Menu

Actors who are just too good

Laura Corin

I just finished watching the old BBC adaptation of Little Dorrit - highly recommended. I almost gave up half way through because I found Andy Serkis' portrayal of the lascivious murderer Rigaud so viscerally terrifying. 

I don't think I can rewatch the Hilary Mantel Thomas Cromwell adaptations, because I am still haunted by Claire Foy's interpretation of Anne Boleyn's terror at her impending execution.

Yes, I'm a lightweight. 

What performances have you seen that by sheer acting/writing power - not special effects or fancy editing  - have stopped you in your tracks?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

What performances have you seen that by sheer acting/writing power - not special effects or fancy editing  - have stopped you in your tracks?

Jonny Lee Miller performing in Frankenstein. I watched that online from the British National Theatre during the lockdowns. He did it so well I'm kind of still in shock and can't convince myself to watch the other version with him playing Doctor Frankenstein.

18 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Jonny Lee Miller performing in Frankenstein. I watched that online from the British National Theatre during the lockdowns. He did it so well I'm kind of still in shock and can't convince myself to watch the other version with him playing Doctor Frankenstein.

I've been meaning to watch that. It sounds amazing. Eta if I'm feeling strong.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

The first time I saw David Bradley and Timothy Spall they were playing really creepy characters in the 1998 BBC version of Our Mutual Friend, and their performances blew me away. They're probably best known for the Harry Potter movies (Bradley as Filch and Spall as Wormtail), but their performances really stand out to me in everything I've ever seen them in. David Thewlis is another actor who simultaneously disappears into a role and totally stands out.

And Judy Dench is a goddess — the other day I was watching this little clip of her on the Graham Norton show; Graham joked that Dench is a "Shakespeare jukebox" and asked her to recite a little something. She's just sitting there on the couch on a talk show laughing and joking around, and then suddenly she's reciting a sonnet off the top of her head that had the audience dead silent and me in tears. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I asked dh, and he said Rhea Seehorn has a scene on a tram in Better Call Saul that was truly transcendent. 

I think I would need to think on it a bit, but the first thing that comes to mind is Liam Neeson at the end of Schindler's List. I haven't watched it in a long time, so I'm not sure if it was the acting or the topic that touched me the most. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

I asked dh, and he said Rhea Seehorn has a scene on a tram in Better Call Saul that was truly transcendent. 

I think I would need to think on it a bit, but the first thing that comes to mind is Liam Neeson at the end of Schindler's List. I haven't watched it in a long time, so I'm not sure if it was the acting or the topic that touched me the most. 

It's funny that was what came immediately to my mind.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

Yes. She is unbelievably good.

Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad was the first actor to come to my mind.

• Like 1

Michael Shannon in the TV series "George and Tammy".  He's an intense guy anyway, but this one was just hard to watch.   

And one of the final scenes in Breaking Bad where Walter goes to see Skyler and admits for the first time that he "liked it", was good at it, and did it all for himself (the whole drug thing). 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, kathyl said:

And one of the final scenes in Breaking Bad where Walter goes to see Skyler and admits for the first time that he "liked it", was good at it, and did it all for himself (the whole drug thing). 

Dh said he and a friend were just talking about that scene a couple of days ago. He said both that show and Better Call Saul have some of the best acting he has ever seen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

Dh said he and a friend were just talking about that scene a couple of days ago. He said both that show and Better Call Saul have some of the best acting he has ever seen. 

Yeah, I loved Better Call Saul.  (And Breaking Bad, of course.)

• Like 2

Donald Sutherland

I remember him in Backdraft and was totally traumatized by his character. And, again as President Snow in the Hunger Games. I can only see him as a bad guy. He is probably a big reason I didn't like Pride and Prejudice from 2005. He also did a voice over for an orange juice commercial, and I absolutely refused to buy that brand of orange juice 🤣

Kelly

• Haha 2