Menu

Knitters, what are you working on??

Moxie

If anyone's interested, this is a great book of ideas for knitting for charities, and includes organizations and addresses/contact info.  We've only knit blankets for animal shelters and premie hats, but there is so much more in there.  

I agree, great book. The author is a friend of mine. She also got to go on the bus trip on Saturday. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhhhh.....hi, everyone! Great thread, love that Link costume earlier, so cute!

I am working on the baby blanket I started for my niece, last year. It's almost done, but not quite. I can't believe how long this thing has taken me. I think part of the problem is I don't love the yarn. When I started it, baby wasn't born and they weren't finding out what they were having. So I have a very gender neutral yarn and now that "she" is born, it's not as inspiring. My goal is to get that thing done here ASAP. Afterward, I have some gorgeous lace socks I started last winter....I tend to not do much knitting in the summer. Now that it's finally getting cooler here, I'm getting excited about pulling out/starting some projects. I also want to show my dh that I'm knitting a lot, since I want the Caspian KnitPicks needles for Christmas. Swoon!!!!

Is that a good set?? I want to ask for interchangeables for my birthday but I need to do the research and find the best set.

I have the rainbow set :o and I love them. They yarn doesn't catch at the join and I've never had the join loosen, either. I think they are pretty sharp. All that being said, I don't have experience with any other needles. I just love the color of the Caspian set, so I must get them.

ETA: I forgot, I do have a pair or two of ChiaoGoo needles. Those are really sharp. I find the cable a bit more stiff, though.

Is that a good set?? I want to ask for interchangeables for my birthday but I need to do the research and find the best set.

I have that set and I LOVE them. I've tried several different brands of circular needles, including Addi Turbos, which many people love, and I prefer the KnitPicks ones. I have their straight needles, too, in both rainbow and the bluey-green color, and they are such a pleasure to knit with. The only issue is that when knitting multicolored yarn on the rainbow needles, it can be a bit difficult to see the stitches. That's why I had to buy the green set, too.  ;)

I have knitters pride Dreamz and love them, but I also have a set of Karnations, which is a crazy good deal for less than $50 and I love love LOVE the cables in them. The best cable on the market IMO.

I have knitters pride Dreamz and love them, but I also have a set of Karnations, which is a crazy good deal for less than $50 and I love love LOVE the cables in them. The best cable on the market IMO.

Haven't heard of these--link--but found this glowing review. Now I want some too!!!  :D

post-141-0-50901700-1414435725_thumb.jpgI had the Knitter's Pride Dreamz and those are great, but my favorite interchangables are the HiyaHiya ones.  I love the swivel cables.  I have the metal ones and my 12 year old daughter has the bamboo, I knit socks a lot so I love the sharps, but she mostly knits hats and blankets so she prefers the wood. 

Also wanted to show the finished weasley sweater I made for her for Christmas.  Not bad for my very first sweater ever.

post-141-0-50901700-1414435725_thumb.jpg

attachicon.giffinished weasley sweater for annika.jpgI had the Knitter's Pride Dreamz and those are great, but my favorite interchangables are the HiyaHiya ones. I love the swivel cables. I have the metal ones and my 12 year old daughter has the bamboo, I knit socks a lot so I love the sharps, but she mostly knits hats and blankets so she prefers the wood.

Also wanted to show the finished weasley sweater I made for her for Christmas. Not bad for my very first sweater ever.

That's awesome! I'm so tempted to make those.

That's awesome! I'm so tempted to make those.

It was so stinking easy to make.  They are meant to be baggie so they have a lot of forgiveness in size.  

Because I used worsted yarn instead of what it's written for I had to follow the pattern a little oddly.  I used the stitch count and decreases for the Adult L to get the width I wanted, and the Child L/Adult S instructions for length and letter placement.  A friend and made one before with an A on it so she shared her letter chart with me since the pattern only had one for an H.  She also gave me a tip of adding a few rows of seed stitch at the bottom to keep it from rolling up so much since it's not ribbed.  The link the pattern in my Revelry notebook.  I'm Nukeswife on Ravelry

It was so stinking easy to make. They are meant to be baggie so they have a lot of forgiveness in size.

