Menu

As of tomorrow we have no more cable TV...

I know many of you here have lived without cable and even without a tv. But it will be a big adjustment for our family. We don't even watch that much tv, but we do rely on DVR for recording our favorite shows like American Idol and Extreme Makeover. My husband and boys also watch a lot of playoff hockey this time of year. It's also nice to watch sports in half the time by fastforwarding through commercials.

Anyway, if there are any tips on how to help our family adjust, I'd appreciate it. I'm excited about all the money we'll save and be able to put toward my kids private school next year. Still, I'll miss my Fox News and TLC channels.

If so, and assuming you have a DVD player already, you could make a habit of going to the library and bringing home a nice stack of DVDs each week.

Another thought would be to sign up for Netflix, which does cost, but is much less expensive than cable. Not only would this give you access to their whole libary of DVDs through the mail, but you can use their watch instantly feature to watch all kinds of things online.

We're still trying to decide if we can do it. Of course we can, but do we want to? We don't go out much for entertainment, don't spend much on eating out, so TV is kind of "it". I do watch a little trashy TV (Grey's Anatomy - I know, I know:blush:) But I would miss the kids programming, HGTV, Food Network, the Discovery-TLC shows, and the biggie is NFL. Now that we switched to Directv, dh gets NFL Network and he's in heaven.

Our plan is to start now with one day a week where we don't even turn the set on, then increase to two, etc. And whatever days we pick to not turn in on, we can't watch anything that records. Otherwise you're not really "doing without". My goal is to not start back in Fall with any of my bad shows and habits. Then maybe after NFL season is over in January we can get rid of it altogether.

Kudo's to you for getting rid of it!!!

It's a big step (for us at least). I wouldn't mind getting rid of cable TV, as I rarely watch it, but TV practically raised my dh from birth, and I know he would be close to devastated without it. I could live with just Netflix. I don't have ds watching TV often , though. If he does, he'll catch a Scooby-Doo episode and I turn the TV off. I don't have it on all day. Dh turns it on later at night for basketball playoffs and such.

Well, we got rid of our cable awhile ago. We still watch plenty of shows though. We use hulu.com for the most part. Most of the major networks have their shows available there for free the day after it airs. We watch the Daily Show and the Colbert report. I love hulu cause A) it's free and B) there is only 30 seconds of commercial during commercial breaks. We hook our computer up to our TV, so we just watch it on our TV like normal. We just use a keyboard instead of a remote. Oh, and hulu also does high definition as an option if you have a high def tv :)

I know you said you miss your fox news. You could check I-tunes. Some news stations have their shows available as a free podcast (I'm an MSNBC fan, so I download Countdown with Olbermann free :P). You can also look at other free podcasts, both audio and video. I like downloading various pastor's radio shows. Truth for Life, Grace to You, and Revive our Hearts are a few of my favs.

I honestly don't see cable surviving in it's current form for a whole lot longer. Now I'm not saying next year or anything, but the next decade or so I imagine changes will come.

Hey good for you! Hmmm...we don't have cable, for a long time we didn't even have a tv. But now with everything switched to digital, we are back to no tv. We got a converter box for our old set but it doesn't get good reception and we're trying to decide whether or not to get the fancy antenna.

Some thoughts: imho, tv isn't so bad in itself, but for what you give up when you watch so much of it. Our family plays a ton of games, and reads a lot.

As for tv "substitutes" you can try hulu.com or even the network websites which often have shows you can download for free. Also the library; ours has whole seasons of tv shows you can check out (although there is usually a waiting list. Still waiting for 30 Rock here.) You probably already have a dvd player. Will you be getting rid of the tv altogether?

Pro sports are the hardest to "replace" because they are usually under exclusive contract with a network. We listen to our teams on the radio and follow along on the internet--no live action but they update the pitches, runs, etc in real time. Not sure about hockey, though. For major games, we usually try to get invited to a friend's house. :) Good luck!

