Menu

Trip to Italy…..what might I be forgetting?

Ottakee

I am headed to Turin Italy soon and then 3 days/2 nights in Cinque Terre (Corniglia).

My goal is to pack as light as possible.  I will have access to laundry.

What are some things that are a must have for travel in Europe/Italy?   What might I really want with me but not be thinking of?

All of our actives will be very casual where jeans, tennis shoes and a sweater will be plenty dressy.

My only other international trip was Cancun to an all inclusive so that doesn’t really count.

Extra pair of walking shoes? You’ll be walking a lot and may want to switch out your shoes. Also, blister care so you can keep walking if someone’s shoe is rubbing them. (Guess who just got a blister on a trip while wearing the shoes that “don’t rub my feet” because I can “walk all day in them”) Vacation walking is different.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Extra pair of walking shoes? You’ll be walking a lot and may want to switch out your shoes. Also, blister care so you can keep walking if someone’s shoe is rubbing them. (Guess who just got a blister on a trip while wearing the shoes that “don’t rub my feet” because I can “walk all day in them”) Vacation walking is different.

I will be taking my hiking shoes and tennis shoes but blister care is a good ideas 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Coat?   We never had an issue about going into a church with bare arms.

But the time we went to Italy in the spring it was really chilly and we were so glad we had coats and warmer clothes. 

Taking my puffy packable jacket.  And I bought a good rain coat today….so hopefully then we won’t have rain every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Airplane blankie? Is that just me? I have a thin blanket that I wear like a big scarf and I always use it along with my pillow and eye mask. 

I also like the smaller wheelie carry on with a collapsible handle  that I can pick up like a satchel so I get a pass when the airline is full and they start making cuts. It’s served me well a few times. The passengers with the hardsided large rollie carryons all got sorted out to check their bags while I’m standing there looking like little ole me with my little ole bag. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

I seldom travel with jeans--they are too difficult to wash and dry on the road.   Hiking pants wash much more easily (and can be more comfortable).  Ibuprofen and any other over the counter meds you might want (you may not be able to find them over the counter at your location) and any eye drops or contact lens solutions.; A water bottle; phone chargers with plugs for your location; a copy of your passport and other important documents kept in a separate bag from the items themselves; a bandana (can be used for hair, a kleenex, a napkin, a bandage, to wipe sand off of feet....)a few extra ziplock bags (for storing wet bathing suit, extra toiletries that might spill, packing a sack lunch...)

• Like 7

Plug adapter

We have the Epicka one from amazon. Our phones run on either voltage—we didnt need anything there—but the plugs are different

Data card if you dont have an international phone plan. We use airolo.

Snacks—Cinque Terre is a set of small towns where things can close unexpectedly, and there arent a lot of options to begin with. Pack some filling snacks or plan to pick them up for your daypack when you are there. We find it helpful to pre-pin locations on our maps (the favorite feature on our iphones) and then when we are on the ground have siri navigate us from where we are at to the store. Pewex is probably my favorite Italian grocery store, but Carrefour Express’s are everywhere.

translate.google.com has a feature where you can snap a photo of something and it translate it directly. You can also speak into your phone and it will translate for you—in either direction. Make sure you are familiar with how the website works so you arent flustered using it for the first time.  

• Like 3

Great ideas.  I am staying with a friend so will have a built in translator and house to stay in.

blanket for the plane is a great idea:  need to find that small one we got on a different plane trip and pack that.

Snacks is a good idea as well as we have an Air bnb in Cinque Terre and have to walk a ways to find food.

OTC meds are in my list and I have 2 adapter plugs.

• Like 1

I bought these for my trip to France last year and wore them almost every day of my trip and probably 1/2 of the days since then 😂https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=533655002&vid=1#pdp-page-content

I can wash them in the sink and they’re dry by morning. They are super durable. Look brand new and it’s been almost a year and countless washes. 

I also used a travelon purse with lots of zippers. It came in super handy. I usually don’t even carry a purse at home, but loved having this available while I traveled. 

• Like 2

If you’ll be hiking in the NP maybe a camel back. We hike all over (US NPs, Alps, Pyrenees, etc.). Cinque Terre was surprisingly difficult and unless you go down into the towns not easy to refill water. Enjoy! It’s one of my fav places. 

• Like 1

I never travel with a blanket for the plane on an international flight.  There are airline blankets on the plane.  I wear layers so that i can adjust for how cool/warm the plane may be.  I travel with a lightweight, wrap sweater, a large scarf, and perhaps a sweatshirt that I can use to cover myself on the flight if I am cool.  These items can be worn/used at my destination.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I never travel with a blanket for the plane on an international flight.  There are airline blankets on the plane.  I wear layers so that i can adjust for how cool/warm the plane may be.  I travel with a lightweight, wrap sweater, a large scarf, and perhaps a sweatshirt that I can use to cover myself on the flight if I am cool.  These items can be worn/used at my destination.

Do all flights to Europe have the blankets?  We are flying Delta.   We have the economy seats.

4 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Do all flights to Europe have the blankets?  We are flying Delta.   We have the economy seats.

Any international flight that I have been on (and many have been on Delta--economy seats) have had a light blanket and pillow for each passenger--usually in the seat when you board.  

• Like 4

Last time we flew to Italy on Delta (about five years ago) they passed out one blanket per row of three seats! The flight attendant was embarrassed but said that's all they had. Even if you are besties with your seat mates, those blankets are tiny, lol.

