Menu

If you were going to start over from scratch...

What would you do? Assuming little to no experience, no (or irrelevant) college, & a family to feed.

I just found out that a cousin of mine is making $100,000/yr + bonus + car allowance + etc. working an easy barely 40hrs/wk job. No college. Little to no relevant experience. Bil is interviewing for better jobs than that. He's got the college & work experience, but I think his success is more who he knows than what he knows. Not to insult him, just to clarify.

So. What would *you* do?

I just found out that a cousin of mine is making $100,000/yr + bonus + car allowance + etc. working an easy barely 40hrs/wk job. No college. Little to no relevant experience.

So, I have to know, what is the job? :001_huh: My dh works long hours, at a job he loves, but not for a six figure salary. Where can he apply???

He restocks beer in liquor stores.

The guys where DH worked were well paid for stocking - but more in the $10-15/hr range. That seems really really high for that field.

How long has he been with them? Is is driving the truck (that is who actually stocks the shelves) or is he the salesman that gets the orders? The salesmen did well if they had been there awhile and had a good route of stores.

I would have gotten into nursing
Me, too! Not that I would have wanted to actually work as a nurse but I would have loved having the experience to use on my kids. I would not have wasted 5.5 years on a degree on elementary education, would never have gotten a special education degree (total waste). I wish I'd gone for the health/food and nutrition degree as majors instead of minors.

I realise this isn't shooting terribly high, but HVAC techs make crazy money, are in demand, get health insurance, and their work week doesn't overflow outside those 40 hours into family time, which would be very important to me if I were starting over with a family to feed.

The HVAC people I know do make good money and are in demand, but they work 60-70 hours a week during peak times in the summer and winter.

I would do what I did. I'm a CPA and because there is a shortage, my job is secure and I can support my family working less than full time. Perhaps more importantly, it's a perfect fit for my personality and natural talents.

Can you tell me more about CPA'ing? How difficult is it to get into the field? Are there shortages everywhere? How do you like what you do?

My dh is an engineer and makes that kind of money, but he has worked long and hard for that salary and is now in a management position in charge of several engineers. I can't imagine making 6 figures for stocking beer in a liquor store. Are you sure he isn't lying to you?

LOL--I'm not sure, but I was talking to his dad, not him. And, technically, uncle was guessing based on cousin's car allowance--$1200/mo--& his new house, etc. So it could be some assumption on uncle's part.

My emphasis wasn't intended to be the particular salary, but the fact that it's a very livable salary w/out an education. My bro is making more than dh has ever made, also w/out a degree. All of this makes me think dh *could* find a liveable salary w/out going back to school for anything, if he just knew what field to look in. Instead, when someone asks him what he does, he says, "Anything."

His exp is in cust serv & buying, but his head is in engineering & his heart is in seminary. When we first met, a PhD in philosophy would have been ideal for him. He ended up w/ a BA in World Hist & general cubicle jobs, kwim?

Dh is a nurse (a very stable job in this economy BTW but it does take schooling). But ironically he'd like to quit nursing if he could find a pastorate that wouldn't require him working on the side to pay the bills.

Me - I always thought that I'd like to be a 9-1-1 operator. Very stressful at times, I'm sure but it still sounds interesting.

Can you tell me more about CPA'ing? How difficult is it to get into the field? Are there shortages everywhere? How do you like what you do?

To sit for the exam, 150 hours of college credit is required. I am grandfathered under the old 120 hour requirement; the 150 hour requirement is part of the reason for the shortage. Specific requirements vary by state. If you google TX CPA licensing board, you should be able to find out the requirements for your state. When I took the test, it was 2.5 days long with 5 parts, handwritten. We had to wait 3 months for results. People who took both the bar and CPA exam said the CPA exam was much harder. Now it's computer based, all multiple choice, and you can take one part at a time. It's not easy, but it's not as hard as it used to be.

