Menu

no dog family, will we regret getting a dog?

Help me, we are trying to think this out...

we don't have a dog, and we are pretty happy...we have 4 hens and a cat. I like the little mess, little complications, the cat is low upkeep.

But, the kids want a dog, and we have felt a small bit of guilt that they aren't experiencing the joy of having a dog. We almost took in a rescue dog a neighbor had, it was very well behaved. We didn't and I felt a little bad, the kids loved walking him.

fast forward a few months, I am having nightmares where I think someone is standing next to my bed and I wake up screaming, or panicking, or yesterday I woke up and scrambled ontop of dh for safety and woke him up. I joked that morning that he needed to get me an alarm system for the house or a dog, and he said- a dog.

So, my big fear is we will get a dog, and it will turn into a real problem and we will regret it.

I do know that the right kind of dog can be a real joy to have, but does that ever work out beyond sheer luck?

How do you pick a well-behaved dog? Do you go for a certain breed? Does it matter if it is a puppy or not for training? I would feel good about taking a dog from a rescue place..but how does that work out for training if it is not a puppy? Dh wants to look into a training school, he does not want a dog jumping on people.

So, we are discussing breeds, my kids are very enthusiastically looking up breeds...I kind of wish we hadn't mentioned it to them...

I am thinking about asking after the rescue dog our neighbor had, it found a home but is not working out because of another dog already there...I'm wondering if we could rent him for a week and see how we fit. Would that be an insensitive thing to want to do...a try-out?

Are there any dogs that won't chase the hens? We are discussing putting up a fence for them, but I love to see them roaming the backyard.

o.k. for what we don't want...

dh doesn't want a yapping dog. Or a small dog that would make you think 'yapping'. I wanted a Great Dane because of my fear...but dh doesn't want to go broke feeding it, so a really big dog is out. We love golden labs, I had one as a kid, but don't want a lot of shedding. I had a pit bull as a kid too, but don't want the liability and it passed gas too much. So, don't want a breed that passes gas alot...I don't like Dobermans, some experience..and they pass gas, German shephard, too much hair and the hip displacia thing.

I met a standard poodle, the big kind, and was very impressed..hubby will take some convincing..

any suggestions? Should we just leave our lives alone and get a security system?

I walk everyday, and the kids would love to walk a dog, they walk the neighbor's several times a week for fun. It would get a lot of attention.

Growing up, my family had several dogs, but 2 stand out as wonderful additions to the family, and both were strays that just showed up...I know other people where the dogs just seem like a complication and destroy the yard, house and are not much fun to be around. Wondering if it is just a luck thing, or can you plan and train your way into a pet that is a joyful part of the family?

thoughts? Advice?:001_huh:

a "trying out" period is a good idea. We got a puppy last January and tried to bring in an adult dog in September. Through odd circumstances (the person trying to find him a new home had to go out of town to help with an emergency situation with her parents) we were able to "borrow" him for the weekend.

It turned out that he was a bad fit for our family, especially our "original" dog. But it was great to have a trial period.

My philosophy on lots of things is that it never hurts to ask--the worst they can say is "no." So, if the dog you liked previously is not working out in the new home, why not ask if you can try him out?

Also, we like the book Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons. Lots of advice in there in choosing the right dog (puppy or adult) and bringing it home as well as training it to be a part of the family...

I grew up just fine without a dog! That said, I don't think I'll ever be dog-less (or cat-less) again.

I would really recommend reading books on dog training. There are tons of good ones out there. Good training takes a good deal of effort. If you think you can take on the training aspects and your kids will continue to happily walk and care for a dog, I'd say go for it.

If you don't think you can stick to a good training program and/or the novelty will wear off for the kids... not so much.

P.S. One of the big reasons we got our dogs was as a burglar deterrent. But our cars were robbed. :glare:

They do make a hideous amount of noise when strangers are welcomed into our house though, so I'm guessing we're pretty safe *inside!

I don't know, it sounds like you might be happier with an alarm system:001_smile:

No dog is perfect and you can't expect it not to make mistakes, especiallly in the first few months.

I would *not* get a puppy. I would get a rescue dog from the shelter. As for breeds, I would do my research and rule out breeds you do not want. a good source is dogbreedinfo.com. Take your time choosing.

When you are ready to search, use petfinder.com to view 100's of dogs in your area. Scroll past the breeds you've ruled out.

Go to the shelters and visit the dogs you've seen on petfinder. There will probably be other ones there, too, that didn't make it to the computer yet. Take a lot of time visiting with the dog, taking it out on the leash at the shelter, petting it, talking to it. Come back a few times. and visit again. Don't buy on impulse.

When you bring the dog home, Crate Train the dog! Read up on crate training so you know what to expect. Get your dog into positive reinforcement obedience classes as soon as you can. (I like clicker training, but that isn't for everyone.)

Be patient and consistent with rules. Establish yourselves, including the children, as the "leaders of the pack". This helps the dog understand his place an gives him a sense of security.

I really like a book called Ruff Love (the sell it on Amazon marketplace). It seems harsh at first, but this method has done a lot of good with my last rescue, who was totally untrained, unhousebroken and hyper as all get out. She is coming along nicely and I adore her.

If you use Ruff Love, do so in love, with patience and consistency. It is a no-nonsense approach to bringing an untrained, possibly unmanageable dog into your house and helping him become a respectable member of the family. But it takes a lot of effort and isn't for everyone.

Even if you don't use Ruff Love, still set boundaries and rules and make sure the dog understands them. Reward lavishly for the proper behavior.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm not sure if you're really open to getting a dog, though (said with total understanding and kindness). It's a lot of hard work and the work always goes to Mom. After the novelty wears off, the kids go back to playing and it becomes Mom's dog. Even getting my dh to help with the dogs can be tough sometimes.:001_smile:

Only get a dog if you, the Mom of the house, really want one for yourself.

I grew up just fine without a dog! That said, I don't think I'll ever be dog-less (or cat-less) again.