We don't have cable, and I want it! lol I have tried to sign up several times, but they the price always has me saying "I need to think about that". I would love TLC and the History and Dicovery channels.

We do get DVDs from the library each week, and so I am finally cuaght up on The Office. ;) My kids love Myth Busters and we use ILL for those. Awesome stuff.

I could never give up the DVD player. This I know. :lurk5:

Hulu allows you to watch tv for free. I second the Netflix recommendation. We use Netflix for entertainment and educational purposes. Hulu introduced my kids to I Dream of Jeannie. We spent about two years without cable. We thought it was just going to be great when we got it agin, but to bw honest it has been a bit of a disappointment (except Fox News)

I know many of you here have lived without cable and even without a tv. But it will be a big adjustment for our family. We don't even watch that much tv, but we do rely on DVR for recording our favorite shows like American Idol and Extreme Makeover. My husband and boys also watch a lot of playoff hockey this time of year. It's also nice to watch sports in half the time by fastforwarding through commercials.

Anyway, if there are any tips on how to help our family adjust, I'd appreciate it. I'm excited about all the money we'll save and be able to put toward my kids private school next year. Still, I'll miss my Fox News and TLC channels.

I'm hockey crazed, so I know how great the playoffs are to watch! We haven't gotten rid of our cable (it's tied into our phone/Internet and when we priced the same services without the cable, it actually came out to more [go figure]), but we have cut down significantly on TV time.

The only advice I have is to keep lots of books around, and board games and the like, as another poster suggested. After you get used to it, I think you'll be happy with all of the extra time you have, and, believe me, you and your family will find many rewarding ways to fill that time (things just sort of appear!)

Welcome to the club! We got rid of Direct TV and Tivo a couple months ago. we did join Netflix and have really, really enjoyed it ($14/month). Also, we watch shows through hulu.com or even the regular show website. I watch The Unit and NCIS that way. We have about 14 shows in Netflix instant too.

Frankly, we are happier without it. I am amazed by how much calmer my household is. The dc argue less and are less whiny. We spend more time together as a family. The dc play with their toys more and engage more in creative activites - like drawing, crafts, music,etc. The board games are starting to come out of the closet and puzzles are showing up on tables.

I was against getting rid of TV. I thought I would miss it terribly. The first couple days were an adjustment - not bad - just changing habits. Now, it is a good thing.

Welcome to the club! We got rid of Direct TV and Tivo a couple months ago. we did join Netflix and have really, really enjoyed it ($14/month). Also, we watch shows through hulu.com or even the regular show website. I watch The Unit and NCIS that way. We have about 14 shows in Netflix instant too.

Frankly, we are happier without it. I am amazed by how much calmer my household is. The dc argue less and are less whiny. We spend more time together as a family. The dc play with their toys more and engage more in creative activites - like drawing, crafts, music,etc. The board games are starting to come out of the closet and puzzles are showing up on tables.

I was against getting rid of TV. I thought I would miss it terribly. The first couple days were an adjustment - not bad - just changing habits. Now, it is a good thing.

It's amazing how attached we get to something like cable. I actually cried when I turned it off. It was very emotional for me. I think part of it for me was that I never had it growing up. I thought 'rich' people had cable so it was something to aspire too. Giving it up made me feel like I had failed in some way (even though we could afford it, we just barely watched it so we decided it didn't make sense to pay the money).

We have been TV-less for a few months now. We do borrow lots of movies and shows from the library. Usually if I want to catch a TV network show, I can watch it on Youtube or occasionally on a live-streaming website. I do miss not having it sometimes, but it's not a huge hole in my life. Good luck!

