Menu

Why do you homeschool (in the context of the Meyers-Briggs)

If you haven't already done so, take this personality profile: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

and post insights into why you've chosen homeschooling within the context of your MBTI results. Virgina Dawn mused that she believed, "A lot of ISTJ's get into homeschooling be cause of their traditionalist mindset. In a sense they would like to recapture something from "The Good Old Days" or rebel against the modern innovations of the public school system that they see not working."

As for me, I'm an INTP...

Slight Introvert preference (11)

Heavy Intuitive preference (100)

Thinking/Feeling split down the middle (1)

Moderate Perceiving preference (33)

I started homeschooling because I express my love for my children by sharing ideas with them (N). My neighbor couldn't imagine homeschooling because she's a heavy E and S and showed her love for her children by taking them to amusement parks...a special circle of hell for me. I also enjoy getting up in the morning and thinking, "What do I want to do today?" which shows my Perceiving preference. Also I like to take naps when the urge hits :D

I use TWTM because it helped me to give my kids context. In school, I was always frustrated because no one would tell me *why*. But I heavily alter it, HA!

So what about you?? :lurk5:

Barb

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an ESTJ, iirc. I'm about 9 on the Extroverted scale, so it's not extreme. I'm a very concrete thinker - that's S, right? I can't even remember the range of possible scores, but I'm thinking it was 42. I'm a thinker but just barely - I tend to research and analyze things to death, then in the end go with the feeling in my gut. But I think that feeling in the gut can be based on the facts if it's backed up with research. I don't remember my J score (J is structure, right?). I have a significant but not extreme preference for structure.

I loved school, all the way through college. I still sometimes think about going back to school someday. When my oldest started school, she loved it and thrived in a classroom as long as she had a teacher who challenged her enough. But my middle one has a completely different personality and she didn't belong in a classroom at all. I began homeschooling them because I didn't want my middle child to start hating school and then start hating learning. I wanted them to love learning. We were going to only homeschool her, but the oldest wanted to be homeschooled too, at least until the novelty wore off. She ended up going back to a b&m school for high school, but my younger two are still homeschooled.

I don't know how that fits into my MB traits. I think the E helps me enjoy being with my kids so much. The J helps me with scheduling and having a plan, but I'm not so J that I can't be flexible. The T is probably part of the reason TWTM appeals to me, with its emphasis on learning the facts before forming opinions and using logic to defend one's opinions.

BTW, I didn't take the above test. I took the MB test years ago.

Edited by LizzyBee

never heard of this before but did it for fun...

....As caretakers, ESFJs sense danger all around--germs within, the elements without, unscrupulous malefactors, insidious character flaws. The world is a dangerous place, not to be trusted. Not that the ESFJ is paranoid; 'hyper-vigilant' would be more precise. And thus they serve excellently as protectors, outstanding in fields such as medical care and elementary education. hmmmm:001_smile:

and this...Of all the Idealists, the Teacher (ENFJ) is the most likely to seek leadership positions in the private or public sector. The Teacher is drawn to careers in education or social services, such as college professor, high school teacher, social worker, or non-profit director.

very interesting, thanks for posting the link

Edited by jcooperetc

I'm an ESTJ, iirc. I'm about 9 on the Extroverted scale, so it's not extreme. I'm a very concrete thinker - that's S, right?

Yeah, that's your S. I'm a pretty middle of the road E/I as well. I was shy as a child, but lived life outloud with nary an unexpressed thought. I love public speaking but hate being stuck in the middle of large crowds. I prefer the front of the room or the side of the room. As I get older, I have less need for acquaintances or even many friendships. I am recharged both by interacting with others (and often need to talk in order to know what I think), and drained by it. It depends on how well I know them or how much I have in common with them. My husband and dad, by contrast, can meet a best friend in any room of strangers.

I loved school, all the way through college.

