Menu

I can't say any of it would have bothered me. Fart humour is common at our table. Whatever it takes for family enjoyment I say. We all would have laughed. However if you had guests that would be a different matter, but I daresay he wouldn't have done it.

I think asking someone to eat in the bathroom is gross.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - well, I didn't ask him to eat spaghetti off the toilet seat while he used the toilet! I made him take the plate with the two apple sections he had left to eat and sit it on the counter top (which I cleaned with bleach yesterday as part of my saturday cleaning ritual). Trust me, I am a germaphobe and a half, but this particular act was absolutely not, in any way, gross.

...it's important that parents have ground rules for table manners and that they enforce them vigilantly. Your punishment seems like a natural consequence.

That said, we don't have such stringent rules in our house. To me, being at table is meant to be a time of celebration not ceremony. I want the meal experience to be a relaxed time, one filled with enjoyment. If a child of mine passed gas at the table, there would be a round of commentary, no doubt. But, there would be no expectation that s/he should leave the table first. I can't tell so much if it was the gas passing or the comment that got your ire up, but in my house I would have required a simple, "Excuse me" and that would have been that. I appreciate that we can't go about life expelling, but I guess I'm just not quite as disgusted by natural bodily functions as others.

I don't think you did the wrong thing since those are the rules you've set up for your family. Just sharing my perspective.

I can't tell so much if it was the gas passing or the comment that got your ire up, but in my house I would have required a simple, "Excuse me" and that would have been that.

Just to clarify: The "look" I gave him was in anticipation of an "excuse me." Instead I got the "Nothing like a good fart in the afternoon" comment, which is what got him sent to the bathroom to finish his apple quarters.

I don't even understand all the need for "excuse me" like people talk about. Growing up we just ignored gas plain and simple. This gave no reason to make fun of it or joke about it. Someone passes gas = pretend it never happened. I had a brother and never remember him cracking ONE gas comment in my life. The bodily function was never acknowledged by do-er or receiver.

This thread and the tags on it are making me :lol:

I guess farting just doesn't bother me that much. We all still giggle when someone farts. If someone here farts at the table, we giggle, the offender says "excuse me" and we move on.

But I think your consequence is pretty funny too! Good for you, mom, for doing what works!

This thread and the tags on it are making me :lol:

I guess farting just doesn't bother me that much. We all still giggle when someone farts. If someone here farts at the table, we giggle, the offender says "excuse me" and we move on.

LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was beginning to think our family was freakishly odd.

What is it with pooting and boys? My 9 year old smells himself when he does that and my 7 year old said one day, "Ahh -- that stinks good." (I think he got the phrase from a movie).

The comment your son made sounds just like something Nathan would come back with. Is he always trying to make jokes out of things too? Nathan does this. He is verbally gifted, quick-witted, and always trying to think of some clever response.

Oh, and I assumed the OP meant her son "let one rip" in the sense of blowing it out to make a loud noise. There's the quiet passing of gas and the forcing it out to make the loudest sound possible. Ask me how I know about the second? LOL

Guest Katia
LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was beginning to think our family was freakishly odd.

No, it's not just you. I've been amazed this afternoon by all the people saying the punishment was good, just, appropriate, brilliant, etc. Simply amazed.

Were it me at my table and my ds said that, I would have fallen off my chair laughing! Then I probably would have asked him if he could do it again...and again....my mom (bless her dear, departed soul) used to fart-on-demand and would challenge others to try to beat her! (not at the table, but still....)

It was a game/fun thing. But then, I am certain our family is freakishly odd, or as my dd (home from college for spring break right now) just said: "That makes us seem rather common, doesn't it?" I replied, "No, it means we know how to have fun as a family."

Well I think you're brilliant. As for them leaving the room, passing gas and returning to the table....at our house this seems to be just as hysterical as NOT leaving the room. I can't win.

This was a problem for some time at our house as well. Seems as he got older he figured it would not go over well with the girls. Mothers don't count as girls, of course.

We have sent him out of the room or told him to go on the deck and I know he was not humiliated by it to the point that it damaged him. In fact, I think he was not humilitated at all but standing outside, laughing.

