Menu

Knitters, what are you working on??

Moxie

I've been knitting on and off for 35+ years (since I was 8).  I'm working through Next Steps in Knitting #1 (8 in the series),to try to fill in some of the holes in my knitting education.

Aran Sweaters?  No problem.  Socks?  Never done it successfully.  Making my own mitten patterns?  Sure!  Fair Isle Knitting? Huh?

I'm knitting the "Garter Stitch and Stockinette Stitch Sweater."  It's been an easy and fast sweater to knit with young children in the house.  I've never knit with two strands of yarn simultaneously!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished a baby blanket Thursday night while watching my St. Louis Cardinals lose to the Giants. I'll have to look at it closely in good lighting to see if the last few inches are knitted a whole lot tighter because I was stressing big time. :crying:

Now I need to cast on something new and I kept myself awake last night trying to figure out what I wanted to knit next. Most of my knitting is for charity projects or gifts because I like to knit baby blankets and hats and we don't need them around here. I want to knit baby blankets for the Pine Ridge Reservation OB ward, and I have some brownish variegated yarn I thought I'd strand with some cream yarn...but when I tried that last night it just looked icky. So, back to the drawing board. Maybe it's time to try making a sweater...I've never done that.

BTW, I use the same username on Ravelry, if you're there feel free to friend me. I don't have very many projects listed, but I am trying to get in the habit of putting my new projects on there as soon as I start.

Do you have a link with any guidelines and an address for donating for Pine Ridge?

Do you have a link with any guidelines and an address for donating for Pine Ridge?

Are you on Ravelry? I'm a member of two Ravelry groups focused on donating to PR. One is called "Bundles of Joy" and the other is "For the Children of Pine Ridge". The moderators of these groups have contacts in various schools, medical facilities, and social services offices on the reservation who let them know what is needed. There are guidelines and addresses posted on both of the groups. These groups are very friendly, helpful, and chatty!

I did find this site where it looks like a group of PR supporters are posting information about needs on the reservation; this is not specific to knitting and includes other giving projects:  http://friendsofpineridgereservation.org/projects/

Are you on Ravelry? I'm a member of two Ravelry groups focused on donating to PR. One is called "Bundles of Joy" and the other is "For the Children of Pine Ridge". The moderators of these groups have contacts in various schools, medical facilities, and social services offices on the reservation who let them know what is needed. There are guidelines and addresses posted on both of the groups. These groups are very friendly, helpful, and chatty!

I did find this site where it looks like a group of PR supporters are posting information about needs on the reservation; this is not specific to knitting and includes other giving projects: http://friendsofpineridgereservation.org/projects/

Thanks very much!

I'm not on ravelry...I might need to just finally buckle down and figure it out!

So, the shop hop was yesterday. OMG so much fun! I took pics at each stop, but will just share one with you. This is my total for the day. The final shop had a cowl pattern and 25g skein of Rowan's Kidsilk Haze for each of us.

15387763978_f376ace733.jpg

That looks like so much fun!!

I've been knitting on and off for 35+ years (since I was 8).  I'm working through Next Steps in Knitting #1 (8 in the series),to try to fill in some of the holes in my knitting education.

Aran Sweaters?  No problem.  Socks?  Never done it successfully.  Making my own mitten patterns?  Sure!  Fair Isle Knitting? Huh?

I'm knitting the "Garter Stitch and Stockinette Stitch Sweater."  It's been an easy and fast sweater to knit with young children in the house.  I've never knit with two strands of yarn simultaneously!

I was intimidated by Fair Isle, but then I remembered that knitting is not the boss of me, and I took a class, lol.

I LOVE Fair Isle now. Just love it. I have a couple projects in the shute, but when those are done, I am setting off on a Fair Isle adventure.

Fair Isle is all about the design and planning, baby! Get some graph paper and some coloured pencils and have fun.

Seriously. I need to destash. I'm more than happy to unload some on you. Most of my good yarns were bought for baby knits I didn't get around to. They're too small for bigger projects.