I would really recommend reading books on dog training. There are tons of good ones out there. Good training takes a good deal of effort. If you think you can take on the training aspects and your kids will continue to happily walk and care for a dog, I'd say go for it.

If you don't think you can stick to a good training program and/or the novelty will wear off for the kids... not so much.

P.S. One of the big reasons we got our dogs was as a burglar deterrent. But our cars were robbed. :glare:

They do make a hideous amount of noise when strangers are welcomed into our house though, so I'm guessing we're pretty safe *inside!

Carries, I don't think the novelty will wear off for the kids- at least for the older ones, I do think you are right about training taking a lot of effort.

sorry about the car!!:tongue_smilie:

Shelly,

good point bout the fence...a reason I am hesitant to ask about the rescue dog we are interested in, we don't have a fence yet.

CactusPair,

thank you for all the good advice, I did not know about Petfinder. I agree with your last comment:

"That's all I can think of for now. I'm not sure if you're really open to getting a dog, though (said with total understanding and kindness). It's a lot of hard work and the work always goes to Mom. After the novelty wears off, the kids go back to playing and it becomes Mom's dog. Even getting my dh to help with the dogs can be tough sometimes.

Only get a dog if you, the Mom of the house, really want one for yourself."

Cadam,

yes- what you said!

"Here is my thing. I don't like poo,and fleas, and drool and dog hair, and dog smell, barking in the backyard and having to find someone to take care of it when we go out of town or having to walk it in a downpour. No matter whose dog it technically is, I end up at the vet with it and cleaning up when the dear canine gets sick and generally dealing with all of the gross stuff. Dog snot is really vile. Ask me how I know.

I like the idea of a dog. The Summertime playmate in the backyard, someone always there to great you when you get home and a warm comfort to snuggle up with.

It is the reality of a dog that I don't like."

I love the idea of a dog being a part of the family..but a well-behaved dog...I don't want to get one that is a downer to have. I agree, it will be mom that does most of the stuff..

I want one, if it would be a wonderful addition, but I don't want to make a big mistake, either.

I love my dog and I loved the dog before him. They bring a joy in my life that is hard to find elsewhere. They get me out in the woods. They get me to run and play, they make me laugh. I love the protection of a dog, I like the companionship, I like the cross species communication. I have my dog in perspective. He's not a person. I don't love him like I love my children. I'm horrified by people who say things like, "I know how you love your twins. I had two cats." Yeah, right.

But dogs are work. Like kids, the more you put into training, they easier they are to live with, by and large.

I'm going to suggest that larger dogs are not always that much more expensive than smaller dogs. My sister's 95 pound Pyrennes eats about what my 55 pound Belgian eats - less even.

My mother has a 20 pound poddle mix. I hate dogs like hers that have curly, wirey hair because the dirt just seems to CLING. I definitely recommend a breed that has silkier hair - fine hair. My dog just gets his feet rinsed now and then and stays pretty clean. He plays outside all the time, but when he comes in, I say, "Let me see your feet" and he rolls over and sticks his paws up for cleaning. I trained my first dog to do this as well, and I *highly* recommend it. The nice thing about dogs that are slightly taller is that their undersides don't get dirty outside. It's just the paws. He does shed, though. I vacuum pretty much everyday.

I do recommend research and training. Train the dog to be easy for you to live with. I make my dogs stay off the furniture and my first dog was trained to lie down when we are eating. I've spoiled my current dog and need to work on that with him. But I can't tolerate a dog who is in my face when I am eating or who thinks he can get on furniture. Yuck.

Most importantly, be honest. If you really aren't going to take a dog for long walks, don't get a dog. Any dog. I can't think of a single breed that doesn't need walks. Even apart from exercise, the same yard all the time is boring.

If you're in doubt about a dog you shouldn't get one. Buying a dog isn't like buying a security system. I'm sure lots of folks could tell you about big scary looking dogs that would let anyone walk right in.

I had a security dog trained once, not cheap. Even more expensive to buy one already trained.

If you're in doubt about a dog you shouldn't get one. Buying a dog isn't like buying a security system.

I agree completely. Dogs can be a lot of work. They can have issues...lots and lots of issues. They can have very expensive medical crises (ie, oxygen for a pup... $2000...don't ask). They will most certainly do stuff in the house that you don't like, be it eat something (a table leg, shoe, toy), vomit, have diarrhea, etc. They can get away. They can hide.

Unless you are a dog-lover, and unless these things don't cause you to break out in a sweat, don't get a dog. Dogs are not something you get, only to give up if they don't work out. That's not fair to your kids, or to the dog.

Ria

If you find yourself ready for it, there's a lot of breed info at the akc.orgpages and you don't have to get a purebred but it's good to know about breed traits. They include links to breed rescue sites which often included mixed breed dogs (I like mixed). Then you could also check into fostering some of the rescues of certain breed you might be interested in. You could explain your situation very clearly and rescue folks are usually great about discussing the realities of any particular dog with you.

(I like English Springer Spaniels, always have. my ESS mutt is SUCH a good kid-dog: http://www.essfta.org/essfta/rescue.htm)

Edited by Jill

The OP mentioned she wants a dog for security reasons. I'm with her on that. Talk of crate training, which sounds/seems wonderful except will a dog in a crate still offer security? Is the crate where the dog sleeps at night? I've been wondering about this.

To us, crate training meant using the crate to help the dog become acclimated and housebroken. Once those were accomplished, the crate was removed.

Ria

Our Golden is crate trained (came that way--at 7 months). He will "go kennel" whenever we say, no matter what--it's really something. We don't close him in unless he's wet from a bath or from the rain (and has been toweled, of course!) or unless he's wearing Eau de Deer Sh*t. We tell him to go there at dinner time (we actually just call everyone to dinner and he automatically goes there), too.

