Menu

Ramen Noodles - convenience and unhealthy?

We use only half the packets of the seasonings because the packets are loaded with sodium. (We make 6 packages for this family of 8) Ramen is always #1 on the kids what's for lunch request. There are tons of ways to make it more healthier and/or more palatable. Their is actually a website/blog/recipe site dedicated to Ramen. It is loaded with recipes using it. I remember stumbling on it once and saving the website before our old computer crashed.

We take a leftover seasoning packet and sprinkle on a pound of browning beef, we mix that in with an 8oz box of cooked spaghetti, and a can of peas and carrots.

Personally I am sick of Ramen. I grew up on them and that's all dh and I ate the first 5 years of our marriage.

The empty calories and lack of nutrition is only in which way you choose to make it. A lot of noodles are lacking in nutrition and full of empty calories until you add the sauce and extra's. ;) My kiddo's love Spaghetti O's too!

I already stepped outside of my comfort zone last week, when I brought fruit snacks into the house. My oldest child is 10, and there has never been a fruit snack in our home. That's enough excitement for us, lol.

So, is there a product called Fruit Snacks? Or are you talking about fresh fruit for a snack?

I used to love Ramen when I was single, and dh and I would have them in our early married days. But when the dc came along, many of my habits changed....for the dc. I didn't even know they were fried until I just read one of the posts here!

Thank you for the info about the Korean spicy noodles. Haven't seen such in our general food marts but will look at the asian marts. Usually go into them for certain items and stick to list, my dc can go crazy in an asian food mart. No Costco in our area, but will look when we visit ils, they have a membership. Thanks again.

I think these are an extremely high-risk food.

And the main risk isn't that Ramen is "junk food" (it is), but that the slew of chemicals, salt, and fat triggers pleasure receptors in the brain in a very artificial way, and that this alters taste perception.

Junk-food scientists know that we, as a species will respond to salty-sweet-fatty food. The problem is once a child's (or your own) palate is acclimatized to the "rush" of artificially seasoned foods, it is difficult for them to enjoy the far superior (but more subtle) taste sensations of real food.

These are a 100% "no go" as far as I'm concerned.

Bill (the wrist-slapper :D)

And the main risk isn't that Ramen is "junk food" (it is), but that the slew of chemicals, salt, and fat triggers pleasure receptors in the brain in a very artificial way, and that this alters taste perception.

Junk-food scientists know that we, as a species will respond to salty-sweet-fatty food. The problem is once a child's (or your own) palate is acclimatized to the "rush" of artificially seasoned foods, it is difficult for them to enjoy the far superior (but more subtle) taste sensations of real food.

You "hit the nail on the head." My kids don't enjoy the good healthy foods I'm fixing. They prefer to wait it out for the junk food. And then they'll tank up on it. I make healthy, tasty foods that they'll eat at least one serving of. It's retraining their palate.

Sigh. It's all my doing.

Put me in the "eat 'em occasionally even though we know they're not healthy" group.

For the kids and me, we'll split 2 packages...with a couple of eggs, some grated carrot, diced green onion, & whatever other veggies we might have (cabbage, green beans, mushrooms, spinach...). Also, probably a third of the liquid doesn't get eaten. So we are getting some fat & salt - but also some protein, roughage, & vitamins.

We only do this about once a month. Otherwise we eat sandwiches on whole wheat bread, or something homemade like Chickpea Salad With Cumin and Lemon.

dd12 loves to eat them dry as a snack - she crushes the package and sprinkles on some seasoning, crunch crunch crunch. Heh, this is restricted to the kitchen or outside though, because those crushed noodle bits tend to get away and make a mess. :tongue_smilie:

My kids do this as well and now so do all the neighbor kids. I have asked the neighbors about any food restrictions their kids might have.

and i think the "subtle taste" of "healthy" foods is over rated and not necessarily superior as far as TASTE is concerned ;).

but then again, i don't think that just because something is artificial means it is automatically bad or unhealthy either.

Have you guys seen this?

Top Ramen

Chicken Flavor 3oz

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1

Amount per Serving

Calories 14 Calories from Fat 60

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 6.3g 10%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 1433.6mg 60%

Total Carbohydrate 36.8g 12%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 0 0%

Vitamin A 8

Iron 12.1

Est. Percent of Calories from:

Fat 405.0% Carbs 1051.4%

Protein 0.0%

Well, good grief, I should ditch trying to increase my daily salt with pickles and olives and go with Ramen Noodles instead. I had no idea.

P.S. - I take a med that causes me to have low blood sodium levels and I actually have to make an effort to get enough salt.

