How do you view Christmas?  

1. 1. How do you view Christmas?

• Family Holiday
    • National Holiday
    • Religious Holiday - Actual
    • Religious Holiday - Symbolic
    • Other - Please Explain
    • Do Not Celebrate Christmas

I should have voted other too. I look at Christmas as sort of family reunion with a beautiful centerpeice (the decorated tree).

I love the anticipation, the food, Santa, the excitement in children's eyes, the gifts, the food, the ribbons, the lights, the food and the years that it gets below 70 degrees here in Houston. Oh, and the food. I just love all the food!

I sort of feel that religiously Christmas was created to pacify the pagans of that time. It gave them away to continue to celebrate their own traditions (they kept their own date and symbol) but put a different name to it making it 'legal'. A compromise. At least that is the history I read. I am actually not sure if it is accurate or true though...it was just an interesting something that I read once long ago.

Yet...I have a little nativity I pull out at Christmas. So...ya know...they don't call me wishy washy for nothing.

"One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord . . .

Paul was speaking of Jewish festivals, which were originally established by God. God showed outrage when his people adopted the customs of pagan nations in their worship. (Exodus 32) This is why my family does not celebrate any of these holidays. We only observe the one day that Christians observed in the scriptures.

Paul was speaking of Jewish festivals, which were originally established by God. God showed outrage when his people adopted the customs of pagan nations in their worship. (Exodus 32) This is why my family does not celebrate any of these holidays. We only observe the one day that Christians observed in the scriptures.

Scripture, and I have Christian friends who do not celebrate Christmas for the very reason that you do not celebrate it. I understand those convictions and respect them. Nevertheless, I believe that without twisting the meaning of Scripture, and this Scripture in particular, that it is possible for a Christian to celebrate Christmas in a way that honors God. As you are probably aware, there are numerous other Scriptures like the one I quoted and like ones from Colossians 2:16-17: "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ." My point was not to be controversial with anyone; rather to emphasize that I believe that in Christ there is liberty for Christians to celebrate or not celebrate the holidays. Despite the fact that Paul was addressing the question of Jewish festivals, nevertheless I believe this Scripture (and other NT Scriptures) have an application for today that is not necessarily limited to the subject of Jewish law. Again, the substance is found in Christ, not in whether or not we celebrate the holiday. I am at peace with that, and I believe that God is honored when we try to honor Him according to our differing convictions.

To elaborate my own view a little more: I love christmas, but it is just another day. In the bible we are never told to celebrate Christ's birth, just His death. And we are told to celebrate/remember His death every Sunday. All Sunday's are equal. And Sunday is the only day we are to hold above any other.

I may have worded things a little weird, I do see it as a family holiday, but not 'worshiping' family. It is a wonderful time set apart from 'working days' to be with family, to visit, to give/receive gifts (I like the giving better), and to see all the blessings we have (people, objects, love, ect...).

Sometimes I have a hard time explaining myself in a good way, things don't go from my brain to my mouth (or fingers) without getting jumbled up a little.

Merry Christmas (to all who celebrate)

God Bless (everyone)

Michelle McIntosh

Though we do sing songs about Jesus' birth during this time of year (we actually sing them at other times too, though), we really see Christmas as a family tradition -- all about fun, giving, and feasting.

Dec 25 was not chosen for it's Christian significance, and Jesus most likely was NOT born in December. We stopped trying to put the Christ back in Christmas and stopped calling Jesus the reason for the season -- choosing to have pure, simple fun this time of the year and making sure we walk in a manner worthy of His calling every day of the year.

:iagree: This is our view too.

Growing up in a different country, Christmas is celebrated differently there than in the US. Hence, I voted symbolic, not celebrating Christmas the way it is done in the US. There is no Santa coming to our house. St. Nicholas is celebrated on December 6. December 24 (Christmas Eve) is when we celebrate Christmas. The Christ Child (Christkind) brings the gifts.

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

Sorry - I didn't read the post first. I voted 'actual', but would have voted 'symbolic'. I don't believe Christ was born on Dec. 25th, but do celebrate His birth on that day.