Good heavens if she won't take it, I will! I'm too new to have much stash. Seems like every time I get ready to start something I don't have the yarn for it and have to wait until I can go buy some. LOL

So, the shop hop was yesterday. OMG so much fun! I took pics at each stop, but will just share one with you. This is my total for the day. The final shop had a cowl pattern and 25g skein of Rowan's Kidsilk Haze for each of us.

15387763978_f376ace733.jpg

Ohhhh my.

It's all so lovely. I'm drooling over that color popping burst in the middle and the purples.

I am brand new to knitting. While the kids are in co-op classes, there's a knitting class that's mostly moms. I showed up with a ball of yarn and two needles 4 weeks ago. Now I have 3 scarves, two dishcloths, and a sock under my belt. I'm hooked and looking forward to getting better at this.

My oldest is going as Hermione for Halloween so I'm knitting a scarf and probably some fingerless mitts. I also need to make a green hat to go under a Luigi hat and maybe a princess crown. And a black earwarmer thing for my Dracula.

My daughter is going to be Luna and insisted upon a bronze and blue scarf. I've been knitting for minutes and people are placing orders?!?!?

A second sock! Trying to keep the momentum going, but, you know, other things call. I also have a sweater going for dh, but I took an unplanned knitting hiatus over the summer so I have to figure out what it was I was doing???

My first sock is complete and I need to knit a second, but it got intercepted by a scarf. Also, I'm still not sure exactly what I'm doing. The first sock looks like a sock, but I'm not confident I can make a matching one.

Ohhhh my.

It's all so lovely. I'm drooling over that color popping burst in the middle and the purples.

Right?! I first spotted it at our second stop. I wanted to buy something at each shop and had already picked out a few things. I wrote the name down for future reference. An hour and a half later we were at shop #3. This blast of color pulled me in. I looked at the tag. Same yarn. One of my friends saw me holding it and said that it looked like the tie-dye shirts that I often wear. ;)  It was also $3 cheaper, so I grabbed it. Not sure what it's going to be yet. 

It's Araucania Huasco DK. Color #02 Technicolor. 

http://knittingfever.com/araucania/yarn/huasco-dk/

I am a knitter without a stash. I pick a project and then get what I need. Yes, sometimes I have a couple projects going at the same time, but I don't buy yarn for an unplanned project.  I have a running list of what projects I want to do and sometimes I have even picked out the yarn I want, but I don't buy until I am committed. When one project starts to wind down I get what I need for my next.

I think it is because I am not someone who loves wool for its own sake, lol. I like what I can make with it, but I don't find myself drooling over fiber types and colours. I come at it from the other direction. Don't get me wrong, I like to knit with beautiful fibers and colours and usually end up spending too much on just the right yarn, but don't like to have boxes of it around.

I am a knitter without a stash. I pick a project and then get what I need. Yes, sometimes I have a couple projects going at the same time, but I don't buy yarn for an unplanned project.  I have a running list of what projects I want to do and sometimes I have even picked out the yarn I want, but I don't buy until I am committed. When one project starts to wind down I get what I need for my next.

I think it is because I am not someone who loves wool for its own sake, lol. I like what I can make with it, but I don't find myself drooling over fiber types and colours. I come at it from the other direction. Don't get me wrong, I like to knit with beautiful fibers and colours and usually end up spending too much on just the right yarn, but don't like to have boxes of it around.

To the bolded:  :eek:

I think you might be on to something.  I tend to buy things that strike my fancy but then find when I am ready to start a project that I lack the correct size, color or quantity.  Hence I put myself on a buying moratorium which I only broke recently when I bought sock yarn in "guy" colors.

I am brand new to knitting. While the kids are in co-op classes, there's a knitting class that's mostly moms. I showed up with a ball of yarn and two needles 4 weeks ago. Now I have 3 scarves, two dishcloths, and a sock under my belt. I'm hooked and looking forward to getting better at this.

Wow! Good for you!

