Menu

What does it mean when someone says 'you've been on my mind and in my prayers lately'??

PeacefulChaos

I mean, I guess it means the obvious.

But then I can't help but think, 'Does she think something is wrong with me?  Why does she think I need extra prayers and thoughts from her?  And an extra dose of encouragement?'  

I'm probably nuts.  I will admit, I've become a little skeptical of people as of late and I'm pretty sure the thinking is all in my head - she's just saying it to be nice, right??  Not because something in my actions or whatever would leave her to believe otherwise???

(I haven't been at church regularly since I started my job, which makes me wonder, too, if she thinks I'm just not coming.  So I don't know whether to reply and say something about my job.  But then I think I'm overthinking it.  So I don't even know how to reply.  Just say, 'Thanks?'  Or just say nothing?)

I really don't know when I became so guarded (well, yes I do, but that's a whole other story) ... I'm overthinking, right?  She's just being nice?  

I feel so silly even asking... :lol:

Depends on the person. It could mean, 'for some reason you've been on my mind lately, and I said a prayer for you. How are you?'

or it could mean, 'I noticed you were not at X event, and you should have been, so tell me what excuse you have, and I'm trying to phrase this as if caring for you, but I'm actually trying to show you up.'

I like the first, I don't like the second. So it would depend on who the person is and how they said it.

• Like 7

Gosh, if I said that, I'd only mean that I'd been thinking about you and hope all is well.

I believe sometimes the Holy Spirit encourages us to pray for one another by pricking the conscience, iykwim.

I would never mean it in a busy body way, nor would any of my friends.

Sheesh. What kind of friends do you people have?  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 14

If she's a friend, then it means that you've been on her mind and she's prayed for you. Maybe because she knows you're busy with a new job.

If she's a busy-body, then it may mean something else. But for most people it is just being nice.

:iagree:

I think my reaction would also depend on her tone. If she said it in a patronizing way, I wouldn't like it, but otherwise, I would think she was probably just saying the equivalent of, "Hey, I was thinking about you the other day." Also, if you have complained about something recently or someone in your family has been ill, I would assume she was trying to be encouraging and supportive.

Without knowing the woman, it's hard to determine her intent.

• Like 2

I would be inclined to take it as, "I'm aware something is wrong, and, of course, you know it what it is since it's so obvious, and I'm concerned, so I'm praying about it for you."

Then, I'd go home and start stressing about which shortcoming I have that's so obvious that someone is picking up on it.  Because I have that mind-set.

But, you know, thinking about it....

I have recently been so blessed by some people who have entered our life, who have helped us when they were under no obligation to do so.  I find myself occasionally so full of gratitude that I have prayed for them, both expressing my gratitude, and asking for every good thing to come to them.  I don't think I would ever tell them I was praying for them, though....

• Like 1

But then I can't help but think, 'Does she think something is wrong with me?  Why does she think I need extra prayers and thoughts from her?  And an extra dose of encouragement?'  

I'm probably nuts.  I will admit, I've become a little skeptical of people as of late and I'm pretty sure the thinking is all in my head - she's just saying it to be nice, right??  Not because something in my actions or whatever would leave her to believe otherwise???

(I haven't been at church regularly since I started my job, which makes me wonder, too, if she thinks I'm just not coming.  So I don't know whether to reply and say something about my job.  But then I think I'm overthinking it.  So I don't even know how to reply.  Just say, 'Thanks?'  Or just say nothing?)

I really don't know when I became so guarded (well, yes I do, but that's a whole other story) ... I'm overthinking, right?  She's just being nice?  

I have to admit, it would give me pause. Sometimes I wonder about gossip. I live in a very small town in the south... :p It's wise to consider the source. If you know her to be an honestly sweet, caring person...then she probably prays for you because she cares. Not all prayers are offered as a knee-jerk reaction to problems. Some just seek blessing on your behalf. OTOH, If they are really sensitive, they can sense a need for prayers without even knowing why. I have experienced all of these, from bad to good.

See, I don't understand the "there must be something wrong with me" thoughts.   I'm used to my friends supporting me and praying for me all the time and not using it as a weapon.  And when things are tough, I don't see them somehow thinking that I caused it to be tough.  And that is how I approach prayer and just thinking of them as well.  

