Menu

Job stuff for me (again)-update

Posted (edited)

I’ve posted several times about trying to figure out what to do with myself now that my youngest is 16 and in school and I really need to find something to do with myself yet have no marketable skills. 

I have an interview tomorrow with a child care center at our local university- a satellite location of the state university system. The center provides care for children of employees and students of the university and is a setting for training early childhood ed majors. 

While low paying (as any job I’m applying for is) this one comes with a tuition discount for not only this university but also the flagship which is definitely on my 16 yo’s college list and there is a good retirement plan through the state. So it is promising.

I have a zoom interview tomorrow. We will see how it goes. Wish me luck! It is crazy how uncomfortable all of this is after so many years. 

UPDATE: Looks like it’s a go. Just gave consent for a background check. I had applied for part time and full time and they wanted me for full time. Which, might as well for the benefits and to maximize profits if I’m going to do this. But…it’s going to be an adjustment for my family. 

My hours should work pretty well with my dd’s stuff and I should always be done in time for the games she dances at etc but it will just be an adjustment. But something had to happen. So here it is 😬

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 38

6 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Thank you! I’m very much like whatever happens happens but it’s movement in some kind of direction of something. lol. 

Yes, doing something feels good. And I always learn things at interviews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

All the best with the interview! Great job even getting this far!! Stepping out of our comfort zone is pretty scary, but also provides us with opportunities to see what kinds of different things we can actually do. I like the challenge of keeping learning and growing mentally as my body starts to lose some of it's power and resilience. At least my brain is still capable of new things! 😉 

My dd just tested her strength and stretched her comfort zone by creating a 1 minute video cover letter for a job application. She thought about it for a few days before actually taking the plunge, and then did "about a hundred" tries before she was happy with the end product. Then she discovered that the video didn't transfer to the second job at the company, so she'd have to do another one. She'll do it, but needed a rest and recovery period first. 🤪

Going through the job finding process is tough!

Edited by wintermom

6 minutes ago, klmama said:

I hope the interview goes well! 

Regarding the tuition discount, is that just for the employee, or can it be applied for a family member?  

It’s full for the employee and 50% for a family member. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

It’s full for the employee and 50% for a family member. 

I’m a proponent of just starting somewhere and getting some momentum. I work for a community college. I’m only part time, but the full time benefits are really good and those employees are part of the state retirement system, so they can hop around to any state job and keep their benefits.

Dd worked at the state flagship university when she attended school there. Their preschool program was amazing and those little kids paid higher tuition than dd did. She had a great experience there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• teachermom2834 changed the title to Job stuff for me (again)-update

Congratulations 🎉 🎉 🎉 🎉 

Best wishes for a smooth transition. Before I started working we had a discussion here about redistribution of responsibilities. Things cannot stay the same as they did while you were home full time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1