No offense, but i call it horrible. My mother bought them all the time instead of real food because the rest of her money went to happy hour! My kids beg for them and I can't bring myself to buy them unless I'm making broccoli slaw (you use the seasoning packet in the recipe).

You obviously have other negative reasons for not liking them.

and i think the "subtle taste" of "healthy" foods is over rated and not necessarily superior as far as TASTE is concerned ;).

but then again, i don't think that just because something is artificial means it is automatically bad or unhealthy either.

You have destroyed your sense of taste with years of inveterate soft-drink consumption, and have no ground upon which to stand :D

If you think I'm going to be "post-modernist" about this Peep, you are sadly mistaken.:tongue_smilie:

Bill (who really needs to do more "formatting")

You "hit the nail on the head." My kids don't enjoy the good healthy foods I'm fixing. They prefer to wait it out for the junk food. And then they'll tank up on it. I make healthy, tasty foods that they'll eat at least one serving of. It's retraining their palate.

Sigh. It's all my doing.

The good news is that the situation is reversible. The "bad news" (for some) is that there really are no half-measures.

The brain and palate will "reset" but it takes pretty much total avoidance of processed foods. And demands that we "home-cooks" (in our desire to "please") don't replicate the salty-sweet-fatty matrix in our meals that we are avoiding in "junk food".

So you can take a perfectly lovely piece of broccoli and then add butter and "cheezy" sauce, and kid yourself that you are breaking the cycle.

It is imperative to do so. Our national diet is killing our fellow citizens, and robbing them of vitality and health along the way.

Bill

Am I the only person who has never tried Ramen noodles? I do know what you're talking about, but only because I have seen them on our Church's Food Pantry needs list. I have never bought them...wait, scratch that. I think I have bought them once for the church...aren't they super cheap? Like I'm thinking they were 10 for $1!? Can that be right?

Anyway, I have never tasted them. But I can tell you based on the sodium levels I saw listed, that I would never buy them for my family. Call me a "Ramen Snob"...I'm OK with that. :D

My MIL gave us a bunch of ramen with a ramen cookbook. She said you can just throw the seasoning packet away. What!!! Throw away the best part! I could suck those seasoning packets without the noodles. Yummy, salt!

Kelly

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I only eat the real asian brands. I don't usually see them in American grocery stores. I've never tasted the kind that costs 10cents a pack!

Anyway, I ate a ton of those things growing up (my mom worked).

i use to eat them raw: open package, take out seasoning packet, pour packet into noodles, and shake... YUM!

the Sapporo- Ichiban brand is my kids' favorite.

Ruthie

Ruth

We eat a pretty unprocessed diet in our home. We might have some meat or fish once a month and usually my dh and two of the children might eat it. We, also, seldom eat dairy or eggs. We eat very, very little fat. In fact, I had to add some into my diet right now because I'm just not gaining weight at all this pregnancy even though I eat a lot.

I don't consider Ramen evil.

I pick up a few here and there. I never use the seasoning packet because I'm allergic to MSG and suspect one of my children is, as well. We use a powdered Unchicken broth or some Braggs. I add mixed frozen veggies and some tofu. I really like a little Teriyaki or peanut sauce and some hot sauce, too.

I do prefer fresh noodles, though. I don't feel bad because honestly my children eat a lot of fresh veggies, fruits and whole grains with very little fat in their diet. So, the once a month Ramen or potato chip/crisp splurge just doesn't bother me.

I love hearing what others use it for though. I love to break up a few packages with a bag of coleslaw, some green onions, and cilantro and maybe some baked tofu if I have it. Use whatever you want for dressing. I like some spike, Rice wine vinegar, Braggs or Soy Sauce, and sesame oil. My Aunt always used the seasoning packet in place of the Spike

You have destroyed your sense of taste with years of inveterate soft-drink consumption, and have no ground upon which to stand :D

If you think I'm going to be "post-modernist" about this Peep, you are sadly mistaken.:tongue_smilie:

Bill (who really needs to do more "formatting")

yabbut --the evidence still stands that the artificial tastes are so much "better" because, well, they *taste better*.

when you say it "triggers pleasure receptors in the brain in a very artificial way, and that this alters taste perception." the thing is that it TRIGGERS those taste receptors *because the stuff tastes better*. We could look at all the natural foods that trigger taste receptors in a stronger manner than "other regular" foods too: is it because there's something in those particular foods that isn't found in the regular stuff? probably. does that stronger trigger make it an unnatural or artificial triggering? not necessarily.

