Menu

WTH American Girl / GOT crossover?!?

Katy

This “Crystal” AG doll that popped up in my Instagram ads this morning is supposed to be Daenerys, right? Is this for creepy adult collectors, or does someone at Mattel actually think it’s a good idea for 8-12 year old girls?

IMG_1656.jpeg

Edited by Katy
Edited photo
  • Like 1

it's for adult collectors. I get the AG catalog still. 

I do feel that AG is going the Barbie route...a lot of their newest dolls and outfits are things like Disney and NFL Tie-ins. It feels like the historical dolls, and even the DOTY with her specific stories that are designed to relate to kids' lives are being minimized.

I do like that McKenna is a gymnastics coach in the book for the 2024 DOTY

• Like 4

Just now, Heartstrings said:

I didn’t eatch GOT thrones so it just looks like “fantasy AG” to me.  It could be Galadriel.  

The dress matches the most popular costume from the year the show came out. I made a similar gown for one of my kids from a pattern that year (but it was for a different, non-GOT character that happened to have a similar caped dress).

1 minute ago, Katy said:

The dress matches the most popular costume from the year the show came out. I made a similar gown for one of my kids from a pattern that year (but it was for a different, non-GOT character that happened to have a similar caped dress).

I think only fans of the show would know that though?   I think it was only available on HBO, which not many people have.   I would literally have no idea it was GOT if I saw it with no explanation.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I think only fans of the show would know that though?   I think it was only available on HBO, which not many people have.   I would literally have no idea it was GOT if I saw it with no explanation.  

Maybe. I only watched the first season because it was too much for me. 

1 minute ago, Heartstrings said:

I only know anything about it from hearing other people talk about it, mostly as chatter on podcasts.  No one in my regular life watched it.  No one I know pays or paid for HBO.  

Almost everyone I know pays for it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they took some inspiration from the GOT dress. I don't think she's supposed to *be* Daenerys though. The dress isn't the same color; the hair isn't the same style or color. Does Daenerys wear a circlet or arm cuff? I really don't know.

Curious, why do you think adult doll collectors are creepy?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they took some inspiration from the GOT dress. I don't think she's supposed to *be* Daenerys though. The dress isn't the same color; the hair isn't the same style or color. Does Daenerys wear a circlet or arm cuff? I really don't know.

Curious, why do you think adult doll collectors are creepy?

I don’t think all adult collectors are creepy. I think there’s a particular demographic attracted to this particular character.  For reasons I’d struggle to find an appropriate way to explain here. 

And I just read through all the reviews. Only a handful made a GoT reference. Almost as many compared her to Athena. And @Heartstringsis right, most reviews are from oblivious people buying them for a granddaughter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

This “Crystal” AG doll that popped up in my Instagram ads this morning is supposed to be Daenerys, right? Is this for creepy adult collectors, or does someone at Mattel actually think it’s a good idea for 8-12 year old girls?

IMG_1656.jpeg

I think she’s pretty and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy her for a girl of any age.  🙂 

Also, why would you consider adult collectors to be “creepy?” 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Katy said:

I’m sorry, but when I look at that doll and compare it to that photo, I do not see that dress or the resemblance to the character at all. 

It seems to me that people are just looking for a reason to bash American Girl dolls.

I watched GOT, and I can see that the style of dress is similar but I would not have thought it was Daenerys. More ancient Greek inspired, to me. I guess maybe the hair and eyes?

If the arm and headbands were more dragon-esque — maybe? But they are not.

But I’m sure someone could call her Daenerys and collect her! But mostly I think it’s just a sparkly holiday dress on a doll, with the hair and eyes playing into the winter theme.

• Like 3

I think it looks strikingly like Daenerys.  The upper arm bracelet, and the top of the dress and that it’s sleeveless with a cape — it really looks like her to me.  

