Menu

Why does it bug me so much

I agree the question grates on me - I think it's because it doesn't see like an honest question, more like an opportunity to complain, or a thinly veiled "why don't I have pizza in front of me right this instant". We have a running joke - they ask what is for dinner, I say "you, if you don't stop bugging me" and they respond with "finally something good" and everyone goes back to what they were doing :D

Well, personally I don't like surprises. If I'm staying at someone's house, I would never ask, but I sure appreciate it if they tell me what dinner plans are. I try to extend that courtesy to my kids, by writing the meals for the week on the calendar, so they know what to expect.

to be asked, "What's for dinner?":glare:

hehehehe It bugs me too. I think for me it's because it puts me in "work mode" mentally and it's usually asked at a time when I'm TRYING to take a break or when I'm in the middle of something else. I think it's the burden of having one more problem to solve, one more question to answer, one more thing to do or think about that makes the question a drag. That and that it's asked every single day. :tongue_smilie:hehe

Firstly, let it be known that I love to cook. Further, this question can be asked by some and I'm fine and happy to answer. However, sometimes the question makes me a little concerned, mostly because no matter what I say, I have in the past, gotten a groan and more from a certain person. Simply put, nobody likes the ungrateful. The ungrateful are stress-inducing.

We are making exellent progress here in that reguard. Yet the history of the whine is not easily overcome.

Because the children take the answer as an opportunity to give feedback (usually negative) about the food.

That question is not allowed in my house.

Yep! That's it. It opens it up for comments that I don't care to listen to. Our meals are posted on a menu. They can read, but they can't comment. It is impolite and disrespectful.

Jennie

but my kids and husband are hungry for dinner and aren't negative about whatever answer I provide.

It made my mother crazy because she believed my father only called to find out what was for dinner - not to actually say "hello" to her. And when my sister would ask, she would receive the answer and then invariably say, "Ok, then what am *I* having for dinner." That wouldn't sit well with me:)

That is my ds's favorite question. He asks "What's for lunch?" while eating breakfast. And then "What's for dinner" while he is eating lunch. I give my usual answer. "I Don't Know". Which is usually true. I usually know around supper time what I am going to fix.

That is my ds's favorite question. He asks "What's for lunch?" while eating breakfast. And then "What's for dinner" while he is eating lunch.

My daughter and husband both do the same exact thing!! hehe Wiping the crumbs off of their mouths from breakfast and asking what's for lunch. I choose to take it as a compliment that they like my cooking and can't wait to eat it again. :tongue_smilie::D hehe

Nodding my head at all these reasons. I guess it is the assumption that I am asking for feedback on what I am cooking that makes me so irritated? LOL We usually have a menu written out, too.:glare:

Oh, yeah and this:

t made my mother crazy because she believed my father only called to find out what was for dinner - not to actually say "hello" to her.

I have had to teach DH, when he calls, to have a conversation with me before asking what I am making. It is now a running joke with us.

DH: small talk, blah, yada, long pause

Me: You can ask me what I'm making now.:lol:

The question bothers me when I don't know the answer to it -- then I perceive it as nagging (even though it isn't).

I go through phases in which I have the menu for the week posted on the fridge. It's no guarantee, however, because sometimes I switch menus around or cook something else altogether.

What would really get to me, as an adult, would be having to eat a meal cooked by someone else every night. It would feel weird to have no input about what I would be eating or how it was prepared. I don't think I would like it.

That doesn't bother DH at all.

That question really bugs me too.

I was getting so stressed out last month that I decided to go on a three month meal planning break. I am using one of those online meal planning services. It is such a nice treat! The get the grocery shopping list and menu plan once a week. I post the menu plan on the fridge so everyone can see what is for dinner. Now if they would just stop asking me what is for lunch. LOL!

What would really get to me, as an adult, would be having to eat a meal cooked by someone else every night. It would feel weird to have no input about what I would be eating or how it was prepared. I don't think I would like it.

It would drive me nuts.

I have learned there are varied answers to that question.

1. "The look" - usually given if said question is asked while I'm still sucking on my first cup of coffee.

2. It's only noon, you expect me to know? - usually given to ds11

3. "I thought we'd eat those leftovers you always complain about us not eating" - said to dh, usually followed by a snarl from him because he doesn't want to eat the leftovers either.

4. The wing it answer - usually given to dh when I talk to him in the afternoon. The pantry is 5 feet from my computer so whatever I spy first when I open the door is the answer.

5. "My allergies are acting up and I've od'd on Benadryl again. But I'll cook if you want me to." - given when the I want to go to bed because I hate allergies.

6. "let me look at the list" - I have one of those menu plan lists. But the rebel in me (what little is left :glare:) does not want to know what I am eating for dinner four or five nights from tonight. let it be a surprise, live a little.

7. the "I really want to get take-out" excuse - usually given when I call dh in the afternoon to see if he has money and I've had a bad day.

8. MY FAVORITE "Honey, it's Thursday, it's boys night to cook." :D

I'm not a fan of cooking, if you can't tell. :D

I don't like the question because it is constant, and comes from all 3 kids at every meal, more than once for each. But I finally sat and thought about why it makes me so mad and irritated to hear it, and I realized it's because it makes me feel like I'm having to account for myself to them. I grew up with a *very* controlling mother and had to constantly explain and justify myself and be questioned about everything, and so when the kids do it, I automatically feel like they are questioning who I am and making me explain a decision to them....which is made worse b/c usually the answer usually is 'I don't know'.

I know that's probably completely illogical and I have to tell myself they aren't doing that, they're just being curious.........but it's still a constant annoying question.