Because I used worsted yarn instead of what it's written for I had to follow the pattern a little oddly. I used the stitch count and decreases for the Adult L to get the width I wanted, and the Child L/Adult S instructions for length and letter placement. A friend and made one before with an A on it so she shared her letter chart with me since the pattern only had one for an H. She also gave me a tip of adding a few rows of seed stitch at the bottom to keep it from rolling up so much since it's not ribbed. The link the pattern in my Revelry notebook. I'm Nukeswife on Ravelry

I sent you a friend request over there. Thinking of charting 10 different letters is what has kept me from diving in on that one. LOL

ETA: I'm caffinated412 over there.

I sent you a friend request over there. Thinking of charting 10 different letters is what has kept me from diving in on that one. LOL

ETA: I'm caffinated412 over there.

Friend request accepted. :)  You might be able to find some cross stitch charts that would work,  they are pretty simplistic letters

attachicon.giffinished weasley sweater for annika.jpgI had the Knitter's Pride Dreamz and those are great, but my favorite interchangables are the HiyaHiya ones.  I love the swivel cables.  I have the metal ones and my 12 year old daughter has the bamboo, I knit socks a lot so I love the sharps, but she mostly knits hats and blankets so she prefers the wood. 

Also wanted to show the finished weasley sweater I made for her for Christmas.  Not bad for my very first sweater ever.

I reached my like quota.  Love it!!

I finished an Elsa hat as part of my toddler's Halloween costume.  Super easy seed stitch basic hat with super bulky cheapo yarn.  I need to add the braided "hair" and then I'll start the fox hat.  Almost forgot about this project...

Mega update!  The socks that I started knitting for myself last April are done!!! The knitting was finished last week; for some reason I always dread the Kitchener Stitch and then, when completed, wonder why.

While avoiding the dreaded Kitchener, I cast on a basic sock for my son out of Knit Picks Stroll Tweed fingering weight.  Lovely stuff!  Several inches have flown by. 

Mega update! The socks that I started knitting for myself last April are done!!! The knitting was finished last week; for some reason I always dread the Kitchener Stitch and then, when completed, wonder why.

While avoiding the dreaded Kitchener, I cast on a basic sock for my son out of Knit Picks Stroll Tweed fingering weight. Lovely stuff! Several inches have flown by.

I think everyone hates something. I dread casting on. It's the worst part to me. My friend tho has many projects that only need the ends woven in bc she hates doing that. It's so silly, but there it is just the same and then once we're done we wonder what the mental fuss was about.

I think everyone hates something. I dread casting on. It's the worst part to me. My friend tho has many projects that only need the ends woven in bc she hates doing that. It's so silly, but there it is just the same and then once we're done we wonder what the mental fuss was about.

Me too! I'm knitting a cowl and casting on 200 stitches 'bout done me in. Plus, I always get the tail way too long and it feels so wasteful to me.

Mega update!  The socks that I started knitting for myself last April are done!!! The knitting was finished last week; for some reason I always dread the Kitchener Stitch and then, when completed, wonder why.

While avoiding the dreaded Kitchener, I cast on a basic sock for my son out of Knit Picks Stroll Tweed fingering weight.  Lovely stuff!  Several inches have flown by. 

Kitchener is one of those things I don't mind at all. Now provisional cast on . . . that's what always gets me. Those cowls that you knit flat and then kitchener at the end--I don't mind the kitchener part, it's the cast on I avoid. That's probably why I don't have any of those kinds of cowls. :laugh:

Oh and toe-up socks. Blah. And top-down hats. I hate the fiddly beginning so I avoid those kinds of patterns too.

