Menu

Deodorant help please

Amethyst

My 24 year old daughter is having an issue with deodorants. She can’t use regular Secret or Old Spice, etc. She gets a rash in her armpits. She used Vanicream  for years, then eventually got a rash. Then switched to Clinique and got a rash after two weeks. She is now using nothing but fears she smells all the time. 

She would like to know what people use when they are afraid of chemicals. It’s not just the fragrance cuz Vanicream and Clinique have no fragrance. Any recommendations?

ETA: this is the same daughter who has had some pretty significant skin issues including bouts with alopecia. 

Edited by Amethyst

I've been using Nuud no weird ingredients, no fragrance. I only have to put it on twice a week in the winter and maybe 4 times a week in the summer so it last forever. I would order off Amazon not their website because it ships from the EU and takes forever to get here if you order from the website.

• Thanks 1

Is she possibly dealing with eczema or yeast in her armpits instead/also? I would have her patch test the next deodorant she tries on an outerarm or thigh next before using it in an armpit.

If she is worried about smells, swipe her armpits with apple cider vinegar until she gets this sorted out.

I’d make sure her next deodorant is aluminum free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe Native brand?

Years ago I made our own deodorant out of coconut oil and baking soda (I think maybe with arrowroot powder too). It was a recipe I found online. Worked really well, and our family has sensitive skin/ eczema issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have severe skin allergies, but mostly to fragrance ingredients. Therefore I can use the standard brands, but only the "unscented" scent. One of my kids is the same. (I started the kids entirely on unscented products their whole lives -- because I had to touch the stuff. Later I let them branch out and try things with fragrances. One was fine and loves the fun of products with pretty smells. The other is like me and has to be boring.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bumble and Bee sensitive—Schmidt’s has a similar one, but it needs to be the formula with arrowroot powder instead of baking soda. I’d get the unscented, as many of the scents are things that people are sensitive to—lavender especially causes many to react. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Is she possibly dealing with eczema or yeast in her armpits instead/also? 

We are somewhat concerned with yeast as a possibility but not convinced. She does have some eczema issues especially around the eyes, so that’s my first suspicion. But if it doesn’t clear up soon, we’ll consider the yeast more seriously. 

My grandma was allergic to deodorant and always used talcum-type powder (it's made with cornstarch now) under her arms, dusted on with a large powder puff. She never had any body odor that I noticed.

Edited by MercyA
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

We are somewhat concerned with yeast as a possibility but not convinced. She does have some eczema issues especially around the eyes, so that’s my first suspicion. But if it doesn’t clear up soon, we’ll consider the yeast more seriously. 

I had a yeast rash under my armpits once. It lasted a long time and it was a while before I figured it out. Apple cider vinegar, full strength, twice a day was the only thing that made it go away.

In the meantime I used coconut oil as a deodorant. It worked okay. 

• Thanks 1

For those of you that are suggesting apple cider vinegar, I have two questions. 

What do you use to apply it? I’m thinking a cotton round??

Also, won’t the vinegar sting? (Because of the rash, I mean)

12 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I've used vinegar on occasion. I have a small spray bottle I use. I shave my armpits and after my shower I would spray them, think, "ow! Ow! What was I thinking?!?" And then it stops stinging. I imagine a rash would be similar. She could test it on part of the area.

When I've used it, it has been because my deodorant met a bacterial colony it couldn't handle. After a couple of days of vinegar I can go back to my usual deodorant.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I use a cotton round, a disposable one, because whenever I have skin irritation I have to take extra precautions against infection as I am on immunosuppressants. 

The vinegar stings only if you have open breaks on your skin, and even then, I am ok with that as the weak acid is an efficient bacteria fighter without being abrasive. The effect on skin ph is transitory—the body is back to normal ph after about an hour. 

If the stinging is too much, she can try dermol500.

But, seriously, 5 days of tacrolimus ointment clears up my armpit eczema most of the time. Wear cotton bras and sleep in cheap cotton tshirts. If she has to dress up for work, skip the ointment until she is home. It stains.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

When I've used it, it has been because my deodorant met a bacterial colony it couldn't handle. After a couple of days of vinegar I can go back to my usual deodorant.