I can't say any of it would have bothered me. Fart humour is common at our table. Whatever it takes for family enjoyment I say. We all would have laughed. However if you had guests that would be a different matter, but I daresay he wouldn't have done it.

Must admit :iagree: but I guess everyone is different.

I have instigated a one metre safe zone around myself from my dh's burps, and 3 metres for farts. Dh tries to maintain it but fails frequently.

The word fart is absolutely no biggy here. Much worse is said.

I do not necessarily share the sense of humour my family has around farting. I grew up in a fmaily where it was done within the family, no big deal, no comments made, but dh? Very "hung up" mother and lots of boys- obviously he still hasnt got over his childhhood and still thinks farting is funny, and to some extent, naughty!

So, no hope for my kids, unfortunately.

If it smells, I will be offended, but thats about it.

life is too short to get upset by stuff like that.

Having four boys (five counting dh), I can say that "potty humor" is fairly common around here. We really don't make a big deal about it. We probably would have laughed, except for the comment. That would have gotten someone in trouble. I think your punishment was appropriate.

Passing gas inside the car is what I cannot take - that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I like the idea of stopping and making them doing jumping jacks/push-ups. I probably would never do it, though. We are usually in too big a hurry to get where we're going!

The tags on this one crack me up.
:D:D:D

I'm trying to cut down on potty humor around here, too.....it's nice to see some people are really diligent about it...gives me encouragement :001_smile: One of the reasons I hate spending a lot of time at the in-laws and eating meals there is the manners of FIL/BIL.....they are soooo gross. tons of burping and farting and only a few 'excuse me's' and lots of laughter....and they always stink, too :tongue_smilie: but it's just so disrespectful, imo....and MIL's answer is 'they're boys'........well I think you can still teach boys to be respectful of women and other people in a room........if a bunch of boys want to go into a bedroom and stink it out with each other, then have at it.....but not just anywhere you want in the house whenever you want no matter who's around, and not at the table!!! Now if I could only retrain dh :tongue_smilie:

No, it's not just you. I've been amazed this afternoon by all the people saying the punishment was good, just, appropriate, brilliant, etc. Simply amazed.

Were it me at my table and my ds said that, I would have fallen off my chair laughing! Then I probably would have asked him if he could do it again...and again....my mom (bless her dear, departed soul) used to fart-on-demand and would challenge others to try to beat her! (not at the table, but still....)

It was a game/fun thing. But then, I am certain our family is freakishly odd, or as my dd (home from college for spring break right now) just said: "That makes us seem rather common, doesn't it?" I replied, "No, it means we know how to have fun as a family."

Yes, this! I didn't say so before because I was feeling the "freakishly odd" vibes. I think it must be a boy club thing, because I grew up with 3 brothers and now have my third son on the way. My husband has one brother and 4 boy cousins... Gas-passin' humor is very big with all of them. They do eventually cultivate enough decency to hold it in while courting, as my poor BIL can attest... he was stuck in the car with dh after a 2-3 hour excursion with me... suffice to say he had to stick his head out the window to breathe. But pity the poor girl who makes it through the courting stage, as the honeymoon is the last gas-free zone. (we tend to call them toots, not farts though. I frown on four letter words starting with f. LOL)

No, you're not freakishly odd. Or if you are, we are, too. Passing gas is no big deal. Around here, it's 'where's that mouse'. And we all move on. If the comment had been made at our table, I would have asked him, 'what's the proper thing to say'. If he were my son, he would know the proper thing to say, but around family we let people be.

Whoever said life is too short, I absolutely agree. Way more important things to het up over.

Janet

LOL - I find it amusing that parts of this thread have become so serious. I am not a prude that doesn't allow farting in my home. My dh and I will occasionally poot under the covers and fan it a bit. My kids can laugh and pooat all they want - but NOT when we are eating. That is just my rule. If it slips out, just like a burp, they say "excuse me" and move on. If it is intentional and then a rude comment/joke is made, then someone is in trouble. They know this. I have different rules for goofing off around the house AND eating at the table. The kids have to be taught manners somewhere. I am thinking "at home" is a good start.