I think the worst thing that the health food circuit has tried to do is rave about the improved taste. Sorry -- that's a losing battle. It's not an "improved superior better taste" it's that you have to brainwash yourself to forget that there is stuff that tastes better. :lol: To win the rest of us over you gotta tout the actual health benefits. For those of us that aren't exactly unhealthy, that's gonna be tough. The human body is designed to handle so many variables and do so many different things that each person needs a diet that will keep THEIR body at an efficient pace.

You can call it an "artificial" way but again --"artificial" isn't necessarily synonymous w/ "evil" or "unhealthy." It is what it is: more potent than what we might find in the typical fare. Taking a good multivitamin would be "artificial" but I see very few people advocating strongly against those.

Now for some of us, this is fine because our bodies can handle healthily a lot of stuff, like living to 96 ;) For those who have all kinds of allergies or systems that aren't quite so strong or disorders, then yeah, stuff like ramen soup probably isn't a good idea.

you don't have to be post-modernistic; you can remain convinced that you are right and the rest of us will happily roll our eyes while gobbling down ramen soup and cokes convinced that you are obsessed. :D

and when i do run across someone that is interested in cutting out those things from their diet, I'll send them to the Wrist-Slapping Guru ;)

I think the worst thing that the health food circuit has tried to do is rave about the improved taste. Sorry -- that's a losing battle. It's not an "improved superior better taste" it's that you have to brainwash yourself to forget that there is stuff that tastes better. :lol:

Oy vey! What a shame you don't use your awful* intelligence in pursuit of your own health. Obstinate, obstinate, obstinate :D

When was the last time you had a palate unsullied by heavy junk food exposure? With a clean palate those synthetic concoctions would taste: Yuck!, blech!, vile!

And healthy food would be: Yum!

Listen, or don't.

To win the rest of us over you gotta tout the actual health benefits. For those of us that aren't exactly unhealthy, that's gonna be tough. The human body is designed to handle so many variables and do so many different things that each person needs a diet that will keep THEIR body at an efficient pace.

You can call it an "artificial" way but again --"artificial" isn't necessarily synonymous w/ "evil" or "unhealthy." It is what it is: more potent than what we might find in the typical fare. Taking a good multivitamin would be "artificial" but I see very few people advocating strongly against those.

Now for some of us, this is fine because our bodies can handle healthily a lot of stuff, like living to 96 ;)....

and when i do run across someone that is interested in cutting out those things from their diet, I'll send them to the Wrist-Slapping Guru ;)

Who you gonna trust, me or a guy named Momofuku Ando? (Will that even get by the auto-censor??? :tongue_smilie:)

Bill

* original meaning ;)

Edited by Spy Car

The good news is that the situation is reversible. The "bad news" (for some) is that there really are no half-measures.

The brain and palate will "reset" but it takes pretty much total avoidance of processed foods. And demands that we "home-cooks" (in our desire to "please") don't replicate the salty-sweet-fatty matrix in our meals that we are avoiding in "junk food".

So you can take a perfectly lovely piece of broccoli and then add butter and "cheezy" sauce, and kid yourself that you are breaking the cycle.

It is imperative to do so. Our national diet is killing our fellow citizens, and robbing them of vitality and health along the way.

Bill

so it's a good thing I ran out of salt tonite. :001_huh:

My homemade tortillas are being dressed with the leftover red beans & rice (al la Hillbilly houswife), shredded cabbage, homemade taco seasoned hamburger (drained of it's fat, of course!), and a little cheese.

The kids are eating it! One night, tonight, successs. Must not get overly excited or they'll think I slipped something else into it.

for me. . . I'm glad I discovered the bag of giradelli choc. chips in the back of the cupboard while scrounging for a bit of salt. :D Bad mommy!

Oy vey! What a shame you don't use your awful* intelligence in pursuit of your own health. Obstinate, obstinate, obstinate :D

LOL! but that's the thing: MY health is Very Good, so my pursuit has been successful --for ME.

When was the last time you had a palate unsullied by heavy junk food exposure? With a clean palate those synthetic concoctions would taste: Yuck!, blech!, vile!

And healthy food would be: Yum!

Listen, or don't.

one guy's junk is another gal's treasure :D

Who you gonna trust, me or a guy named Momofuku Ando?

if you live to be 96, i'll trust you too :D

My homemade tortillas

Flour or corn? Don't say white flour :D

are being dressed with the leftover red beans & rice (al la Hillbilly houswife), shredded cabbage,

Oustanding!

homemade taco seasoned hamburger (drained of it's fat, of course!),

What's in the taco seasoning?

...and a little cheese.