I have two categories of stash: yarn to make things for myself and yarn to use for charity knitting. I've decided I need to get to a no-stash position for the first category. For one thing, I'm often drawn to the same colors so I end up buying yet another skein of something in "my colors" and then I don't know what to do with it. How many blue/purple/burgundy scarves and shawls can one woman wear?? :huh:

But for my charity knitting, I do allow myself to maintain a stash so I can take advantage of bargains on really good quality yarn when I find a sale. I have a per-skein price limit that I will allow myself to pay for each type of yarn I use. Having that limit in mind has saved me several times from getting caught up in an eBay bidding frenzy. :p

I think you might be on to something.  I tend to buy things that strike my fancy but then find when I am ready to start a project that I lack the correct size, color or quantity.  Hence I put myself on a buying moratorium which I only broke recently when I bought sock yarn in "guy" colors.

That is why I never started a stash. I have friends with boxes and boxes of yarn but they are always complaining that they don't have what they need for the project they want to make. It makes no sense to me. 

So, you either knit for the yarn you have or get the yarn for the project you want to make. For me, spending the $$ on the yarn compels me to actually knit.

It's like book hording (which is my personal weakness). At some point you have to stop buying books and actually read them.

Oh, remember the baby blanket I decided was an icky color combination?? I looked at it again in the light of day on Saturday and suddenly it didn't look so bad. So I knit a few more rows on it, and I started really liking the way the cream yarn was mixing with the variegated browns and tans. I showed it to my husband and he said it looked like a good color combination for a little boy's blanket.

Lessons learned: I need to go outside my color comfort zone more often. I need to remember to evaluate colors in good light. And, most important, if I want a second opinion I should ask my husband the artist, rather than my 13yo, the jaded teen. "Mom, that thing you're knitting is going to look like someone drizzled mayo all over a slab of meatloaf!" :001_rolleyes:

This has been my issue, too.  :glare:   I've been knitting a lot of mittens and small hats to use up stray balls of yarn!  

I finished my Owlet for my 10 yo and owl hat in Madelinetosh Eyre for my 13 yo.  I've had that discontinued Eyre forever and I'm so sad it's discontinued.  I was very close to not having enough for the hat!!  Next up is the Foxy hat, and then I need to pick a hat for me because I can't find mine. 

I just learned how to knit! So far I can cast on, knit, purl, and cast off. Oh and I can do fringes for a scarf lol

I finished a scarf for DS a couple days ago, and am now doing one for dd. scarves are easy - just rectangles. After this I may actually try to follow a pattern and do something else - I want something for me. A hat or maybe some fingerless gloves. I need a couple of mug cozies too.

For now - I'm just plugging away at my scarf. Knitting is gonna be an obsessive hobby lol. Now I can finally go on Hyena Cart and buy pretty yarn! When I used to buy cloth diaper stuff on there I used to drool over yarn but didnt know how to knit.

I just learned how to knit! So far I can cast on, knit, purl, and cast off. Oh and I can do fringes for a scarf lol

I finished a scarf for DS a couple days ago, and am now doing one for dd. scarves are easy - just rectangles. After this I may actually try to follow a pattern and do something else - I want something for me. A hat or maybe some fingerless gloves. I need a couple of mug cozies too.

For now - I'm just plugging away at my scarf. Knitting is gonna be an obsessive hobby lol. Now I can finally go on Hyena Cart and buy pretty yarn! When I used to buy cloth diaper stuff on there I used to drool over yarn but didnt know how to knit.

I'm looking into the Knit Crate Newbies subscription. You get yarn, practice yarn, a pattern and videos. It looks like you progress through lots of different skills. It is expensive but I tend to obsess over what to do next to the point of spending more time thinking than knitting!!

I've been avoiding this thread because I already have... oh, maybe 8 different projects in various stages of completion lying around.  Not to mention bags of yarn ready for "Projects in Waiting".  Enablers!  

Red squirrel, you are a knitting guru!  I still have monkey-mind when it comes to yarn.  I get bored with projects and like to move on to something new; and always worry the yarn I want to use will be discontinued (which has happened frequently, in my own defense).

