Menu

s/o Duggar family

Look, I am just going say this and hope I am not executed on the spot..

..I can't stand Jim-Bob. I think he is as dumb as a post. The son is a simpleton as well AND his new wife.

I do appreciate that the Duggars are living a counter-culture lifestyle. Inside every conservative is a rebel.

Michelle is clearly the brains in that couple and Jim Bob, to his credit, knows he married up.

The fascinating thing is that the Duggar kids (except the eldest son) are not automatons despite the digs from the cousin (the token modern young person). Fascinating because other large, conservative families that I have seen on the show are.

Side note, I consider myself a very conservative Christian but I have nothing in common with them. Not even close. Maybe I am really a liberal? :confused:

"Dumb as a post"? The man has 18 children to support and he has single handedly lead his family to live debt-free and build a huge home that he paid for in cash! This man is NOT dumb! I dont know many husbands that have this kind of ambition and business smarts.

I'm not sure he did it single handedly. I have a feelig TLC had a lot to do with it. There's no way that family would let a bunch of cameramen/women in to invade their privacy without something in return.

"Dumb as a post"? The man has 18 children to support and he has single handedly lead his family to live debt-free and build a huge home that he paid for in cash! This man is NOT dumb! I dont know many husbands that have this kind of ambition and business smarts.

I'm not sure he did it single handedly. I have a feelig TLC had a lot to do with it. There's no way that family would let a bunch of cameramen/women in to invade their privacy without something in return.

Although I rarely post anymore, I just had to reply.

I just finished reading thier book, and yes they did it all by themselves.

Jim Bob may come off as whatever you said, but he is a smart buisness man and made a lot of wise investments. He bought his first house at age 19 to prove he could provide for Michelle. They spent a lot of years living in really small houses and running several buisnesses at once. They only had one mortgage, their first.

TLC did help with the finishing of the house, but that was a gift and I think that they didn't want to wait for them to finish the house. Production crews are expensive to keep on hold indefinately to finish a show.

You may not like JIm Bob, but I don't think that dumb would be an accuate description.

I agree, but that doesn't describe Jim-Bob.

It's because he's very aware of the world around him that he and Michelle have chosen the path they have.

(Whether or not other people agree with that path is a whole other story.)

And people don't support 18 kids debt-free while while buying and selling businesses/ real estate by being oblivious of the world around them, right?

It wasn't I who said he was dumb or whatever; I simply said I don't believe he didn't have any help from TLC. You said the book said they did it all alone. That's really cool! I admire that.

Although I rarely post anymore, I just had to reply.

I just finished reading thier book, and yes they did it all by themselves.

Jim Bob may come off as whatever you said, but he is a smart buisness man and made a lot of wise investments. He bought his first house at age 19 to prove he could provide for Michelle. They spent a lot of years living in really small houses and running several buisnesses at once. They only had one mortgage, their first.

TLC did help with the finishing of the house, but that was a gift and I think that they didn't want to wait for them to finish the house. Production crews are expensive to keep on hold indefinately to finish a show.

You may not like JIm Bob, but I don't think that dumb would be an accuate description.

I didn't know this. I'm still sure they make a bunch off of TLC, but the fact that they did all they did is very impressive. Maybe I'll have to start looking at them a little differently.

Have you read his book?

They started humbly, and through some wise investments got to where they are today.

Maybe his personality doesn't appeal to you, but he really can't be described as dumb.

The book is awesome! They do not make money off of their show. They say they do it to share the gospel. I personally love that show! I have much respect for them.

They lived in situations and homes many of you would never dare to live. What is it dave ramsey says? Live like no one else so you can live like no one else. Well, they did that.

Dumb is the furthest thing to describe him. He comes off to be not intelligent, i'll give you that, but they are incredibly wise and smart with their business and money decisions. They own property-commercial property! That rakes in some big bucks.

Just an example of their dumbness; He bought land for $65k, then rented it out for 1-2 years at $1200 a month, then sold it to the renters for $250,000k. Dumb? I think he made 4 times his money. His land was bought using cash, no debt! Can you do that?

It's funny, I feel no need to watch them make a spectacle of themselves, but I know so much about them, from this board.

If they weren't in the public eye, by their own choice, then I would take umbrage with people making rash judgements of their characters/wealth/life choices/etc. As it is, they put themselves out there for that.