I loathed school but loved reading on my own. I always felt like I was shaving my corners and disappointing someone. I always had "does not work to potential" written on my report cards.

I don't know how that fits into my MB traits. I think the E helps me enjoy being with my kids so much. The J helps me with scheduling and having a plan, but I'm not so J that I can't be flexible. The T is probably part of the reason TWTM appeals to me, with its emphasis on learning the facts before forming opinions and using logic to defend one's opinions.

That actually sounds like really accurate insight. Thank you for sharing it...very interesting!

never heard of this before but did it for fun...

....As caretakers, ESFJs sense danger all around--germs within, the elements without, unscrupulous malefactors, insidious character flaws. The world is a dangerous place, not to be trusted. Not that the ESFJ is paranoid; 'hyper-vigilant' would be more precise. And thus they serve excellently as protectors, outstanding in fields such as medical care and elementary education. hmmmm:001_smile:

Hmmm...so do you feel like you homeschool primarily to protect your kids?

Barb

As for me, I'm an INTP...

My neighbor couldn't imagine homeschooling because she's a heavy E and S and showed her love for her children by taking them to amusement parks...a special circle of hell for me.

My husband an I are both INTPs. He's right with you in considering amusement parks a special circle of hell! I actually don't mind them.

But, I hate large parties with no one I know well to talk to in a corner, and he doesn't mind them too much, although we don't randomly go to ones we don't have to.

My husband an I are both INTPs. He's right with you in considering amusement parks a special circle of hell! I actually don't mind them.

But, I hate large parties with no one I know well to talk to in a corner, and he doesn't mind them too much, although we don't randomly go to ones we don't have to.

Seanne was my best friend back in PA. She was an ESFP and a really good foil for me as I tend to take myself too seriously sometimes. She would often blurt out things that could be construed as hurtful (like, I've always thought that homeschoolers just did it to control their children), but I knew to take her comments with a grain of salt because she just said what was on her mind and didn't think much deeper than the surface about things. And she'd be devastated (heavy F) to know that she could hurt me in any way. She didn't just kind of like amusement parks...she LOVED amusement parks. She went out of her way to visit amusement parks within a day's drive and would sometimes take my kids with her, which they loved. Any time the kids were off school, off they'd go. But she could never, ever see herself homeschooling. She saw that as very much the school's job. Her job was to love her kids and show them a good time.

Referring to your comment above, I think the differences even within types are so interesting. I also think a lot is explained by the percentage preferences included in the site you linked. I took this one years ago, but I've not seen it in so long. I'm so glad you reintroduced it to me, especially now that my older kids can take it. So much fun!

Barb

Ditto from another 100% N!

I see your babies are still little. I hope you find yourself blessed with N's as they grow. I find it so satisfying to teach my N's because they are hang on my every word, LOL. Seriously, my older daughters are my closest friends because they love to hang out and discuss ideas with me. My oldest is majoring in Biology with an emphasis in Biology in Society with a dual major in Philosophy. She's an INTJ :D

Barb

78% introverted

62% intuitive

12% thinking

22% judging

Does this explain my behavior at my new Bible study? No one I knew in a big crowd that we were supposed to "fellowship" with before we started. I got coffee I didn't want, looked for people I knew. Put more sugar I didn't want while I looked for people. Got a breakfast pastry I really didn't want. Went to the bathroom.

Edited by snickelfritz

"A lot of ISTJ's get into homeschooling be cause of their traditionalist mindset... or rebel against the modern innovations of the public school system that they see not working."

I'm an ISTJ and this is my reason for pulling my son out of public school. It just wasn't working, and the reasons I got from teachers, faculty, et al were unsatisfactory and illogical. Both of my dc are identified as "gifted" and the ps model wasn't working. I knew better than to even try it for dd. As for my own public school experience, I hated how much time was wasted, how history was never taught in chronological order and there was no context, and how we had to do "seat work" while the slower students finished. Waste. Of. Time.