Currently I'm test-knitting my own pattern for an oversized super bulky cowl, and just started the Redy Sweater.  I also am bound and determined to finish the Garter Squish I've been working on for almost a year.  It's another great way to use up small bits of yarn for anyone who's interested.  In addition to some basic mittens and hats, a Matrix sweater for DH and a River Tam sweater I will never finish in time for RICON in two weeks!  Ah well.

I have a shameful amount of sweater quantities of nice yarn. Mostly madeline tosh vintage and queensland kathmandu (tweed). I cannot go yarn shopping!

I did decide on cold breath for my madtosh vintage in thunderstorm colorway. I got the yoke completed and now get to go in circles of stockinette. After working a lace stole and a Jared flood sweater previously, I'm happy for some mindless knitting.

We have been knitting frill scarves for Christmas gifts.  I started a "normal' scarf, just garter stitch, for a Christmas gift. 

I've also been doing some crochet dish towels for Christmas gifts.  I want to pair them with a mug and cocoa mix or "cookies in a jar" gift

I have been knitting for just about a year now.  My daughter and I took a class back in VA before we moved.  We're both hooked.  I've done many dishcloths, and pairs of socks.  I have never knit only one sock at a time.  I used an online video class to learn to do two at a time with magic loop right away so I would never have to deal with 2nd sock syndrome.  Right now I'm knitting a Weasley sweater for my daughter.  Once that's done I'll start a pair of fingerless mitts for my eldest son.  I have a small stash because I love just going and looking at yarn, but never manage to not come home with some.  I just put in an order with KnitPicks for the yarn I needed for the fingerless mitts.  I ended up with 6 skeins instead of the one I'll need.   :w00t:

I have a shameful amount of sweater quantities of nice yarn. Mostly madeline tosh vintage and queensland kathmandu (tweed). I cannot go yarn shopping!

I did decide on cold breath for my madtosh vintage in thunderstorm colorway. I got the yoke completed and now get to go in circles of stockinette. After working a lace stole and a Jared flood sweater previously, I'm happy for some mindless knitting.

When dh complains about my yarn spending I will use you an example for how it could be worse. :lol:  You have how much Madeline Tosh??  :ohmy:

When dh complains about my yarn spending I will use you an example for how it could be worse. :lol: You have how much Madeline Tosh?? :ohmy:

A gal at my LYS was commenting that her dh walked into her craft studio and commented, "I bet you have a small fortune in knitting stuff." And she laughed and laughed and said, "Oh no, honey, I have a very very LARGE fortune in knitting stuff."

I use her example whenever my dh raises a brow and says, "Really? You need that?"

Really tho my dh is thrilled I have this hobby and is very supportive. And even tho I don't drink beer, I feel the same about his hobby.

I'm looking into the Knit Crate Newbies subscription. You get yarn, practice yarn, a pattern and videos. It looks like you progress through lots of different skills. It is expensive but I tend to obsess over what to do next to the point of spending more time thinking than knitting!!

Anyone have experience with Knit Crate products?  I am sure it is probably less expensive to buy the yarn and pattern somewhere else but I have no knowledge or experience outside cheap yarn from Walmart and would love to learn.

I am looking for something to occupy my time this winter as I can no longer cross-stitch due to my eyesight (even w/ readers or magnifying devices).  I want quality usable items for my effort and knitting seems to fit that bill.

I live in a rural location so if I could even find a yarn store I'd probably have to travel 1 or more hours each way so Knit Crate would be a great option.

So in a nutshell I want 1. quality yarn 2. hand holding videos to learn the stitches/techniques 3. to learn about yarn and how to read patterns.  I'd like to eventually seek out B&M stores but online ordering seems simpler to begin.

I joined Ravelry some time back any places there I should look?  I especially like the Tiny Owl Knits site.

I am open to any and all suggestions as I really need something to do in the winter once the snow and ice begin.

I have a friend who is no longer allowed to take credit cards to the Sheep and Wool festival. She spent $500 there last year!