Dogs are so great, but they are very real animals with lots of faults and just plain "dogness" that is so different from the other animals you own. It is all in the temperament and training. You have to be consistent, you have to be the boss, and your dog just needs to know he's last, absolutely last, on the totem pole in your house. Good trainers tell you how to do this--they train you as much as the dog.

I'd examine your feelings of discomfort at being inconvenienced with the day-to-day doggy stuff, very carefully before committing.

Just a few things-

If you decide to get a dog, I would avoid the training school. I really think the family needs to do it themselves. Any training that is done by someone else has to be reinforced constantly and long term, or it will be lost. You may as well read a couple good books and learn how to do the training yourself. You will be glad in the long run. I like Brian Kilcommons' book Good Owners, Great Dogs.

For a first time dog owning family, I would be cautious of a shelter dog. Some turn out to be great pets, but many others are there for behavior problems and can be very difficult. Petfinders is a good resource, as you can narrow it down by breed. I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but there are numerous dog breed selectors that can help you find the right breed for your family. Here's a good one.

The chickens scare the pants (fur?) off the dog. No worries there.

We fostered her for two months or so until we decided, and we're so glad we have her! She's added a lot to our family—more than we ever imagined she would. (We, too, were quite content without a dog.)

What tipped us over the edge was listening to a woman whose grown son had kind of wandered away from the family and had a rough relationship with his folks. I asked her what she would have done differently, and she said, almost without hesitation, "I would have let him get that dog he wanted."

Probably totally irrational on my part, but I took it to heart and our pooch has been great. :001_smile:

What tipped us over the edge was listening to a woman whose grown son had kind of wandered away from the family and had a rough relationship with his folks. I asked her what she would have done differently, and she said, almost without hesitation, "I would have let him get that dog he wanted."

That is so touching. I will say that my ds17, who cannot live with us right now because of being in treatment, misses our dog terribly. Our sweet dog was absolutely beside himself when ds came home for a visit--the dog stood there politely for a moment, then seemed to realize that this boy was from his pack, and the reunion was very sweet. Seeing that moment again, hopefully in the near future, will probably bring me to tears again.

Dogs ARE wonderful beings.

Dogs are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I cannot imagine my life without dogs & the years we couldn't have one because of condo rules were only tolerable because my parents had gsd's which we got to housesit a fair bit as my parents travelled a lot.

That said, I tend to discourage people who are at all ambivalent because in rescue you see the 'other side' - the dogs who became too much work/we just don't have time/he deserves a better home/we're too busy/we just can't be bothered to clean, train, vacuum, pay for vet bills...... and end up abandoned in shelters or rescues.

I would think long and hard, consider doing dog sitting, or foster dogs for a rescue/shelter. Go see Marley and Me. Think about the realities of dogs chewing, breaking, having diarrhea, barking, nipping. It's not always funny. Even the best behaved dogs misbehave occasionally, or have an upset tummy just at the wrong time, or slip off the stairs and require 1000's of $ of surgery.

Then there's the dark side of becoming 'addicted' to training, joining clubs, spending all Saturday out with a tracking class, scheduling daily training sessions & making your kids wait for their lessons because your dog is just about getting some skill you've been working on for weeks :D

I wouldn't do it just for the 'guarding'. That would be kind of like having ongoing home repair problems and deciding to get a husband. Yeah, you might get one who can fix those problems but he's gonna be a whole lot more than just a handyman!

Over 4 MILLION dogs are killed each year in shelters. Let's just consider that a bit. It's a tragedy.

Often because people did not take the time to care for them, to raise them properly, to socialize them heavily, to train, to make a real commitment for 10-14 years.

If you do decide to get a dog, I strongly do recommend a shelter or a rescue. There are tons of dogs that are perfectly fine & WILL do fine with novice owners. Good shelters & certainly most rescues can match you up with a dog that will fit into your life. I see a fair # of problem dogs but we also see what we call "easy keepers" which would definitely fit into a novice home. You need to have your eyes open, don't be swayed by just the looks, have some criteria but also develop a relationship with the staff & have them help you pick your dog.

You can also hire trainers who will do just that - for a small fee they will assess a dog for you and help you get a well matched dog. Some trainers will apply part of that fee towards the first training class, esp if you're picking from a shelter or rescue (you can hire them also to do a puppy temperament assessment if you're going the breeder route; the really bold one who comes running to you so friendly might be a very dominant smart alec dog which turns into a real handful when an adolescent)

Good luck with your decision.

My sibs and I never had animals growing up and I always felt the loss, and knew I wanted at least a kitty when I grew up. lol

Fast forward to adulthood and I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 rabbit and 30 + chickens.

Dogs take much more care than cats, and they are not easy to leave. They are a pita in that way, no doubt about it.

I can't imagine my life without animals.

Or kids, for that matter. lol

But plenty of people can, and that's fine as well.

I wouldn't get any animal thinking kids could care for them without my great assistance, however. An animal is an adult repsonsibility, nearly as much as a child is. Kids are good for feeding a cat, or running a dog around the yard and tiring them out etc, but the rest (which is great) is up to the adult(s) in the home.

Edited by LibraryLover

That said, I tend to discourage people who are at all ambivalent because in rescue you see the 'other side' - the dogs who became too much work/we just don't have time/he deserves a better home/we're too busy/we just can't be bothered to clean, train, vacuum, pay for vet bills...... and end up abandoned in shelters or rescues.

I agree. I'm no dog expert by any stretch, but the dog we have now is only 17 months old and was taken to the shelter twice before we adopted her. The first family didn't have time for her and the second family, who only kept her 5 days, said she didn't play with her kids. Yeah, whatever. This dog has been wonderful--she's affectionate, playful, and bonded with us immediately.

So, do be 100% committed to the dog and don't use taking it back as a threat to the kids to keep them on top of feeding or walking. Dogs get stressed and traumatized and they need the same stability a toddler needs.

I cannot imagine anyone regretting having a dog. I know people do, or else there wouldn't be rescues. But I can't imagine.