I'm just a rebel at heart. :D

I'm near the extremes on all of my scores, I'm an INTP.

I started tutoring phonics in 1994, by my 3rd student I was determined to homeschool any future children from an efficiency standpoint, and to make sure they learned to read well. My 3rd student was reading at a 3rd grade level going into the 6th grade, I taught him for 6 hours...he was then reading at a 6th grade level. I thought to myself, "Why would I send my children to school when I can teach them more in 6 hours than the schools taught this boy in 6 years?" (I mean, how much can you really learn in any subject but math when you can't read well, and even in math there are word problems and written explanations at the beginning of each lesson.) So, I guess that would be N, T and P, analytical, logical, and flexible. Prior to tutoring, I had thought homeschoolers were crazy and had never considered homeschooling. (As an NTP, I've always been into the efficiency thing. I would plan out how much I needed to work in each class in college for a grade and arrange my study time accordingly, picking which classes I would shoot for an A and which ones I would just resign myself to a B because an A would take too many hours of study. I would find the study ratio that would get me the highest GPA per overall hours of study. I would re-ealuate this as actual grading occurred.)

I became a Christian in 1997, and had a new reason to consider homeschooling--this reason doesn't tie in to the MBTI at all, all types homeschool for this reason.

As I met more and more people who homeschooled and observed their children and how they acted and what they were learning and how they were learning, I was more and more convinced that I would homeschool any future children we might have (N, most of the classes I disliked were taught in an S manner.) I was bored in school and also went through an uncomfortable year or two in middle school as I figured out how to fit in as a geeky girl who didn't naturally understand cliques and people's emotions and needs (I and T.)

By high school I had found my place (and lost my braces!), found some fellow geek friends and friends in sports, but I hated history and how boring it was. I enjoyed a lot of my classes, but classes taught in a multiple choice manner and with dry textbooks really drained my natural love of learning.

I didn't read history books until about 10 years after college. I then found some N friendly history books that really sparked a love of history and its connectedness: Sowell's Culture series, Henry Hobhouse's Seeds of Change, Strauss and Howe's Generations, and David Hackett Fischer's Albion's Seed. I also enjoyed 1776 and a few other books along those lines, books with a narrative style and a larger scope and connectedness.

I enjoy learning languages (NT) and collected several Latin books before I had children. I taught myself a bit, but lacked the discipline to continue without taking a class or having homeschooled children to teach (P.) I also have several language and grammar books and old readers suitable for various ages of children that I've collected through a love of old books (again, collected before I had children.)

Since I enjoy researching things (N) and was also interested in finding new phonics programs to try out on my tutoring students, I attended my first homeschool conference when my oldest was 3. I was in the Northern Virginia area at the time, so I got to see several WTM presentations and materials and was very interested. I also was impressed with Jessie Wise's grasp of the importance of well-taught phonics with few sight words and no pictures.

I half jokingly tell people that I chose Classical Christian homeschooling because I already owned most of the required books!

However, as a P, I do not follow anything exactly, not even my own phonics lessons, and I designed them and I like them!

As a huge T, I really don't care too much what people think, so I've never had a problem with people who don't agree with what I'm doing. Also, my years of tutoring in phonics and some algebra tutoring convinced me that I could easily teach what was required. But, as an Introvert, I don't volunteer the information about our homeschooling unless they ask or the subject comes up...although I do mention my tutoring to everyone with children and offer to give them a reading grade level test for them to give their children if they wish. I also say that if they need help, I've given dozens and will give it for them if they want to find out where their children are but need help with the test.

We had a neighbor girl who told my daughter that I shouldn't be teaching her because I didn't know as much as a "real" teacher. My daughter was very upset with this. I told her that that was not correct at all, and that I had taught many children and adults to read whose teachers had not been able to teach them to read.