I started knitting about a year ago and have become insanely and hopelessly addicted.

I took a great class online thru Craftsy for the top down Icelandic sweater. It really helped me get over my fear of (a) making a sweater that would actually fit (b) fair isle and © steeking!

I loved that you could look at the videos as many times as you wanted and go at your own pace.

I now have about 8 projects going. I like to have a few intricate ones and a few simple ones depending on what I am watching on tv.

Anyone have experience with Knit Crate products?  I am sure it is probably less expensive to buy the yarn and pattern somewhere else but I have no knowledge or experience outside cheap yarn from Walmart and would love to learn.

I am looking for something to occupy my time this winter as I can no longer cross-stitch due to my eyesight (even w/ readers or magnifying devices).  I want quality usable items for my effort and knitting seems to fit that bill.

I live in a rural location so if I could even find a yarn store I'd probably have to travel 1 or more hours each way so Knit Crate would be a great option.

So in a nutshell I want 1. quality yarn 2. hand holding videos to learn the stitches/techniques 3. to learn about yarn and how to read patterns.  I'd like to eventually seek out B&M stores but online ordering seems simpler to begin.

I joined Ravelry some time back any places there I should look?  I especially like the Tiny Owl Knits site.

I am open to any and all suggestions as I really need something to do in the winter once the snow and ice begin.

I am not familiar with Knit Crate, but I am getting the jist from your post.  Have you looked at Knitpics for yarn? I usually buy there. I find their prices quite competitive when compared to my local yarn store and I have always been happy with what I get. For video knitting lessons have you checked out YouTube? I turn there when I need help. And I get most of my patterns for free off of Ravelry. Occasionally I buy a book off of Amazon. I have been knitting long enough that there are knitting designers that I know I like and I buy their books.

I am not sure that is better than Knit Crate, but it is some more options. And, sometimes spending a bit of $$ can really be the answer, lol. So if Knit Crate is what works for you, then go for it.

I am not familiar with Knit Crate, but I am getting the jist from your post.  Have you looked at Knitpics for yarn? I usually buy there. I find their prices quite competitive when compared to my local yarn store and I have always been happy with what I get. For video knitting lessons have you checked out YouTube? I turn there when I need help. And I get most of my patterns for free off of Ravelry. Occasionally I buy a book off of Amazon. I have been knitting long enough that there are knitting designers that I know I like and I buy their books.

I am not sure that is better than Knit Crate, but it is some more options. And, sometimes spending a bit of $$ can really be the answer, lol. So if Knit Crate is what works for you, then go for it.

Thanks.  I'll check out Knitpics & Youtube videos.  I've already been looking at free patterns on Ravelry.

I started knitting about a year ago and have become insanely and hopelessly addicted.

I took a great class online thru Craftsy for the top down Icelandic sweater. It really helped me get over my fear of (a) making a sweater that would actually fit (b) fair isle and © steeking!

I loved that you could look at the videos as many times as you wanted and go at your own pace.

I now have about 8 projects going. I like to have a few intricate ones and a few simple ones depending on what I am watching on tv.

I am about half way through doing this free cabled afghan via CreativeBug.com

http://www.creativebug.com/workshop/cabled-afghan-knit-along/week1

She does an excellent job of explaining every square.

Another good place for donating is NICUs. When my son was in the NICU they had a box of items that they let people choose things, some people didn't go home for weeks and didn't have much time to buy baby things because their babies were early. 

Yes! This is a very good idea. In addition to helping your local hospital, there's also a charity called Warming The World http://www.warmingtheworldinc.org/ that sends preemie hats to hospitals in disadvantaged areas, both in the US and abroad.

My kids were both born early and spent time in NICUs. The one where my son was born had hat and blanket donations from crafters and it was a really nice way for the babies to look like individuals in that institutional setting.

Anyone have experience with Knit Crate products? I am sure it is probably less expensive to buy the yarn and pattern somewhere else but I have no knowledge or experience outside cheap yarn from Walmart and would love to learn.