I should have read you definitions too. I understood actual under a different framework than referring to an anniversary of the actual calendar date when something happened.

But if it wasn't for the "religious" aspect in the first place, there wouldn't be a holiday at all.

Saturnalia was celebrated by the Romans on Dec 21. Also Zoroaster celebrated the birthday of the Sun God on Dec. 25 (see Augustus Caesar World, G. Foster).

Christmas is a marriage of pagan and Christian traditions, and that is why some Christians don't celebrate it.

History shows that Jesus of Nazareth was born in the spring NOT in winter.

Saturnalia was celebrated by the Romans on Dec 21. Also Zoroaster celebrated the birthday of the Sun God on Dec. 25 (see Augustus Caesar World, G. Foster).

Christmas is a marriage of pagan and Christian traditions, and that is why some Christians don't celebrate it.

History shows that Jesus of Nazareth was born in the spring NOT in winter.

I doesn't matter to me when Jesus was born. And it's ok with me if some Christians don't celebrate Christmas. I'm just not gonna get twisted about the whole thing, KWIM? And since Christmas *is* mostly celebrated in our culture today, I'd rather participate and include the spiritual celebrations.

I doesn't matter to me when Jesus was born. And it's ok with me if some Christians don't celebrate Christmas. I'm just not gonna get twisted about the whole thing, KWIM? And since Christmas *is* mostly celebrated in our culture today, I'd rather participate and include the spiritual celebrations.

:iagree:

But I do teach my dc that Jesus wasn't born on Christmas day. We're currently reading aloud Luke, as a family, after dinner every night for 24 days.

Merry Christmas!

Deuteronomy 12:29-32 "The LORD your God will cut off before you the nations you are about to invade and dispossess. But when you have driven them out and settled in their land, and after they have been destroyed before you, be careful not to be ensnared by inquiring about their gods, saying, "How do these nations serve their gods? We will do the same."You must not worship the LORD your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods, they do all kinds of detestable things the LORD hates. They even burn their sons and daughters in the fire as sacrifices to their gods. See that you do all I command you; do not add to it or take away from it."

I think God is pretty clear that He does not want us mixing how we worship Him with how other religions worship their gods. This pretty much sums up why we gave up Christmas. A quick study in the origins of Christmas and Easter will be surprising to most Christians who have no idea where things come from.

Edited by Scuff

Deuteronomy 12:29-32 "The LORD your God will cut off before you the nations you are about to invade and dispossess. But when you have driven them out and settled in their land, and after they have been destroyed before you, be careful not to be ensnared by inquiring about their gods, saying, "How do these nations serve their gods? We will do the same."You must not worship the LORD your God in their way, because in worshiping their gods, they do all kinds of detestable things the LORD hates. They even burn their sons and daughters in the fire as sacrifices to their gods. See that you do all I command you; do not add to it or take away from it."

I think God is pretty clear that He does not want us mixing how we worship Him with how other religions worship their Gods. This pretty much sums up why we gave up Christmas. A quick study in the origins of Christmas and Easter will be surprising to most Christians who have no idea where things come from.

So much for not debating the issue. :lol:

Anyway, for our family, it's mostly symbolic and cultural. For the first time, this year we read an advent story, which was actually a wonderful tool to help us focus on the need of a savior. But as for December 25 being an actual holy day, we don't think of it as that.

So much for not debating the issue. :lol:

Really hard not to bring it back up when the side for celebrating Christmas quotes the same scripture in several posts with additional explanations.

There is a lot more information and scriptures out there, but I restrained myself due to the request of the OP and the general sentiments of the members here. Anyone interested in learning more can do so via PM, or their own research. Anyone not interested need not be further bothered on this thread.

Really hard not to bring it back up when the side for celebrating Christmas quotes the same scripture in several posts with additional explanations.

There is a lot more information and scriptures out there, but I restrained myself due to the request of the OP and the general sentiments of the members here. Anyone interested in learning more can do so via PM, or their own research. Anyone not interested need not be further bothered on this thread.

I agree.

See that you do all I command you; do not add to it or take away from it."