The shortages are nationwide, but the best jobs are in decent size cities. You don't have to be certified to work as an accountant, but you can make a lot more money with certification. I started working in public accounting after finishing about 80 hours of coursework, so I had a good bit of experience by the time I got certified. CPA's can do anything from tax returns to forensic examinations with the FBI. You can work in public accounting or industry. There is quite a bit of variety available.

I work in public accounting and I love it. I work with a wide variety of clients and the work is interesting and challenging.

In TX, you have to take 10 accounting classes at or above the Intermediate Accounting level, half can be online. Community colleges offer these for about $150 tuition, but the books cost more than the class does sometimes. If you don't have a business degree, you have to take another set of general business classes (IIRC its 10 more classes). These are also offered by community colleges. I've taken my 5 online classes and the in person ones will have to wait until the kids are older. If you don't have the general business credits already, this option would take as long as an RN program at a community college, but you could do a lot of it online.

Good luck finding something that suits you and dh!

If he has any interest in the medical field, you could see what your local community college offers. There are quite a few jobs that require anywhere from 3 months to 2 years of school and pay decently - phlebotomist, medical lab tech, pharmacy tech, RN, OR tech, and more. Something like that might not be his final destination, but could provide more earning power and job security while he continues seminary or otherwise figures out what he wants to do next.

I just thought of something else. My bil is a dispatcher in Fort Worth with the BNSF railroad. I'm pretty sure he said the only requirement for the job was a bachelor's degree, and he makes about $80,000. I have no idea whether they're hiring, but it might be worth checking into.

To sit for the exam, 150 hours of college credit is required. I am grandfathered under the old 120 hour requirement; the 150 hour requirement is part of the reason for the shortage. Specific requirements vary by state. If you google TX CPA licensing board, you should be able to find out the requirements for your state. When I took the test, it was 2.5 days long with 5 parts, handwritten. We had to wait 3 months for results. People who took both the bar and CPA exam said the CPA exam was much harder. Now it's computer based, all multiple choice, and you can take one part at a time. It's not easy, but it's not as hard as it used to be.

The shortages are nationwide, but the best jobs are in decent size cities. You don't have to be certified to work as an accountant, but you can make a lot more money with certification. I started working in public accounting after finishing about 80 hours of coursework, so I had a good bit of experience by the time I got certified. CPA's can do anything from tax returns to forensic examinations with the FBI. You can work in public accounting or industry. There is quite a bit of variety available.

I work in public accounting and I love it. I work with a wide variety of clients and the work is interesting and challenging.

I did google it, & it didn't say what the 150 hrs of college credit have to be in--I assumed acct, but then there was a specification re: 30 hrs in acct, 24 in business. So I assume the other 100 hrs can be in anything? 54 hrs is still a lot of back-tracking for dh, though, & I'm not sure he'd be thrilled about math. He's never even done *our* taxes. :lol:

Money is important. I'm not going to pretend that it's not.

But if I could do it all over again, I would still pick something that is basically interesting intellectually and that offers some variety and mental challenge. I liked lawyering (though I like homeschooling better) and can imagine myself doing other things - running a business, teaching. writing. But I would not, even if the money were good, do something that didn't seem interesting to me at least part of the time. Not everyone is wired that way, but I am. I tell my sons to start with their own hearts and their own affinity - not with the financial bottom line. I want them to LIKE what they do and to be proud of it, and even though every job has tedious, boring moments, I want them to believe their lives were well spent. If that led them to shelving liquor, so be it. But I wouldn't want them to choose it just based on the money and ease.

ETS that of course I would do something that wasn't interesting for a season. But if I were starting for scratch and planning long term, I wouldn't choose something I already knew I really wouldn't enjoy even part of the time.

Edited by Danestress

Money is important. I'm not going to pretend that it's not.