<<I do know that the right kind of dog can be a real joy to have, but does that ever work out beyond sheer luck? >>

Your typical, kid-gentle pet dog will not double as a guard dog. I know there are exceptions. But most dogs are either gentle or aggressive. Most good pets are gentle, and most good guard dogs are aggressive.

Go to the library and bring home an armload of books on selecting dogs, caring for dogs, training dogs. You can find them at reading levels appropriate for everyone in the family. Everyone should read a book or two.

<<I would feel good about taking a dog from a rescue place..but how does that work out for training if it is not a puppy? Dh wants to look into a training school, he does not want a dog jumping on people.>>

I think most rescue places do a good job of screening families. A lot of dogs available for rescue have been screwed up (neglected, abused, starved, etc.) Just be sure the rescue knows that you are dog-beginners so they'll help you find a dog with few issues.

Taking the dog to a training class is a fine idea. (I would not SEND the dog to a training school.) You'll probably need to pick one family member to be the main dog trainer and participate in the class. But everyone can participate at home.

<<Are there any dogs that won't chase the hens? >>

This is a training issue. A few dogs will be incorrigible. I think most can learn. A fence would be a good idea. :) Our neighbors have chickens and dogs co-existing peacefully.

<<dh doesn't want a yapping dog.>>

Training issue.

<<and it passed gas too much.>>

Feeding issue.

<<I met a standard poodle, the big kind, and was very impressed..>>

This is an excellent breed. But the coat is high maintenance. You'll have to budget for grooming. What about a miniature (mid-size) poodle? Still the maintenance issue, but less hair.

<<Should we just leave our lives alone and get a security system?>>

Get both.

<<I walk everyday, and the kids would love to walk a dog, they walk the neighbor's several times a week for fun. It would get a lot of attention.>>

Perfect!

Let us know what you decide.

(I personally cannot imagine life without a dog. I sometimes see my own life as a chain of dogs, from my very first to the little fellow I have now. Each was special. Each had his own problems. I could not imagine life without any of them.)

Here's a link to my current little guy: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=115774&l=063fa&id=1484919377

I was always a non dog lover....until 6 years ago when we adopted Buddy...and now we have 3! I cannot imagine not have a dog in my life!

Find a no-kill shelter that have their dogs in foster homes and want their dogs back if it doesn't "work" out. You may have already done that with your neighbor. We have adopted all 3 of our dogs from the same no-kill shelter.....and we also foster for the shelter as well. The foster family can help you find the right match for your particular family needs/energy level/etc. A no-kill shelter who wants their adoptees back will make sure that you have a good match for your family. There is usually a 3-5 day sleep over period before you commit to a dog. Dogs in these shelters are usually crate-trained and have a head start on training.

We are personally fond of the mix breed. We have a 8yo retriever mix, a 2 yo shepard mix, and a 6 month old lab/pointer mix. I will admit it was easier to add a 1 yo dog into a family when compared to a 5mo pup! All are great family dogs with no health problems. We walk them daily and work on training daily....actually my middles do... It is awesome esteem booster for a kid to train a dog.

As far as training. We are fans of Cesar Milan-The Dog Whisperer. I refered a friend who was a novice dog owner who had one of those unruly dogs ( destroying the backyard, chewing up the house, etc) to Barkbusters and it change her life.....after 1 session her dog became a house dog and a full fledge member of her family! Dogs are like kids....the need discipline, exercise and love...so that does mean a time commitment. But also like kids they are so worth it!

Click on my blog and there is picture of our new pup waiting for school to be done....It's cute!

Get the rescue dog that the neighbor had.

These things have a way of working out.

But - tell everyone it's a trial JIC!

I had an awesome dog Jake. He was 3 and a half when I got him.

I was scared because it IS a huge responsibility. He was the best thing that ever happened to me! I loved him. He loved me. He was perfect in every way shape and form. I knew I wanted him for several months before adoption.

New dog- (Jake dead 2 years at that point - died of old age) - anyway....

New dog Zeus - one and half years old. Want him for 9 months. Scared when I got him because of responsibility.....should't have got him because I was poor, in school, single mom.....blah blah blah. BUT he turns out to be the second best dog in the world. In fact - he's famous. He was on TV the other day. Commercial for a boat. They zoom in on all of the boats (where we hang out in the water) and mention how over here on this island we can let our dogs run. And who should they zoom in on but my dog standing in the water with 2 little kids.

Everyone in my hometown knows my dog. Literally.

Ummmmmm...yah......get the dog.

Even when a dog is not fierce - they bark and criminals are deterred.

I wouldn't do it just for the 'guarding'. That would be kind of like having ongoing home repair problems and deciding to get a husband. Yeah, you might get one who can fix those problems but he's gonna be a whole lot more than just a handyman!

:lol:

I've read a lot about dogs and am interested in dogs. I've grown up with dogs, and had a dog before dc were born. Right now I'm waiting until dd is 2 years old at least to get a dog/puppy as I don't want to be raising two babies. I'm most likely going to go with either an English Setter or a Field Spaniel. I research a lot.

To the OP, if I were you I would steer of all the strong hunting dogs, especially bird dogs. Sighthounds are especially likely to attack prey animals such as chickens. Otherwise you could always train a dog not to harrass your chickens. Some guard breeds would even be protective if raised with chickens as a puppy.

I agree with Hornblower, a dog is best in a protective role as a barker, and a natural deterrent and uber sniffer. As I read once, you don't really want to lose a beloved pet over a struggle with a burglar who stole your TV. And most domestic dogs are not up for a confrontation with a real, determined human adversary.

Edited by sagira

I could type pages about what I believe it the right way to raise/ own a house dog. But I will give you just a few bits of advice.

1. Read FIRST. If you have never owned a dog - GREAT! You are starting with a clean slate. Get "Good Owners, Great Dogs", by Brian Kilcommons. It's a older, but great book. You could probably find it online or at a used book store very cheaply. If you raise/ train a dog with the suggestions in that book - you can't go wrong. There are many other good dog/ puppy raising/ training books. But that one is for sure a good one.