I think God is pretty clear that He does not want us mixing how we worship Him with how other religions worship their gods. This pretty much sums up why we gave up Christmas. A quick study in the origins of Christmas and Easter will be surprising to most Christians who have no idea where things come from.

oh, i think that at some point in our worship, we ALL "add or take away" from what God has commanded, merely by way of our sinful nature. I wonder how many things we "mix up" just because humans all tend to some things the same w/o ever observing others......

I would rather err on the personal liberty in Christ side than legalism of what every Christian should or should not do, but that's just me ;)

I do think there's a difference between discussion and debate.

Merry Christmas all!

**I voted religious- symbolic, and don't mind the whole Reason for the season stuff because I consider Christ to be THE Reason for EVERY season :D

It's a family and national holiday for certain. In our family we celebrate Christ's birthday knowing that it wasn't likely in December. Easter is far more important than Christmas from a religious perspective. Christmas is special because of the excitement of Santa Claus, the overall feeling of goodwill, and a wonderful reason to openly express our joy of life.

I voted "Symbolic Religious" holiday. We know it isn't Jesus' REAL b-day, but we take a purposeful opportunity to teach about His birth and life.

I understand why a Christian would not celebrate Christmas, and I have contemplated why and how we do things in our family. I personally think it's an issue of "eating meat" - ya'know if it causes your brother to stumble don't do it - but whether it's clean or unclean is a heart issue. jm.02

We do not celebrate Christmas. The only bit of our 25th that Christmas gets is when we call relatives who do celebrate it to wish them a merry one. We did school today. We celebrate Hanukkah because our ancestors did, culturally I guess. We celebrate winter solstice and the marriage of Zeus and Hera around that time for religious purposes. We celebrate New Year's because it's a national holiday. That's all the celebrating we can take in one month.

We don't do Christmas or other holidays. Not to offend others, but most holidays directly go against scripture so we keep away from those. We do observe the memorial of Christ's death as he commanded.

:iagree: Us too. People find it more than strange that we don't celebrate the holiday. Some are furious, some horrified, and some just speechless :tongue_smilie:.

It does help that my birthday is on the 20th, my husband's on the 26th, and my daughter's on Jan 5th.

We do not celebrate Christmas. The only bit of our 25th that Christmas gets is when we call relatives who do celebrate it to wish them a merry one. We did school today. We celebrate Hanukkah because our ancestors did, culturally I guess. We celebrate winter solstice and the marriage of Zeus and Hera around that time for religious purposes. We celebrate New Year's because it's a national holiday. That's all the celebrating we can take in one month.

Do you celebrate winter solstice on only one day, or does the celebration last longer than that? Does the day change from year to year? Is it the day after the shortest day of the year? I hope I am not buggy, just something I have been wondering about.

Do you celebrate winter solstice on only one day, or does the celebration last longer than that? Does the day change from year to year? Is it the day after the shortest day of the year? I hope I am not buggy, just something I have been wondering about.

You're not buggy. I've heard of some modern pagans celebrating it for three to nine days with the shortest day falling square in the center but I suspect that's rare. We just celebrate the longest night and the morning after, as in, "yay, the sun survived!"

Faith, if you don't mind....You agreed with my entire post but celebrate birthdays? just asking as it's a weird combination. You'll be the first I've met. Hope you don't mind.

To anyone: I have found this thread interesting really. The answers, in general, are a bit different than I would have supposed. And I liked finding a few like-minded ones also :)

Pamela, I was wondering the same thing.;) I don't celebrate birthdays, (or Christmas, in case you missed it) but it took a lot to change my mind about birthdays.

"yay, the sun survived!"

I am certainly glad that it did. I wish it was "awake" for longer periods though. :) Seems strange to celebrate the long night before, if you don't mind me saying.

I have learned so much more about other religions, including the various Christians, on these boards. There are many things that I never knew, or were never discussed IRL.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Faith, if you don't mind....You agreed with my entire post but celebrate birthdays? just asking as it's a weird combination. You'll be the first I've met. Hope you don't mind.