Me too! I'm knitting a cowl and casting on 200 stitches 'bout done me in. Plus, I always get the tail way too long and it feels so wasteful to me.

You must use a long tail cast on? That's why I do a knitted cast on. The tail doesn't matter and less wasted yarn due to my miscalculation. Or worse, redoing the entire cast on bc I didn't leave enough tail.

Kitchener is one of those things I don't mind at all. Now provisional cast on . . . that's what always gets me. Those cowls that you knit flat and then kitchener at the end--I don't mind the kitchener part, it's the cast on I avoid. That's probably why I don't have any of those kinds of cowls. :laugh:

Oh and toe-up socks. Blah. And top-down hats. I hate the fiddly beginning so I avoid those kinds of patterns too.

I hate provisional cast on. But I love magic loop toe up socks using Judy's magic cast in method. I think it is way less fiddly than top down.

My yarn snob 13 yo wants some super soft wool or alpaca (no synthetics) for Christmas.  Anyone want to recommend some affordable alpaca yarns for me?  I was looking at Knitpicks but I've never tried their alpaca-only Blue Sky.

Okay. I have a love hate thing with alpaca. I LOVE it. I've never had someone I gave an alpaca project to not adore their gift. However, I swear if you look at it wrong it felts. I made an alpaca scarf for a son is a cammo color/pattern and he loves it, but it got slightly wet on a rainy day and felted. Then his dog drooled on him in excitment when he got home and ds tossed it in the wash and it really really felted. Now, he still loves it and wears it nearly every day. But it's more of a collar now. So for this reason I highly recommend an alpaca blend. Knit picks has some alpaca silk blends for a decent price, but Webs (yarn.com) has a ton of alpaca blends for a lot cheaper. (Less than $15) All alpaca is still going to be hand wash, but really alpaca is a delicate yarn when it is 100%. At least the ones I've bought have been. Loved them, but I only use 100% for lil old ladies. ;)

If she wants to try some nicer yarns, bamboo can be a fabulous substitute for cashmere without all the care hassle or cost. Silk is always nice too.

And you have to watch yardage to gauge if the price is really all that great, but I have found some really fabulous yarn at Tuesday Mornings. I just bought a linen/silk blend in a gorgeous Tiffany blue for $8 for 260 yards. Sometimes it's not that great a deal. It might be a great yarn for only $2-5, but it's not even 100 yards, so I usually pass on those.

There is a technique for casting on a bazillion stitches using the long-tail cast-on where you take both ends of the skein and knot or slip-knot them together--those are your first 2 stitches. Then you use both strands to cast on in the typical long-tail method. When you have all the stitches you need you cut one of the strands and just knit like usual with the other strand. I heard about this awhile back but haven't done any projects where I could use this technique. It helps you have enough yarn for the cast on since your "tail" never runs out, and you don't waste yarn from overestimating how long the tail should be.

The socks that I finished used toothpicks size one needles.  Size two needles do not bother me but ones drive me nuts.

Every time I use size one or zero needles, I think about the children in Victorian workhouses who knitted stockings for the well to do on size 000 needles.  I cannot imagine being in those dark holes doing that sort of fine work.

The socks that I finished used toothpicks size one needles. Size two needles do not bother me but ones drive me nuts.

Every time I use size one or zero needles, I think about the children in Victorian workhouses who knitted stockings for the well to do on size 000 needles. I cannot imagine being in those dark holes doing that sort of fine work.

I know right? I say all the time that I thank God my children's food is not dependent on my knitting bc they'd surely starve.

What's really crazy? They could work in dark holes bc they didn't have to look at their work. After knitting their entire lives, even without light or being blind those could do a better job than I can.

Does anyone have a suggestions for (really) beginner knitting videos? There seem to be a ton on Youtube. Recommended books or sites for beginners?