As a P, I love the flexibility of homeschooling, especially with our constant moves and my husband's unpredictable schedule. Also, his current job has late hours, we get to see him more because we just stay up late and wake up late. The children would have to go to bed minutes after he arrived home most days if we had to get up to send my oldest to school.

Edited by ElizabethB

I am an INFP. I am 100% (I) and I can tell you that certainly had something to do with why homeschooling was so appealing to me. The thought of dealing with teachers, and principles and the PTA and other students, well it was just more than I could bear. We only have one E in the family so it works well for all of us.

I think that homeschooling can work equally well for both Ns and Ss but for different reasons. For Ns it works well because it allows people to follow their interests and love of learning and deep thinking. They can move as fast as they would like and cover as many different subjects as they like. For Ss, they can get more hands on, step-by-step, detailed learning than they can get in a PS environment. They can learn by doing and seeing and participating.

I don't think that the F or T component has much influence on homeschooling.

And let's face it, school schedules and planning and note taking and organizing are just plain painful and difficult for Ps. You can not stroll into PS in your PJs and noon and say you know today I feel like doing reading first and then maybe history and science and I put off math until I absoultely have to do it. :tongue_smilie:

Some quotes I have about INFP from a book I have:

Creative and imaginative, INFPs have great curiosity about the world and often have a passionate and lifelong love of the arts. They especially appreciate new and unusual forms of self-expression. Not bound by convention or traditional ways of doing things, INFPs do not follow the pack, and often feel a little out of sync with the rest of the world. Open-minded and adaptable in small things, they are usually tolerant of others with alternative lifestyles.

This describes me to a T and I think really helps explain my draw to homeschooling.

Your Type is

INTJ

• Introverted 89%
  • Intuitive 12%
  • Thinking 38%
  • Judging 11%

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

• very expressed introvert
  • slightly expressed intuitive personality
  • moderately expressed thinking personality
  • slightly expressed judging personality

Someone want to explain this to me? These are my results.

Michelle

Edited by Michelle My Bell

I am INTJ

56% Introverted

Inititative 25%

Thinking 25%

Judging 56%

Now I agree with the Introverted being at 56% but do not agree about Judging though. I am more of a thinker than a judger. My dh said that he doesn't agree with the judging and thinking scores for me. He complains that I think too much!!

Introverted and Inititative seems right on. I am very introverted!! I also speak my mind though but not in a judging way though.

Holly

I am INTJ

56% Introverted

Inititative 25%

Thinking 25%

Judging 56%

Now I agree with the Introverted being at 56% but do not agree about Judging though. I am more of a thinker than a judger. My dh said that he doesn't agree with the judging and thinking scores for me. He complains that I think too much!!

Introverted and Inititative seems right on. I am very introverted!! I also speak my mind though but not in a judging way though.

Holly

J does not mean judging. It relates to how neat you are, how much order and control you like, and how much you like to plan things.

J's like order, planning, lists, control.

P's tolerate mess, like flexibility, dislike rules and regulations, and don't usually try to control other's actions or situations unless it's impeding them in some way that is really annoying to them.

This is an easy answer for me.

I home school because I believe it was something the Lord wanted me to do. In fact, the Lord and I "wrestled" about this for an entire summer. I did *not* want to do it. I argued and pleaded. I kicked my heels and stubbornly said, "No!" Pretty much had a temper tantrum, and in the end, 3 months later, my dd was withdrawn from her private school education and in my kitchen with a math book.

It has been the most fulfilling thing I have done and I am so glad that even though I didn't want to, I obeyed anyway.

This fits in with the intuitive, feeling and judging parts impeccably, don't you think? :lol:

Also, in regards to homeschooling, here is a segment of the personality type that is very true of me, esp. what I have in bold. High expectations of my dc as well as myself is a real problem sometimes: They have high expectations of their children, and push them to be the best that they can be. This can sometimes manifest itself in the INFJ being hard-nosed and stubborn. But generally, children of an INFJ get devoted and sincere parental guidance, combined with deep caring.