2. Use a crate. You would learn that from the book. A crate is the one thing that could save your sanity when it comes to owning a dog. The dog comes to love it's crate and it is a safe place to put the dog when you just HAVE to have it out of the way - even when it is an adult. All our dogs ALWAYS have thier own crate. They may not use it much once grown and trained - but it is there just in case. Most of our dogs often chose to sleep in thier crate on thier own.

3. A dog is not a human. A dog should not be babied and spoiled. See the book for why and how.

4. Long haired dogs are less messy then short haired dogs! Most people don't realize that short hair sticks INTO apolstry and clothing fabric! You can not get it out. I used to have to pick my mastiff's hair out of the couch with a tweezers! It is MUCH easier to clean up Golden Retriever hair then lab hair.

5. There are certain breeds a beginner should just stay away from. To start - Any guard breed, dobes, rotts, pit bulls, chows, Akitas, and many terrier breeds - terriers are VERY tenacious and stubborn and can easily frustrate a non dog type person. ALL these dogs are wonderful for some people, but I think the best type of dog for newbies is definately a lab or a golden. ( there is no such thing as a golden lab. It is either a yellow lab or a golden retriever.) Standard poodles are awesome! A beagle is great, but can be a barker. Rough collies are great. Border Collies are NOT for the beginner. Any mastiff breed is usually a fantastic family dog but they of course come with the added feed bill. ( however, the person that said they don't eat as much as you might think is correct. They expend less energy in general and have slower metabolisms ) I could go on and on - sorry.

6. Training class is a must. The dog must be socialized with other people and other dogs as well as get a basic education. All that can be accomplished at class - once a week for 8 - 12 weeks. It's not an option in my opinion.

7. Dogs will make your children happy no doubt! There is just nothing like a kid and his/ her dog! And with the right attitude and the right knowledge, you will love it too! I say - Get a dog! But do it right.

Sorry so long - my fingers got away from me.

The chickens scare the pants (fur?) off the dog. No worries there.

We also have a female mastiff and several chickens. The chickens and turkeys come out of the coop and she just sits there watching them scratch around her. Some have even walked over her back. She does not care.

This mastiff came to us when she was approx. 1 year old.

IMHO, it's important not to get a breed that is known for hunting. If you mainly want a dog for security reasons, a large but lazy ;) breed may be the right fit.

Check out some dog breed books from the library. They often describe the general temperament of the dog.

Standard poodle is the one you mentioned - I think? That may work well since I don't think poodles are known for their hunting expertise and they supposedly don't shed!

Search online for beagle info. They are not huge shedders, most diseases have been bred out of them. They are great family dogs and yet ours is a good guard dog - he bays whenever someone is near our house who shouldn't be. He seems to have learned who "belongs" - neighbors who walk by regularly and friends and who does it. He is so friendly, loves kids, loves everybody. The first few months were time consuming for me - training him & taking him outside regularly, but after that he hasn't been hard to take care of. He loves to go on walks, or go anywhere for that matter. Though beagles have a reputation for being stubborn, I have not found that to be true. He learns quickly too - my son taught him to "high 5" in one day. I taught him to ring a bell hanging on the front doorknob to ask to go outside in one day. However, it has been difficult to teach him to behave on a leash - he pulls on the leash a lot and won't "heel". I don't know what I did wrong. The one downside to beagles is that they are notorious for taking off. They are hound dogs, so if they get a whiff of a good scent trail they are off and pay not mind on anything around them. They are hyper-focused on the scent. For this reason, they need a fence or a leash. You can't usually let them roam free. We put ours out on a teather for some outdoor time.

Our beagle loves to be with us, and since we are home a lot, that works out great. He loves to play and eat and be walked and he loves to snuggle on the couch with us. He sleeps with our son at night. Our son is an only child and appreciates the company. We feel he's a little safer also, because the dog would be sure to sound the alarm if something was amiss. In fact, he alerted us to a car break-in a couple of years ago in the middle of the night. We thought he had to go potty and took him out, but he acted peculiar. We never did get what he was trying to tell us until the next morning when we found the car door open, the glovebox contents spilled on the floor and a screwdriver on the driver's seat - as if they were going to hot wire the car.

The hardest thing for us is finding someone to take care of him when we go on vacation.

We actually got our beagle from a local cat rescue. We weren't looking for a particular breed, but once we found him and did a little research on beagles we decided he was the dog for us! We've never regretted it. He's the most lovable dog I've known!

I don't know about the hens, you'd have to ask someone about that. I'm thinking, if the dog is used to them from puppy-hood, he'd leave them alone. Our beagle likes to bark at and chase cats, but he hasn't been around them much. If they were raised together I'm sure he'd be used to them.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Sherri in MI

I didn't read any other replies - this might be complete repeat.

I can't even be funny about this.

We bought our children a dog, a little *hit-zu which made me crazier than anything I could ever imagine. That dog pushed my mental health to the very brink of insanity.

Finally, after 8 months of dog h*ll, we sat the kids down, told them we were adopting the dog out to another family we knew, and to soften the blow, we bought them a Wii system.

It is what it is.

I hated that dog.

That's all.

We bought our children a dog, a little *hit-zu which made me crazier than anything I could ever imagine. That dog pushed my mental health to the very brink of insanity.

Finally, after 8 months of dog h*ll, we sat the kids down, told them we were adopting the dog out to another family we knew, and to soften the blow, we bought them a Wii system.

It is what it is.

I hated that dog.

That's all.

Bless your heart! I can only imagine how awful it must have been! Good for you for finding a new home for the dog and moving on. Hope your kids enjoy the Wii.

Ria (I also had one that drove me crazy...she had to be put down because she suddenly started biting the kids...after she launched herself at my son's face that was the end...I didn't realize how hard it was to have her until she was gone...)

I did some research and we finally got a labradoodle about two months ago. She's two years old and, although she was very nervous at the beginning, she's warming up to us nicely. She's extremely sweet and easy.

I'd never had a dog before, and husband had never had an indoor dog, but we all love her. The only thing I don't appreciate is having to get up at weekends to let her out....

Laura

We picked a Lab - and researched breeders until we found a good one with puppies available AND full info on the parents/grandparents etc. We crated trained from the first day, taught basic commands....and my kids let the puppy on the sofa. 90 lb dog now thinks he is a lap dog and lives on the sofa. Well, he IS warm and we all fight over who gets Captain on these cold winter days! ;)

He does not drool. We brush him to control the shedding. He gets 1.5 cups of dry Iams for large dogs each day. We did get pet insurance - good thing, as on a walk with hubby our leashed dog was attacked by a pit bull! It is an investment in time (daily walks/attention) and money (food, shots, pet setter or a kennel if you travel etc.) but well worth it. If you have a neighbor with a dog swap keys and phone numbers so you can call and let each others dogs out when you can not get home in a timely manner at times.

Make sure YOU want a dog and are willing to do the work before you get one, though. No matter how excited hubby and kids may be now - eventually YOU will be doing the brunt of the dog-care (ask me how I know this!) and go through a breeder so you know what you are getting.

I agree. I'm no dog expert by any stretch, but the dog we have now is only 17 months old and was taken to the shelter twice before we adopted her. The first family didn't have time for her and the second family, who only kept her 5 days, said she didn't play with her kids. Yeah, whatever. This dog has been wonderful--she's affectionate, playful, and bonded with us immediately.

So, do be 100% committed to the dog and don't use taking it back as a threat to the kids to keep them on top of feeding or walking. Dogs get stressed and traumatized and they need the same stability a toddler needs.

Well said!

And they are like toddlers.

My old dawg had 2 families before me.

One guy who kept him tied to a concrete slab.

Probably only had him because he was a big mean looking dog.

And the girl who rescued him and kept him for 7 months til I came along.

He was NEVER a problem. Had him from 3 and a half til he died 9 years later.

My new dog had a breeder - then was bought by someone who returned him because he didn't realize how big Zeus would be. HELLO - he's an Alaskan Malamute and you named him Zeus!

Another person bought him but kept him tied up in her front yard....IN FLORIDA!!! Hello....he's a snow dog!!!

So, not including the breeder, he had 2 families before us. He was a year and a half when I rescued him. He is a dream dog. I take him everywhere - I can't believe no one wanted him.

He is pretty well behaved and he LOVES LOVES LOVES kids. And they love him. It brought tears to several eyes when a kid who was afraid of ALL animals - dog, cats, hamsters - asked me if he could pet Zeus. Zeus - this huge big ball of fur and teeth with a tail that could hurt you.....and this kid wants to pet him. We were all happy, and I was proud of my dog!

During the last few months we could not keep him and my good friend - his dog sitter/"other mother" has had him. We miss him! She will be driving him to us next month and we can not wait! But she is sad to be giving him back!

You can not judge a dog based on the idiot owners who have had him before!

Both my dogs had multiple prior families - and both my dogs were well behaved, sweet, EXCELLENT with kids, etc..... I can not say enough good things about my experience with rescue animals. Hey, even my horse. She was 20, had a few owners prior to us, and she was the best horse that ever walked this earth.

I do not do puppies! I will take an older dog over a puppy any day!

With an older animal you can see their personality and deamenor, whereas all puppies are cute and hyper.

Dogs are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I cannot imagine my life without dogs & the years we couldn't have one because of condo rules were only tolerable because my parents had gsd's which we got to housesit a fair bit as my parents travelled a lot.

You can also hire trainers who will do just that - for a small fee they will assess a dog for you and help you get a well matched dog. Some trainers will apply part of that fee towards the first training class, esp if you're picking from a shelter or rescue (you can hire them also to do a puppy temperament assessment if you're going the breeder route; the really bold one who comes running to you so friendly might be a very dominant smart alec dog which turns into a real handful when an adolescent)

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you, that is a really good tip.

I did post that dh was now seriously considering a dog because of my fear at night...but it is not so much for a security or attack dog, I think a small dog would do,

I am just thinking that a dog who loves his family is going to let us know that someone is in the house who shouldn't be..that is what I really want, just some warning so I can pick up my base-ball bat! Tho, for a moment, a big dog was tempting.

I grew up almost always having a dog, so I can look back and see the pros, we had a few great pets, and also the cons..we had a few who didn't work out. We never took one to the pound, most were usually strays that 'found' us, and sometimes they just ran away one day. Two got sick and died, one was a stray-the best we ever had, but he was already old and he died of old age after a few years.

I do know that mom ends up with most of the duties, already been there/done that with the guinea pigs, lizards...

We were considering a dog a few months ago when a friend took in a stray that could not stay with her...the deal breaker at the time was that dh was imaging sticking the dog in the backyard, I was thinking that to be part of the family, the dog should be in the house with his pack..we had different ideas of what having a dog is. But, now that he is considering it to help with my nightmares, it would of course have to be in the house with us.

We wouldn't take a dog that isn't working out to the pound, we would just stick it out and be a little unhappy with the situation, but that is not what I want to happen...I am trying to go into this eyes wide open and do it in a way that will bring a great outcome.

I think we are moving forward with getting a dog...but we decided not to rush the process, we are going to take a good 8 months or more to research and learn how to train a puppy.

Thank you for all the advice and links, the links and book recommends are great!:001_smile:

It is what it is.

I hated that dog.

That's all.

Sweetpeach,

so sorry about your situation, I can totally see that happening with the wrong dog! I don't want to be living that down the road!!

I have had friends and family with dogs that drove me crazy and I couldn't imagine living with daily..I guess that is why I am looking at this carefully and trying to make a good decision.

really, really sorry you went through that!

they are lots of work. Lots of joy, but lots of work.