Well, we got rid of our cable awhile ago. We still watch plenty of shows though. We use hulu.com for the most part. Most of the major networks have their shows available there for free the day after it airs. We watch the Daily Show and the Colbert report. I love hulu cause A) it's free and B) there is only 30 seconds of commercial during commercial breaks. We hook our computer up to our TV, so we just watch it on our TV like normal. We just use a keyboard instead of a remote. Oh, and hulu also does high definition as an option if you have a high def tv :)

I know you said you miss your fox news. You could check I-tunes. Some news stations have their shows available as a free podcast (I'm an MSNBC fan, so I download Countdown with Olbermann free :P). You can also look at other free podcasts, both audio and video. I like downloading various pastor's radio shows. Truth for Life, Grace to You, and Revive our Hearts are a few of my favs.

I honestly don't see cable surviving in it's current form for a whole lot longer. Now I'm not saying next year or anything, but the next decade or so I imagine changes will come.

:iagree:

Between library dvds, hulu and Netflix instantwatch, my kids don't miss tv.

I also agree that cable tv will have to give way to customized viewing sources.

We did it this time of year, nine years age. By the fall we didn't miss it. Well occasionally I'd like to watch something but not often. We read, some play the guitar, watch movies. Now when we visit relatives that always have the TV on it seems strange. Move the furniture, have a game table, plan warm weather outings. Have fun for the summer.

When TV goes digital, we won't have any TV either. I'm looking for some serious withdrawl from my teens. Ok, there are some shows that I'll miss too. But I think we will all be the better for it. We do have Netflix that we've used mostly for school videos; we can always get a few extra for entertainment. :-)

We haven't had cable for over 10 years. :) I've found the library or Netflix has most of the History Channel/BBC programs I like to watch, so I borrow them there.

We're Battlestar Galactica fans (even without the Sci-Fi channel, lol!) We watch the episodes online or rent them after the season is over from Netflix or Blockbuster.

I LOVE watching WHAT we want, WHEN we want, WITHOUT commercials! It's awesome!

My big lure for wanting cable is for ESPN. We're avid football fans and they keep moving more and more of the games to cable (grrrrrrrr). Then, I decide I'm not going to "give in" to the powers-that-be that keep removing games from normal tv and putting them on cable. :glare:

We watch very little television (mostly we watch rented movies, when we watch something that isn't football or basketball) - and I don't miss it a bit anymore. Frees up a lot of time for other things. :)

We watch our shows on Hulu, too. I actually like it better, we can watch when we want and with fewer commercials. Netflix is great, we also get movies at the library (though there have been a few that I got back so late it cost me more than buying the stupid thing!). My kids still manage to spend more time watching TV than I'd like them to.

We haven't had cable for about 5 years. We have no TV reception without it so although we have a physical TV it's kind of pointless except to watch videos on. I miss TV during things like the Olympics or NCAA basketball tournament. Other than that I don't really miss it.

It wasn't a huge adjustment for us as we didn't watch much TV. We get a lot of videos out of the library. We don't do Netflix yet but I think once our kids are older we might. And recently I've discovered that much of what I might want to watch is online. We watched several NCAA basketball tournament games this year online (they were all available). I discovered Hulu which I'm not sure is a good thing. :) But dh and I have enjoyed watching some of The Office. My biggest guilty pleasure is Survivor which is also available online. I like being able to pick the 1-2 shows a week we might watch without paying for all the rest of cable. And I like that it is less commercials (they do have some) so a 1 hr program becomes 45 minutes and a 30 minute program becomes about 20. :)

:iagree: I'm so proud of you! We cancelled our cable several months ago. While the first couple of weeks you may very well go through withdrawal, you will soon find yourself finding other things to do. My children now play with each other more and my dd finally reads more on her own initiative! :hurray:

You WILL survive the transition, I promise! :thumbup:

We haven't had cable for over 12 years. We got a converter box for the t.v. and we havent' needed anything else. American Idol and Extreme Makeover are still on network tv so I don't know why you wouldn't still be able to record them. :confused: I myself am not much of a tv watcher, but my husband watches certain shows and also brings movies home from the library. I honestly can't think of any show that would induce me to pay cable prices. I get so many extra channels now with the converter box. There is one called Create that is similar to a HGTV type channel. The only thing missing is the Discovery Channel and the History Channel, but I know I can check out similar DVD's out of the library. :)