The kids have to be taught manners somewhere. I am thinking "at home" is a good start.

I totally agree. My EXMIL did the "oh, farts are funny" route with her boys. She now has 3 grown men who have no problem letting one rip at the table, heaving belches and laughing like nutjobs at themselves. It's disgusting, really.

LOL - I find it amusing that parts of this thread have become so serious. I am not a prude that doesn't allow farting in my home. My dh and I will occasionally poot under the covers and fan it a bit. My kids can laugh and pooat all they want - but NOT when we are eating. That is just my rule. If it slips out, just like a burp, they say "excuse me" and move on. If it is intentional and then a rude comment/joke is made, then someone is in trouble. They know this. I have different rules for goofing off around the house AND eating at the table. The kids have to be taught manners somewhere. I am thinking "at home" is a good start.

Right. Great. Gotcha.

But the way you started the thread really rubbed me the wrong way.

You didn't want to know if it was unusually cruel. You thought it was funny.

So did you start the thread to brag about a great parenting technique or what?

And let me know how you teach kids to interpret "a look." Why not just say, "Excuse yourself."? Why play games with "a look?"

I think it's one of the best threads ever!

Right. Great. Gotcha.

And let me know how you teach kids to interpret "a look." Why not just say, "Excuse yourself."? Why play games with "a look?"

You don't have a look?

Right. Great. Gotcha.

No, I wasn't laughing at first. I had my reservations about sending him in the bathroom and even though I thought it was fitting, I wanted others' opinions. NOTE: I never said that the opinions of others would change my mind...I was just curious what other people thought.

My kids 100% know their manners and they 100% know what "that look" means when I give it to them. Most of the time my son reacts automatically to such looks and immediately corrects himself.

Again, taking this much too seriously...but isn't that "the way" here? I mean, honestly, someone can't post anything that has more than one opinion without being "yelled at" in some way and the thread going totally to h*ll in a handbasket. I mean, someone is always going to be offended by something, huh?

Edited by Tree House Academy

I have a look. If I want to teach my child something, I don't rely on a look by itself.

If it was me, and if it was so important that my child have what I consider a proper response to a situation, I would tell my child what I wanted.

See, this is the thing...my kids KNOW what I expect of them at the table. My son is not 3...he is almost 10!

I have a look. If I want to teach my child something, I don't rely on a look by itself.

If it was me, and if it was so important that my child have what I consider a proper response to a situation, I would tell my child what I wanted.

I'm guessing that your kids are still young and need the extra instruction. Mine, at 9, knows she needs to correct herself immediately when she receives the look from either her father or me.

No, I wasn't laughing at first. I had my reservations about sending him in the bathroom and even though I thought it was fitting, I wanted others' opinions. NOTE: I never said that the opinions of others would change my mind...I was just curious what other people thought.

My kids 100% know their manners and they 100% know what "that look" means when I give it to them. Most of the time my son reacts automatically to such looks and immediately corrects himself.

Again, taking this much too seriously...but isn't that "the way" here? I mean, honestly, someone can't post anything that has more than one opinion without being "yelled at" in some way and the thread going totally to h*ll in a handbasket. I mean, someone is always going to be offended by something, huh?

Did you delete something about me not reading this or responding if I didn't like it? B/c I swear I read that and now it is gone.

But anyway...this thread is 5:1 in your favor!!!

You even have some of the most frequent and most respected posters agreeing with you!

Why worry about me? I am ridiculous and uneducated, as some posters have called me.

I'm guessing that your kids are still young and need the extra instruction. Mine, at 9, knows she needs to correct herself immediately when she receives the look from either her father or me.

I have 2 teenagers and another in double digits.

I think giving anyone a look and expecting them to respond is playing games.

I did post that at first and then I decided it was uncalled for. I don't find you to be uneducated and I don't disrepect you. :( I just don't want to be yelled at because I didn't post this thread for that reason.

No one wants to be yelled at. I am sorry if I yelled.

:grouphug:

No, you're not freakishly odd. Or if you are, we are, too. Passing gas is no big deal. Around here, it's 'where's that mouse'.