If you want one for security, who is going to train it? Do you just want it to bark (deterrence)? I repeat, you don't have experience - who is going to train it?

I always wanted a dog. Never could have one as a child. Got one shortly after we got married. Never could go anywhere after that without DH being concerned about how long we had been gone (got to get home to walk the dog), or being unable to go anywhere (the kennel cost more that most of our accommodations on vacations). One of our dogs died while we were on vacation - in the kennel - talk about sad!

When the second dog died, DH and the kids wanted another dog. I love the new dog (not so new anymore) and he is well behaved and tolerant of DD, but we're back in the same boat - someone has to be home to take care of the dog - I can't tell you how many times we've left events early to get home to walk the dog, get the dog out before bed... I want to go on a cruise with my BFF and DH is worried about who will take care of the dog while *I'm* gone. You know the dog he and the kids wanted?

No you don't want a dog. If you want something that barks when the doorbell rings, get a a tape recorder.

but we're back in the same boat - someone has to be home to take care of the dog - I can't tell you how many times we've left events early to get home to walk the dog, get the dog out before bed...

If we are going to be out for some time, we leave her in the run: she's safe there and can go into the dog house if it's cold or wet. We don't have to worry about getting home at a particular time.

Best wishes

Laura

Sherri,

thanks for the plug for beagles! That is one breed I am interested in.

someone else mentioned their mastif, I think those are neat dogs too, and very gentle..I would love to look into one but dh doesn't want a huge dog, so out goes the great dane idea, too. I think an abundance of drool would be too much for me, also.

Dh mentioned a basset hound, but...the kids want to take it for runs and walks, after seeing PW's basset, I don't think he would make it far!

The kids are busy researching, problem is they keep coming up with these lists of exotic, rare type breeds we've never heard of...we will keep looking.

Unfortunately, I think the rescued stray is out...tho I have a feeling it would have worked out well for us, dh has bad feelings about getting an abandoned dog. I don't think his ideas are correct..but, I don't want to go head to head with him and color our getting a dog-in a bad light. I want him on board 100% with whatever we choose.

KateMary,

thank you for taking the time to write down all your tips! If you ever sit down to write more about owning a dog, please let me know!

I am reading "Dogs for Dummies" right now..and looking for more good reads. I did have experience with many dogs growing up, but never from the perspective of knowledge needed for actual training.

I think we have narrowed it down to a middle sized dog, but I am going to try to take dh to see a standard poodle. I want to find out more about beagles too. I think a rescued grayhound might be out, because it will chase our cat, but I am still going to call a rescue place and ask about that.

and, if anyone skipped to the end and didn't read my other posts, it is not just for security, we almost got a dog earlier for the kids. I know a 'security' dog is not what we would want, a friendly family dog is what we are looking for. But, I think having a dog will make me feel better, knowing that a dog will at least alert us to someone breaking into the house- I think that knowledge will help with my nightmares. We are still studying it seriously, and we could decide to keep things the way they are and just get a security system.

thank you for all the great tips and stories, I will be checking out all the links!

In many ways, I think having a dog is like having a child. Dogs can be messy, destructive, and annoying. They need food, vaccinations, medication, shelter, training, and attention. Just as your children didn't come into your family knowing all the rules, neither will your dog. There will be times when it will try your patience, and there will be times when it will cuddle up with you or look at you with that look of utter love and devotion that makes you wonder how your life was ever complete without it.

Some people just aren't cut out for having dogs, and there's no shame in admitting that if you suspect you're one of those people. I think that the rewards of having dogs are more than enough to compensate for the inconveniences, and I'm willing to put the time into training my dogs so that they will know our rules and expectations and be able to live by them.

I've skimmed through your posts in this thread and wanted to mention a couple of things:

- As a Labradoodle owner, I've become very partial to that particular mix (to the point that I can hardly believe anyone would ever want any other kind of a dog :tongue_smilie:), but I love the idea of a Standard Poodle, too, and think that the things I love best about my Doodle probably come from the Poodle. Poodle's grooming needs tend to be a bit higher, however, so you'd need to take that into account if you decide to go that route. I have my Labradoodle groomed twice a year, and that seems to be sufficient. Neither breed sheds much, which for me is a huge plus!

- I'm not sure what your husband's objections are to a rescue, but I think that's often the best way to know what you're getting in terms of dog personality. Puppies can be hard to predict, but rescued dogs - particularly those who have been in a foster home - often come with detailed information about their personalities and any issues they might have. I think that most fosters are very committed to finding the right families for their dogs and will not try to mislead prospective owners.

- I've never had chickens, but we trained my Labradoodle not to chase the pet bunny that runs freely on our back porch. We squirted her with a squirt bottle every time she even looked at him, and within a couple of days, she was giving him a wide berth! That said, she seems to have a much stronger instinct for chasing birds - a legacy from the Lab, I suspect - and I'm not sure we could ever be comfortable allowing her in a yard with chickens. If not chasing the chickens is an important factor for you, you might want to research the breeds you're considering carefully and make sure they weren't bred for bird hunting. Those instincts have been carefully cultivated by breeders for generations, and they're really hard to train out.

All I have time for now, but I admire you for considering this decision so seriously and hope that if you do decide to get a dog that it will be a blessing to your family :).

Best,

SBP

If we are going to be out for some time, we leave her in the run: she's safe there and can go into the dog house if it's cold or wet. We don't have to worry about getting home at a particular time.

Best wishes

Laura

THe only problem with that is many breeds might try to dig there way out and if no one is home at that time then no one will know he has run off.

Another thing, is it puts them under more chances of being hurt by another animal (we have A LOT of bear around us who attack dogs often), or people.

So, still something to think about.