Good luck with the transition. I think you'll be surprised at how easily you can make it. :)

We cut ours off about 2 years ago. I had found my son was watching WAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to much "Junk" on tv and I was concerned about what he was watching. Our price crept up to about $55 a month for basic cable and that was the last straw. Ours was 50% we need to cut expenses and 50% this tv is driving me crazy that helped our decision to cut it off. I won't lie to you...at first, my husband could not get used to not having ESPN or Fox news but within a month we were all happier. Our house is much quieter and we actually talk at night instead of zoning out in front of the tv. Now, instead of watching tv at night my husband and I go for a walk and we've lost weight :) My library is excellent and I have no trouble getting dvd's for my son like the discovery channel shows, etc. or just old sitcoms. We also got a digital converter box and we get about 7 channels really clear, including 3 different ETV's. We cut on the news for the traffic and weather in the morning and I watch the national news or ETV late at night.

Oh, and another benefit. I had our tv in the den on a clutter table! It was on a tv stand with drawers and it was always cluttered. We took the tv out of the den and the stand (put it on the curb!) and now we have a clutter free clean den! It's wonderful. It will take some getting used to, but I have found we are much happier without it. I read more, etc. When you go "cold turkey" tomorrow with it off, you might consider getting it out of the den or wherever and rearranging that area for a "total" change for the kids sake. Just let them know this is how it is now. My child missed it at first and now doesn't even desire to watch tv. The change is amazing! All for the better I promise once you get through the first month.

Do they have all shows available or just certain ones? Do they offer any sports?

http://www.hulu.com

It's free. They have a lot of shows, not all are available. Some are current shows (The Office, House). Some are old shows. Some are full episodes. You can also watch some brief clips. I let my 2 yr old watch a few old Sesame Street clips before his nap every day. Each clip is only 2-3 minutes so it's short but he thinks it's a huge treat. :)

They also have movies, although I haven't explored that much. I think they are mainly older movies. I don't think there are any sports, but not sure.

We got rid of DirecTV over 2 years ago. Now, my husband is a huge NASCAR fan. Sometimes we hitch up the HD antennae and we get about 3 stations in - we usually utilize it to watch updates on the weather during bad storms/tornado warnings and sometimes he will watch a race.

Now, we did try to sign up for the internet/phone/tv deal with verizon because it would be really cheap. However - due to really bad customer service (we tried 3 times unsuccessful to get them out here and they kept missing the times, or one time decided they were not going to come out because we didn't have the phone and internet already on one bill even though that is why we signed up for the phone...but I digress). So I told my husband if he wants it feel free - but I have no desire for it.

We have no plans to get it any time soon.

We have a bunch of dvds - I used to buy a lot every month, but we decided to go with Netflix. We have save a ton of money because I no longer make impulse dvd purchases haha. Also, I watch my favorite shows online. I don't really use hulu myself, but go to abc.com or nbc.com, etc.

We get a lot of good educational videos through Netflix - and since my husband has an MSLive XBox account, we don't have to watch them on the computer, or wait for dvds in the mail (so for some you do), but watch them directly on our tv. I believe that you can also purchase for about $100 a device from Netflix for this if you don't have an xbox with a live account (though if you already have the console and the account, it is cheaper I think than the Netflix hardware).

It took a while for them to get used to - but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

DirecTV was over $100 a month when we had it. So, even if you figure in the cost of Neflix, we are saving $90 a month there, plus the $30 to $60 I used to spend on dvds here and there.

I guess you can take them out from the library as well, but I haven't done that yet.