(btw, I read that INFJ's make up only 1% of the population, making it the most rare. This explains why very few people understand me, LOL)

I am INTJ

56% Introverted

Inititative 25%

Thinking 25%

Judging 56%

Holly

Each of the 4 traits you see listed has an opposite. You are either Introverted or Extroverted, either Intuitive or Sensing, either Thinking or Feeling, and either Judging or Perceiving. Everyone has a natural preference for one side or the other of each of these four areas. How your preferences fall give you your particular personality type. Since people can strongly or weakly prefer the different ways of responding to the world and the people in it, the percentiles give you an idea of how strongly you prefer that side of the continuum for that particular trait. So in your case, you are fairly strongly introverted, you somewhat prefer learn about theory and ideas (Intuitive) over facts and practical details (sensing), in general you see the world and make decisions through logic(T) rather than your emotions (F), and you are organized and take comfort in knowing things are settled and in having a routine (judging) rather than taking things as they come and enjoying flying by the seat of your pants (perceiving). You strongly prefer to know what's coming next and don't care much for the unexpected.

Google INTJ for a fuller picture.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

78% introverted

62% intuitive

12% thinking

22% judging

Does this explain my behavior at my new Bible study? No one I knew in a big crowd that we were supposed to "fellowship" with before we started. I got coffee I didn't want, looked for people I knew. Put more sugar I didn't want while I looked for people. Got a breakfast pastry I really didn't want. Went to the bathroom.

LOL, yep. There are probably more INTJ's on this thread than you have in your entire church. I'm almost certain from the sounds of things you were the only one in the room. :D

My oldest is an INTJ female. It's hard enough to be an introvert in a crowd, but an introverted female who doesn't do hugs and other PDAs without faking it? Who isn't enamored of scrapbooking? If it makes you feel any better, I would totally have caught your INTJ vibe and would have attempted to start an interesting conversation. My daughter has taught me to spot you guys a mile away, and I'm always thrilled to uncover one.

BArb

I'm just a rebel at heart. :D

:lol:

I'm another ISTJ, and that cracked me up. I'm taking my son out because it just flat isn't working at private school. In other words, standards are not being upheld. In my little world, that's unacceptable, and I figure I can do better!

Plus, my S isn't very strong... depending on the test I will swing to the N side sometimes. Figures, eh? However, my other scores are huge - 67% introverted, 75% thinking, and 89% judging. Mass chaos drives me crazy! This is probably why I also don't visit any retail stores between Thanksgiving and New Year's unless I have to!

LOL, yep. There are probably more INTJ's on this thread than you have in your entire church. I'm almost certain from the sounds of things you were the only one in the room. :D

My oldest is an INTJ female. It's hard enough to be an introvert in a crowd, but an introverted female who doesn't do hugs and other PDAs without faking it? Who isn't enamored of scrapbooking? If it makes you feel any better, I would totally have caught your INTJ vibe and would have attempted to start an interesting conversation. My daughter has taught me to spot you guys a mile away, and I'm always thrilled to uncover one.

BArb

LOL I would have been in the corner with you discussing non-scrapbooking things. (I'm an INTP.) I actually do make a nice 1 page Christmas letter each year that is in quasi-digital scrapbooking style, however. Mostly, I do this as an efficient way to keep up with everyone and to save pictures of us and what we did for the year. I save them all in a book and call it good.

LOL I would have been in the corner with you discussing non-scrapbooking things. (I'm an INTP.) I actually do make a nice 1 page Christmas letter each year that is in quasi-digital scrapbooking style, however. Mostly, I do this as an efficient way to keep up with everyone and to save pictures of us and what we did for the year. I save them all in a book and call it good.

Somehow, I don't believe a dyed-in-the-wool scrapbooker would cite efficiency as one of her top ten goals in scrapbooking :lol:

Barb

However, my other scores are huge - 67% introverted, 75% thinking, and 89% judging. Mass chaos drives me crazy!