I don’t think it “has” to be her but I think it does look like her.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have never seen GOT but have seen enough random shots and clips that I immediately thought that it resembles Daenerys a lot.  It does seem like a very deliberate choice.  And I would definitely not think she looks like Galadriel.

I think if they wanted to go for "generic fantasy doll," they would have made other choices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought Galadriel when I saw it.

I have not been happy for a long time with the company because it really does seem like big Barbie dolls. I really preferred the historical dolls and their stories. They phased out some of the historical dolls, and while they did add some new ones, it seems like they are moving away from having them. I suspect pretty soon they will be entirely phased out.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I thought Galadriel when I saw it.

I have not been happy for a long time with the company because it really does seem like big Barbie dolls. I really preferred the historical dolls and their stories. They phased out some of the historical dolls, and while they did add some new ones, it seems like they are moving away from having them. I suspect pretty soon they will be entirely phased out.

Everyone I know buys the Target or Walmart versions, so AG has a lot more competition than it used to.  I’m not in the right tax bracket to spend that much on a single doll.  I’m sure that’s impacting the  bottom line of AG, especially now with inflation being what it is.  Far more people are struggling with groceries and rent, so a $30 doll from Target makes more sense than whatever AG cost now.  

Edited by Heartstrings

Looks like her, but they added a couple accessories to try to cast doubt.     I think she's pretty and I might get her for a little girl who liked that type of doll, however, the game of thrones connection would always be there in my mind and frankly, that's gross.   I would just hope the kid wouldn't ever see the connection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I think she’s pretty and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy her for a girl of any age.  🙂 

Also, why would you consider adult collectors to be “creepy?” 

Not all adult collectors. Everyone stop reading here if you are *at all* a sensitive, pearl clutching type. I find people attracted to that character in season one creepy. Where she as a 14 year old with silver blonde hair was paraded nearly naked through a completely sheer (IIRC silver) dress in front of a prospective husband by her abusive brother, traded for protection, raped, and slowly fell in love with her husband and learned to trade sex for some power in her marriage. I understand the character evolved quite a bit in further seasons to be a mother of dragons, a leader in her own right and eventually turned downright horrible. But this dress is evocative of the first half of season one, and finding a 14 year old victim attractive enough to collect is revolting to me, no matter how strikingly beautiful she was. And I don’t care that it was a fantasy version of the middle ages, it was still a 14 year old trafficked and raped for entertainment of adults in the 21st century. And it was far from the most revolting thing that takes place in the first few episodes.

I agree that Mattel has downgraded the quality of the whole line and I miss the historical characters too. 

Edited by Katy
Typo
  • Like 4

It could definitely be "inspired" by GOT, just like the "ice princess" costume I bought Dd is basically suppose to be an Elsa costume (they just can't call it that because it's not official merchandise). Yes for the lawyers it's ice princess, most every girl with that costume on is saying Elsa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Not all adult collectors. Everyone stop reading here if you are *at all* a sensitive, pearl clutching type. I find people attracted to that character in season one creepy. Where she as a 14 year old with silver blonde hair was paraded nearly naked through a completely sheer (IIRC silver) dress in front of a prospective husband by her abusive brother, traded for protection, raped, and slowly fell in love with her husband and learned to trade sex for some power in her marriage. I understand the character evolved quite a bit in further seasons to be a mother of dragons, a leader in her own right and eventually turned downright horrible. But this dress is evocative of the first half of season one, and finding a 14 year old victim attractive enough to collect is revolting to me, no matter how strikingly beautiful she was. And I don’t care that it was a fantasy version of the middle ages, it was still a 14 year old trafficked and raped for entertainment of adults in the 21st century. And it was far from the most revolting thing that takes place in the first few episodes.

I agree that Mattel has downgraded the quality of the whole line and I miss the historical characters too. 

Ummmm… I can’t imagine how anyone is sexualizing this doll, because there’s nothing sexy about that doll or her dress. 