But if I could do it all over again, I would still pick something that is basically interesting intellectually and that offers some variety and mental challenge. I liked lawyering (though I like homeschooling better) and can imagine myself doing other things - running a business, teaching. writing. But I would not, even if the money were good, do something that didn't seem interesting to me at least part of the time. Not everyone is wired that way, but I am. I tell my sons to start with their own hearts and their own affinity - not with the financial bottom line. I want them to LIKE what they do and to be proud of it, and even though every job has tedious, boring moments, I want them to believe their lives were well spent. If that led them to shelving liquor, so be it. But I wouldn't want them to choose it just based on the money and ease.

I'm thinking of suggesting to dh that he get an admin job at one of the colleges here. That would be enough for us to make it in seminary housing. Then, he could take a couple of engineering classes online for free & just see. Ultimately, people go into the ministry w/out seminary, & I think it might be easier if he had something else to make $ at...less potential to be bullied or hurt or whatever. I could be wrong, & I"m not suggesting he quit seminary, but...maybe something...concrete?...to go alongside it.

He loves inventing things & figuring out how they work, etc. He's good at math, too, but he's intimidated by it because of elem sch experiences. Sad, huh? When I say good, though, I mean he took college Trig for fun (so did I) & breezed thr it (I didn't so much).

I'm just feeling stuck & directionless & want a path, ya know? This paddling in circles is about to kill me! :lol:

Actually, there's more to it than just "re-stocking beer." That makes him sound like a Route Sales Rep & even at that, the six figure salary would be a bit of a stretch unless he's a district manager (in which case he wouldn't be on routes all the time & he would have to have experience and/or a degree). I have an ex who's a RSR & it's not nearly as easy it sounds! It's very physically demanding & the hours are long & hard - plus you have to make sales, build displays, manage all your customers, essentially be "on call" to re-stock stores when supplies run low, etc. There's actually quite a bit to it & everyone is not cut out for the job! I used to go with my ex on routes when he worked for Sara Lee & actually fell asleep on the floor of Wal-Mart once (ew!) because I was so worn out from the work, yikes.

Anyway, if I had to start over I'd think about what I really wanted to do & then learn whatever was required. I've done this very successfully twice. At present, healthcare is a pretty safe bet...though it's not a field I enjoy!

I realise this isn't shooting terribly high, but HVAC techs make crazy money, are in demand, get health insurance, and their work week doesn't overflow outside those 40 hours into family time, which would be very important to me if I were starting over with a family to feed.

HVAC techs also tend to have difficult back problems as they age because it requires a fair amount of heavy lifting unless you focus on the controls area (and you have to prove yourself to do that). DH's days as an HVAC tech led eventually to permanent disability for him. One of his surgeons even diagnosed the damage as "middle-aged HVAC guy syndrome."

In Portland, Oregon area sales jobs for Pepsi, FritoLay, Wine, Beer, bread and the like...pay 40-60,000 per year. Higher paid employees are usually the ones with the most seniority. There is not an education requirement except a high school diploma. The hours are bad, usually very early AM, a 4am start isn't uncommon, split days off are likely, and it is hard work. BUT, it is decent pay for a job that doesn't require a college education. Management may or may not make much more, but usually requires a degree or a lot of experience.

UPS is another place that used to pay okay, but I am not certain how they are doing in the bad economy. Computer information jobs are laying off in our area so that field isn't a good one, at least in our area.

There are some good medical fields, but again some are not doing too good right now, so you would want to talk to someone in the field first. I know dentists are hurting right now here, so for example, a dental assistant job may not be a good choice now.

Geriatrics are always in demand so that may be a medical field niche to look at.

Pharmacy technician is what I do, and there isn't a lot of work available right now. It is definitely there, just not what would be considered 'in demand' here. It pays 30,000-40,000 here.

Some private schools will hire a teacher who doesn't have full credentials, but I am not sure about your state laws. Male teachers are usually in demand.

Good luck! It can be hard to start over!

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I really enjoyed most of the jobs I did in the military, plus, I enjoyed doing something a little different every 2 to 3 years. I also really enjoy working with big picture things and solving challenging problems in big picture areas--that's been a good fit with designing my own phonics lessons and figuring out the best ways to teach remedial reading students, each of them with individual differences and a variety of challenging problems, yet many similarities if you study the whole.