My mom taught me casting on and the English knit stitch a few years ago when she gave me my great-grandmother's old aluminum needles and tapestry knitting bag, but I really have to work hand things out a lot before I know them. It would be fun to surprise her with something. She's taught me to knit 3 or 4 times over the years and to crochet 5 or 6 times. I always forget. 

This thread has encouraged me to get the bag out of the closet and try to figure this out again. 

Does anyone have a suggestions for (really) beginner knitting videos? There seem to be a ton on Youtube. Recommended books or sites for beginners?

My mom taught me casting on and the English knit stitch a few years ago when she gave me my great-grandmother's old aluminum needles and tapestry knitting bag, but I really have to work hand things out a lot before I know them. It would be fun to surprise her with something. She's taught me to knit 3 or 4 times over the years and to crochet 5 or 6 times. I always forget.

This thread has encouraged me to get the bag out of the closet and try to figure this out again.

VeryPinkKnits on YouTube is amazing!!! Her blog has all her videos sorted by category.

Are you on Ravelry? I warn you it is highly addictive, but also very motivating. :)

I'm in a beginner knitter group over there and it's been wonderfully helpful since I started a year ago. They have a project a month and share tutorials and such to help do it. And there are mini-projects each month too.

I need to finish a blanket I started about four years, maybe five, years ago.  I used a seed stitch which requires constant thinking on my part.  I like to mindlessly knit while watching tv and this blanket does not fit into the "mindless" category. 

Are you on Ravelry? I warn you it is highly addictive, but also very motivating. :)

I'm in a beginner knitter group over there and it's been wonderfully helpful since I started a year ago. They have a project a month and share tutorials and such to help do it. And there are mini-projects each month too.

I joined up when I was ghosting this thread, but it's hard to find really entry-level content. It's so massive and people have different ideas of what 'beginner' means. I didn't even know the names of the stitches my mom taught me or specific equipment until I started googling around last night. 

I really just need to sit and practice casting on and knitting for awhile. I would love to know the name of your project group though. 

I joined up when I was ghosting this thread, but it's hard to find really entry-level content. It's so massive and people have different ideas of what 'beginner' means. I didn't even know the names of the stitches my mom taught me or specific equipment until I started googling around last night.

I really just need to sit and practice casting on and knitting for awhile. I would love to know the name of your project group though.

I think this is the right link to it. If not, you can send me your Rav name and I'll invite you.

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/beginners-knit-along-2

ETA:

I also don't own or recommend very many knitting books bc there is just so much out there on the net for free, kwim? However, ONE really decent well done book you can keep in your project bag as a reference tool can be very helpful.

I really like The Knitter's Handbook, Essential Skills & Helpful Hints from Knitter's Magazine

http://www.amazon.com/The-Knitters-Handbook-Essential-Magazine/dp/1893762211

And lastly, find some awesome people to knit with IRL. Rav has a way to search for local groups. There are four or five near my town. And local yarn stores (not craft stores like Micheals or Joanns) often have sit and knit/crochet nights. I love my one and only LYS and go to their knit nights. The gals and guys knitting together are great friendly people most of the time and we learn a lot from each other. If you to one and they don't seem as open and welcoming, then go to another or form your own. Some churches have them too. Kind of like the quilting bees our grandmothers had. Enthusiasm and knowledge are contagious, it helps to catch them by being around infectious people. ;)

And lastly, find some awesome people to knit with IRL. Rav has a way to search for local groups. There are four or five near my town. And local yarn stores (not craft stores like Micheals or Joanns) often have sit and knit/crochet nights. I love my one and only LYS and go to their knit nights. The gals and guys knitting together are great friendly people most of the time and we learn a lot from each other. If you to one and they don't seem as open and welcoming, then go to another or form your own. Some churches have them too. Kind of like the quilting bees our grandmothers had. Enthusiasm and knowledge are contagious, it helps to catch them by being around infectious people. ;)

It was worth my while to take a sock knitting class at the local yarn shop.  Perhaps there is a store in LostSurprise's area that offers a beginners class. Being able to ask questions and have mistakes corrected can be very helpful in the beginning.