Even places that have washing machines often don't have dryers, so taking quick drying clothes is helpful.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I travel with ear plugs for the plane to help me doze on the way over.

I also pack a rechargeable battery because I depend so heavily on my phone - tickets, directions, translations, photos, alarm clock, travel guidance, etc. I don't always carry it with me, though, since it is relatively heavy, depends on the plan for the day.

• Like 3

Good points.  I have usb charger and charging bank.   My friend has laundry for us at her house .  I will message her and ask about the pillow and blanket on the flight.  I don’t want to haul extra stuff with me but a pillow and blanket would make the 7 1/2 hour flight much better.

I am looking for hiking type pants but I leave tomorrow and my weight loss means none of the hiking clothes I own fit….. and I don’t have much time to go from store to store today.

1 hour ago, Beth S said:

Have a great trip!  (You can always buy something you need!)

I figure if I have my own shoes that fit well and have my orthotics and my meds I can borrow or buy anything else.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

You’re going to have so much fun!! Enjoy every minute😀 And yes, you can buy whatever you need, but you always need less than you think! 

I am trying to make each item mix and match…..I told my friend I am doing the adult version of Garanimals clothes.  And things that can be layered or used for lounging and sleeping, etc.

My vacation pictures might have me all in the same 3 shirts but ……

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Recharging  - in airports and on planes they sometimes only have USB ports, so my plug with adapter was useless for my phone when I missed a flight and was running low on phone power.

It isn't advisable to use public USB ports, fyi. Too much security risk. Far better to bring a plug and a battery for backup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We use an app called Translate that will translate any written words (so, at the airport, public maps, museum signs, menus, street signs...anything) from any language into English (or whatever you set it to). Just download Italian into the app and you won't have rely on your friend for everything. It translates spoken words too, but I use it mostly for signs and menus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

We use an app called Translate that will translate any written words (so, at the airport, public maps, museum signs, menus, street signs...anything) from any language into English (or whatever you set it to). Just download Italian into the app and you won't have rely on your friend for everything. It translates spoken words too, but I use it mostly for signs and menus.

Is it called just Translate?  I looked at apps and several with that name came up

Just now, lovinmyboys said:

Have so much fun! You sound prepared. I usually make sure to have passport, phone, and charger and anything else I forget I can buy or borrow. 

Passport is on 5 different lists.  Getting that out soon.

Duluth dry on the fly pants, also available as capris, are the bomb for travel. The material dries quickly and it's durable. Too late probably for your upcoming trip but maybe the next.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/womens-dry-on-the-fly-improved-slim-leg-pants-46703.html?color=INK

60 for me would be keens. I've worn mine miles and miles, weeks on end, dressed up, dressed down, no blisters. I only add sneakers if I plan to work out.

You shouldn't need to take a blanket for your flight. I would consider compression socks and if you don't have them do get up and stretch frequently. 

It's too late now, but the Time Shifter app is helpful. We do that before we go on our trips so we have no jet lag. You use sunglasses to help shift your circadian cycle. 

Have fun!! Your trip sounds amazing!!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Duluth dry on the fly pants, also available as capris, are the bomb for travel. The material dries quickly and it's durable. Too late probably for your upcoming trip but maybe the next.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/womens-dry-on-the-fly-improved-slim-leg-pants-46703.html?color=INK

60 for me would be keens. I've worn mine miles and miles, weeks on end, dressed up, dressed down, no blisters. I only add sneakers if I plan to work out.

You shouldn't need to take a blanket for your flight. I would consider compression socks and if you don't have them do get up and stretch frequently. 

It's too late now, but the Time Shifter app is helpful. We do that before we go on our trips so we have no jet lag. You use sunglasses to help shift your circadian cycle. 

Have fun!! Your trip sounds amazing!!! 

I have the flex dry on the fly hiking pants but they are from last year and too big.  I need to get there and get some new ones but the store is a ways away.  I do love them though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

@Ottakee I am so excited for you. What a fabulous trip!!

Go light. Last time I went overseas I brought 4 outfits. Next time I will go with 2. Yes, you read that right. It was a royal pain dragging around my suitcase and I would cut weight as relentlessly as any backpacker. 

Last time I travelled I took two pairs of walking trousers - one waterproof and one not - four exercise/quick dry t-shirts, two fleeces to layer, two pairs of Merrel waterproof walking shoes and a waterproof jacket. I could have lasted for weeks on that, washing clothes and air-drying overnight as necessary.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Last time I travelled I took two pairs of walking trousers - one waterproof and one not - four exercise/quick dry t-shirts, two fleeces to layer, two pairs of Merrel waterproof walking shoes and a waterproof jacket. I could have lasted for weeks on that, washing clothes and air-drying overnight as necessary.

Exactly. We almost always had access to a washer and usually a heated drying rack. It was easy to do washing as we went along. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ottakee said:

What I left behind and wished I had…..my neck pillow for my middle of the row seat in the flight from Detroit to Amsterdam.

That’s devastating. Sleep is the one key factor for overseas travel that is so hard to manage and so crucial. 

40 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

That’s devastating. Sleep is the one key factor for overseas travel that is so hard to manage and so crucial. 

They gave us a pillow but a neck one would have been nice 

• Like 2