I have very little respect for people who choose to use their kids to get their own publicity, frankly don't see the Duggers as much more repect inducing than Mama Spears, Mama Lohan, or the Osbornes.

He does have that hay-seed, country-boy air about him, but I don't think he's dumb. He was providing for that family long before the TLC show. I think they got their first public attention when Michelle was mother of the year in Arkansas, back at only 14 dc.

The Duggars were at the CHEF conference in St. Louis area last year and I saw several of the children here and there throughout the day (I only went for the vendor hall on one day) and they were just regular kids. Not angels, not monsters. Just regular kids. One daughter was in their booth with the two youngest while they napped, and I saw several of the boys walking around.

Anyway, they seem like very sincere people and I get the vibe that they're intention is sharing the gospel.

I have not seen any of the shows, nor have I met them yet. What I do know comes from watching them on YouTube and their website.

Their family loves the Lord and wants to share their way of life with the rest of the world. It is their ministry.

They want the world to know that there is hope. Their hope is in Christ alone. That there are teenagers out there who respect their parents and love God.

Jim-Bob cannot possibly be dumb. He is a real estate investor. Their house is beautiful because real estate is his business. They are debt-free because they were careful with their money and resources and invested wisely.

The debt free thing isn't an indicator of smarts. They got there by being thrifty, cheap, and disciplined.

I didn't say I didn't like the Duggars, I just don't like Jim Bob and his son. OTH, every once in awhile when my kids get on my last nerve, I channel Michelle so that I don't kill them.

That's a really good idea. I may try that! LOL

FWIW, I don't much care for the oldest son, but overall, I think they're a neat family.

The debt free thing isn't an indicator of smarts. They got there by being thrifty, cheap, and disciplined.

I didn't say I didn't like the Duggars, I just don't like Jim Bob and his son. OTH, every once in awhile when my kids get on my last nerve, I channel Michelle so that I don't kill them.

I didn't say that being debt free indicates "smarts"; just that I admired it. :D

Honestly, I find the decisions they've made theologically to not be smart decisions. But, then, I'm a smart person who has made dumb decisions. ;)

I didn't say that being debt free indicates "smarts"; just that I admired it. :D

Honestly, I find the decisions they've made theologically to not be smart decisions. But, then, I'm a smart person who has made dumb decisions. ;)

I wasn't quoting you directly. Several posters disagreed with Jim Bob being dumb because the Duggar family is living debt-free. I was just disagreeing with that notion.

I can't imagine having a meaningful conversation with Jim Bob but I could with Michelle or her daughters.

Am I the only one that doesn't watch?

LOL. I have no clue who this family really is. I hear a lot "about" them on forums and such but really don't know them at all. I've never seen them on tv since we don't have one.

I prefer to think well of them as I have no reason not to.

..I can't stand Jim-Bob. I think he is as dumb as a post.

I do appreciate that the Duggars are living a counter-culture lifestyle. Inside every conservative is a rebel.

Michelle is clearly the brains in that couple and Jim Bob, to his credit, knows he married up.

Your orginal post stated that Jim Bob was as dumb as a post. I didn't say that being debt free was an indication of smarts. I stated that he is a very astute buisness man and have made very wise choices in real estate.

I don't know what dumb as a post means to you, and what you define as intelligent conversation..the first seems to indicate that he has no mental capacity which I find to be quite a leap.

The second is quite subjective, and you may very well be correct. You might find nothing to discuss with this man irl.

I guess I just find these kind of remarks distasteful. How can anyone discern so much from the little pieces that we get from a tv show? These are real people and they are more than the sum of a few hours of edited videotape. I guess because my dh is in production, I have a different view of what I see on tv and what I think of the people portrayed by it.

I hope you don't feel attacked, I just wanted to clarify where I am coming from and some of the facts that I have learned about this family.

Your opinion is yours and maybe we'll have to agree to disagree on some things.