I have to admit though - there is no way we are getting rid of our TVs. My family loves video games too much (they are limited how much they can play of course), and we love LOVE watching movies. We bought a new TV a few months before getting rid of tv service, and then bought another new one about 6 to 9 months after we got rid of it. We are just too much of a techie family haha. Sad, but true.

Edited by SherryTX
Further info

We haven't had cable for about 9 years. Although I still miss it to this day, I think it's been good for the kids and our pocket book.

We do watch a some "T.V." via the Internet. Hulu is great and there are even cable shows you can watch via the History channel, Discovery and lots more.

We also get movies and TV series from the library and watch them on our DVD player. As time goes by, it seems like more and more is available online.

It will probably hard at first when you hit the normal time you would watch your shows. However, you'll quickly find other ways to fill the time that will start feeling more normal to you.

I can't believe how much TV we used to watch.

Now it seems normal to hardly watch it at all.

It's been four years since we shut off our satellite service. I don't miss it at all, and I've been an avid TV watcher since I was a kid. We have a 3-movies-a-time Netflix account, and between that and their "watch it now" service (you can watch movies and TV shows directly on your computer, or through an Xbox 360 at no extra charge) we get plenty of entertainment. I love not having the TV on all day long. We just turn it on late at night (usually after the kids go to bed, though they do occasionally watch a movie or show) and watch our DVDs or "watch it now" shows. Netflix also has a nice selection of documentaries and nature programs, which we use for our science and history studies. I could not go back to commercial television. In fact, whenever I'm visiting my parents, their TV drives me crazy. Constant noise, and terrible news and commercials. I seriously want to shut it off as soon as I walk in.

(I still can't believe I don't miss commercial TV, btw. I really used to watch it a lot. Of course, we still have the internet, which is a whole other issue :lol: )

We have not had cable in the nearly 11 years of our marriage, but if you are used to it there will be some 'withdrawl' issues. Summer is coming, so doing some outdoor stuff might be fun. We started geocaching (http://www.geocaching.com) last year, and the kids (even the 3 yr old) love it! There are parks to explore, water fun to be had, and baseball field to check out. In the evenings we play games, make up stories, read books, and do crafts.

We got rid of cable a couple years ago. Thought we would be lost without the all those channnels and the local cable news. Nope, we seemed to have survived. My dh did, however, install an antena. . . yes, we've gone backwards. :001_smile: Anyway, we get the channels we enjoy without the '150 channels and nothing on' syndrome. This includes American Idol, Extreme Home Makeover and other local shows as well as PBS History Detective and Antiques Roadshow.

I think the total cost for installing the antena was around $200. A one time cost and then just enjoy! Oh, and we decided to invest in Netflix, the $5/mo plan which means 2 movies in a 30 day period (one at a time though) but we've enjoyed some great family movie time together watching some of the classics.

We had satellite and dumped it last year. I had wanted to do it for years and years. I was always afraid the change would be too much, too drastic and we would fail. I can't believe how wrong I was. It hasn't been hard at all. No more regrets for having let the kids watch all that stupid stuff, even the history channel had junk tv! History Channel, Discovery and the Food Channel were our favorites, but I don't even miss them. In the beginning, especially, we read aloud in the evenings during their customary tube-time. The kids have adjusted and have found other activities to occupy them. However, we do have DVD's and let them start a movie later in the evening, many nights. Usually, they go to bed before it's even 1/3 of the way through, though they do watch a couple movies over the weekend. Still, a vast improvement over past habits. You will never regret it.

Enjoy the freedom!

Geo

Edited by Geo

We got rid of our cable at the beginning of the year. It's been amazing the things we have found to do together. We've enjoyed playing games, evening reading, and old "I Love Lucy" shows among others. Enjoy your freedom!:D

We've got our kids hooked on I Love Lucy (and the Dick Van Dyke Show). I knew they'd love both of those, but one that we also just rediscovered was Leave it to Beaver. I never realized how funny that show is! The jokes must have been over my head when I was watching as a kid. Ward and June really say some zingers. :lol: