Menu

So, what wuld you do.....

KrissiK

If you had a neighbor girl the same age as your kids, who is a nice girl, generally, but seems to have little supervision and is always "sick" and not attending school. She did this the week before Christmas. We were done with schoo, for the day and all the sudden I look out at 1:00 and she's playing in my backyard with my kids. I questioned her, gave her the old, "if your're too sick to go to school, you're too sick to be playing here" speech and sent her home. Supposedly Grandpa is home, I see a car. She was home early from school yesterday because she was "tired",(which means someone picked her up and knew she was at home) but then she "rested" and was out playing. I really don't know these neighbors (they just moved in a couple months ago) and I feel uncomfortable confronting them about this. She's home again today, the kids are forbidden to play with her, but they want to go out in the front and shoot hoops and if she sees them.... I know I'm kind of being a weenie about this whole thing, but they supposedly know she's staying home, so all I'd be doing is calling their daughter a liar.

Guest inoubliable

Why would you want to do anything? :confused1: There could be all kinds of reasons why she's home and not in school. I have a cousin who missed a lot of school when she was younger because of her asthma. She'd have horrible flares at night and would get practically no sleep and be a zombie until after lunch. Quite honestly, you're not due an explanation of why she's not in school. If you don't want your kids playing with her after your school hours for whatever reason, then just stick to that reason.

I don't see why it should be any of your business why she is not in school. She can have medical issues, she can be bullied, she may be going part-time -none of this requires any action on your part. I would be livid if strangers admonished my child for playing outside on a school day. And I would certainly not confront any strangers about the reasons their child is out and about. Don't we homeschoolers all hate when that happens yo us?

Why would you want to do anything? :confused1: There could be all kinds of reasons why she's home and not in school. I have a cousin who missed a lot of school when she was younger because of her asthma. She'd have horrible flares at night and would get practically no sleep and be a zombie until after lunch. Quite honestly, you're not due an explanation of why she's not in school. If you don't want your kids playing with her after your school hours for whatever reason, then just stick to that reason.

This. I know a girl with severe anxiety problems, to the point she's on an IEP. There are many days she can't go to school at all.

What did she do that you've forbidden your kids to play with her?

She's ditching school. She's out in the streets playing during school hours. Last time I checked, if kids are healthy they need to be in school, And if they are sick, too sick to be in school, they should be inside resting, or at least not spreading their germs. My kids are forbidden to play with her during the hours that she's supposed to be in school until I am informed that she is being homeschooled. I realize there are medical/emotional reasons for kids not to be in regular school, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Why do I care? Well, what she's doing is wrong, and by letting my kids play with her during school hours, IMO, is encouraging her in her wrongdoing. Besides, even though I know I am within my legal rights to homeschool, I still try to fly below the radar and I just don't like the idea of a truant officer coming down our street seeing a bunch of kids playing basketball in the early afternoon when everyone else should be in school. Fwiw, I'm not planning on confronting the parents, but apparently I am odd that it bothers me.

If she said she left school "sick" that day, then I'd tell her to go home instead of spreading sickness to my house tyvm.

However, maybe her wording is wrong. There are lots of reasons someone could not be able to be at school and still go outside to play. In some families "sick" doesn't just mean viral whatever. It means they have some health issue going on. Saying "sick" is just easier than explaining all their issues that really aren't anyone's business anyways.

Guest inoubliable

She's ditching school. She's out in the streets playing during school hours.

You don't know for sure that she's ditching school, though....

I think the idea is that if the girl is too sick to go to school, she may be contagious and OP doesn't want her own kids to get sick. I think it's absolutely her business since this child is showing up to play.

It doesn't sound like this is the OP's concern though.

I consider it within a parent's discretion how seriously to take school attendance with their own children, so I wouldn't impose social consiquences on a child in a situation like this.

I would be concerned, and perhaps try to befriend these neigbours -- just as a normal course, but also so that I wouldn't be speculating without any data. There are thousands of things that might be happening other than "ditching school" .

Truancy is defined by law and enforced by law -- not a neigbor's role. Neglect is sometimes observed by neigbours, so if you know the laws of your area and feel there might be an issue of neglect, you would know how to make that report.

Guest inoubliable

It doesn't sound like this is the OP's concern though.

Aye. What I got out of the OP was that she's convinced that the little girl is shady, that she doesn't know the neighbors and doesn't feel comfy talking to them but has already decided that they aren't supervising the little girl adequately, and so she's made the decision that this little girl isn't the right sort to be friends with her kids. It doesn't sound like there's a question of "what to do", but rather a "just agree with me that this situation is shady and I'm in the right to keep her away from my kids". I have a feeling that this should have been a JAWM post from the beginning.

I completely get this concern. We have several similar issues with neighbor kids. I would just be firm that if she is home sick for any part of the day, then she is not allowed to play with your girls. I hate that feeling of not being able to send your kids outside to play without all the neighborhood problems running to you, but I know it all too well. I wouldn't worry about having to supervise her during school hours either. If she is home sick, it is her family's responsibility, not yours (easier said than done I know).

Aye. What I got out of the OP was that she's convinced that the little girl is shady, that she doesn't know the neighbors and doesn't feel comfy talking to them but has already decided that they aren't supervising the little girl adequately, and so she's made the decision that this little girl isn't the right sort to be friends with her kids. It doesn't sound like there's a question of "what to do", but rather a "just agree with me that this situation is shady and I'm in the right to keep her away from my kids". I have a feeling that this should have been a JAWM post from the beginning.

No, my kids can play with her. Just not when she's supposed to be at school. She comes knocking at the door at 11:00am to play with my first grader who is done with school for the day.and it may not e so much of a JAWM, but a "does anyone have this problem and does it bother anyone?" Sorry. I must have been vague.

Guest inoubliable

No, my kids can play with her. Just not when she's supposed to be at school. She comes knocking at the door at 11:00am to play with my first grader who is done with school for the day.and it may not e so much of a jaws, but a "does anyone have this problem and does it bother anyone?" Sorry. I must have been vague.

*sigh* That's my point. You seem to have made the decision that this girl should be in school, without knowing anything about her situation. That's a pretty big assumption. If your kid is done for the day, and the little girl seems to be free (and you have no reason to suspect that she isn't), then what is the problem?? That's why it's coming across like you just have a problem with the little girl and how she's raised.

FWIW, I don't have this problem. I wouldn't consider it a "problem", and certainly not my business, so it wouldn't bother me.

No, my kids can play with her. Just not when she's supposed to be at school. She comes knocking at the door at 11:00am to play with my first grader who is done with school for the day.and it may not e so much of a jaws, but a "does anyone have this problem and does it bother anyone?" Sorry. I must have been vague.

See, I completely agree with this. This behavior is disruptive and rude to the homeschooling family. It is a reasonable expectation that most kids are in school during school hours, and I would not like this interruption either. It is not so much about why she is not in school as it is that she is bothering them during the daytime.

OP, I would put signs on the door that you are just not available to play. That is what I have to do. The neighborhood kids know now that even if my kids are in the backyard, they are not allowed to play if the sign is on the door. You don't have to have a reason, you can just make your kids unavailable whenever you want. :)

Guest inoubliable

See, I completely agree with this. This behavior is disruptive and rude to the homeschooling family. It is a reasonable expectation that most kids are in school during school hours, and I would not like this interruption either. It is not so much about why she is not in school as it is that she is bothering them during the daytime.

OP, I would put signs on the door that you are just not available to play. That is what I have to do. The neighborhood kids know now that even if my kids are in the backyard, they are not allowed to play if the sign is on the door. You don't have to have a reason, you can just make your kids unavailable whenever you want. :)

OP said this was happening AFTER they were done for the day. Not an interruption. That wasn't the issue.

Just because they are done with school for the day, doesn't mean it isn't an interruption into family time. Our neighborhood is crowded and we like our private family time. It would bother me regardless, but when we are home I like to be home by ourselves. We spend so much time running around, that we like to chill at home. That may or may not be the OP's issue.

No, my kids can play with her. Just not when she's supposed to be at school. She comes knocking at the door at 11:00am to play with my first grader who is done with school for the day.and it may not e so much of a JAWM, but a "does anyone have this problem and does it bother anyone?" Sorry. I must have been vague.

I don't get it. If she's not interrupting school, what the problem?

Guest inoubliable

Just because they are done with school for the day, doesn't mean it isn't an interruption into family time. Our neighborhood is crowded and we like our private family time. It would bother me regardless, but when we are home I like to be home by ourselves. We spend so much time running around, that we like to chill at home. That may or may not be the OP's issue.