The kids are eating it! One night, tonight, successs. Must not get overly excited or they'll think I slipped something else into it.

Sounds like a good start.

for me. . . I'm glad I discovered the bag of giradelli choc. chips in the back of the cupboard while scrounging for a bit of salt. :D Bad mommy!

A little dark chocolate won't kill you :001_smile:

Bill (you can do this)

Wow, I didn't realize people voluntarily ate those things.

Ewww.

Give me my homemade soup with chard, asian cabbage, carrots, leeks, rutabaga, garbanzo beans, & the slightest sprinkling of fresh parmesan cheese.

We all yummed that up.

LOL, Guess that makes me a ramen snob. I don't look down on ramen eaters. You'll probably live longer than I will since you'll be salt preserved. :lol:

Wow, I didn't realize people voluntarily ate those things.

Ewww.

Give me my homemade soup with chard, asian cabbage, carrots, leeks, rutabaga, garbanzo beans, & the slightest sprinkling of fresh parmesan cheese.

We all yummed that up.

LOL, Guess that makes me a ramen snob. I don't look down on ramen eaters. You'll probably live longer than I will since you'll be salt preserved. :lol:

I got used to it in prison.

Flour or corn? Don't say white flour :D

1/2 whole and half white. . . . you'll be surprised to know that I grind my own flour. Tonight I only had 2 cups in the freezer so I dipped into the white that I keep for the kids cookies. :001_smile:

Oustanding!

What's in the taco seasoning? 2 teaspoons of chili powder, a dash of hot sauce, and 1/4 tea of black pepper. I can't use the packaged stuff, ewww.

Sounds like a good start.

A little dark chocolate won't kill you :001_smile:

Bill (you can do this)

:D

Precisely! This is why we are a nation of over-fed (FAT) and undernourished. I think it's pretty sad. :(

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

the Sapporo- Ichiban brand is my kids' favorite.

Sapporo-Ichiban is the only brand we'll eat here in the States- and then only miso or shoyu flavors. I scratch my head at the idea of chicken or other "American" flavors.

Despite the fact that ramen was apparently introduced in the USA in 1970, I had never heard of ramen until I moved to Japan in 1989 (and I am certainly old enough to remember much of life of the early '70s). The best ramen I've ever eaten was made with homemade noodles and a homemade soup base with vegetables plus a bit of meat. It probably still had MSG as it is such a popular ingredient in Japan, but everything else was fresh.

Guest janainaz
:001_huh:

I was just noticing that your dislike for Ramen noodles is two-fold. I understand why you have more of a dislike than normal.

:D The title of this thread and all the comments just cracks me up.

But, I really hated them - for all the right reasons!! It's the food you love to hate and hate to love. Catch 22.

• 1 year later...
eh...They're not a garden salad with chickpeas and cheddar cheese shreds, but they aren't poisonous either. ;)

dd12 loves to eat them dry as a snack - she crushes the package and sprinkles on some seasoning, crunch crunch crunch. Heh, this is restricted to the kitchen or outside though, because those crushed noodle bits tend to get away and make a mess. :tongue_smilie:

They make ramen noodle snacks like this! They sell them at the Asian market. My ds was introduced to them by some Korean friends.

Ds loves ramen, and is obsessed with Japanese culture. So we made homemade ramen using the noodles, chicken broth, pork cooked in seasonings, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, and hard-boiled egg. We got the recipe from a Japanese cookbook.

Wendi

Well, we eat seafood ramen as a snack once in a while and for lunch once in a blue moon. My kids are all varied eaters and always eat salad and fruit so I doubt their palates have gone bad. They don't necessarily drink the soup plus we dilute it more. To me instant ramen is up there with macaroni and cheese in a box....although the ramen is more comforting!

Since Westbrae quit making their WW ramen, I switched to:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_grocery?ie=UTF8&search-alias=grocery&field-brandtextbin=Soken

The used to have Mountain Yam noodles, and I like the Fiery Dragon style, but my ramen days a probably over. Maybe I'll get some for hubby.

I can sometimes find a spicy baked ramen noodle at the local Korean grocery. If you cook the spicy kind normally, but then drain off the liquid and add a mild broth they are flavourful but not "hot".

BTW, additions to ramen are great. I love to get the water boiling and add some chopped napa cabbage or bok choy, first. One can also poach an egg in the simmering soup just before serving, for extra protein.

HTH

Edited by kalanamak

How about just boiling some whole grain pasta and dressing it with olive oil, salt and pepper or grating on some cheese? We have instant noodles once every couple of months - I don't want to make them forbidden fruit, but they really don't have much nutritional value.

Laura