It was worth my while to take a sock knitting class at the local yarn shop. Perhaps there is a store in LostSurprise's area that offers a beginners class. Being able to ask questions and have mistakes corrected can be very helpful in the beginning.

I agree. I learned to knit by taking a beginner knitting class at my LYS. Worth every penny of the $45. I learned the very basics, made three gift able projects and I was able to take off from there.

The socks that I finished used toothpicks size one needles.  Size two needles do not bother me but ones drive me nuts.

Every time I use size one or zero needles, I think about the children in Victorian workhouses who knitted stockings for the well to do on size 000 needles.  I cannot imagine being in those dark holes doing that sort of fine work.

:smilielol5: You hit the nail on the head, Jane! I made my father (aka: Bigfoot) a pair of socks for Christmas one year on size ones. I thought I would n.e.v.e.r. finish! My new motto is: If you get socks from me, they're from a size three!  I am still working on a pair of slipper socks for myself that I cast on in June. I have 1 1/2 inches left to knit before the toe on the final sock. I'm trying to finish them before the end of the year. (Hey! Christmas gifts come first, right?)

Okay. I have a love hate thing with alpaca. I LOVE it. I've never had someone I gave an alpaca project to not adore their gift. However, I swear if you look at it wrong it felts. I made an alpaca scarf for a son is a cammo color/pattern and he loves it, but it got slightly wet on a rainy day and felted. Then his dog drooled on him in excitment when he got home and ds tossed it in the wash and it really really felted. Now, he still loves it and wears it nearly every day. But it's more of a collar now. So for this reason I highly recommend an alpaca blend. Knit picks has some alpaca silk blends for a decent price, but Webs (yarn.com) has a ton of alpaca blends for a lot cheaper. (Less than $15) All alpaca is still going to be hand wash, but really alpaca is a delicate yarn when it is 100%. At least the ones I've bought have been. Loved them, but I only use 100% for lil old ladies. ;)

If she wants to try some nicer yarns, bamboo can be a fabulous substitute for cashmere without all the care hassle or cost. Silk is always nice too.

And you have to watch yardage to gauge if the price is really all that great, but I have found some really fabulous yarn at Tuesday Mornings. I just bought a linen/silk blend in a gorgeous Tiffany blue for $8 for 260 yards. Sometimes it's not that great a deal. It might be a great yarn for only $2-5, but it's not even 100 yards, so I usually pass on those.

Ohhhhhh nice.  I've tried bamboo once ages and ages ago.  I usually use Blue Sky Alpaca and a couple alpaca/silk/merino blends, but I was hoping for something a bit cheaper as money is tight.  I'll have to check yarn.com.  I usually order from Eat.Sleep.Knit and I do have a credit there.  My kiddo is a true yarn snob.  Such refined taste for one so young.  :lol:  She's tried to sneak off with my Lion & Lamb before. I just gave her a bunch of good Treliske and other merinos.  She dyed some of her own, but she wants her own alpaca. 

You can learn anything from youtube. I learned how to crochet from youtube. :lol:

Knittinghelp.com was such an enormous help to me ages ago.  I'm glad it's still up.

I am asking for this for my birthday:

http://www.yarn.com/marblz-knitting-needles/knitters-pride-marblz-interchangeable-needle-designer-set/

I already have a set of Addi interchangeable needles that I absolutely love, but the ones above are so pretty. Plus, I usually have so many works in progress that sometimes I need multiples of the same size needles.

I also just received an awesome sock knitting book in the mail -- "Around the World in Knitted Socks". I love doing color work and I love working on small needles and this book has lots of patterns with both those things.

I am asking for this for my birthday:

http://www.yarn.com/marblz-knitting-needles/knitters-pride-marblz-interchangeable-needle-designer-set/

I already have a set of Addi interchangeable needles that I absolutely love, but the ones above are so pretty. Plus, I usually have so many works in progress that sometimes I need multiples of the same size needles.