I am looking for something to occupy my time this winter as I can no longer cross-stitch due to my eyesight (even w/ readers or magnifying devices). I want quality usable items for my effort and knitting seems to fit that bill.

So in a nutshell I want 1. quality yarn 2. hand holding videos to learn the stitches/techniques 3. to learn about yarn and how to read patterns. I'd like to eventually seek out B&M stores but online ordering seems simpler to begin.

I joined Ravelry some time back any places there I should look? I especially like the Tiny Owl Knits site.

Are you active on Ravelry? There is a KnitCrate group there that gives spoilers. You can look through at past packages and see if that looks like something you would like. The packages are different every month, but the point is you'd get a general idea of whether you would have liked the past ones. Hopefully that would give you some idea of whether to expect to enjoy future ones?

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/knitcrate

My son was in a NICU and they did not allow things from donations. We were allowed to bring in a baby quilt that could be draped over the the little isolation chamber thing the baby was in, but that was it. And the hospital would wash it themselves before it could be in the NICU. They didn't allow hats or blankets not from the hospital because they could not control for pet dander, smoke, germs etc.

I only put that out there because I don't want anyone knitting up a heap only to be surprised when either their local hospital won't take it or their local hospital doesn't have a NICU. When my son was born my local hospital didn't have one and my son was over an hour away from me.

My son was in a NICU and they did not allow things from donations. We were allowed to bring in a baby quilt that could be draped over the the little isolation chamber thing the baby was in, but that was it. And the hospital would wash it themselves before it could be in the NICU. They didn't allow hats or blankets not from the hospital because they could not control for pet dander, smoke, germs etc.

I only put that out there because I don't want anyone knitting up a heap only to be surprised when either their local hospital won't take it or their local hospital doesn't have a NICU. When my son was born my local hospital didn't have one and my son was over an hour away from me.

The one were were in allowed donated items and it was a large level IV regional NICU, we lived not far from a Children's hospital and there was a lot of babies there.  There was a room there for parents that had a computer, some things to read, and hot beverages. The box of items was kept in there and parents could choose things from it. They wouldn't put anything on the babies. My baby was on a bili blanket the whole time so he was pretty much naked the whole time he was there.

They have a guideline on their website.

http://www.childrensmercy.org/content/uploadedFiles/Departments/Volunteer_Services/artofgiving.pdf

Items to Make 
We ask that ALL handmade cloth items be freshly laundered to meet Infection 
Control guidelines. 
ï‚· To insure the safety of our patients, handmade items should not have 
small removable pieces that are easily pulled off. 
ï‚· Pattern information for the following hand-made items is available upon 
request from Volunteer Services (816) 234-3496. 
1. Toy/Book Bags: A durable cotton duck fabric is recommended, but patients 
also enjoy colorful print fabrics. Bags are approximately 14" x 16" and 
include a drawstring or attached handles. 
2. Infant Caps and Booties: All sizes are needed. Cap guidelines for babies in 
our Intensive Care Nursery are available upon request. 
3. Medical Play Dolls: These dolls are used to help hospitalized children 
express their feelings. The poly-filled fabric doll has a blank face and body to 
allow the children to draw on it. Guidelines for patterns are available upon 
request. 
4. Quilts/Blankets: Blankets are comforting to hospitalized children. They 
should be made of colorfast machine washable material. Quilts should 
measure approximately 40" x 32". 

I agree that checking with the NICU first is a good idea! Even hospitals that specifically want handmade items may have different guidelines and requirements for those items. The hospital where my son was born will only accept items made with acrylic or cotton yarn and everything has to be machine washable. They reuse the hats and blankets and put them through institutional washing machines and dryers, so they need to be pretty durable.

I knit some hats for an online friend who was giving them to a NICU near Chicago. That hospital welcomed hats knit with superwash wool; they told her that wool kept the babies' heads warmer and drier. Some hospitals, though, don't want any wool at all because of the possibility of wool allergies.

Bottom line for me is: research before sending things!