Menu

Artistic judgement needed (Update: Pic of "winking")

I'm crocheting an afghan. It's a field of unicorns. I've made the unicorns white, but thought it would add visual interest to have one unicorn be a different color. I originally chose pink, but now he looks like a pig-icorn to me! I tried a brownish grey, but I'm feeling meh about that. Should I just make them all white (it's busy enough and doesn't need more craziness?)

20240722_092201.jpg

20240722_092238.jpg

Edited by Pintosrock
  • Like 6

I vote for all white, too. It's beautiful!!!

I'm not totally against the idea of doing one unique one, maybe right in the center of the afghan, so it looks like a conscious design choice and doesn't look like you ran out of yarn and stuck a different color in there because you didn't feel like going out and buying more yarn

But if you want to do one in a different color, I would agree with you that it shouldn't be pink. I can definitely see the "pig-icorn" being a problem!

Edited by Catwoman
Forgot something!
  • Like 2

I like all white, but maybe make one with a different facial expression? Winking, or both eyes open?  I don't crochet, so I have no idea how difficult that would be.  Your work is super cute.

Edited by Cecropia
repeating myself
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Cecropia said:

I like all white, but maybe make one with a different facial expression? Winking, or both eyes open?  I don't crochet, so I have no idea how difficult that would be.  Your work is super cute.

This is a great idea!

The afghan is fabulous!!

It’s amazing!!!

I would add the eyes and other details to the pink, put it with the others, and see if it still screams “pig”. 😊 I think it’s hard to decide with that part unfinished.

If so, the all white is a great choice. 

UPDATE

This last unicorn is going to go on the bottom right. The others are already sewn in, so I can't (easily) make the odd one in the middle.

Here is my attempt at open and winking eyes. My husband laughed hysterically when he saw the pig-icorn with long lashes. He says it really looks like Miss Piggy now. I just need to give her a curly mane...

For the winking eye, would it be better just to make it like the other closed eyes? My daughter insists the angle shape is right, but I'm not sure...

20240723_144659.jpg

• Like 4

• Pintosrock changed the title to Artistic judgement needed (Update: Pic of "winking")

I agree with your DH that the pink one really does look like Miss Piggy.  For the winking one, I'd either make the closed eye just a straight line with eyelashes or keep the curve with eye lashes like the other shape.  I think having just the open eye is enough different to make that one special.

• Like 8