Sherri,

Unfortunately, I think the rescued stray is out...tho I have a feeling it would have worked out well for us, dh has bad feelings about getting an abandoned dog. I don't think his ideas are correct..but, I don't want to go head to head with him and color our getting a dog-in a bad light. I want him on board 100% with whatever we choose.

and, if anyone skipped to the end and didn't read my other posts, it is not just for security, we almost got a dog earlier for the kids. I know a 'security' dog is not what we would want, a friendly family dog is what we are looking for. But, I think having a dog will make me feel better, knowing that a dog will at least alert us to someone breaking into the house- I think that knowledge will help with my nightmares. We are still studying it seriously, and we could decide to keep things the way they are and just get a security system.

thank you for all the great tips and stories, I will be checking out all the links!

Most shelters now adays will even have helpers to help you pick out ideals of what you are looking for in a dog. Check with your shleters and have hubby meet with them and meet with them as a family. You would be suprised how helpful some shelters are.

Just remember that some dogs will not bark much even if they are supposed to and other dogs might bark more than they are supposed to.

What about a Keeshond, medium size, great family dog, active without going crazy. They have longer hari BUT it comes off in small clumps, easy to groom(brush weekly), pick up occassional small clumps. Sweet and cute dogs who are watchodgs(they will bark if they here something). I grew up with 2 keeshonds in my life as a child. We had a male and a female. Loved them both to death. Plus, they are adorable looking dogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeshond

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/keeshond.html

http://www.akc.org/breeds/keeshond/

Re-homed Greyhounds make outstanding pets. My sister adopted 3 off the track. She adored them. Funny thing is, they are couch potatoes! Very energetic for short bursts and then - hit the couch. Not hyper in the house AT ALL! She had cats in the house with them and had no problems. She obedience trained them and they did great! I would definitely recommend them as a good option.

There are 2 kinds of "security" dogs - guard dogs and watch dogs. A guard dog will actually guard you - come between a perpetrator and you and protect you. A watch dog simply alerts you to danger or activity. ANY dog that barks can be a watch dog which is all most people need to feel more secure.

Most people are not knowledgeable/ experienced enough to own an actual guard dog responsibly. ( Personal opinion here, no offence) There are also what I call intimidation dogs. These are dogs that are so intimidating in their looks that they scare people away just by their presence. English Mastiffs are such. Probably wouldn't hurt a flea but who's going to

chance it? Many dogs of the molosser origins are like this. Boxers are one. Now there's a smaller version of an intimidation dog that is actually a GREAT family dog.

A breed specific rescue is a great place to find a good dog if you are looking for a certain breed but would rather not do the puppy thing. Pretty much all the breeds have them. Just Google the breed name and the word "rescue". Also, breeders sometimes have retired show/ breeding dogs for a reasonable price to families. My girlfriend has 2 beautiful golden retrievers she got this way. Do not under any circumstances buy a puppy at a pet shop or from someone on a street corner. Just trust me on this - it doesn't matter how cute they are - don't do it.

One more recommendation if you want a smaller dog ( but not tiny) - Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier - they are the least "terrierish" of the terriers with a more mellow personality. ( then a typical terrier) Very cute too!

A word of caution about animal shelter puppies. Unless you are absolutely certain of the breeding - it is risky to get a puppy at the shelter for this reason. A mixed breed puppy can be mixed with a breed that you do not want, but not show physical characteristics of that breed. You may think you are getting a "lab mix" puppy and end up with a lab mixed with pitt bull. This has happened to many people I know including myself even though I was aware of the possibiliy and made an effort to avoid it.

I adopted a "lab mix" who grew up to be obviously part Chow - I could NOT tell when he was 6 weeks old. He turned aggressive and I had to have him euthanized at age 9 months old. It was horrible! My kids were devastated. I have a friend who adopted a "lab mix" pup that is now clearly a pit bull. They love this dog but are very upset that they have a pit bull in a house with small children - something they NEVER would have chosen.

Anyway- good luck, have fun, sorry so long - I'll stop now.

do check into labradoodles. :) They usually have the best qualities of a poodle, but aren't quite as "girlie" as a poodle is. ;) (We've always had poodles, dh is used to it by now & actually likes the breed a lot now, lol - but with my allergies we're pretty limited to dog choice lol)

Funnily enough, our "best" dog is a stray poodle who wandered onto our doorstep last Christmas. He's an absolute angel. We'd just had to re-home another poodle who just didn't fit in with our family dynamic (neighbors dogs attacked him - he was never the same afterwards, and since he could still smell those next-door dogs, he was a mess. He's much happier now) - our the stray wandered in at the perfect time in our lives. :)

As far as the chickens/hens go - you'll have to train him as a puppy to leave them alone. I do not think that's a guarantee, though. Our outdoor dog lets birds land on him, eat out of his food and water dish, walk right around him all the time - but every now and then he's in a playful mood and we'll find some victim in the backyard... :001_huh:

dh doesn't want a yapping dog. Or a small dog that would make you think 'yapping'. I wanted a Great Dane because of my fear...but dh doesn't want to go broke feeding it, so a really big dog is out. We love golden labs, I had one as a kid, but don't want a lot of shedding.

I met a standard poodle, the big kind, and was very impressed..hubby will take some convincing..

any suggestions? Should we just leave our lives alone and get a security system?

I walk everyday, and the kids would love to walk a dog, they walk the neighbor's several times a week for fun. It would get a lot of attention.

Growing up, my family had several dogs, but 2 stand out as wonderful additions to the family, and both were strays that just showed up...I know other people where the dogs just seem like a complication and destroy the yard, house and are not much fun to be around. Wondering if it is just a luck thing, or can you plan and train your way into a pet that is a joyful part of the family?

THe only problem with that is many breeds might try to dig there way out and if no one is home at that time then no one will know he has run off.

Another thing, is it puts them under more chances of being hurt by another animal (we have A LOT of bear around us who attack dogs often), or people.

So, still something to think about.

Not many bears around here. It's true, our dog is not a digger. The fence is six feet high, so another dog couldn't get in. This is a very safe area and we don't leave the dog outside routinely, so I don't see damage by a person as an issue.

Laura