The dress isn’t similar to the GOT character’s dress. It’s not at all sheer. It’s not low-cut. The doll’s face doesn’t resemble the character and her hair is different, as well. Ok, it has a cute cape that works well for this kind of costume, but the fabric is completely different from the GOT cape and so is the shoulder detailing. 

I’m seeing a cute sparkly holiday American Girl doll with a fantasy-style costume. I’m not getting a GOT vibe from it at all. 

I actually find it creepy that people are sexualizing an American Girl doll and trying to create a scandalous narrative around a cute, sweet-looking doll in a sparkly costume.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

She's carrying a clutch purse. I'm not even sure this is supposed to be a fantasy doll. The purse (and Swarovski crystal theme) makes me think evening gown with some fantasy-inspired touches.

For several years running (beginning in 2019?), AG made special dolls in collaboration with Swarovski to benefit charity. The dolls' dresses were *covered* in Swarovski crystals. Some sold for $5,000 each. In 2021, they made similar but less elaborate dolls that sold for $250. This looks to be the next in the winter Swarovski line and sells for $265.

Here are two of the dolls from previous years:

image.thumb.png.73eef065bc5f5970dd537c80e0f3dcb3.png

image.thumb.png.587b95bd236e1949afec872a8c65f217.png

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Katy said:

There’s no way the actress was even a teenager in season 1, much less 14. I wouldn’t criminalize anyone finding her attractive. She was chosen because she’s objectively attractive. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MercyA said:

She's carrying a clutch purse. I'm not even sure this is supposed to be a fantasy doll. The purse (and Swarovski crystal theme) makes me think evening gown with some fantasy-inspired touches.

For several years running (beginning in 2019?), AG made special dolls in collaboration with Swarovski to benefit charity. The dolls' dresses were *covered* in Swarovski crystals. Some sold for $5,000 each. In 2021, they made similar but less elaborate dolls that sold for $250. This looks to be the next in the winter Swarovski line and sells for $265.

Here are two of the dolls from previous years:

I noticed the fancy evening bag, too -- it's so cute and I love little accessories like that!  

I hadn't known there had already been similar dolls in past years. They are all adorable, and this new doll certainly fits the same theme. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

There’s no way the actress was even a teenager in season 1, much less 14. I wouldn’t criminalize anyone finding her attractive. She was chosen because she’s objectively attractive. 

The actress may have been an adult, the character in the book and show was 14.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Katy said:

Everyone stop reading here if you are *at all* a sensitive, pearl clutching type

LOL says the person who started the thread freaking out about a doll you think is connected to an R-rated TV series that ended 4 years ago.

Your thread is a pearl clutch!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

The actress may have been an adult, the character in the book and show was 14.

Right. I get that the show was not cast exactly like the book. Maybe I misunderstood your use of ‘creepy’ but it sounded like you equated being attracted to the actress onscreen with being a pedo or that you think they’d be just as attracted if an actual child played that part. That seems a bit far fetched and witch-hunty to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Right. I get that the show was not cast exactly like the book. Maybe I misunderstood your use of ‘creepy’ but it sounded like you equated being attracted to the actress onscreen with being a pedo or that you think they’d be just as attracted if an actual child played that part. That seems a bit far fetched and witch-hunty to me. 

Nope, and technically a pedo is something attracted to someone pre-pubescent. It’s not witch hunty, I’m just surprised that anyone thinks that character at that age is a good crossover for a product that’s marketed to tween girls. 

Just now, Katy said:

Nope, and technically a pedo is something attracted to someone pre-pubescent. It’s not witch hunty, I’m just surprised that anyone thinks that character at that age is a good crossover for a product that’s marketed to tween girls. 

But it's NOT a crossover.

It just isn't.

This doll is NOT a GOT-themed doll.

If American Girl was going to release a GOT-themed doll, they would have done it years ago, while the show was still on the air. There would be no logical reason to do it now, because the vast majority of people would never associate this doll with GOT. But they didn't do it then and they wouldn't do it now, because it would be brand suicide for them.