Heeheehee...given your percentages I have a feeling there are quite a wide range of circumstances you'd consider mass chaos. I can see your eye twitching all the way over here.

Barb

Architects are the master designers of all kinds of theoretical systems, including school curricula, corporate strategies, and new technologies.

Architects are rare - maybe one percent of the population - and show the greatest precision in thought and speech of all the types.

Glad I took this test. My head is growing bigger by the minute!:lol:

I am an INFP. I am 100% (I) and I can tell you that certainly had something to do with why homeschooling was so appealing to me. The thought of dealing with teachers, and principles and the PTA and other students, well it was just more than I could bear. We only have one E in the family so it works well for all of us.

I think that homeschooling can work equally well for both Ns and Ss but for different reasons. For Ns it works well because it allows people to follow their interests and love of learning and deep thinking. They can move as fast as they would like and cover as many different subjects as they like. For Ss, they can get more hands on, step-by-step, detailed learning than they can get in a PS environment. They can learn by doing and seeing and participating.

I don't think that the F or T component has much influence on homeschooling.

And let's face it, school schedules and planning and note taking and organizing are just plain painful and difficult for Ps. You can not stroll into PS in your PJs and noon and say you know today I feel like doing reading first and then maybe history and science and I put off math until I absoultely have to do it. :tongue_smilie:

Some quotes I have about INFP from a book I have:

Creative and imaginative, INFPs have great curiosity about the world and often have a passionate and lifelong love of the arts. They especially appreciate new and unusual forms of self-expression. Not bound by convention or traditional ways of doing things, INFPs do not follow the pack, and often feel a little out of sync with the rest of the world. Open-minded and adaptable in small things, they are usually tolerant of others with alternative lifestyles.

This describes me to a T and I think really helps explain my draw to homeschooling.

I am an INFP and your whole quote describes me to a T and also are the reasons that I'm drawn to homeschooling!

I am:

I distinctively expressed introvert (67%)

N very expressed intuitive personality (88%)

F moderately expressed feeling personality (25%)

P moderately expressed perceiving personality (56%)

J does not mean judging. It relates to how neat you are, how much order and control you like, and how much you like to plan things.

J's like order, planning, lists, control.

P's tolerate mess, like flexibility, dislike rules and regulations, and don't usually try to control other's actions or situations unless it's impeding them in some way that is really annoying to them.

Honestly, I feel like I don't even see a mess. I have papers and books and random stuff piled on my night stand and my dh (ISTJ) asked me to please clean up the mess in our room. :confused: I was all "what mess?, that's my stuff!"

Strangely enough, I LOVE making lists. I NEVER follow them, but I do love to make them! :LOL:

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

post insights into why you've chosen homeschooling within the context of your MBTI results.

Not surprisingly, I'm INTJ.

I homeschool because I can do it better than any other resource.

My wife (a teacher by trade and co-homeschool parent) agrees with me. :tongue_smilie:

My Type is

ISFJ

Wow! I've never heard of this before today. I'm surprized at how accurate it is in its description of my personality. Even the jobs are right on key. It says I am the Protector Gaurdian. I homeschool for a variety of reasons and am not sure how strongly my personality influences my actual decisions.

"primary interest is in the safety and security of those they care about - their family, their circle of friends, their students, their patients, their boss, their fellow-workers, or their employees. Protectors have an extraordinary sense of loyalty and responsibility in their makeup, and seem fulfilled in the degree they can shield others from the dirt and dangers of the world"

"seldom happy in situations where the rules are constantly changing, or where long-established ways of doing things are not respected."

""Protectors are quite happy working alone; in fact, in positions of authority they may try to do everything themselves rather than direct others to get the job done. Thoroughness and frugality are also virtues for them."