I am super curious about this.  Is this a thing?

50 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I am super curious about this.  Is this a thing?

It has worked for me 2, maybe 3, times and I've seen a couple of other WTM posters report the same thing. While it makes sense to me scientifically I've never seen it reported by an authoritative source. Does anybody study "deodorant and its affects and pitfalls"? 😄 I use Tom's unscented and have for many, many years. I thought maybe it wasn't powerful? strong? harsh? enough to kill all the bacteria all the time, but I don't really know what is happening under there.

17 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I just used a washcloth. Anything would work. 

It did sting for a few seconds, but the relief was so worth it. It took about a week to fully go away. 

I threw out all my old deodorants in case they were contaminated, and tried to wear loose shirts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

It has worked for me 2, maybe 3, times and I've seen a couple of other WTM posters report the same thing. While it makes sense to me scientifically I've never seen it reported by an authoritative source. Does anybody study "deodorant and its affects and pitfalls"? 😄 I use Tom's unscented and have for many, many years. I thought maybe it wasn't powerful? strong? harsh? enough to kill all the bacteria all the time, but I don't really know what is happening under there.

There have been a lot of studies on acv + eczema, acv + bacteria, and so on. Results are mixed to poor on eczema relief alone but mixed to good on bacteria killing. It makes sense—eczema is fundamentally a failure of the skin barrier. A weak acid isnt going to fix that (though anecdotally people in the reports do note swelling relief and itching relief). 

IDK, it’s something I tried skeptically when I was waiting to get in for a derm appointment for a med switch and I was having other AI flareups at the time and it worked. I have tried it a few times sense and always find relief from perceived odor when I have to take a break from deoderant due to eczema flareups. Ointment + deoderant dont mix well.

• Like 2

Milk of magnesia. Heard about it on the hive. I put some in a little screw top jar and let it thicken for a while via evaporation. It’s very effective. I do use Lady Mitchum sometimes in the summer or when traveling, but the MofM is far more effective after LM than any other I’ve tried.

I would expect MofM to be gentle on skin.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 2:21 PM, Catwoman said:

Another recommendation for Native brand deodorant. I'm allergic to most deodorants and anti-perspirants and I can use Native.

Do you use the Sensitive type of Native deodorant? (I'm leaning towards the sensitive rather than regular, but I want to be sure it's effective.)

On 3/21/2024 at 9:10 AM, 4kidlets4me said:

I've been using Nuud no weird ingredients, no fragrance. I only have to put it on twice a week in the winter and maybe 4 times a week in the summer so it last forever. I would order off Amazon not their website because it ships from the EU and takes forever to get here if you order from the website.

Are you actually able to find it on Amazon? I am not.

3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Do you use the Sensitive type of Native deodorant? (I'm leaning towards the sensitive rather than regular, but I want to be sure it's effective.)

I use the regular. I don't think the sensitive type existed when I started using it, so I never bothered to switch. 

This is a 3-pack I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R6Y4RFP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a ton of different fragrances and I don't like strong smells, so I haven't even tried the Lavender and Rose one yet. The cucumber one was ok, but the coconut is the one I use most of the time because it seems a little milder to me and I like the scent of coconut. (It's sort of like a coconut hair conditioner fragrance, if that makes any sense.) I was worried that switching fragrances would be a problem (because I had always used the coconut until Amazon had a lightning deal on the 3-pack and I thought it might be nice to have a little change,) but the cucumber one was fine, too.

I have found that in my area, Target has the best selection of Native products, so if you want to sniff before you buy, that's the best place to do it. Also, Target runs a lot of sales on Native stuff, so if your dd finds something she likes, Target often has those "buy 2 get $5 back in Target Circle Rewards" promotions, so she can save a few dollars on future purchases.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I would definitely get the sensitive one. The baking soda can be really irritating.

• Thanks 1