I also just received an awesome sock knitting book in the mail -- "Around the World in Knitted Socks". I love doing color work and I love working on small needles and this book has lots of patterns with both those things.

I just saw those mentioned over on Rav and I thought that was neat. I haven't seen acrylic needles before, just metals, wood, and bamboo. Thise sorta remind me of lava lamps. Fun!

If crochet counts, I'm working on a blanket for my youngest grandson. It's not a baby blanket, but more like a toddler/preschool blanket and I got the idea from MIL. She knitted a baby blanket (the same yellow color with white border) for all of her grandkids, until ds came along. She finally realized that they outgrow the baby blanket quickly but if she made it bigger it would last longer. So she made ds' bigger and it "fit" until he was almost 5 years old. 

When the first grandson came along, I followed MIL's idea. Since I crochet better than I knit, I crocheted a blanket which I gave dss and ddil when dgs turned one. I'll try to do the same for this little guy, but with a July birthday he won't actually need it until he's nearer to two. 

Oh, and unlike MIL I'm making this one a different color and pattern so the parents and each boy will know which blanket is which.

If crochet counts, I'm working on a blanket for my youngest grandson. It's not a baby blanket, but more like a toddler/preschool blanket and I got the idea from MIL. She knitted a baby blanket (the same yellow color with white border) for all of her grandkids, until ds came along. She finally realized that they outgrow the baby blanket quickly but if she made it bigger it would last longer. So she made ds' bigger and it "fit" until he was almost 5 years old.

When the first grandson came along, I followed MIL's idea. Since I crochet better than I knit, I crocheted a blanket which I gave dss and ddil when dgs turned one. I'll try to do the same for this little guy, but with a July birthday he won't actually need it until he's nearer to two.

Oh, and unlike MIL I'm making this one a different color and pattern so the parents and each boy will know which blanket is which.

Crochet absolutely counts! I crochet too. I love crocheting baby stuff bc the baby doesn't outgrow it faster than I made it. I can crochet a baby blanket in a couple days, but it would take me a month or longer to knit something that big.

I've never done Kitchner stitch.  I have made a few pairs of socks, and always, always do the Two at a Time Magic Loop method Toe up with Judy's magic cast one and Jeny's super stretchy Bind off.  I learned to do socks with a video PDF course on www.knittinghelp.com

I cast on for one of the set of fingerless mitts for my eldest 2 days ago.  Today while he was getting his wisdom teeth out I managed to get the hand and thumb gusset done on this one. I should be able to finish it tomorrow and start on the 2nd one.  Next time since this pattern doesn't matter which hand they go on as the pattern goes all around, I'll try them 2 at a time. 

I'm using the Stroll Tonal Sock Yarn from KnitPicks in the Canopy Colorway.  It's just gorgeous. He's going to love them.

I finally sat down last night and practiced. Lots of casting on and pulling it apart and attempting to knit again. The KnittingHelp videos were helpful and closer to what my mom taught me. She casts on more like my mother does, and it was so interesting because she did  'lefty knitting!' My mother is a lefty who knits in a version of the Continental style, although I'm not sure anyone taught her that. Lefties so often have to find their own way of doing things. 

She taught me English knitting because she thinks that is the 'right' way but it was fun to see a name for what she does. 

I'd say one of my difficulties is that my knitting is too tight. Do I just need to get a feel for it or is there a specific problem for too-tight stitches? Maybe I just need to slow down my casting. It flows so nicely but I probably pull them too tight. 

There are no groups in my area. I think the closest shop is 45m away. That's not be too bad for shopping but it's not easy to nip out and knit for a few hours at night. 

Thanks for your help, ladies! I'll try to move on to purling this weekend. 