Well, when I take these personality tests I usually end up with an ESFJ. But this time when I took it I came out as an ENFJ or "The Teacher" :001_huh: So, I guess the shoe fits! :D I really enjoy helping someone grasp a new subject, I love the planning part of homeschooling, and I love the efficiency and customizability of it. I love the fact that, as their mother, I can provide an education for my kids that is better than what they could get almost anywhere else. Here's my score:

E 11%

N 12%

F 38%

J 56%

I go back and forth with the E and I and with the N and S. The E/I I think has to do more with my energy level than anything else. If I'm tired, I turn into an introvert. :001_smile:

Idealist Portrait of the Teacher (ENFJ)Even more than the other Idealists, Teachers have a natural talent for leading students or trainees toward learning, or as Idealists like to think of it, they are capable of calling forth each learner's potentials. Teachers (around two percent of the population) are able - effortlessly, it seems, and almost endlessly-to dream up fascinating learning activities for their students to engage in. In some Teachers, this ability to fire the imagination can amount to a kind of genius which other types find hard to emulate. But perhaps their greatest strength lies in their belief in their students. Teachers look for the best in their students, and communicate clearly that each one has untold potential, and this confidence can inspire their students to grow and develop more than they ever thought possible.

Guardianâ„¢ Portrait of the Provider (ESFJ)

Providers take it upon themselves to insure the health and welfare of those in their care, but they are also the most sociable of all the Guardians, and thus are the great nurturers of social institutions such as schools, churches, social clubs, and civic groups. Providers are very likely more than ten percent of the population, and this is fortunate for the rest of us, because friendly social service is a key to their nature. Wherever they go, Providers happily give their time and energy to make sure that the needs of others are met, and that social functions are a success.

This site is also fun - at the bottom of each page it tells you what type of relationship you have with each of the other different personalities. This is when I discovered that my relationship with dh is classified as an "enigma." :lol:

I was shy as a child, but lived life outloud with nary an unexpressed thought. I love public speaking but hate being stuck in the middle of large crowds. I prefer the front of the room or the side of the room. As I get older, I have less need for acquaintances or even many friendships. I am recharged both by interacting with others (and often need to talk in order to know what I think), and drained by it. It depends on how well I know them or how much I have in common with them.

Okay, well, I seriously doubt anyone would ever describe me ~ now or as a child ~ as "shy":D, but beyond that, I'm with you. My issue with crowds is that I want personal space. The socializing, speaking, etc isn't the issue. The "recharge" factor for me primarily has to do with my own mood, and the structure of the setting. A gathering about sustainable business? I'm pumped and networking. A mall? Right up there with amusement parks.:eek:

Let's see...Rationals are pragmatic, skeptical, strong-willed, independent. Ahhh, that sounds so much better than "controlling".:D

As an INTJ mastermind, I demand efficiency, am not impressed by traditional authority, and don't feel bound by traditional rules. As an ENTJ fieldmarshal, I can not NOT lead. And then there's the guardian in me ~ the inspector (ISTJ) & supervisor (ESTJ). Add it all up and what does that spell? "Micro-manager!" Ahem. Make that, "Homeschooler!";)

Dh is an INTJ but I am an INFJ.

I 100%

N 94%

F 50%

J 33%

My friends all say that I am very oraganized and am a planner. I constantly write out lesson plans for fun and then never use them. Lol.

I am an idealist, and my profile says that I like to help people achieve their best. And as a home educator, I have made it so that my oldest has the tools and resources that she needs to do her best (she uses the LCC model) and that my youngest has the tools and resources to do her best (she uses the traditional textbook model).

One thing that stood out to me in the test is that I don't like to be restricted by obligations. And really, I try to keep our schedule free because when we do have a lot of obligations, I get stressed.

My personality type influcence my homeschool because I am one who wants to help others do and be their best.:001_smile:

Dh is an INTJ but I am an INFJ.

I 100%

N 94%

F 50%

J 33%

My friends all say that I am very oraganized and am a planner. I constantly write out lesson plans for fun and then never use them. Lol.