I really don't know why you are obsessed with convincing people that this is some sort of perverted tribute to a GOT character. It would be completely out of character for the brand, and could actually be very damaging to a brand that is known for its wholesome image. Can you imagine the boycott something like that would cause?

Sorry, but I'm not buying your take on this at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

But it's NOT a crossover.

It just isn't.

This doll is NOT a GOT-themed doll.

If American Girl was going to release a GOT-themed doll, they would have done it years ago, while the show was still on the air. There would be no logical reason to do it now, because the vast majority of people would never associate this doll with GOT. But they didn't do it then and they wouldn't do it now, because it would be brand suicide for them.

I really don't know why you are obsessed with convincing people that this is some sort of perverted tribute to a GOT character. It would be completely out of character for the brand, and could actually be very damaging to a brand that is known for its wholesome image. Can you imagine the boycott something like that would cause?

Sorry, but I'm not buying your take on this at all. 

You don’t have to buy it. House of the Dragon Season 2 will be out in months, the intellectual property isn’t over at all.. And obviously it isn’t a direct crossover or it would be approved and branded like the Disney ones. 

38 minutes ago, Katy said:

You don’t have to buy it. House of the Dragon Season 2 will be out in months, the intellectual property isn’t over at all.. And obviously it isn’t a direct crossover or it would be approved and branded like the Disney ones. 

Yes, but the question still remains: Why would a brand like American Girl, that prides itself on being family-friendly, ever want to be even remotely associated with an R-rated, extremely adults-only franchise like Game of Thrones?

It makes no sense. 

• Like 3

I just don't see it. I showed the doll to dh, who is a big fan of the books and most of the show. With no context at all, he said the princess from neverending story. Then when pressed to continue naming people he said maybe Elsa but the dress color is wrong.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Yes, but the question still remains: Why would a brand like American Girl, that prides itself on being family-friendly, ever want to be even remotely associated with an R-rated, extremely adults-only franchise like Game of Thrones?

It makes no sense. 

I don’t know. Possibly because the character has a lot of fans and the doll designer figured most  people wouldn’t catch the connection or wouldn’t care. But a handful of reviewers that purchased the doll discussed the connection and said they had to buy the doll for that reason. I’m definitely not the only one. 

It also seems probable to me that Mattel wants more adult collectors and less children that play with the dolls as a long term customer strategy. The vintage historical dolls in my house are much higher quality than new dolls that barely seem higher quality than knockoff lines from Target or Walmart. And they certainly don’t care about history books or extensive collections of historical reproductions like they used to. Adult collectors will buy expensive dolls and keep them in the (now clear plastic) boxes on the shelf like Barbie dolls and not demand quality at all. They can make a $10 product and sell for whatever they want to. 

4 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I showed the doll to dh, who is a big fan of the books and most of the show. With no context at all, he said the princess from neverending story. Then when pressed to continue naming people he said maybe Elsa but the dress color is wrong.

Same. DH stopped watching the show but is familiar with the characters. He immediately said Galadriel when I showed him the doll. 🤷‍♀️

On the other hand, Mattel's main goal is to make money, so nothing would surprise me.

• Like 1

Is there a picture of the character in the dress that this is supposed to be representing?  Looking on Google the only similarity I can really see is the twists or curls pulled out in the front of her hair.  I don't see the GOT character with the headband/crown thing and the only similarly colored dress that I can find has a different look around the breast and waist area.  Clearly, my Google Fu isn't working.  

I do think it's possible that they pulled some inspiration from the GOT character but a lot of it just feels generic or common to me.  I'm not sure pulling inspiration from is the same as promoting a crossover or knock-off though.  That feels like a stretch.  Especially now that I've seen on this thread that they do a winter formal doll every year, the blue crystal doll even has a similar headband and arm cuff. She could be a knock-off of Elsa with the blue dress.