What bothers me about Jim-Bob is not whether or not he is "dumb as a post" (I don't think he is,) but his condescending attitude about women and his sense of superiority. The comments he has made about Michelle (her having "boyfriends' before they met and her early housekeeping skills) were so condescending. And his "women are emotional" comment - it not the comment, but the tone - like talking about a child. While Michelle always appears humble and accepting of her rough start as a parent, but subsequent growth into the job, Jim-Bob never seems to admit to any faults or failings.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes here but I don't think he's very dumb at all. I am of the opinion and understanding that not anyone can know how to turn a buck like he does. Plus he does, from what I've seen, present himself well. Someone had mentioned that they got to where they are from being cheap. Is that bad? He does provide his family with the what they need. Its not like he's depriving them of that. He is idealistic but I don't think thats bad. I think too many people have adopted the idea that a difunctional family has become the norm. I do agree that society has lowered their standards and that when we see someone who refuses to and works hard with their spouse to not lower their standards we think their must be something wrong there. I don't think there is anything wrong there and kudos for them for doing things their way. It takes discipline to not submit to social pressures.

:001_huh::001_huh::001_huh:

Isn't it funny how two people can watch the same thing and come up with two totally different conclusions?

I watched the segment you're describing and did not think he was at all condescending or superior acting.

Oh well...

Interesting take for a Christian. As a sister in Christ, I much admire him and his family, and generally think people with chips on their shoulders about him (or them) are suffering from a bad case of envy. jmo of course.

Trust me; I"m not a fan for several reasons, but envious? Ummmm......that's about the last thing I am!

Astrid

What bothers me about Jim-Bob is not whether or not he is "dumb as a post" (I don't think he is,) but his condescending attitude about women and his sense of superiority. The comments he has made about Michelle (her having "boyfriends' before they met and her early housekeeping skills) were so condescending. And his "women are emotional" comment - it not the comment, but the tone - like talking about a child. While Michelle always appears humble and accepting of her rough start as a parent, but subsequent growth into the job, Jim-Bob never seems to admit to any faults or failings.

At the church dh and I attended when we met, there were a number of people very into Bill Gothard's teachings. My dh went to one of their seminars once, and had the manual on our bookshelves. But he was never "into" it. One day, shortly after we married, I found the book on the shelf and thumbed through it. I remember a section that talked about being very careful what kind of books you keep in the house, because your wife and children might find them and read them!! Um, I was being put in the same category as a child, lacking discernment and needing to be protected from inappropriate reading material. :glare: I didn't like that too much. Dh and I joked about it sometimes: Don't leave that book lying around; your wife or child might read it!! :lol:

Wendi

LOL. I have no clue who this family really is. I hear a lot "about" them on forums and such but really don't know them at all. I've never seen them on tv since we don't have one.

I prefer to think well of them as I have no reason not to.

See, when I hear about someone selling their family/privacy to television, I think just the opposite ;)

I don't watch the show. I detest most reality television.

:iagree:

I don't know. If a family willingly participates in producing a television show about their lives, I guess they have to expect commentary.

I haven't watched a single episode in its entirety. I have watched only bits and pieces. I don't really have much of an opinion about anyone in the family. It's kinda fun to talk about though. LOL :D

In terms of intelligence, I think there are different types if intelligence. Maybe the dad is a great business guy, but lousy in other departments. I know I'm pretty lousy in the business department.

Well, LOL, in an effort to be generous, there are many kinds of wisdom that human beings may possess.

Obviously this family has decided to open up their lives to the scrutiny of others for a number of reasons. I'm assuming they receive some remuneration for this and that it helps in the support of the family, along with the many other concerns in which they're involved.

They seem to be raising a loving, tightly knit family (more and more an anamoly in today's society). The children seem to be well cared for, clean, well dressed and the home also seems to be clean. The meals seem healthful. The family members seem happy. I think many of us, like ME, do much worse with far, far fewer children. I wish I possessed an ounce of the grace and kindness of any one of these folks. Alack, I fail....

Their lifestyle is not something that I'd be eager to embrace. Their religious views are not mine. That said, I think they offer something of value in a world that is losing any semblance of family values....

the oldest son is such a, "simpleton," either. He already owns his own business and is starting his marriage debt free and with plans to work hard and be a sole wage-earner for his family. I admire that.

There are way too many young men out there who don't even dream of ever supporting their wives and children - they automatically assume their wives will work and consider it ridiculous to think otherwise (and I know MANY with this mentality).

These are hard-working young men. They do a lot of physical labor. The various types of work they did helping build that house was amazing, and, up until the last few months, they did ALL of the work (they meaning the family).

I commend them for raising men who will rise to the challenges of being men.