That's right, we do celebrate birthdays...it is an issue that we've struggled with in the past. However, we've been unable to find a reason not to celebrate birthdays. It is a time that we remember the actual birth (in the case of children), and a time where we "bless" each other by telling said birthday person why they are so special to us and the ways of the Lord that we see in them.

We've not been able to find any pagan roots, or Biblical commandments that would indicate that celebrating birthdays would be a sin against God.

While I respect other Christians who do celebrate, when we researched the issue in depth, it became very unclean to us. We just haven't found the same with birthdays, and since the 25th is not Jesus's birthday, I can't find the comparison with the two issues.

That being said, I'm open to discussion on the issue on why I might be wrong :001_smile:

That being said, I'm open to discussion on the issue on why I might be wrong :001_smile:

I can PM you with what finally changed my mind if you want. I have to go over it and remind myself. It is hard for me. My children are so special and I feel like I want to celebrate the day they came into the world. But after I read over the information (again) I am stronger in my faith and can go another year without a celebration.

I like the Christian focus on Christ's birth. I like the sacred music. I like the decorations. I like the family get togethers. I even like the secular music. I like the more general practice of generosity that spills over into everyday life. I like the church services. I love the privilege of having a way and a reason to invite people to church that don't ordinarily go. I love having the opportunity to teach little children at church about something that deepens their connection with our Faith. I love sharing it with my DH and DD and the rest of our extended family and others. I love the sense of hospitality and good will that extends so much further this time of the year. I love the displays and replays of old movies downtown.

But mostly for me this is all about celebrating Christ's birth, even though it's not on the actual day.

And it is tied in with the rest of the church year, so it's a chance to begin again the walk through Jesus' life that we do every single year. (The church year starts at the beginning of Advent, 4 Sundays before Christmas.)

I don't let all of the deplorable indebtedness-inducing, advertising-driven consumerism mess up MY holiday. Nope. Not me.

As I posted earlier in the thread, we do Solstice as well. We're planning on celebrating the Theogamia as well this season, when it falls on Jan. 22 according to the Macedonian calendar (Jan. 27 on the Athenian calendar). This will be a new addition for us as we work toward greater piety, and adjusting to using a lunar cycle is also new for us:). We are planning to install our new altar to Hera as the major focus of the celebration. Do you follow a different calendar (since I'm trying to learn more about them) or combine them for simplicity's sake (which I could see)?

Our celebration of Christmas is similar, because our extended family does it and because our ancestors did it. In fact, the losing of that connection with the ancestors was one of the big reasons I did not actually end up converting to Judaism about 12-13 years ago when I was strongly considering it. This year we did go to a Hanukkah party at the local temple because friends invited us---it was the first time we'd been involved in a Hanukkah celebration and it was a lot of fun.

We celebrate only one day, though this year we exchanged our gifts on the 20th due to scheduling conflicts on the 21st and did some other parts of our family traditions on the 21st. The day of the week changes from year to year, but we try to stay on the 21 or 22, whichever day is the actual solstice that year (per the astronomical calendar). When we were trying to celebrate with some other local Neopagans, our group celebration usually fell on the weekend closest to the date for simple convenience sake.

:iagree:

I like the Christian focus on Christ's birth. I like the sacred music. I like the decorations. I like the family get togethers. I even like the secular music. I like the more general practice of generosity that spills over into everyday life. I like the church services. I love the privilege of having a way and a reason to invite people to church that don't ordinarily go. I love having the opportunity to teach little children at church about something that deepens their connection with our Faith. I love sharing it with my DH and DD and the rest of our extended family and others. I love the sense of hospitality and good will that extends so much further this time of the year. I love the displays and replays of old movies downtown.

But mostly for me this is all about celebrating Christ's birth, even though it's not on the actual day.

And it is tied in with the rest of the church year, so it's a chance to begin again the walk through Jesus' life that we do every single year. (The church year starts at the beginning of Advent, 4 Sundays before Christmas.)

I don't let all of the deplorable indebtedness-inducing, advertising-driven consumerism mess up MY holiday. Nope. Not me.