I am an idealist, and my profile says that I like to help people achieve their best. And as a home educator, I have made it so that my oldest has the tools and resources that she needs to do her best (she uses the LCC model) and that my youngest has the tools and resources to do her best (she uses the traditional textbook model).

One thing that stood out to me in the test is that I don't like to be restricted by obligations. And really, I try to keep our schedule free because when we do have a lot of obligations, I get stressed.

My personality type influcence my homeschool because I am one who wants to help others do and be their best.:001_smile:

I'm a INFJ as well and your post word for word describes what I am doing for my kids. :)

As to what you mentioned about obligations, one of the downsides to going to a school was being tied down to their schedule and on their timeframe (which is not the end of the rule for some).

Let's see...Rationals are pragmatic, skeptical, strong-willed, independent. Ahhh, that sounds so much better than "controlling".:D

As an INTJ mastermind, I demand efficiency, am not impressed by traditional authority, and don't feel bound by traditional rules. As an ENTJ fieldmarshal, I can not NOT lead. And then there's the guardian in me ~ the inspector (ISTJ) & supervisor (ESTJ). Add it all up and what does that spell? "Micro-manager!" Ahem. Make that, "Homeschooler!";)

Based on what I have heard you say over the years I would guess you are an INTJ and if there was one that I was unsure of it would be the N/S so ISTJ. Which of those do you feel fit you better?

Also, in regards to homeschooling, here is a segment of the personality type that is very true of me, esp. what I have in bold. High expectations of my dc as well as myself is a real problem sometimes: They have high expectations of their children, and push them to be the best that they can be. This can sometimes manifest itself in the INFJ being hard-nosed and stubborn. But generally, children of an INFJ get devoted and sincere parental guidance, combined with deep caring.

(btw, I read that INFJ's make up only 1% of the population, making it the most rare. This explains why very few people understand me, LOL)

Hey, Janna! I'm another one of the "rare" ones. I was beginning to think I was the only one...kind of an weird feeling. Glad I'm not alone:001_smile:

Another INTJ! I homeschool for a lot of reasons but I have to admit that I am a control freak who could not possibly leave the education of her children to someone else who might not do it correctly. :blush:

I also don't do hugs with those outside my family (I didn't even have a receiving line at my wedding) BECAUSE I can't fake emotion very well...it is either there or it isn't. :D I have trouble with really emotional people, not because I don't like them, but because I don't know how to react around them. I get really uncomfortable and unsure of what I am supposed to do. Does that make sense?

So if you just want a shoulder to cry on, I'll do my best but I probably won't make you feel much better. BUT if you want someone to help you chart a course of action to help you with your problem...I'm your girl!

78% introverted

62% intuitive

12% thinking

22% judging

I'm INTJ too, I went and checked and that's also how the college had me when I took it there.

Here's a description I have of an INTJ from then:

To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age. When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers. On the other hand, they do tend to be scrupulous and even-handed about recognizing the individual contributions that have gone into a project, and have a gift for seizing opportunities which others might not even notice.

In the broadest terms, what INTJs "do" tends to be what they "know". Typical INTJ career choices are in the sciences and engineering, but they can be found wherever a combination of intellect and incisiveness are required (e.g., law, some areas of academia). INTJs can rise to management positions when they are willing to invest time in marketing their abilities as well as enhancing them, and (whether for the sake of ambition or the desire for privacy) many also find it useful to learn to simulate some degree of surface conformism in order to mask their inherent unconventionality

78% introverted

62% intuitive

12% thinking

22% judging

INTJ here, too.

Yep, your results completely explain your behavior. I've definitely BTDT. Forced "fellowship" is definitely not my cup of tea.

Barb, I homeschool because no one else can do nearly as good a job of guiding my children's education as I can. ;) (I put the *wink* there but I'm not really kidding.)

Edited by Jackie in AR