camps and ghettos at will...Auschwitz-Birkenau was the only one that he couldn't escape from! At one point he got tired of trying to survive alone in a forest, so he actually walked *into* a nearby work camp and found himself a bunk bed and a job! :scared:

:grouphug:  Hope you are feeling better. I'll have to check out Jacobs book. My 15 year who is into all things wwII has been wanting to read about Holocaust survivors. I have yet to read Wiesel's books but James saw him during Netanyahu's speech and decided he wanted to read his books. I'll have to preread.

I finished the book I chose based solely on the cover.  Mr. Swirlee.  It's a solid 3 stars.  It was good.  Mostly predictable, but sometimes that's okay.  There was a little more language than I would've liked.  It was going pretty good and would've gotten a 4 star rating from me, but the ending was extremely abrupt and that reduced my rating.  I'm actually not totally sure how a couple loose ends were tied up.  It was like they just were.  And it was over.

So there you go.  Challenge accepted and completed!

Awesome!

Instead of reading my huge stack I have spent my free morning learning my counties in England. Thought some here might want to try what I found on memrise so posting the linkhttp://www.memrise.com/course/8607/counties-of-england/. I think I have cleared up my Herefordshire/ Hertfordshire/Hampshire and Surrey/Suffolk/Sussex confusion. Lol.

What a great website. Will have to show James. He's been trying to remember all the capitals of the european countries.

I'm 3 books behind!  February is when it always falls apart for me.  I think I get legitimately depressed, and I just get lazy.  I'm the poster child for S.A.D, and I live in the Midwest. :thumbdown:

Anyways, I'm buckling down.  I'm 1/3 of the way thrugh Running with Scissors, and after that I'll be on a Jane Austen spree.  Hopefully they aren't too much of a slog.  I love Brit lit, and most people can't believe I've never read these! 

Don't worry. It will all average out in the end. Hope you are feeling better.

I want to try and participate in this this year....let's see, we are on week 9, and so far this year I have read:

1 The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

2 The Motivation Manifesto by Burchard

3 The Magic Art of Tidying

4 The One and Only by Giffin

5 One Way Love: Inexhaustible grace for an exhausted world

6 Not that kind of girl by dunham

7 The Search for Significance by McGee

8 10% Happier

9 To Kill A Mockingbird--audio book.

10 Unbroken with DS

11 Mastering Tung's Acupuncture--for work

12 You Are A Badass

12 now I am reading COming up for air by George Orwell and The Westing Game with the kids on audio.

My faves so far? The Husband's Secret--fun easy read. One Way Love--this author is very inspiring. The Search for Significance--I actually reread this a fair amount. Coming up for Air is amazing--Orwell at his finest, IMO.  And To Kill A Mockingbird is unbeatable.

Yeah and Welcome!

James and I are reading Inside Hitler's Bunker together. We watched The Bunker with Anthony Hopkins as Hitler and it was actually quite good. Not over the top.  

• Like 10

Well, another week flew by.  "The Necklace and Other Tales" by Guy de Maupassant is filled with great short stories.  My 8yo read "Rollo and Tweedy and the case of the Missing Cheese" by Laura Jean Allen for her mystery book this week.

:001_smile:

• Like 8

Anybody read Roger Lancelyn Green's King Arthur?  

I was thinking I had read Green's, but it was Pyle's.  It was just ok.

February is when it always falls apart for me.  I think I get legitimately depressed, and I just get lazy.  I'm the poster child for S.A.D, and I live in the Midwest. :thumbdown:

:iagree:  People say that you gain weight between Thanksgiving and New Year, well I do between New Year and Easter because I just want to hibernate!  I, too, feel depressed and don't want to move out from under a blanket  :glare: I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, though, as we might actually get to the 50's this week  :hurray:   I can't wait to sit in the sunshine and read a book while soaking up all the vitamin D I can  :lol:

I have not finished Mary Poppins or Flavia! 

• Like 8

I read 2 books today. The first, Mayo Clinic's Going Gluten Free, was a quick read and just a refresher of things I know. Good book for someone newly diagnosed with celiac or other gluten sensitivity. 

Then I sat down with Gaiman's, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, and I didn't come up for air for the several hours it took me to read the book. I'm pretty sure I stopped breathing for the entire time. When I finished the book I felt out of breath. I found myself struck with the seemingly simple sentences that left me feeling, well, breathless. Gaiman is one of those people who truly never forget what we are like as children, how we feel as children, how we think as children, and he is able to capture that and remind us adults that deep down those memories are there. 

• Like 10

Can someone help me? I can not figure out how to delete books from my Want-to-Read shelf on Goodreads. 

Click on "my books" at the top. Then, look along the left side and click on your shelf. In list form, you can just x them off. 

• Like 5