Janet

When I was a kid we called it "passing wind." I was totally shocked when I was 10 and my dad told me that some of his child patients only knew the word fart, which was still too vulgar for me. Note that I use it freely now...

When I was a kid we called it "passing wind." I was totally shocked when I was 10 and my dad told me that some of his child patients only knew the word fart, which was still too vulgar for me. Note that I use it freely now...

Growing up, that word - f*** - was totally off limits. One time my mom and dad were having a silly little argument, and mom called dad an 'old f***'. That's the maddest I ever saw dad at mom. For dad, it was crude and disrespectful. See, I can't even type it. In our family, it's a 'flewff'. Have no idea where that got started.

Janet

I'm sorry, but I find his reply pretty funny. We have a crude sense of humor in our house, though. :tongue_smilie: Was it unusually cruel? Um, I personally wouldn't make my kid ever eat in a bathroom on the toilet. I think that's much worse than a 9 year old boy farting and making a witty comment about it, imho. I think if I felt so offended by it I would have had him go eat at the kitchen counter. I probably would have been laughing too hard to do anything else though, so....:lol:

*Edited to add*- I am also snickering at the tags for this thread. Sorry, as you were.

Edited by dtb1999
added more

i thought it was funny and wouldn't have a problem with it.

I presume you did it due to lack of respect, not because he had a normal body function that can't always be managed.

Now, I didn't read all 5 pages about farting, so pardon me for repeating anyone...

what was the "language" issue??? oh my, tell me it isn't "fart"? because seriously if fart offends the ears, I have no idea how you leave the house without being offended!:001_huh:

the other issue is what did you expect him to do? You gave "The Look" of expectation and warning, which I totally parently understand, but what were you expecting?

in MY home we never say anything about toots, farts, or whatever you want to call it. We totally ignore it as much as possible. sometimes quietly vacating the premises or asking "what the ------? whre the air freshener?" To ME saying "excuse me" just brings more attention/embarrassment to it.:D

in MY home we never say anything about toots, farts, or whatever you want to call it. We totally ignore it as much as possible. To ME saying "excuse me" just brings more attention/embarrassment to it.:D

Yup, that was one of my points buried in the pages of the thread! Amazing how everyone's fart/toot/gas etiquette varies!

Well I think you're brilliant. As for them leaving the room, passing gas and returning to the table....at our house this seems to be just as hysterical as NOT leaving the room. I can't win.

Remudamom, I'm sorry you can't win because it's still hysterical even if the one passing gas leaves the room. :lol: But if they leave the room before passing the gas at least the quality of the air you have to breath is better. :lol:

I LOVE IT! I think it was a great idea! That kind of behavior is not tolerated in my home. And yes, most of the time, you CAN keep from doing it until you get to another room. Dh and I have been together for 13 years and we have never passed gas in front of each other. I have two boys and neither of them are allowed to do that at the table. It is ill-mannered.

"....Dh and I h ave been together for 13 years and we have never passed gas in front of each other...." I find that so unusual. But then my dh has had intestinal issues and once had to have surgery on his colon. If we did not ever pass gas in each others presence we would have had to make many mad dashes out of the car or room or tried to do some convincing of the other person that we were not the guilty party. I don't think your situation in that regard is even possible for some people. You are fortunate. :lol:

For maximum impact I find it's always best to let it sit and heat up a bit before fanning.:D

You know, I once read a humourous page that defined characteristics such as amiable, sadistic, etc in terms of farts. I don't remember which it was, but one was farting in bed and then fanning the covers. When we read this (my parents, siblings and I--no Oxford comma) I learned that my mother was too embarassed to fart in front of my dad for the first 2 or so years of their marriage. My dad, on the other hand, thought it really funny to fart in bad and wave the covers over my mother.

Finally, my mother returned the favour, and my dad never did it again.

As for intelligent people discussing this I think that's par for the course. It's just a funny part of life (as long as I don't have to smell it.) Remember that scene in Blazing Saddles? The cowboys around the fire after they ate their beans? I probably wouldn't laugh now, but at that time I laughed so hard...