• Like 6

There is a lady at my parents' church who says that to people to get them to open up to her. She likes feeling useful and likes being able to say, "Oh, I know. She told me ages ago!"

Some people I think are more genuine, especially if they know you're going through something.

And some people really do seem to KNOW. I have a friend who will often call or text just at the right time.

Random person I'd just say thanks and move on along. :)

• Like 1

I would only say this to someone if they'd been coming to my thoughts, seemingly out of nowhere, often enough that I thought it was a prompting of the Holy Spirit to pray for them.

I would never, ever say that to someone who I was trying to correct, or get to show up at a church service in some sort of passive aggressive way.

However, I have been at one church where there were a few women who would talk that way - passive aggressive and manipulative.

So my advice would be that while love assumes the best of every person (1 Cor 13), it's also true that a companion of wise men shall be wise, but a companion of fools will be destroyed (Prov 13:20).  So if you have direct experience that indicates this woman is horrible and passive aggressive, avoid her.  Otherwise, give her grace and assume she means she likes you and would like to be closer to you.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I'm thinking it's probably just her being nice, or actually me just coming to her mind but not in a bad way.  

That's my assumption.  She's a very nice person, and thus far hasn't been one that I've noticed being anything but nice... she does tend to hang with some of the...uh...uber-religious of the church (who are all very nice, and I wouldn't see them saying anything in a gossipy way, more of a, 'why haven't you been here?!' way), but she's always been really nice.

Its hard, becoming skeptical of people.  :P  You second guess everything.  :lol:

I would assume she is being kind and thinking of me and praying for things like health and whatever else she normally prays about for people. It never dawned on me that a person would mean something else by it. I am flattered when people say they have been thinking about me and praying for me. Most people know my struggles with various issues both personal and concerning my kids, so maybe they mean that, but I welcome that too.

If I said it someone, I could mean several different things.

I've been thinking about them a lot but don't remember to pray as often as I'd like to.

I believe God has led me to pray for them, but I might not be *that* close to them that I am ready to tell them this. (But I would tell them if the conversation continued.)

I know something about them that they don't know that I know, and I have been praying about this specific thing.  (Usually this is in the context of something their older or adult children are going through that I've heard about from someone else, or I've seen on FB.)

• 2 years later...

I would just chalk it up as extra goodness landing in my court (whether it's because of the power of prayer or just because of the nice thought that someone was thinking of you/caring enough to say hello, or whatever way you choose to accept it to light up your day), so I'd just say "thanks" & be on my way.

I wouldn't obsess or second-guess. It's great (& probably likely) she meant it genuinely. But, even if she didn't or was trying to pry info out of you or something, that would be her shortcoming, not yours, kwim? I'd still just smile, accept it with grace by saying thanks, & walk away.

Win-win.

I've seen this used as a nice comment and a passive-aggressive one so I would consider the source. I would find it odd to be honest but I'm naturally skeptical and being non-Christian in an area where it's "expected" I always find it a little disturbing. It always seems more like they're praying for me because they assume something is "wrong" with me because I won't attend/belief that church. Adds an extra element of suspicion to any comments like that. If you attend church with this woman though I'd be less suspicious, especially since you mention she's sweet. She probably was just wanting to let you know she'd been thinking about you and wishing you well. I'd just say "thanks" and let it be.

I know, right? I got all excited to see Cat before I realized it was zombie. :(

Me, too. 

Have there been any updates? I haven't seen anything since she first stopped posting. I've been trying to keep an eye out, but it's easy to miss things. 

Me, too.

Have there been any updates? I haven't seen anything since she first stopped posting. I've been trying to keep an eye out, but it's easy to miss things.

I haven't seen anything in a while. We badgered her into an update a while ago - a month, maybe? I've lost track. It sounded like her DH was doing well, but the transplant (obviously) made enormous changes in their lifestyle and daily functioning.

I haven't seen anything in a while. We badgered her into an update a while ago - a month, maybe? I've lost track. It sounded like her DH was doing well, but the transplant (obviously) made enormous changes in their lifestyle and daily functioning.

I had missed even that, so thank you. 

• Like 1

Never mind.  Just saw it was an old thread. 

Edited by TranquilMind