I finally sat down last night and practiced. Lots of casting on and pulling it apart and attempting to knit again. The KnittingHelp videos were helpful and closer to what my mom taught me. She casts on more like my mother does, and it was so interesting because she did 'lefty knitting!' My mother is a lefty who knits in a version of the Continental style, although I'm not sure anyone taught her that. Lefties so often have to find their own way of doing things.

She taught me English knitting because she thinks that is the 'right' way but it was fun to see a name for what she does.

I'd say one of my difficulties is that my knitting is too tight. Do I just need to get a feel for it or is there a specific problem for too-tight stitches? Maybe I just need to slow down my casting. It flows so nicely but I probably pull them too tight.

There are no groups in my area. I think the closest shop is 45m away. That's not be too bad for shopping but it's not easy to nip out and knit for a few hours at night.

Thanks for your help, ladies! I'll try to move on to purling this weekend.

Tight knitting is a very common problem for new knitters. You'll loosen up over time and practice. I did. :)

also there is not right or wrong method when it comes to Continental or English.  I used to knit english because that's how all the "how to" books showed it when I was a kid, I was always too tight that way.  Then when my daughter wanted to learn to knit she started knitting continental.  Our teacher showed us both ways and said to pick which one was comfortable for you.  She also taught us a few types of cast ons.  I prefer long tail since most of what I do needs to have a little stretch on the cast on edge.  I switched to continental knitting because of my daughter.  I figured if I did it that way then if she needed help I would know what I was doing.  I much prefer it, less hand fatigue for me that way.  I also don't have the tightness problem with continental.  

On a side note I finished the mitts I started a couple days ago.  

post-141-0-02868500-1414780409_thumb.jpg

post-141-0-02868500-1414780409_thumb.jpg

I'm right there with your friend. I hate weaving in ends and projects often sit almost done for a long time waiting for me to do that most tedious (to me) task. :)

I finally sat down last night and practiced. Lots of casting on and pulling it apart and attempting to knit again. The KnittingHelp videos were helpful and closer to what my mom taught me. She casts on more like my mother does, and it was so interesting because she did  'lefty knitting!' My mother is a lefty who knits in a version of the Continental style, although I'm not sure anyone taught her that. Lefties so often have to find their own way of doing things. 

One of the reasons I rarely knit is because I'm left handed. I've been told in person, and have seen it written in books and online, that I should just knit Continental style. After all, I'd be holding the yarn in my left hand they say. I've often wanted to say to people who tell me that, "How about you hold the yarn in your right hand and work the needle with your left. Tell me if it's easy. Are you knitting right-handed by holding the yarn like that? No? Hmmm." Anyway, I keep my mouth shut and do my own thing, which I suppose is what your mom had to do. We do have to find our own way. I knit truly left-handed moving the yarn from the right needle to the left.

I found a website called The Left Out Knitter years ago, ordered a DVD, and loved it. I waited anxiously for her next DVD. Tragically, the woman was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and understandably gave up her knitting site. The Knitting Site has a few videos for lefty knitters.

Re: stashes. When my MIL could no longer knit, she gave me all of her needles plus what was left of her stash. Most of her yarn was really old and not very good quality. I wouldn't use it for myself, nor would I give it away (neither as gift items or charity). I did however, find a use for it. I use it to practice various stitches and patterns. 

I finished the baby blanket and got it out in the mail. Whew! I attached a pic - love the pattern, don't love the yarn, but so it goes.

I second Knittinghelp.com. That site has been amazing. I taught myself to knit using basically only KH videos. So easy to watch and understand her videos.

I'm right there with your friend. I hate weaving in ends and projects often sit almost done for a long time waiting for me to do that most tedious (to me) task. :)

One of the reasons I rarely knit is because I'm left handed.

That's the thing I hate, as well. It's not like it's hard! For me, I think it's getting out a different tool (needle).  I'm also a lefty, but I taught myself to knit right-handed. I never really thought about it until I've seen a few people recently talking about which hand you knit with. I don't know that I would have been able to teach myself watching all those videos backwards...