All the jobs that I enjoyed the most were recommended for my personality type or are just one letter off. If you love something, you have a better chance of doing well at it and advancing and doing well in the long run. I had a bad work situation for 6 months, it was the longest 6 months of my life and I was miserable.

You can take the MBTI here, it should also list a few jobs that are good for your personality type. I have a link to a better list of jobs for each type on my other computer, I'll try to remember to post that later. (My husband and the kids are "camping out" in the room where that computer is.)

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Edited by ElizabethB

What would you do? Assuming little to no experience, no (or irrelevant) college, & a family to feed.

While part of me would like to go back and stockpile money in a high paying field, I have to say I think I'd take that time to work for DYFS (CPS/DFACS, whatever it's called in everyone else's state).

My sister works in family preservation and a friend of hers has worked in removal cases and is now doing social work for a hospital. My sister has only been doing it for a year, and it's starting to take it's toll. Her friend switched it up because she was burned out after only 3 years.

It's a field I feel drawn to because of the great need, but it's one I doubt I could successfully balance (time OR emotion) with family.

But, if I could go back a *second (third?) time :tongue_smilie:, I would probably go the CPA route!

We recently had Sear Repair Service out to our house for a broken dishwasher and broken washing machine. I have absolutely no idea how much they make or what kind of experience/training, but the repair guy mentioned they were hiring. He was commenting on the economy and saying how weird it was that everyone was laying off, but they were getting busy, and being short-handed presently. I guess people are starting to repair more than buy new. Might be something to consider looking into...

Good luck and God bless!

- Stacey

If I had it to do over again I would have gone to Pharmacy school with my husband. He makes an excellent income in the military and once we retire from here he can get a great civilian job as a nuclear pharmacist or retail pharmacy or a civilian contractor for the military.

It's also a great job for a mother..3-12 days say Friday, Saturday and Sunday and your off all week to take care of your family.

I am starting over. Networking is the best way to find to find a job that suits what you're looking for, it is more of who you know than what you know. The job market may be tough right now but it's also polluted with plenty of people who don't really want to work, who just want a paycheck and that is discouraging to employers. Persistence and confidence will win.

As for me, I am going back to school to get a Bachelors in Business Administration. I thought about nursing so I could keep homeschooling but I don't think I'd do naturally well at it so I prefer to go for something I have experience/talent/skill in. I just re-entered the job market this past December so I don't know how to go after the 100K jobs, or the background to do so. I'm pretty pleased with moving up from part-time to full-time, from lower management to upper-management in just 3 months within a company.

In a year's time I could be making 35-40K/yr if I move into the next position above the one I just accepted. I could make 50-60K in 2-3 years if I continue on the same track with the same company. My degree will afford more options, more open doors but time will tell if I stay with the same company or go to another to utilize my experience/degree better.

I think what I've been able to do after staying at home for 5 years is great but I don't think it's the norm experience.

Good luck to him!

Well, if I had to do it over for me, I'd pick the same career (technical writing).

For DH? The biggest thing I would do differently is to take the time to find a good career fit instead of panicking about finding something now. Because I really wanted to be home with our child (singular at the time) as soon as possible, DH jumped into a career (computer programming) that was a poor fit, although he never had trouble staying employed.

I underestimated the negative affect on DH (and by extension, our family) of working 8 hours a day week in and week out on something he didn't enjoy. He lasted 5 years, and then we bought a business so he could quit programming. He is much happier now.

Of course, every family's circumstances are different. I recognize that we were blessed/lucky/fortunate that things worked out how they did.

:grouphug:

If I could start over from scratch, I'd be a physical therapist. My dad was adamantly against this or anything else less than MD. I've been good at all the different jobs I've had, but never enjoyed them. As a result, I'm not telling my kids what they must study beyond the expectation they will get a degree.