Mhmm. And, again, OP didn't state that it was interrupting anything. Her kids were already outside playing or wanting to go outside and play. All goes back to "I just don't like this kid and I don't want her around".

Yeah, you came off as a little judgy.

I do have this problem with the 11yo cutie across the street. When she's off school for the day, she calls asking if she can spend the day with us so she doesn't have to go to work with her mom. She is an only and can have trouble blending in with the rhythms of our larger family, particularly on homeschooling days, so I just tell her no not during school time. She also comes poking around early on half days. I just tell her the girls aren't allowed to play until after 3 but if we are able to get done sooner then I'll send them over. Kids often don't understand that homeschooling doesn't mean playing video games in pj's all day.

When we lived in a neighborhood, I got tired of the constant "can you play?" Especially from kids I wasn't too fond of. So sue me.

If I had any reason to believe a child was behind dishonest or that there was a fishy situation with a family, I would be careful of my child's interactions.

While I fully agree that three could be something else going on, I would be more cautious until I knew the whole story.

But then, I'm not the mom that lets my kids run the neighborhood (I always know where they are) or even ride bikes in the street. Different strokes. They are your kids and I'd trust your gut, especially of there is a trust issue.

Krissi,

There could be some issues that are going on that are health related but maybe they resolve themselves by the time she comes over.

It sounds like you are genuinely concerned. Many people would agreed with the idea that if you're too sick for school, you're too sick too play outside. I don't see that as judgemental. You are not a mind reader.

If you want her to play when she is home sick, ask one of her family members if she is contagious or ready for physical activity.

I'd practice with my children telling her something like..."Family time here, sorry we can't play...See you later, have a nice day."

I wouldn't bother interfering with her family unless I thought it was neglect. I think as the mom, it falls on us to send them home. It doesn't have to be negative or hurtful....A simple it's time for you to go home now is really all that is necessary.

If the kid told me she was sick, I would ask her what was wrong with her. I mean, if she comes over during school hours and volunteers info, I would have no qualms about asking further questions. Then, send her on her way if she is sick. Or, maybe she provides more info on the situation.

Personally, I'd be a little leery of letting my homeschooled kids hang out with someone ditching school. (If that is the scenario.) It seems like it could get confusing if it was questioned by anyone.

I would try to get to know the adults in her life a bit better so I could make an informed decision about whether this should concern me.

There are certainly poor excuses for a child to be out of school when not physically ill.

And there are certainly many circumstances which may necessitate decisions casual observers would not understand.

My kids play outside any time of day I say they can and so can anyone else's kid IMO.

This has nothing to do with her.

OP doesn't want her own kids playing with others outside during school hours. Fine. Then tell them to go home.

OP is concerned about sick germs. Fine. Then tell them to go home.

But when someone else has their kids home or let's them outside to play is up to them and I wouldn't assume anything negative on that alone.

Especially if I hadn't made an effort to get to know them better.

I think something is fishy, and you need to go ask her guardian next time she pulls this. Just flat out ask them, "Gee, Susie said she was too sick for school and now she's wanting to come play with my kids. I'm very concerned because I don't want my kids to get sick." I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect a child to be in school unless they are sick. Even if you have an asthma flare you can go later, and if there are anxiety or other issues I would want to be aware of them in case they crop up during the playdate. And if she's just ditching school, I am not sure I would want to get in the middle of it. If it turns out to be that, I would just tell Susie that on school days she needs to wait until 3 pm to come over.

I don't know how laws are where you live, but as a homeschooler I don't want to put myself under any more scrutiny for "harboring" a truant :laugh: .

The thing is that most public scools are not tolerant of extra absences. I'd walk the girl home and talk to the parents if she's "sick" and you really want to know. I know a couple parents with very bright and introverted children who arranged for their kids to be off school one afternoons weekinearly elementary. There are many reasons this may be fine. Otherwise, the school will catch up with them.

I'd be very concerned about a child that seemed to have little adult supervision, or who was neglected. I wouldn't 'do' anything about it unless I was 100% sure that what I was doing was really going to help her; sometimes interfering can make things worse. If she were an otherwise nice kid, and not disruptive, then I'd actively encourage to be over at my home rather than leaving her alone, unsupervised, neglected.

I would have no problem saying someone who is absent from where they're supposed to be cannot play with my kids.

We homeschool. That means I set the daily/weekly schedule for my kids' education. They can play whenever it's appropriate for our schedule. If another homeschooler decides that they're done or taking a play break and my kids are done or taking a play break, great. School has a closing or half day or whatever, fine. But if you're enrolled in school and home while school is in session... That's not an opportunity to play, IMO. (Of course, there are always the exceptions to that general rule: taking the day off because they're going out of town and haven't left yet, etc., but that's not what the OP was describing.)

I would have no problem saying someone who is absent from where they're supposed to be cannot play with my kids.

We homeschool. That means I set the daily/weekly schedule for my kids' education. They can play whenever it's appropriate for our schedule. If another homeschooler decides that they're done or taking a play break and my kids are done or taking a play break, great. School has a closing or half day or whatever, fine. But if you're enrolled in school and home while school is in session... That's not an opportunity to play, IMO. (Of course, there are always the exceptions to that general rule: taking the day off because they're going out of town and haven't left yet, etc., but that's not what the OP was describing.)

But the issue is that is girl is not absent from where she is supposed to be. She is obviously home with the knowledge and permission of her guardians, which means she is exactly where she is supposed to be.

On a side note, I'm also curious as to whether those of you who hold this view apply to your own friends as well. If a friend called in sick to work, taking a mental health day, but wasn't really sick...would you refuse to meet her for coffee because that would be condoning her behavior? I wouldn't, because I think her absence is between her and her employer and none of my business. If I am free and would enjoy her company, and she says she is free, I would meet her.

By the same logic, neighbor girl's absence is between her, her grandparents, and the school, and none of anyone else's business unless there are other concerning signs of neglect (in which case shunning her is probably not the best course of action).

But the issue is that is girl is not absent from where she is supposed to be. She is obviously home with the knowledge and permission of her guardians, which means she is exactly where she is supposed to be.

On a side note, I'm also curious as to whether those of you who hold this view apply to your own friends as well. If a friend called in sick to work, taking a mental health day, but wasn't really sick...would you refuse to meet her for coffee because that would be condoning her behavior? I wouldn't, because I think her absence is between her and her employer and none of my business. If I am free and would enjoy her company, and she says she is free, I would meet her.

By the same logic, neighbor girl's absence is between her, her grandparents, and the school, and none of anyone else's business unless there are other concerning signs of neglect (in which case shunning her is probably not the best course of action).

Truancy is something that is against the law. My friend isn't legally required to go to work. If she skips out then it's up to her employer to fire her, or whatever. If my friend was out on parole and going to meet me for coffee and not supposed to be at a coffee shop, then no, I would not meet them. I'm not going to knowingly be an accessory to a crime. And, as a homeschooling parent I would not want to get in the middle of truancy issues with another kid. Because then someone may decide that my family needs to get investigated too.

Again, I would either not allow the kid to come over when she's supposed to be in school or I would find out what was going on. You have a right to know when someone is playing at your house, and you are responsible for them. You also have a right to know the kid is sick or has other problems, if they are going to be playing at your house. If I just saw the kid playing in her yard when I thought she was supposed to be in school, then that is not my business IMHO.

I'd be very concerned about a child that seemed to have little adult supervision, or who was neglected. I wouldn't 'do' anything about it unless I was 100% sure that what I was doing was really going to help her; sometimes interfering can make things worse. If she were an otherwise nice kid, and not disruptive, then I'd actively encourage to be over at my home rather than leaving her alone, unsupervised, neglected.

Meh. My dd has been playing in our neighborhood, unsupervised, since she was about 9. She runs, rides bikes, takes walks, and hangs out with her best friend (a neighborhood girl her age who is also allowed to run around unsupervised). Neither child is neglected... by a long shot. Lol.

I say this gently OP, because I sense no malice in your post, only frustration.

My dd's last year of brick and mortar she missed a ton of school. Her little brother had just been diagnosed with a serious lung defect, had outpatient procedures, eventually a risky lung surgery... she couldn't concentrate and was breaking down in school; add to that the need to make sure she wasn't bringing home sick germs to her barely post-op little brother, we kept her out for a while around the surgery for her mental health, any bad day she had emotionally during the surgery, and then after the surgery any time we heard that there was a virus or infection going around the classroom.

There are so many reasons the child could be home. So many. You, admittedly, do not know the neighbors, so you probably aren't privy to their reasons. Give them the benefit of doubt until proven wrong; take them some homemade chicken soup and ask how their daughter is feeling - you've noticed she's out of school a lot. They may need a friend too.

Meh. My dd has been playing in our neighborhood, unsupervised, since she was about 9. She runs, rides bikes, takes walks, and hangs out with her best friend (a neighborhood girl her age who is also allowed to run around unsupervised). Neither child is neglected... by a long shot. Lol.

I never said an unsupervised child was a neglected child. My own children are often out for an hour or two at a time in our neighbourhood unsupervised. But if a child who was supposed to be in school was left at home for hours upon hours at a time unsupervised, OR who were obviously neglected, then, yes, I would be very concerned. You seem to have been very determined to take offence at my words.

My ds is a medical train wreck on paper but to see him in person you would never know. If we did not homeschool he would most likely be home many many days. His health issues are not anything that can be shared with other children, his is more at risk from catching something from them. Its possible that this girl may be the same.

I never said an unsupervised child was a neglected child. My own children are often out for an hour or two at a time in our neighbourhood unsupervised. But if a child who was supposed to be in school was left at home for hours upon hours at a time unsupervised, OR who were obviously neglected, then, yes, I would be very concerned. You seem to have been very determined to take offence at my words.

I may have misunderstood, but I certainly wasn't trying to take offense (in fact I took no offense). The OP did say that she saw the grandparent's car in the driveway, so the child isn't likely home alone.

My ds is a medical train wreck on paper but to see him in person you would never know. If we did not homeschool he would most likely be home many many days. His health issues are not anything that can be shared with other children, his is more at risk from catching something from them. Its possible that this girl may be the same.

Same here. My 3 year old is a hyper, active, wonderful child. Upon meeting him, the most a person would notice is that he is very small for his age; they would never be able to *guess* that he has a lung defect... one that would affect his ability to be in school (especially during flu season), if he attended school. HE isn't contagious, but other children often are; he isn't going to infect your child, but he wouldn't be able to be in a classroom full of sniffling, sneezing, coughing children without significant worry on our end.

It's not truancy if the child is excused from school.

The guardians/parents went to the school and picked her up with the school's knowledge.

And aside from that, I think it's a stupid law that says a nonabusive parent has to beg permission to take their own kid out of school. As far as I'm concerned, any nonabusive parent can pick their own kid up from anywhere any time they feel like it.

It's not truancy if the child is excused from school.

The guardians/parents went to the school and picked her up with the school's knowledge.

And aside from that, I think it's a stupid law that says a nonabusive parent has to beg permission to take their own kid out of school. As far as I'm concerned, any nonabusive parent can pick their own kid up from anywhere any time they feel like it.

This.

Am I the only one who finds it highly ironic that we are having this discussion on a homeschool board???

You cannot decide that the child is truant. There are too many possible explanations. Truancy would be unexcused absences. These may very well be excused. Assuming she is ditching school does not make it fact.

You do have every right to decide whether your dc can play with her or not of course.

But, this would be no different then another mom deciding that my dc, homeschooled or not, should not be permitted outside to play at 11 am. In their view, those are school hours and I should obviously be holding a lesson at the 11 oclock hour because that is school time, even for homeschooled kids. Another parent could decide that I was homeschooling under false pretenses because they "always" see my kids out during school hours and that I can't possibly be getting any schooling in and therefore breaking the truancy laws. That would require a lot of assumptions of course.

You may be right, and the neighbors have no respect for the girl's education. Maybe they are neglectful and pick her up from school just because she wants to come home. Maybe she doesn't even do homework and cheats on all her tests too. Maybe they are bad people, and you should avoid them. Or, maybe there is a perfectly reasonable explanation that they don't owe anyone just like you don't owe anyone the explanation as to why your kids could be playing outside at 1 in the afternoon. My kids are doing math at 1 in the afternoon. WHy aren't yours? Don't you care if they learn math? Why aren't they reading instead?

Unless the girl flat out tells you that her parents let her skip school for the fun of it, or that she lies to them about being sick, you really have no info to base your assumptions. Either ask the parents what's up or give them the benefit of the doubt and pretend that they are competent, loving, responsible parents (just like you) unless they prove otherwise. That is what I would do.