Menu

Dr. Hive....what in the world are these spots on my daughter??

kfeusse

Over the last several days my daughter has had little raised, pimplily like (or blister like) spots show up on her body...mostly on her hands and one elbow. She found a few more this morning on her leg. She says they itch.

I just looked up bed bugs...and that isn't what they look like.

They aren't red or blotchy...the main way she discovers them is by feeling them...they are raised. They are spreading...but only to her...nobody else has them.

What do you think this could be. At first I thought chicken pox...but she has had the shot and they haven't spread like that all over her body...or all at once...they keep showing up little by little over the course of several days.

so if you have any thoughts, please share. thanks.

Just because she had the shot does not mean she can't get chicken pox.  Its not common but it can happen.  I found out after baby number 2 that my body does not accept the Rubella vaccine. Do the spots itch?  Could it be fleas?  Maybe an allergic reaction to a hand soap or lotion.  It could also be an allergic reaction to an animal.  I used to be a vet tech and some dogs (not all) would make my arms break out like that.  It was generally only where my skin made contact with theirs

Poison ivy rash can continue to show up and spread for a couple of weeks, although to worst of it usually breaks out within the first 4-7 days.  I had a bad case on my hand in the spring, which I spread to my waist and leg before I knew I had come in contact with it.  New blisters continued to form for quite a while.

If the blisters are really spread out then I would go with chicken pox.

Every fall I get itchy bumps on my hands.  It started with one about 20 years ago on my finger and now I get a few on my hands and arms, especially my fingers.  They are not red just random bumps that are very itchy.  My doctors linked it to my allergy of tree mold which is pretty pronounced during the fall. They start around October (when leaves are falling here) and usually are gone by the end of November.  You may want to check with an allergist to see if an environmental factor is affecting your daughter.

*Varicella is usually vesicular (fluid filled blisters sort of like dew drops on petals) lesions on red base and they also are usually in various stages of healing so you should have some fresh vesicles,  and some unroofed and scabbed over lesions.  

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDy7eO5CU6CAjXYDYdFyPtaFrWjUt8tevymyXuXtoVMmzjR5OP

*Rheus Dermatitis can also be blistered and can have a bit of a variable course but there is a different pattern and the exposure history.  Has she been around Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, or Poison Sumac?

contact_dermatitis_04rhus050501.jpg

*Molluscum lesions are umbilicated (or sort of hollowed out in the center).  You find episodic outbreaks of these sometimes in daycare centers or preschool.

molluscum_sperling_thb.jpg

Are they mostly in between her fingers (in the web spaces)?  If they are then scabies is another thought.  Scabies is more of a bumpy (not blisters) rash but since it is very itchy you often see a lot of excoriations where they have scratched it open.  The itching is usually worse at night.

scabies001.jpg

they are not red at all...they are itchy and the ones on her hand are painful she says....especially those on her fingers and when she tries to write or pick something up. The pictures above look NOTHING like what she has...just for a frame reference. The post about teh tree mold allergy sounds pretty close....what did you do for that??

DD6 has what I think is moluscum.  Hers don't have a divot and are flesh colored but align with all the other symptoms and have progressed in the typical pattern.  They aren't really red unless she bothers them and then the skin gets irritated.

they are not red at all...they are itchy and the ones on her hand are painful she says....especially those on her fingers and when she tries to write or pick something up. The pictures above look NOTHING like what she has...just for a frame reference. The post about teh tree mold allergy sounds pretty close....what did you do for that??

I use an OTC allergy like Claritin and sometimes when they are especially itchy I use a cortizone cream.  

Sounds like chicken pox.  Doesn't matter if she's had the shot.  I'd bring her in to get it checked.

Actually, also sounds like poison ivy...

Dd10 had chicken pox this past spring and she had a shot.  The dr. refused to believe it was chicken pox and told us to treat her for scabies, which it definitely wasn't.  Just wanting to warn you that some doctors will refuse to acknowledge chicken pox if they've had the vaccine.  The CDC has good photos of chicken pox on a child who has had the vaccination - scroll down a bit.

http://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/photos.html

ETA: sorry, just read that the spots were not red - so probably not chicken pox.

Maybe

Dyshidrosis  another link

I get it from using cheap or even some mid -level hand lotions.  I can use high quality, more natural lotions all day long, but something that they use in standard lotions breaks my fingers out out every time. 

not this...the spots are isolated from each other...not a bunch together, like that...and they aren't that big...they are tiny..like dull pencil led sized small....

not this...the spots are isolated from each other...not a bunch together, like that...and they aren't that big...they are tiny..like dull pencil led sized small....

What you're describing is exactly what I went through that was diagnosed as dyshidrosis. They were isolated and very small and flesh-colored. Often, you couldn't even see them, just feel where the skin was raised. But, it was extremely painful. I often got them on the sides of my fingers and that made doing things with my hands very painful. It went away after my last pregnancy.

I get the same type of tiny, blister-like, itches-like-crazy bumps between my fingers when I get too stressed.  I'd always heard it was eczema, but hadn't known anyone else that had eczema between their fingers like I did.  Looking at the link/photos of dyshidrosis, I think that's what I probably get.  It's probably what your DD has too.

Does she have nasal allergies or is she stressed about something? Both of those appear to be risks in getting it, although everything I read said nobody knows why.

What you're describing is exactly what I went through that was diagnosed as dyshidrosis. They were isolated and very small and flesh-colored. Often, you couldn't even see them, just feel where the skin was raised. But, it was extremely painful. I often got them on the sides of my fingers and that made doing things with my hands very painful. It went away after my last pregnancy.

this is more like it.  So what can she do for this....or do we need to see a doctor?