I want to add, a high income is nice, but a decent income and a career you feel good about is better. Generally everyone I know who works full time works 60 hours a week or more. I don't know anyone who works a straight 40 hour week. Maybe it's where I live. Putting in 60-80 hours weekly for years in something you don't care about, even if you are good at it is soul draining. If you have to do that you better have something truly great in other aspects of your life to keep the balance.

Everyone defines decent income differently. My dad thought I'd be poor all my life if I'd done PT, so he really pushed law school--I refused to try for med school I knew I wouldn't like being a doctor. Where I live is so saturated with lawyers that salaries are not great. It's one of those things where a few people in the field make a ton of money and most do not. I'd be making more as a PT. Now, I have 2 part time jobs. One is teaching swimming. I love working with adults and helping them develop strokes that fit their needs--not just learning to swim, but working around old injuries they have. I love studying the way people move.

Edited by betty

His exp is in cust serv & buying, but his head is in engineering & his heart is in seminary. When we first met, a PhD in philosophy would have been ideal for him. He ended up w/ a BA in World Hist & general cubicle jobs, kwim?

I am guessing here w/ experience in cust serv and buying he had a position in Supply Chain? Either way, there seem to still be openings in Supply Chain. Companies now need to make the widgits in the most productive way and a lot of companies are putting greater emphasis on their supply chain. Just a suggestion for a field to look into. A head for engineering obviously helps in supply chain.

Best of luck to both of you as he examines other options.

Guest Katia

Well, I'm just going to offer some of the things that my own dh has done or is doing. Since my dh is a pastor as well, and was a music minister, too....some of these ideas may be helpful. YMMV.

My dh didn't go to seminary, but has been in the full-time ministry for 26 years, so yes....that is possible. He went to a Christian college and along with his music courses, took almost all of the Pastoral Ministries courses, so felt he was well prepared. His major is actually Music and he had planned to be a music teacher!

So....in college, he was taught that every good pastor will have at least one but preferably two 'back-up' skills for in between pastorates and/or in the case of a bi-vocational situation. Dh has been full-time in all his church positions until this last one; he finally accepted a bi-vocational situation and surprisingly it has been the best situation for our entire family.

Ok: One skill that is something dh can do anytime, anywhere we live is Piano Tuning. My dh does NOT play the piano; he plays the guitar and somewhere in his former life (read 'college') he played the trumpet. But, when we got a piano for the dc to take lessons on, a man came to tune it and dh was fascinated...so much so he sat and just watched the entire process (which lasted close to three hours since the piano had not been tuned and had just been moved). The piano tuner said he would train dh since he had the interest and dh became his apprentice. There was no charge. The guy liked having someone to pass his knowledge on to and he enjoyed having company at what is usually a lonely job.

Dh has used this skill to keep our family in food over many years. It's amazing how few people know this skill and what a great demand there is for them. Just today, dh received two calls for tunings.....he charges a mere $60 per piano but will charge gasoline if traveling out-of-town. This is a steal, but seems expensive to dh.....but the only other piano tuner around charges $90+....so.......And dh guarantees his work. He'll go back and work on any notes, etc. that someone is unhappy with as part of the fee. With the amount of people that need tunings....he could actually do this full-time and we'd be fine! Your dh could look up a local piano tuner and see if he'd like an apprentice!

Your dh could look into working as a Chaplain at a nursing home complex. My dh did this part-time for years and he loved it. He didn't think he would, but it used all his pastoral skills and he made so many friends! And, it was a ministry-job that our entire family could be involved in (as it worked for us, it wasn't required). My dc all love to go to any nursing home and visit because they know how appreciated it is. Dh used to take one of the kids in to work with him because I had to take another to the dr. or whatever, and it was fine for him to do this because the residents LOVED kids. It helped our family, it made money, it made the residents happy, and it taught our kids that *old people* are just people. Dh made good money at this, and he got a lot of overtime as well. Have your dh apply at many nursing homes...the turn-over rate for Chaplain is high. (some people can't stand to see so many deaths)

Connected to the nursing home job......was the funeral home job. Dh has contracted with one of the local funeral homes and when the family of the deceased doesn't have a church connection, dh will perform the funeral service. It's amazing how few people have a pastor they can call on at this time in their lives, and dh loves to minister to these people. So....he can use his pastoral skills once again and the need is great....sounds awful, but people are always dying, kwim?

He has done all three of these jobs at the same time! They are not a one-at-a-time type of thing. Because they are all part-time....the schedules can work. Put them all together and you have full-time pay and more.

Oh, and along with all of these, dh has done full-time and now bi-vocational (which is full-time work without full-time pay) pastorate jobs. We like the bi-vocational situation as they seem to appreciate dh more and require less of me and the dc.

When your dc are older your dh could look into going back for his Master's. When our oldest was a junior in college, dh went back to graduate school. He now has his Masters and just in Feb. was hired on full-time as a result of a college job referral! So...for the first time in over 26 years we now have Health Insurance!!!! The bad part of this is: he had to quit the nursing home Chaplain job, but my youngest dd has continued to go in each month and play the piano for them, so we still have that connection; he can only do piano tuning on weekends now....which puts some customers knickers in knots, but it's now a 'side-line' job so they have to deal with it.......and his new employer had to acknowledge that he is a pastor and agree to give him time-off whenever necessary for things like funerals, etc. But...it works!

So, if your dh could just look for things jobs that pay but are still ministry related might be a good place to start. Then he can be making money for the family and still fulfilling his calling. And, as in our situation, don't just look for a full-time job thinking that is what you need. Two or three small part-times jobs might actually be a better fit for your family (it was for ours) and can still offer the financial support your family needs.

HTH. I'm praying for your family, Aubrey.

ETA: I forgot about the community college adjunct professor thing. This is a great full-time/part-time option. All you need is a Bachelor's for adjunct (in any field). The pay is good, the hours are good.....and they always seem to need teachers. Dh has taught Basic Computer Skills before, World Religions, and Music Appreciation. This semester he is teaching several music students voice lessons. Before being hired at this current company full-time, his intention for getting his Master's was to teach as a full professor at the cc level. Funny how God has different plans for our lives but uses what we have...

Edited by Katia

I did google it, & it didn't say what the 150 hrs of college credit have to be in--I assumed acct, but then there was a specification re: 30 hrs in acct, 24 in business. So I assume the other 100 hrs can be in anything? 54 hrs is still a lot of back-tracking for dh, though, & I'm not sure he'd be thrilled about math. He's never even done *our* taxes. :lol:

100 hrs can be in anything? - probably. But if he decides to go that route, he should talk to someone or call the Board to clarify.

If he has no interest in accounting, I wouldn't suggest doing it just for the money and security. I think there'd be few things worse than investing in an education in a certain field, only to be no good at it or have no satisfaction from it.

I would do what I did before homeschooling...professional photography. I loved the clients I had, the creative outlet, and owning my own business. Yes, there were down sides, but it was a great business for me. And, no, I didn't a lot, but I was always a wife and mom first, business owner, second.

I would also explore writing with more enthusiasm and drive. I'm published in small ways now...with more work I could have been published in bigger ways.

Flexibility and enjoyment are very important to me in any work I do. I don't think I could do a job I disliked just for money's sake.

My dh is 9 weeks away from graduating seminary:D

:grouphug:to you!!!!

He has worked UPS as a part-time supervisor for the last several years, and it has been enough (barely) to feed us through seminary. UPS gives full benefits to PT workers - (fantastic healthcare...well it was......we'll see how it changes) tuition reimbursement as well. Up until we had that 3rd baby and rent raised and yadayada....UPS took care of us - dh has been working a 2nd job the last several months (but only 9 more weeks - YIPPPPEEEEE)

The FT UPSers have a great job with some of the best benefits in the country. I wanted dh to go FT for just a few years so we could go gazelle on our SL debt (from our bach degrees) and save a nest egg....but he wanted to gun through to get a pastor's salary instead....men:glare::tongue_smilie:

UPS has shown signs that it's getting hit with the economy, however.

Does the seminary there have ministries for the students? Here, we have clothes and food closets just for students....it's worth looking into.:001_smile:

My dh is 9 weeks away from graduating seminary:D

:grouphug:to you!!!!

He has worked UPS as a part-time supervisor for the last several years, and it has been enough (barely) to feed us through seminary. UPS gives full benefits to PT workers - (fantastic healthcare...well it was......we'll see how it changes) tuition reimbursement as well. Up until we had that 3rd baby and rent raised and yadayada....UPS took care of us - dh has been working a 2nd job the last several months (but only 9 more weeks - YIPPPPEEEEE)

The FT UPSers have a great job with some of the best benefits in the country. I wanted dh to go FT for just a few years so we could go gazelle on our SL debt (from our bach degrees) and save a nest egg....but he wanted to gun through to get a pastor's salary instead....men:glare::tongue_smilie:

UPS has shown signs that it's getting hit with the economy, however.

Does the seminary there have ministries for the students? Here, we have clothes and food closets just for students....it's worth looking into.:001_smile:

Dh can't do UPS (he's pretty sure) because of his asthma. The lifting wouldn't be great, but the warehouse would really get him.

I know what you mean about SL from BA degrees. Those may kill us. We made such good choices w/ so many things...except that. Ugh.

The seminary does have a food ministry & a free thrift store for students. They're a great blessing, but...you know how it goes. If a kid needs new shoes, there's no guarantee that there will be anything in their size. And the food ministry depends on donations, which seem to be primarily day-old pastries. A great treat once in a while, perhaps, but again, not what you really want to depend on to feed your family.

Congratulations on your dh's graduation! What wonderful news! I hope you find a warm, welcoming community to make your new home.

I would have supported my husband in his dream job to become an airline pilot. But, we are making up for lost time, and he's donig that now with my support. Even though I say I would do it this way, deep down I believe it is God's timing for everything, and it just wasn't God's timing 10 years ago. I believe it is his timing now. :001_smile: Oh, and for myself, I would still want to be a homeschooling mom, but if I would have known that I would have prepared myself more by finishing my education.

Dh can't do UPS (he's pretty sure) because of his asthma. The lifting wouldn't be great, but the warehouse would really get him.

Congratulations on your dh's graduation! What wonderful news! I hope you find a warm, welcoming community to make your new home.

That stinks about dh's asthma - yeah, the box dust is nasty! My dh has been able to work his way into postitions where he isn't in the warehouse much -training, running the 'puter that directs the trucks, and stuff like that - but you have to "do your time" to get to those positions.

How about an on-campus job (any hidden benefits to that?) or finding a church position? idk how many hours your dh has completed, but SEBTS has an online program so you only have to do 30 hrs on campus (for the MDIV). Working online might make him better able to move to wherever a job is???

I hope we find a warm, welcoming community too.......not sure which is worse - graduating seminary in this economy or beginning it????:001_huh: I will miss the HS community here on campus!

OK, here's the promised best careers for each personality type:

http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/careers/careers.html

Of the things I've done that I've enjoyed, ALL have been on the list for my personality type:

The careers that, in our research, made most use of INTP's preferred function include:

Scientist/biologist/physicist/chemist

Engineer

Marketing specialist

Artist/actor

Consultant

Manager

Human Resources

Project manager

Teacher

I'm currently enjoying the last one, both with my daughter and with classes of remedial students.

How about an on-campus job (any hidden benefits to that?) or finding a church position? idk how many hours your dh has completed, but SEBTS has an online program so you only have to do 30 hrs on campus (for the MDIV). Working online might make him better able to move to wherever a job is???

Are you at SEBTS? That's where we are. I wonder if our dh's have had classes together and know each other. For that matter, I wonder if we've bumped into each other.

Congratulations on your dh's graduation!